Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Support Required: Lamborghini Espada

Lars997:
    Thanks again guys! I found well maintained cars for around 50k Eur. Will see what the expert is telling me and look forward to Friday where Im going to see a car!

Don't forget to ask about maintenance/repair cost. This is why I suggested a different approach for a fun car but apparently you're not really a V8 lover. 

I actually would love an AC Cobra but under 80k EUR, there is no chance to get a decent car. A guy in our neighborhood has one, this car is just amazing.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC - I am an V8 lover, but this is considered as a keeper with couple of rides a year. Being honest - thats how I use the Porsche, too. Unfortunately I'm alway on long distance biz trips, and therefore I have ordered the 740d. So in fact, some weekends I will drive that Vintage or the Porsche. I would have plenty of car wishes, unfortunately I dont have the time nor the garage space. 

I defiantly will ask the expert for the maintenance. The good thing on Vintage cars is, that you shouldn't loose money on the value. Thinking about the loss on a 911, you can do a lot of maintenance for a vintage. And if you buy a good vintage, not that many things should come up.

BTW regarding V8 - my wife wants to have a Caddy de ville. Of course, not a muscle car but a crazy V8! Same here - if you find a good one its a keeper, you dont loose a penny over time!

I really don't want to be a downer but I have to be honest, Love the front but the back is a bit strange   maybe it just doesn't translate so well into pictures. please don't stone me to death  

I'f you love it, get it. From what I can read it must be a joy to drive and a real classic. 

Lars997:

BTW regarding V8 - my wife wants to have a Caddy de ville. Of course, not a muscle car but a crazy V8! Same here - if you find a good one its a keeper, you dont loose a penny over time!

One of my customers had a purple (no kidding) de Ville Cabriolet with white leather seats. 

No, he isn't a pimp. Smiley You can't imagine how many young women wanted to ride with him in this car, his wife made him sell it because of that. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

One of my customers had a purple (no kidding) de Ville Cabriolet with white leather seats. 

No, he isn't a pimp. Smiley You can't imagine how many young women wanted to ride with him in this car, his wife made him sell it because of that. Smiley 

So did you buy it from him? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

No, classy pimps (or should I say drug dealers)  like us drive a 911 Turbo S nowadays. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

No, classy pimps (or should I say drug dealers)  like us drive a 911 Turbo S nowadays. Smiley Smiley

hmmm turbo S on the way then....nice hint Smiley

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Hmm, maybe we should have warned Lasse or Throt then?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Hey Lars - I think it's cool that you want to fulfil this long-held dream Smiley

Sure, there are more reliable cars from today and also from that era - but this 'itch' that you want to 'scratch' isn't about a daily driver. You clearly want something to cruise in, enjoy the engine sound and exhaust noise - provided that you can find a good and well looked after specimen, I'd say go for it Smiley

IMvHO the muscle car, Italian car etc etc debate is misleading - what we are talking about here is what you like ... it's like talking about which nationality of women one prefers ... some like Italian women, others will like American women ... there's no 'best' - just what each guy prefers Smiley

In my case, I like my car to be 'Made in Stuttgart' and my woman to be 'Made in Tehran' Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Italo:
    hmmm turbo S on the way then....nice hint Smiley

I wish... Smiley

--

Hi Easy... I like the Theran and Stuttgart build, too! 

As I look since years for the moment to buy such a car, there will be no better time. I take it quit easy - it is like with the woman. You can't search for them, but one certain day the perfect one is in front of you and thats the moment to you have to catch it. In other words - if I find a car which looks great and well maintained and also if the price is reasonable and the stomach says yes, than I will go for it. Dont know if the moment comes this year or any later - I will see!

Getting back on track, Espada's are wonderful cars if you get a good one. Personally I've always loved the funky looks (but I like to be different) and they make a glorious sound. I also love the greenhouse when sitting in them. That's something you just don't get anymore (due to saftey I guess) but there's nothing like the airy feeling of have lots of windows at almost waist level. The BMW 2002 was especially like that (but you don't get a V12 there!).

If that's the thing you're going for, no american muscle car is going to scratch that itch. Maybe a Ferrari 400, but the Espada is a better car...

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Oh yeah - the BMW 2002 is a great car, too!

As I said - the Espada is quit ugly awkward stunningly beautiful. You have to see that car in real, it is so low and flat. Quit different. And yes - it is a greenhouse, for sure not the car for daily driving but to have it in the Garage and take it out sometimes in between!

BMW 2002 is probably the only BMW left i'll ever purchase

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

BMW 2002 is probably the only BMW left i'll ever purchase

Then there is the 2000CS:

bmw_2000cs.jpg

I used to think this was a really beautiful car back in its day. The last one I saw just a few years ago looked really awkward on its narrow track and narrow tyres.

I think they were built by Baur or Karmann, not BMW, which may explain why the rustbug seemed to have got to most of them rather early.

--

fritz

Are you really comparing that slow ass 2000 CS with these babies? 

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Sorry...couldn't resist after seeing that 2002 and that 2000 CS. Not really a fan of old BMWs.

--

Fritz: Really a 2000CS? It was slower than a Chevy Vega was..but if you need parts let me know.

RC, I noticed that the White car pictured above is a Oldsmobile. Were you thinking of a 442 W27?  

You might like one. They do something special....

When you floor the gas pedal at 70mph and run it up to 120mph, the gas gauge needle swings towards empty as fast as the speedometer needle moves forwards! Its fun to watch happen and hear.

Nothing sounds better than a big block Chevy or Oldsmobile V8 with a street cam, headwork and oversize pistons making for 572 cubic inches. If you want you can run a 4bbl carb, 24bbls carbs or modern injection and hey why not nitrous for some more fun.

They are easy to work on. The parts are so big you cant miss them, and there is so much room in the engine compartment that you can practically stand in it. FWIW a 72 Olds 442 weighs about the same as a 2010 M3 coupe.

Good luck!

RC:

Are you really comparing that slow ass 2000 CS with these babies? 

Sorry...couldn't resist after seeing that 2002 and that 2000 CS. Not really a fan of old BMWs.

No, just with Atzporsche's BMW 2002.

Note the use of the past tense in "I used to think this was a beautiful car back in its day". Smiley

Personally, I'm not a fan old or new BMWs, in spite of (because of?) having had a 1602 back in its day.

The one old American car I might be tempted by would be an early sixties Corvette Stingray. My wife had to drag me out of a showroom in Tarpon Springs a few months ago because I was getting too interested in a clean split rear window Stingray standing there without a price sticker (most of the cars bore prices). It was bad timing, I had just bought a 993 a month before. Otherwise my wife would probably have gone to wake up the salesman herself. Smiley

To get back to the topic, I think Lars should go for the Espada. You only live once, and you don't want to end up saying "If only I had............".

I'll never forget seeing a clean Lambo 350GT (Feruccio's first masterpiece) for sale in a gas station near Stuttgart for just DM 13,000 many years ago. Since I was then driving a car which cost me about a tenth of that, it was still out of the question. Smiley  
    Today, I wouldn't hesitate to splash the plastic in that situation ................. but you don't see cars like that for € 6,500 today. 

--

fritz

fritz:

I'll never forget seeing a clean Lambo 350GT (Feruccio's first masterpiece) for sale in a gas station near Stuttgart for just DM 13,000 many years ago. Since I was then driving a car which cost me about a tenth of that, it was still out of the question. Smiley  
    Today, I wouldn't hesitate to splash the plastic in that situation ................. but you don't see cars like that for € 6,500 today. 

--

fritz

Thats the point Fritz! If I see how much money I waste for all my cars every month, at least on such a car you dont loose that much value. And the maintenance should be easy to overlook in case you dont drive to much with it!

I don't know, I think this is prettier than any of those american muscle cars...  Anyways, I was only using 70's BMWs as an example of 70's european greenhouses. American cars never really had that airiness... One of the reasons I like the Espada.Bmw_3_0csl_alpina.jpg

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Go for it!  The Espada is a very special car.

Interesting read:  http://www.espadatechsite.com/

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Great link bluelines - many thanks! 

Lovely car the old 3.0 CSL. I also love the old pagoda top SL Mercedes from the 1960's. My age again....Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Lars, to give you some more assistance. Below video and the one from Jay Leno [I expected him to own an Espada but could not recall until now]:

Thanks Fritz - I already have seen that one! 

Jan Leno owns two of them!! I'd say definitely go for it.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691180 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410252 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235437 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858892 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775217 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM