Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla sues Top Gear

We all know their reviews and sketches are staged and scripped but this is pathetic:

The show featured Jeremy Clarkson saying the Tesla ran out of charge at 55 miles, with footage of it being pushed around a garage, ending with Clarkson saying "It's just a shame that in the real world it doesn't seem to work."

Shortly after it aired, Tesla said the Roadster never lost its charge, never needed to be pushed and asked Top Gear for some kind of retraction. After some sparring, the BBC admitted the footage of the push-powered Roadster was meant to show what could happen, 

--

Somebody was too lazy to drive the car the few miles more which would have been necessary at track speeds to really deplete the battery.  Smiley

--

fritz

Carlos from Spain:

We all know their reviews and sketches are staged and scripped but this is pathetic:

I don't like Top Gear. The reason is simple: You can't make a car show for serious people using dumb jokes. It would be so much more fun if they would do some crazy stuff with the cars instead, like crazy driving, showing off, etc. but the comments are usually below the belt and sometimes just plain untrue or very biased. Why many people enjoy Top Gear and while Top Gear sometimes really has its funny moments, the show itself is more of a car show circus but not a reliable source for car information or car reviews.

I would love to see a high value, serious show about sports cars, with good reviews and even better video footage but I guess it is never going to happen. I also hate it when I hear music instead of the original car sound, this is just pathetic.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I feel the same, unfortunately it seems that there is is not enough audience for a seroius car show, which is also sad if you think about it. It was this way when TopGear started years ago and it had Tiff and Vicky, and Jeremy was one of the secondary presenters with a bad hairdoo...

I watch TopGear for the humorous content, but sometimes they go a bit too far for those ratings and they should realise that somethings cannot or should not be stagged for the benefit of the scrip and entertainment value. If you are doing a sit-com then everybody knows that everything is 100% fictional, but if you present yourself as a documentary with a comical tint, there there are limits to what you can make up for the sake of the comedy. Same with a car show or home improvement show or cooking show, etc. You can't appear to be "testing" a car and make up stuff about it just to make the review more entertaining, there is a company behind that car, customers, etc.

I don't know if they will win the lawsuit or not, but in an ideal world just the publicity of what they did should be more damaging and would take the "three stooges" of their high horse and bit... unfortunately its not an ideal world.

--

Carlos from Spain:

I watch TopGear for the humorous content

I sometimes watch them for the same reason and to actually see some nice car video footage. Jeremy Clarke is a clown. Apparently other people love him. 

Yes, maybe Top Gear would have a much smaller audience without these jokes but it really takes away a lot of the quality of the show.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

TopGear is to sportcars what WWE wrestling is to sports 

--

Carlos from Spain:

I feel the same, unfortunately it seems that there is is not enough audience for a seroius car show, which is also sad if you think about it. It was this way when TopGear started years ago and it had Tiff and Vicky, and Jeremy was one of the secondary presenters with a bad hairdoo...

I watch TopGear for the humorous content, but sometimes they go a bit too far for those ratings and they should realise that somethings cannot or should not be stagged for the benefit of the scrip and entertainment value. If you are doing a sit-com then everybody knows that everything is 100% fictional, but if you present yourself as a documentary with a comical tint, there there are limits to what you can make up for the sake of the comedy. Same with a car show or home improvement show or cooking show, etc. You can't appear to be "testing" a car and make up stuff about it just to make the review more entertaining, there is a company behind that car, customers, etc.

I don't know if they will win the lawsuit or not, but in an ideal world just the publicity of what they did should be more damaging and would take the "three stooges" of their high horse and bit... unfortunately its not an ideal world.

Smiley to all that. 

Especially the comment about the bad hairdo.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

Smiley 21 Smiley 1 

--

Blithering idiots.... (those at Tesla that is)... The world is turning to *****!

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

No im with Tesla here. TG is going too far and it's not funny. They used to make fun of German cars like the CGT in saying that it was amazingly engineered and whatnot. They have a strong bias and now they let it show too much. In faking that the Tesla didn't even make it saying it just doesn't work... that's complete BS and not a bit funny.

The problem here is that the majority of idiots believes what they see in TG.

Hence sue them.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Tesla with its innovative EV concept need to defend themselves...

Clever advertising out of it...

http://www.teslavstopgear.com/

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Top Gear is an entertaining programme with some doses of English sense of  humour (which I find witty and enjoy myself). But you don't learn much about cars objectively. Lots of bias on behalf of Clarkson too.

View it as a show not as a serious automobile TV magazine.

--

"Form follows function"

I like Clarkson. He doesn't hide his biases. But in this case, he and TG are dead wrong. The problem for TG is if they acknowledge the rigged test, then the entire premise of the show loses its credibility is.

Often it is better to fight the battle, retreat to fight another day rather than loss the war.

--

nberry:

I like Clarkson. He doesn't hide his biases. But in this case, he and TG are dead wrong. The problem for TG is if they acknowledge the rigged test, then the entire premise of the show loses its credibility is.

Exactly. One doesn´t have to like Clarkson for his sense of humour and some of the stunts they perform on the show are questionable to me as well but it still comes somewhat surprising that they stage a car´s unreliability. In terms of carmedia, one would assume that most numbers are adjusted to the better...

Smiley

Wait a minute, someone actually takes Top Gear as a serious and credible source of information? 

For god's sake, these are the guys who tied a car to a low earth rocket, fired one out of catapult, put one on top of building being demolished, and every test ends in a 100ft long - tire smoking powerslide around the track.

No real car enthusiast would take anything said on Top Gear with anything other than a pinch of salt, but Top Gear appeals to a much wider audience and those who watch it think that they are then informed about a few car facts based purely upon what they have seen on the show.  As they know very little about cars what they see and hear on the show therefore sinks in as being factual.  I only know a few people in real life who are serious car enthusiasts and they all know TG is full of automotive twaddle but that it is still fun to watch. If however you talk to most normal people about cars they will often quote what something very opinionated which they have seen on TG or heard from Clarkson, which is of course frustrating at times.  As Porsche owners you must have run into somebody who has said, "yeah but Clarkson says your car is cr*p" at one time or another...

I can see how  Tesla who are desperately trying to build a brand here would be very upset by TG putting out an article that tells the mass public that their new car is all but useless as it will run out of fuel every 5mins, further reinforcing the public stereotype that electric cars are rubbish.

90% of the TG audience believes all these stunts.. it's a sad reality but unfortunately very true.

Adam:

I can see how  Tesla who are desperately trying to build a brand here would be very upset by TG putting out an article that tells the mass public that their new car is all but useless as it will run out of fuel every 5mins, further reinforcing the public stereotype that electric cars are rubbish.

+1

I think Tesla is being very smart and will turn this into positive advertising for them.

--

fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley to all that. 

+2Smiley

did the overheating and the kaput brakes really happen, or did they make that part up as well?

The best suv in the world which JC praises from the beginning of the show till it ends broke down over 5 times in China Smiley

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/report-angry-chinese-driver-tows-range-rover-back-to-dealer-wit/

Report: Angry Chinese driver tows Range Rover back to dealer with donkeys

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

The Chinese surely have a passion for a melodramatic showdown.  

I actually like it...  

--

Atzporsche:

No im with Tesla here. TG is going too far and it's not funny. They used to make fun of German cars like the CGT in saying that it was amazingly engineered and whatnot. They have a strong bias and now they let it show too much. In faking that the Tesla didn't even make it saying it just doesn't work... that's complete BS and not a bit funny.

Hence sue them.

Aaron, did you end up buying those Tesla stocks in the end? Smiley

j/k, I can imagine Tesla being upset. Especially as a starting company with a new product that people are not really familiar with, this could mean the end of their bussiness.

Topgear is really funny to watch, even though they don't appreciate porsche as much as I do ( Smiley), but they should keep a little hindsight to the ramifications of their actions. Humor is good, humor at cost of others... not so much.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

RC:

The Chinese surely have a passion for a melodramatic showdown.  

I actually like it...  

I agree. After watching the Lamborghini owner go all 'Hammer Time' on his car, the Chinese are turning out to be quite the interest disgruntled consumer.

Joost:
    Atzporsche:

Hence sue them.

Aaron, did you end up buying those Tesla stocks in the end? Smiley

I hope he did ( did you see the jump today because Morgan and Stanley put it on the ''buy'' list ) !!!  Tesla is doing well and the target for the stock price is over the double of what it is today. I hang on to mines Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

OMG i did but only a few

--

Gnil:
    Tesla is doing well and the target for the stock price is over the double of what it is today. I hang on to mines Smiley

I sold at 36...bought it at 22. Was an amazing profit but I'm not too much into electrical cars, so I will stay away now, even if electrical cars may be the future to some point.

Currently, there is too much hysteria floating around from the Japan nuclear disaster and I would wait until people get their common sense back. Smiley

--

RC:
    Gnil:
    Tesla is doing well and the target for the stock price is over the double of what it is today. I hang on to mines Smiley

I sold at 36...bought it at 22. Was an amazing profit but I'm not too much into electrical cars, so I will stay away now, even if electrical cars may be the future to some point.

Currently, there is too much hysteria floating around from the Japan nuclear disaster and I would wait until people get their common sense back. Smiley

The height of the hysteria was in fact a good time to buy. 

(I mean to buy shares generally, not Tesla particularly). 

--

fritz

Tesla is a good stock to play with volatility ( if you are into that )..... a slight brise can take it in any direction     Morgan and Stanley do see that price at $70.... ( by this weeks estimation )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I've bought and sold over 4 times now on that volatility. I figure with my small capital i might as well play this game. If worst comes to worst, I hold on to the stock and sell later letting it mature long-term.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688716 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408777 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65403 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857649 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773495 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM