Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nissan Marketing At Its Best

Very clever marketing technique from Nissan. They target Porsche owners. Very agressive but very clever, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjqKLWP_aw&feature=player_embedded

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Re: Nissan Marketing At Its Best

I found it extremely stupid - and imagine every car brand foiling on our parked cars some competition on the windscreen - rubbish "litter"ally...  (nor is the NBR time done on a standart car - we all learned that now from Ferrari...)

I'm afraid this is what's going to happen at the nurburgring, if they don't keep 3 to 5 engines and gearboxes in hand Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

BjoernB:

I found it extremely stupid - and imagine every car brand foiling on our parked cars some competition on the windscreen - rubbish "litter"ally...  (nor is the NBR time done on a standart car - we all learned that now from Ferrari...)

What is even worse: This kind of marketing is, as far as I know, illegal in Germany. Even putting a business card at the door would be illegal, unless you damaged the car and want to leave an address (which would require calling the police too).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Agressive - YES

Stupid - NO

They increased the amount of test drives by 23%. Even if they don't sell any, Nissan makes Porsche owners to drive the GT-R. Then at least they will have an idea about the car and know what it is. Because, probably avarage 911 Carrera driver doesn't know what GT-R is.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

BiTurbo:

I'm afraid this is what's going to happen at the nurburgring, if they don't keep 3 to 5 engines and gearboxes in hand Smiley

Sabine summarized it all Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

The problem is: I actually think that this ad is a fake, just a clever marketing ploy.  In my hometown, they don't even allow putting a business card ("I want to buy your car", phone number) at the door or under the windshield wiper. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

The problem is: I actually think that this ad is a fake, just a clever marketing ploy.  In my hometown, they don't even allow putting a business card ("I want to buy your car", phone number) at the door or under the windshield wiper. 

Christian,

You may be right. Maybe Nissan just advertised their marketing idea. You can expect it from someone who laps the Ring with a "tuned" GT-R and claimed it to be stock.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Some of the comments on youtube just cracked me up 

At least removing the sticker on the Porsche doesn't void the warranty.....

Makes Nissan look a little desperate for attention with a touch of infereriority complex if you ask me, doesn't really help my image of the GT-R  Reminds me of the Mini stunt against the Carrera on an autocross track...

--

pride355:
    You can expect it from someone who laps the Ring with a "tuned" GT-R and claimed it to be stock.

Are you talking about Ferrari? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

pride355:

Agressive - YES

Stupid - NO

They increased the amount of test drives by 23%. Even if they don't sell any, Nissan makes Porsche owners to drive the GT-R. Then at least they will have an idea about the car and know what it is. Because, probably avarage 911 Carrera driver doesn't know what GT-R is.

did you drove a GTR ? I haven't and I will not - to afraid of breaking something..Smiley

if you read between the lines of Sabine - well...."you did a few laps didn't you - yes many cool down laps....."

same happened when they tested it in the snow in CH against the 997 TT, TT RS and others - fast - but only for a few minutes...gearbox was overheating due to constant intervention on snow.....well....it was working fine all day long on the TT and RS....

I don't want to talk bad about the GTR in general - but as a good friend stated recently who tracks his cars a lot  "you never see them joining us for a full day"....

BjoernB:
    pride355:

Agressive - YES

Stupid - NO

did you drove a GTR ? I haven't and I will not - to afraid of breaking something..Smiley

I haven't but if the opportunity arises, I wouldn't hesitate for a split second. I'd like to test drive different cars evenif they don't suit my driving style and GT-R is no exception. I heard that 2011 models are not as frigile as 2010 models are. 

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Nissan, insecure much?

That is just pathetic. We get it you now build a sports car.. Grow up Nissan and maybe spend more $ on development next time. It also wouldn't hurt to establish a design team for your next car.

I hope ad is fake because it's just too pathetic and aggressive. Apart from it being illegal in Germany, it's very cheap and cheesy.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

pride355:

They increased the amount of test drives by 23%.

So, how many did they have in the first place? Certainly not many... Smiley

I doubt this kind of marketing is working in such a price segment. It could be interesting for a family car competing in luggage capacity. They made these shots at Düsseldorf´s Königsallee and I doubt that many of these drivers bought the car because to set a new record on the Nürburgring.

I guess the point is this.  How many Porsche owners, took a test drive in the GTR and then bought one?  Shame the forum doesn't have a poll facility.

In fact, how many RT'ers have actually driven a GTR?  Given the opportunity, I would have a drive for sure, how many petrol heads wouldn't?  But would I buy one, unfortunately that's a resounding no. 

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

ResB:

I guess the point is this.  How many Porsche owners, took a test drive in the GTR and then bought one?  Shame the forum doesn't have a poll facility.

In fact, how many RT'ers have actually driven a GTR?  Given the opportunity, I would have a drive for sure, how many petrol heads wouldn't?  But would I buy one, unfortunately that's a resounding no. 

The problem with the GT-R is not the driving, it is an amazing car and it drives really great, the problem seems to be reliability and of course a little bit the lack of reputation/show-off factor. Many in Germany bought the GT-R as a cheap and affordable weekend track car but apparently were disappointed with it's technical issues.

There is no doubt: When the GT-R runs well, it performs pretty well too. I still don't like the exterior too much, without that hideous rear wing, it would have been much better looking. Is it really a problem for Nissan to offer a retractable wing like others do?! It just looks too much rice burner to me, too much "The Fast and the Furious". This is why this car can't really be a success in Europe.

--

I agree actually.  I have said before the performance is not in question and yes I would love to have a test drive, but that is it unfortunately.

Reliability issues aside for one minute and apart from the original performance/price issue the car does absolutely nothing for me and I can't remember the last time a performance car such as this stirred such little emotion when you look at the darn awful looking thing.  Shame really.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Clever. Funny. I can dig it. :)

RC:

I still don't like the exterior too much, without that hideous rear wing, it would have been much better looking. Is it really a problem for Nissan to offer a retractable wing like others do?! It just looks too much rice burner to me, too much "The Fast and the Furious". This is why this car can't really be a success in Europe.

Agree, and even without the wing it still looks very bad to my eyes. When the 1990 300ZX came out it was so much better looking compared to the competition, but the GT-R is a no go design.

J.Seven

i saw another GT-R in the flesh, it's probably THE most hideous looking car on the road. I think drivers look like complete door knobs in them, It's just not very refined, it's big, too big.
    It doesn't help that most owners put hideous aftermarket rims on and order black vinyl wrapping as well...

The ad does little to nothing to increase sales, it just pushes peoples buttons so as to generate some GT-R fuzz.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

...that was a rather pathetic ad...so, the result is, that with a fortnight they got 6 instead of five requests for testdrives...??...I think, that the GT-R is great package for the money and I would love to see its performace on a racetrack...however, in my opinion, Nissan needs to get some emotion through to its potential clients (not just the PS2 players on GT5) and perhaps with the 2011 model they need to seriously tackle the reliability issue...

I agree - pathetic.  Sticking something on my windscreen is only going to piss me off, and certainly not make me call for a test drive..   

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

pride355:

Agressive - YES

Stupid - NO

23% more test drives, eh?

Did a little math to work out what that might really mean. Smiley

Getting 16 people to drive a GT-R demo car in the same time frame as only 13 people drove it previously would equate to an increase of 23.08%.  Great result. If you are really desperate.  Smiley

--

fritz

hey, somebody did the correct maths here Smiley ... I was too lazy last evening to do a calculation...Smiley...

Back to the ad: Nissan really needs to put a face to the potential GT-R owners...currently, I feel Nissan is more talking to a Micra / Juke / whatever-driver to get him / her to get a superior sportscar as the next drive rather than to an R8 / M3 / 911/ SLS-driver...further, at least in Germany, Nissan has granted dealer licences to dealer in (odd) places, where I would usually not be looking for such a car - example: There is no GT-R dealer in Frankfurt nor in the surrounding neighborhood (where a lot of the potentially better-off people live), but in a town 50 mls away....(oh, I do like my 911....)

that's just another Nissan marketing mistake... Job well done guys

--

I trust Sabine on this one... Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

d997h:

hey, somebody did the correct maths here Smiley ... I was too lazy last evening to do a calculation...Smiley...

Back to the ad: Nissan really needs to put a face to the potential GT-R owners...currently, I feel Nissan is more talking to a Micra / Juke / whatever-driver to get him / her to get a superior sportscar as the next drive rather than to an R8 / M3 / 911/ SLS-driver...further, at least in Germany, Nissan has granted dealer licences to dealer in (odd) places, where I would usually not be looking for such a car - example: There is no GT-R dealer in Frankfurt nor in the surrounding neighborhood (where a lot of the potentially better-off people live), but in a town 50 mls away....(oh, I do like my 911....)

Very well said. My next Nissan GT-R dealer is almost 70 km away from my home but furthermore, I can't see any serious advertisement on the Nissan website. The information is less than mediocre, absolutely pathetic. Look at the Porsche website, there are tons of information available for each and every model, up to the smallest detail. Nissan really has to learn and do a better job.

Stupid YouTube videos with two blonde chicks rather make them look cheap and pathetic than drawing serious customers towards them. The YouTube video may attract and please the Playstation crowd but I doubt that these people are actually potential customers for buying the GT-R. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM