Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera Turbo S - Official Info & Photos

Close-up speedo.

dash.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Stunning car--trying my best to resist.  Fantasies starting to grow.  Like the old joke:  "What did Adam say to Eve the first time he saw her naked?  Answer: "Stand back Eve, I don't know how big this thing is going to get!"

Anyone going to the debut at the New York Auto Show?  I am trying to use my international press credentials to get in on press days, but may be a bit too late.  Any New Yorkers have advice for getting in early? 

this PDK strip on the wheel is very tacky.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Porsche_Panamera_Turbo_S_02.jpgPorsche_Panamera_Turbo_S_5578_8.jpg13017470031672012-Porsche-Panamera-Turbo-S-9.jpg

Like I said before, would it kill Porsche to hire a photographer to take these pictures?

intouch1:

this PDK strip on the wheel is very tacky.

It's the LED display for Sport, Sport Plus and launch control

--

"Form follows function"

yeah, i know but still tacky. if anything works, then it's ahift lights integrated into the rim a la ferrari.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The best thing is to order the sports wheel with the paddles.2780.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Yep, the Sport Chrono status display is behind the black areas left and right on the steering wheel. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I agree the display is a bit bling-bling, and that paddles are cleaner looking.  But I spent some time recently in a pal's 458, and the steering wheel with all of its F-1 type buttons is complicated and busy looking..  And he says the blinker buttons on the wheel are irritating and counterintuitive compared to the "old" stalk system...

Sometimes I really ask myself one single thing: Why the heck don't car manufacturers actually offer with their PDK/DCT/DSG/whatever transmission a...stick? Just like manual, just without the clutch pedal. Didn't Porsche actually do this?

This would satisfy many many people, including those who may not actually like PDK/etc.

--

Several manufacturers offered an H pattern without clutch pedal, including Mercedes on the first A class. They all dropped this system. Not enough demand I suppose

--

"Form follows function"

Maybe the A class wasn't the right car for it? 

--

I think that the modulation of power through the clutch pedal is an integral feature of the manual gearbox experience. So, it's either the whole thing, clutch pedal and H pattern together, or full automatic with gearchange programs and paddles as a control medium.

These seem to be the overwhelming trends amongst consumers.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I think that the modulation of power through the clutch pedal is an integral feature of the manual gearbox experience. So, it's either the whole thing, clutch pedal and H pattern together, or full automatic with gearchange programs and paddles as a control medium.

These seem to be the overwhelming trends amongst consumers.

a sequential gearbox with a stick is very very entertaining too.

--

In Porsche PDK you can also use the stick in +/- mode. But most people who like manual gearchange enjoy the way the stick engages the gear, this firm and solid action when you lock a gear around the H pattern.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

In Porsche PDK you can also use the stick in +/- mode. But most people who like manual gearchange enjoy the way the stick engages the gear, this firm and solid action when you lock a gear around the H pattern.

It shouldn't be difficult to "simulate" that on modern cars.

--

Actually sticks are useless, Porsche should get rid of them. Ferrari and AM have.

SciFrog:

Actually sticks are useless, Porsche should get rid of them. Ferrari and AM have.

Do you know how many manual versions Porsche sells? Half of the available Porsche models at dealers are manual, so there has to be a huge market for it.

I don't get it either but to each his own I guess. Smiley

--

I believe many people would love to add the PDK but they already stretched themselves to get the car in the first place so they go super light on options...

--

There is no try. Just do.

RC:
    SciFrog:

Do you know how many manual versions Porsche sells? Half of the available Porsche models at dealers are manual, so there has to be a huge market for it.

They are at the dealers, because nobody wants to buy them anymore. Smiley

Seriously, I think PDK hurts the numbers of the manual transmission extremely, much more as any Tiptronic ever could. Perhaps it won't be as one-sided as in case of Ferrari, but I expect a PDK-manual ratio of 80:20 in the near future for sure. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Pentium:

I believe many people would love to add the PDK but they already stretched themselves to get the car in the first place so they go super light on options...

PDK should be a standard option but I still think that there are a lot of Porsche owners who prefer manual.

@Rossi: You won't believe how many people are actually ordering manual and how many are actually asking for manual even on the Turbo S. I don't get it... Smiley

--

Is there a "new" PDK, which will appear on the 991 and then on second generation Panameras?  If so, is it worth waiting for?  I am seriously considering a Panamera Turbo S, but would wait if PDK will be much improved.

Also, are the paddles on the Panamera significantly better than the wheel buttons?

RC:
    SciFrog:

I meant stick for PDK...

SciFrog:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

I meant stick for PDK...

For nostalgic reasons, stick(for PDK) may be a good idea. I also get the feeling that especially in the US, some people seem to consider manual to be "manly" and PDK not. Smiley

--

Wonderbar:

Is there a "new" PDK, which will appear on the 991 and then on second generation Panameras?  If so, is it worth waiting for?  I am seriously considering a Panamera Turbo S, but would wait if PDK will be much improved.

Also, are the paddles on the Panamera significantly better than the wheel buttons?

There will be always improvements, even the current PDK has been improved since it appeared on the market.

Drive a Panamera Turbo. The Turbo S is the same, just with an additional "kick". 

Paddles or buttons...kind of a personal preference. I actually like the buttons but maybe because I'm used to them. The paddles aren't bad either but this is really a matter of personal gusto.

--

Thanks RC.  I am going to the New York show, and will take and send some pics of the Panamera Turbo S which is supposed to debut there.  Also, my wife and I are headed to Monaco next week for a few days, and there is always plenty of car "eye candy" there to photograph and post. 

I do not know if its more manly, but for me I find the manual more fun. However, I am starting to warm up to the idea of PDK with paddles in my next car.  I will need to get some seat time in a 991 with paddles before I make my decision.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

The specs say the Panamera Turbo S has 20-inch Turbo II wheels with increased rear axle track width.  Is the increased rear axle width just a result ot the wheels, or is the increased width a result of spacers or something else new?

Here is a pic of the black turbo S at the Porsche stand at New York Auto Show.  Not a great pic--I still have not figured out how to compensate for the glare from the show lights.

The car was basalt black metallic with black/cream interior, ceramics, Burmeister, rear apron, and other goodies (the coolest and most extravagant of all was the leather covered interior trunk panel).  The car had the multifunction steering wheel with buttons, which I think I now prefer.  The PDK panel above the wheel horn button is actually very attractive and understated--not tacky at all.  The car was absolutely stunning, 

I did note the lack of trunk space compared to my Cayenne Turbo S.  There is certainly not room for the skateboards and other assorted junk I have to cart about these days for my family.  The car also obviously sits much lower and is therefore more of an effort to exit--which regrettably I am beginning to notice at 68 years old.  But nevertheless, I am on the verge of ordering one.

The new Agate Grey color is not available until September, as noted above on this thread.

I was a bit disappointed with the car's press "debut" however,  The focus of the press conference was on the Panamera Hybrid S, a crystal green metallic model, and on the fascinating Lohner Porsche which was patented by Ferdinand Porsche in 1908 and masterfully recreatednew york auto show 005.jpgcreated by Hubert Drescher who attended the show with his wife.  I will post pics of the S and the Lohner in a following post.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689935 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409431 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255838 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235070 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858184 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774294 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM