Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New entry level Ferrari coming?

Powered by a bi-turbo charged V6 with 450-490 hp.

Just picked up this rumor today, not sure if this isn't old news to you guys.

This is serious.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: New entry level Ferrari coming?

New dino?

--
    MY07 Cayman S, Basalt Black, Black

Ferrari Boxster?

Doesn't sound credible. It wouldn't have a place to fit into the range. Ferrari has two distinct line ups nowadays; supersports cars (599, GTO, 458) and GTs (California, FF) and that's the long term marketing strategy of the marque.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Doesn't sound credible. It wouldn't have a place to fit into the range. Ferrari has two distinct line ups nowadays; supersports cars (599, GTO, 458) and GTs (California, FF) and that's the long term marketing strategy of the marque.

Trust me, it is coming. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Ferrari,are obviously  breaking with tradition in order to reach more market segments in an effort to improve their results.

The California, the FF and now this rumour.

However, don't forget that in Ferrari's history there were models like the 208 GT4 (2 liter NA) and the 208 GTB/GTS (2 liter NA and then turbocharged) in the 70s-80s, for markets with high taxation.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    REALZEUS:

Trust me, it is coming. Smiley

Date? 2012?

RC Can you tell more, if it`s going to be smaller then de 458 or Calif.

More track oriented or more road?

Thank`s

RC:

Powered by a bi-turbo charged V6 with 450-490 hp.

Just picked up this rumor today, not sure if this isn't old news to you guys.

This is serious.  

I thought this one is reserved for the new Maserati below the GranTurismo, which will be the successor to the 3200/4200? Smiley

Anyway, if Ferrari can't even guarantee for the quality of their cars of their current range, I really wonder how they want to manage this issue with an additional entry level car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rumours... you 've got to love them! 

I am willing to bet that there isn't going to be such a car. A Maserati perhaps, but not a Ferrari!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Diluted to a point it is now only a Fiat in red.... Entry level Ferrari sounds stupid.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

REALZEUS:

I am willing to bet that there isn't going to be such a car. A Maserati perhaps, but not a Ferrari!

Don't bet cause the Cali was also a rumor and it ended up to be true.

koko:
    REALZEUS:

Don't bet cause the Cali was also a rumor and it ended up to be true.

The Cali fits perfectly in this product plan. This alleged new car is a misfit!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Back then the Cali didn't make any sense.

I guess it makes sense. The new V6 Turbo for the new small Maserati is developed by Ferrari. it is a brand new engine. Ferrari will use it for a New model with a base price of 140.000€. Just my 2 Cents.

We 'll all be here and we will see what the reality will turn out to be. IMO the California is the lowest (price and performance wise) Ferrari can get. Anything below that is Maserati territory.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

No doubt, that is true. I am getting tired of ferrari executives lying through their teeth when the deny they are building cheaper models. They denied that the California existed until the last minute. In interviews, the CEO claimed that the cheaper model Ferrari's were the used Ferrari's. They would not build anything less than the 430 price range 

--

To be fair Nick they didn't build anything below the 430 price. The California took over the 430 price slot whilst the 458 moved up. The 458 spider will push the price up higher still.I'd be very doubtful this rumour is anything more than conjecture. A smaller, cheaper car would potentially harm sales of both the California and 458 unless they revive the Dino brand and do not put any Ferrari logo's on the car.

ISUK:

To be fair Nick they didn't build anything below the 430 price. The California took over the 430 price slot whilst the 458 moved up. The 458 spider will push the price up higher still.I'd be very doubtful this rumour is anything more than conjecture. A smaller, cheaper car would potentially harm sales of both the California and 458 unless they revive the Dino brand and do not put any Ferrari logo's on the car.

I agree, if anything Ferrari are moving higher up market with the 599 successor to be close to $375 k base.

Capacity at the factory is such that I cannot see a line for a less expensive volume car (which  such a V6 turbo would be). Margins would be eroded and as Iain says undermine 458/Cali. Having said that it may be that the Cali successor  (2015) could be differentiated from the 458 further and eco/emission could encourage this.

JoeRockhead:

Ferrari Boxster?

Will that be a Foxster then?

Adam2S:
    JoeRockhead:

Ferrari Boxster?

Will that be a Foxster then?

I think "Cavallino" will be a suitable and catchy name for the small Ferrari.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

No doubt, that is true. I am getting tired of ferrari executives lying through their teeth when the deny they are building cheaper models. They denied that the California existed until the last minute. In interviews, the CEO claimed that the cheaper model Ferrari's were the used Ferrari's. They would not build anything less than the 430 price range 

Even funnier...the California seems to be actually a re-badged Maserati. Smiley Smiley

Ferrari seems to have "grabbed" it because they loved it.

--

if they make it sporty insted of gt, that would be cool, a 450hp car would be in the range of the 430 performance. and it would probably have more torque since the turbo. and it would fit nicely between cali and 458,  

9Eleven:

Capacity at the factory is such that I cannot see a line for a less expensive volume car (which  such a V6 turbo would be).

Not true. Ferrari has a capacity of 10.000 cars and is building about 7.000 at the moment.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Actually, Ferrari want to reach just below 10.000 units of production. Above this level different and more strict type approval rules apply as regards CO2 emissions and if I'm not mistaken noise too.

--

"Form follows function"

Rossi:
    9Eleven:

Capacity at the factory is such that I cannot see a line for a less expensive volume car (which  such a V6 turbo would be).

Not true. Ferrari has a capacity of 10.000 cars and is building about 7.000 at the moment.

I should have said "current" capacity was around 7000. Having the ability to make 10,000 units a year does not mean management wish to do so. Non Ferrari dealers world wide are flooded with dealer stock from Bentley, AM,MB etc .

I can get $100K off a new Supersport, $50K off a DBS what kind of marketing strategy is that  Even F dealers have new Cal/599 luking as barely used examples in the USA

This market is extemely fragile. Sales of Bentley and AM fell 50% year over year  2 years ago. Ferrari sales decrease was less than 15%. Ferrari are the best at supply/ demand management.

The V8 line is single shift 24 units a day, the V12 line 6 to 10 a day. The casting foundry for engines is 2 shifts and also makes all the Maserati engines.

Little room for the current building to accomadate another production line on a lower margin car which would compete directly with  top end Porsche's, AM etc. Tons of c--p in this $150K segment.

What possibly may drive for a V6 turbo is emission standards demand but that is possibly for the next gen Cali.  Fiat/Ferrari product plans through 2015 are well known 458 spider fall 2011  599 successor 2012, enzo special 2013, Cali refresh 2014

Last year Ferrari produced circa 6200 units. They intend to keep production at that level for the foreseeable future. I am with ISUK and 9Eleven on this one.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Doesn't Ferrari want to earn money? 

Oh, I forgot, they are a charity firm and their mother Fiat is paying all the bills.     

--

RC,

You evidently didn't see Ferrai's results for last year  

Here is part of their Directors' statement -

" The Board of Directors of Ferrari, chaired by Luca di Montezemolo, have met to examine the results at 30th September.

Revenues for the third quarter totalled 446 million euros, 12.6% higher than the figure for the third quarter of 2009. 1,398 cars were delivered to dealers (+3.9%). Trading profit was excellent, showing a growth of 46% reaching 76 million euros, the equivalent of 17% of income compared to the 13% achieved in the third quarter of 2009.

This result is mainly due to increased sales, progress in the personalisation programme, and continuing efforts to increase efficiency in all areas of the company, including the racing department. In terms of models, the California continues its success and the 458 Italia has performed excellently. Deliveries of the latter have already started on all markets, and are destined to speed up in coming months.

Results for the first three quarters show revenues of 1,349 million euros (+4.8%) and a total of 4,598 cars delivered to dealers (+2.4%). Ferrari’s trading profit for the period came to 192 million euros, compared to 176 million euros last year (+9%). A good result in terms of industrial cash flow, which reached a record figure of 213 million euros, a particularly important result given the constant high level of investment in product development."

The reason Ferrari took over the development of the Maserati that became the California (after a lot of re-engineering) was down to the parent Fiat Group decision to remove Maserati from Ferrari's control and group it alonside Alfa Romeo under Harald Wester during an internal reshuffle of the various brands. IMHO this was a big mistake as Maserati had flourished under the careful contro of Ferrari. Alfa are very much a downmarket basket case under Fiat and there is little obvious benefit of any technology transfer for Maserati from them considering Alfa rely mainly upon Fiat Powertrain Technologies and Fiat Auto for most of their product. It's also a strange move considering Ferrari had got virtually all of it's dealers to take on a Maserati franchise which gave the brand much higher exposure and better after sales operations.

The Maserati hard top convertible had involved considerable input from Ferrari so as part of their "divorce" settlement as it were that car transferred to them as part of the deal to give them an opportunity to boost their revenue streams after "losing" the Modena brand.

from what i know, ferrari is 100% self sufficient and there is no need for fiat to pump cash into it

ISUK:

RC,

You evidently didn't see Ferrai's results for last year  

Sounds good...if you want to invest in Ferrari. Smiley

There is a reason for the entry level model, I can't say more but you'll understand when they offer it. A lot of surprises coming from Italy next year, some are very nice, especially for those who think that italian sports cars are overpriced. Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691236 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410288 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256300 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235444 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65769 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775256 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM