Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 MkII Porsche Sport Exhaust - Sound Mod?

I haven't checked on this and a friend just asked me: Does somebody know if the Porsche Sport Exhaust on 997 Mk II cars can be "sound hacked"/modded like it was possible with the Mk I exhaust?

Any ideas? Thanks.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: 997 MkII Porsche Sport Exhaust - Sound Mod?

There is no need  to do that as there is a button on the PCM  to switch the exhaust on or off , that is independent from any other function. And there is no more cut at 50 km/h anyway

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

How is the sound of the sport exhaust of the new DFI engine compared to the MK-I with sport exhaust? 

--

Carlos from Spain:

How is the sound of the sport exhaust of the new DFI engine compared to the MK-I with sport exhaust? 

Not as loud as MK 1, but still much better then standard . The nice ' growl' is not there anymore. Just a slight one on ignition when the engine is really  cold in the morning, but that's it for the 'metallic growl'.

Otherwise it does make a nice sporty sound, more 'racy'. I find it to have gotten louder now, at over 45'000 km. 

The other big difference compared to MK 1, is that you do not hear the sound that well from the inside . The sound is more for the pedestrians then the driver .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks Gnil! I was afraid of that, since I noticed that difference with the MK-I standard exhaust vs MK-II standard, and was afraid that difference would trasnfer to the sport verson, but still its better than nothing, definately a must have option in my list MK-I or MK-II.

--

I find the PSE on my GTS a lot quieter than the MK-1 'always on' mod.. Having said that, the exhaust 'scream' at 6000+ revs on the GTS is incredible, even from the inside of a coupé... I love it..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Gnil:

Not as loud as MK 1, but still much better then standard . The nice ' growl' is not there anymore. Just a slight one on ignition when the engine is really  cold in the morning, but that's it for the 'metallic growl'.

It is actually very sad that the sound of the Mk I doesn't exist anymore, it was perfect for the 911. Smiley

Thanks for answering the question. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I really liked the sound of the 996.2 sports exhaust - seems the trend is for quieter and quieter sports exhausts ...

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I really liked the sound of the 996.2 sports exhaust - seems the trend is for quieter and quieter sports exhausts ...

Depends on the brand I guess. Porsche had to deal with a lot of criticism of local environmental groups and even Greenpeace because of the 996 MkII PSE. This had been mentioned in several newspapers over here in Germany, they called it aural pollution. Smiley

I suppose that Porsche gave up to the pressure of these critics and made the sport exhaust quieter. What a shame.

--

The PSE adds a nice growl as others have stated. With the top down the exhaust is actually quite noticable when switched off and then on again. I believe that FVD has some modification for the PSE  on the 997.2 to increase it's 'presence' but I don't remember specifically what was done.

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

@John H: wait till the weather improves - with the window open, you'll hear a lot more

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Has somebody added a sport airfilter? Just curious about a possible sound improvement ("suction" sound)?

PO1812_gr.jpg

Adding a 200 cell high flow catalytic converter would surely improve sound but this is way too much fuzz for improving sound.

--

DaveC:

The PSE adds a nice growl as others have stated. With the top down the exhaust is actually quite noticable when switched off and then on again. I believe that FVD has some modification for the PSE  on the 997.2 to increase it's 'presence' but I don't remember specifically what was done.

Found it but it isn't street legal in Germany and cost is 2700 EUR without install. Too much, especially since it also could void the warranty for the engine.

--

Personally I'm satsified w/ the stock PSE. No drone, no check engine lights, etc.  I'm really not a fan of aftermarket parts. Most of these aftermarket companies are undercapitalized and cannot fully R&D or warranty their products, not to mention the Porsche warranty issue. However there are those who modify their cars right out of the showroom.

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

DaveC:

Personally I'm satsified w/ the stock PSE. No drone, no check engine lights, etc.  I'm really not a fan of aftermarket parts. Most of these aftermarket companies are undercapitalized and cannot fully R&D or warranty their products, not to mention the Porsche warranty issue. However there are those who modify their cars right out of the showroom.

I agree, this is why I was looking for a stock modSmiley

--

I like the sound of the 997.2 PSE. Right amount of noise in all rev range without droning and frenetic cacophonies. Some after market systems may sound good at high revs but monotonous with low frequency booming at 2-3000rpm for example i.e. terrible and tiring at low speed in town. I had a Techart exhaust like that once.

I enjoy the sound even in the OFF position, which is much different compared to the standard exhaust BTW. One obstacle is that the sound in a 911 is remote due to the engine position so from inside it is not as loud as a M-E car. But find a winding mountain road with good echo, where you would use the first 3 gears, switch PSE ON, open the window 2-3 cm and enjoy the character and the quality of  Porsche engine sound 

--

"Form follows function"

DaveC:

... no check engine lights, etc.  I'm really not a fan of aftermarket parts ...

+1 Smiley I would very rarely trust an expensive car with such tuners - Ruf and Manthey would be rare exceptions - but they are pricey Smiley

--

I find the stock exhaust on my .2 S Cab very noisy. For comparisation, my former 996 with sport exhaust wasn´t louder than my .2. Many people that already ride in my car, said it was very loud, including women who normally don´t pay attention to these things Smiley 

I noticed this ever since day one, I remember driving off the dealer and for the first meters I was saying to my self "Damn, this thing is loud Smiley" Couldn´t imagine having a sport exhaust in top of what I have now. To each is on Smiley

J.Seven

RC:
    DaveC:

I agree, this is why I was looking for a stock modSmiley

Sorry, there are many dedicated aftermarket enthusiasts I'm never quite sure who is and who isn't.  Elsewhere on the net my aftermarket skepticism would not have been well received.

--

DaveC:
    Sorry, there are many dedicated aftermarket enthusiasts I'm never quite sure who is and who isn't.  Elsewhere on the net my aftermarket skepticism would not have been well received.

This is why Rennteam is a little bit different... Smiley

I love high quality tuning (RUF, Manthey and a few others) but usually, you get what you pay for in this domain. Most Porsche owners seem to think that it is OK to pay 150k for a car but it is not OK to pay 5k for a good exhaust system. Well... Smiley

--

J.Seven:

I find the stock exhaust on my .2 S Cab very noisy. For comparisation, my former 996 with sport exhaust wasn´t louder than my .2. Many people that already ride in my car, said it was very loud, including women who normally don´t pay attention to these things Smiley 

I noticed this ever since day one, I remember driving off the dealer and for the first meters I was saying to my self "Damn, this thing is loud Smiley" Couldn´t imagine having a sport exhaust in top of what I have now. To each is on Smiley

J.Seven

SmileyYeah, the best way to enjoy exhaust sound is to get a cabrio

I got the stock exhaust as well. Never tried a cabrio with PSE / other aftermarket.... would imagine its quite unnecessary except on very rare occasions when the mood demands..

I think a cabrio with a GT3 style exhaust sound would be quite awesome

@RC - Yeah absolutely.. no shortcuts - one always gets what one pays for.. Pay peanuts, get monkey stuff Smiley

Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain:

Otherwise it does make a nice sporty sound, more 'racy'. I find it to have gotten louder now, at over 45'000 km. 

The other big difference compared to MK 1, is that you do not hear the sound that well from the inside . The sound is more for the pedestrians then the driver .

Same observation from me.

The 997.2 PSE is not as deep and loud as the 997.1 PSE, but it does sound better IMHO. More race-metallic-GT3'ish sound. If one wants a louder 997.2 PSE it should be a simple job exchanging the 997.2 center silencer for an X-pipe (from FVD or Cargraphic).

I had the opportunity to hear multiple 997.1 PSE versus 997.2 PSE at the Scuderia Course last year. There is a lot less difference in sound from the outside, e.g. when the cars accelerate away, than what it seems to be from the inside.

I might give the X-pipe a try this summer. A relatively cheap modification which is 100% reversible to stock configuration.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

It's definitely sporty enough for me.. There's always aftermarket systems out there..

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

This seemed like an interesting mod to me:  http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97084.htm

Not sure of the specifics of if there's any cut-outs or whatever on the 9n7.2 PSEs, but that seems to give you a 100% on/off switch and is reversible..

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

PSE used to be on my "must-have" list. I used to have the older (986) PSE on my Boxster S, in the always-on mode, and I loved it. Very musical, no drone, no annoying resonance, the right level of loudness.

Recently, I test drove a 2010 Cayman S with PSE, and I was disappointed. The sound did not seem musical at all, just louder. So disappointed in fact that it is off my list now.

DaveGordon:

Not sure of the specifics of if there's any cut-outs or whatever on the 9n7.2 PSEs, but that seems to give you a 100% on/off switch and is reversible..

There is no cut-off on the 997.2 PSE. It is simply quieter... always Smiley

For the 987.n Carnewal offers a really nice exhaust mod (similar to the old 993 RSR mufflers). Listen to this:

Maybe we should stop by at Gert when we visit SPA in June Smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Atzporsche:

It's definitely sporty enough for me.. There's always aftermarket systems out there..

Most aftermarket systems sound horrible, they never get it right.

The 997.1 PSE was pure exhaust sound heaven for 911 lovers. Amazing sound, very classic and extremely loud (with the "mod"). Absolutely perfect.

The 997.2 PSE, I had the chance to re-check it now because I didn't remember anymore, is loud but I'm missing that throaty growl I always loved about the 997.1 PSE. Over 5000 rpm however, the 997.2 PSE starts to scream like a race car, very nice again.

--

RC:
    Atzporsche:

Most aftermarket systems sound horrible, they never get it right.

The 997.1 PSE was pure exhaust sound heaven for 911 lovers. Amazing sound, very classic and extremely loud (with the "mod"). Absolutely perfect.

The 997.2 PSE, I had the chance to re-check it now because I didn't remember anymore, is loud but I'm missing that throaty growl I always loved about the 997.1 PSE. Over 5000 rpm however, the 997.2 PSE starts to scream like a race car, very nice again.

My thoughts exactly - my GTS sounds tame at low revs compared to my 997.1 ('always on' mod) but, when it reaches 5-6000 revs and above.. the sound, or rather the scream, is intoxicating and getting better as the mileage increases..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

tubi sounds pretty good, especially when it takes off at 1:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfS9ZzIFxw&feature=related

Agent991:

tubi sounds pretty good, especially when it takes off at 1:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfS9ZzIFxw&feature=related

This is exactly what I was talking about...this is no Porsche sound.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM