Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Pagani C9 details

We didn’t have room for it in the magazine in the end, but while trying to give you as many details as we could about the new Pagani Huayra, I went to see Xtrac, the firm responsible for its sequential manual gearbox.

Xtrac are legends in the transmission industry. Almost every car on the F1 grid uses its gearbox internals, it’s the exclusive gearbox supplier to the BTCC, cars with its gearboxes and diffs have won everything from Paris Dakar to Le Mans. They’re number one.

Hence why Pagani turned to them in 2008 to develop the gearbox for the Zonda R, and then a little later Pagani and Xtrac hooked up for the C9/Huayra project.

Xtrac is starting to branch out into road car gearboxes and has already developed a six-speed transmission for the Koenigsegg Agera, but the new Pagani uses a seven-speed sequential transverse gearbox with a bespoke casing made from aerospace grade aluminium alloy.

The whole assembly is remarkably compact, the idea being to keep the weight as far forward as possible, thus improving weight distribution and reducing the polar moment of inertia. According to Adrian Moore, Xtrac’s technical director, ‘there are four more main benefits [to the transverse packaging], it allows space for the exhaust, rear crash structure, underfloor diffuser and allows the designers more styling flexibility.’

As yet there’s no word on how fast it’ll change gear, but Xtrac admitted they have altered the gearing to allow the Huayra to hit 60mph in first gear. It will also have an auto function for when the driver prefers to loaf around.

Two cars have been testing with the gearbox since last June and at the end of January testing was being carried out at Nardo to calibrate the gearbox. We’ll let you know as soon as we have hard figures – and of course the all-important performance data.

mikigta:

Give me a Zonda Tricolore and i will happy for all my life

Smiley

X-Trac gearboxes in F1 are just terrible! Lotus Racing ditched them in favour of the Red Bull unit and Virgin and Hispania bemoan their awful reliability... All major teams, build their own boxes.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

skazzy:
    mikigta:

Smiley

Honestly, this is not a car. The Tricolore and all the other one of Zondas are a piece of art. Just look at the details, absolutely incredible. Smiley

To be honest, if I had such a car, I would not drive it. I would put it in my living room and stare at it all the time. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    skazzy:
    mikigta:

Smiley

Honestly, this is not a car. The Tricolore and all the other one of Zondas are a piece of art. Just look at the details, absolutely incredible. Smiley

To be honest, if I had such a car, I would not drive it. I would put it in my living room and stare at it all the time. Smiley

Pagani is real a piece of art, and IMO the price is justified from the amazing details.

Are you sure that you wouldn't drive the Zonda? Smiley

Smiley

--

Mini Clubman  S

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Someone at Teamspeed was kind enough to post the EVO article. I am absolutely blown away by this car. Like most people I hated the looks at first, lets just say they have grown on me. The engineering and detailing on this car is top notch. I especially like the picture on the first page of the EVO article showing the exposed carbon tub. Acceleration on par with the Veyron in a much sportier chasis, who doesn't love that?

Evo Pagani Huayra.pdf

another dozen mouth watering pics coming soon. Just waiting for the embargo to be lifted :)

Detailing is absolutely incredible, but I still don't like the looks and proportions of this car, also the interior is just too much for my taste.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

They make the most amazing supercars in the market, absolute pieces of automotive engineering art, but aesthetically, I kind of still like the Zonda better 

--

The interior at night looks really gaudy. Like a Las Vegas slot machine!

The rest of the car is fantastic.

Amazing detailing, the carbon work is just gorgeous !!  I'm still not going to comment so much about the styling. Its better than an original 12C, wich gave us perfection with the Zonda. So I'm waiting for great things to come from this one. 

The carbon fiber craftsmanship is from another world! Amazing!

Gosh...  ... those guys really understand how to build fascinating cars!

The attention to detail in the design is amazing 

--

This car has the ability to be both weird and fascinating at the same time.  The red one looks way better.

The new Lamborfgini is SO much nicer looking...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

it's much better in that red with CF. I would chose a deep dark blue on it and i think it will look amazing.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

it's much better in that red with CF. I would chose a deep dark blue on it and i think it will look amazing.

I was thinking the opposite. IMO red looks a bit dull on that car, while that goldish hue colour makes it look much more elegant. The car is a true piece of art. 

--

Back in the days when the C12 first hit the scene, it wasn't even half as exciting as this. Can you imagine how insane F version will be?

Despite the Aventador looking like a facelifted Reventon, I really like it. However, as far as performance goes, the Huayra will run rings around it. No contest, just like the Murci vs the Zonda C12, history will repeat itself and obviously so - they aren't exactly in the same league. The Aventador is a supercar while the Huayra is more of a hypercar :)

skazzy:

Back in the days when the C12 first hit the scene, it wasn't even half as exciting as this. Can you imagine how insane F version will be?

Smiley

skazzy:

Despite the Aventador looking like a facelifted Reventon, I really like it. However, as far as performance goes, the Huayra will run rings around it. No contest, just like the Murci vs the Zonda C12, history will repeat itself and obviously so - they aren't exactly in the same league. The Aventador is a supercar while the Huayra is more of a hypercar :)

I agree with your assessment of the two cars. The Huayra is much lighter than the Aventador (yes this is the third time I have harped on the Aventador's weight) in addition to being much more torquey (thank you twin turbo V12) so their should be a discernable difference in performance. Having said that, I would have preferred the Huayra to utilize an evolution of the Zonda's NA V12. The Aventador will have the advantage in sound and looks (exterior). Both cars are absolutely incredible, I wish I had the dilema of deciding between the two Smiley

P.S. the original Murcielago outperformed both the Zonda C12 and C12S, it took the introduction of the Zonda F to surpass it. Smiley

Red w/the black panels makes it look better. Not awestruckingly better but better than than the Champagne Copper color they've been showing.

For me....the dash is crazy busy.....

The camel colored seats....have me drooling...classic and impeccable

trip:

P.S. the original Murcielago outperformed both the Zonda C12 and C12S, it took the introduction of the Zonda F to surpass it. Smiley

incorrect

official promo video

skazzy:
    trip:

incorrect

Maybe I am remembering wrong but doesn't the Murci beat the Zonda around their track that day? No doubt the C12S was faster in a straight line, power to weight was not very even. I believe the C12S 7.3 is faster around the 'ring as well.

Short presentation from 5th gear at the Geneva motor show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmUhOxD_wE&feature=relmfu

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752839 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430501 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258481 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255409 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868091 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM