Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT2 RS delivery!

Day 1

Words will not adequately describe this experience, it was truly unique and First Class in every respect. As someone who travels frequently and has the opportunity to enjoy some unique experiences, I have to say that this ranks up there as a spectacular event...and that was before we even got to the car. Every activity stood on it's own and when considered in total it was, absolutely, a fairy tale experience.

It started with my wife and I and having a wonderful lunch by the beach.

We then registered and received a very nice gift. At this point, I don't want to disclose what it was and hopefully preserve some element of surprise for those yet to attend the East Coast event

The pre-delivery cocktail party and dinner was very well organized and managed with just the right amount of personal attention. I, and others, commented about how we were made to feel appreciated as Porsche Customers in a very genuine way, the Senior Management in attendance set a great tone.

Every detail was considered and taken care of in a professional and unobtrusive way. Example, I went to tip the bell boy and he told me that Porsche had taken care of it, I tipped him anyway in appreciation of his honesty and Ambassadorship on behalf of Porsche!

Day 2

It flew, and as I look back on it today (Day 3) it was a focused whirlwind of activity and fun. To describe each of the activities in detail will take a lot of space but suffice it to say that it was well staged.

After breakfast we took a coach to the Event location and the car was presented. And explained in great detail....it is no parts bin special...but there will be more about that in other threads. After the above presentation, and learning even more about the intricacies of the car, I was delighted because it reinforced my instincts in purchasing the GT2 RS. It is a car for car guys and those who get what Porsche is all about, especially the 911.

Then, the big Event was the presentation of our individual cars. All cars were hidden behind a screen and presented to us in a group. Each individual's name was placed on the side window..and I am sure some will leave that little touch there for posterity..and it made for easy identification. I was delighted with how my car turned out, I spent a lot of time on It, including a trip to Stuttgart to chose color, but I have to say I would have been happy with any of them. We were then broken up into smaller groups for various activities which included detailed delivery instructions, and driving events (turbo launch, auto crossing etc.) in various cars but not yet in the GT2 RS, that was to come after lunch.

Indeed, after a great lunch we could go on the 3 mile, purpose built, track with an Instructor, for as much time as we wanted during the 90 minute session. After that session there was another "hot lap" session with the Instructors that was an absolute thrill. Again, some details (lots of details) withheld so as not to spoil the event for the East Coast guys.

The day finished off with a very elegant cocktail party where we could watch the sunset, share war stories and feats of bravery with our fellow participants....and, up front, in the lobby area a view of seven beautiful GT2 RS cars parked in a row outside the hotel, ready to driven home, the remainder (including mine) were to be trucked.

Day 3

As I reflect on this event, it is like a fairy tale; it was fantastic, and the car is a lasting momento of it all. The GT2 RS is an amazing car and if you are on the fence jump, if you can, before they are all gone (or the word gets out)! Otherwise in a few years, you will say I shoulda, coulda!

Lots more to come on this gem.... Where is that truck?

PS

There is no way you can turn a GT2 into a GT2 RS, and any attempt to do so is throwing away money! Grab the genuine article if you can, it is both endearing and enduring.

Re: GT2 RS delivery!

Congrats ! can't wait to see some pics. 

Thanks for the passionate article. Curious to hear more details about the car and event from you! And see some pictures...

I took delivery at the event as well and cnc described the event perfectly. An amazing experience.

While I freely admit I had serious concerns about exactly what the car was composed of,  and feared it was a "Parts Bin Exercise", those concerns are now gone thanks to a detailed presentation and many hours of discussion with Andreas Preuninger (gracious and a true gentleman).

The driving experience of the GT2RS is simply on another level, and I will thrilled to drive mine home over 500 miles of mountain roads.

In a nutshell, my view of the GT2RS: "If you can, you must"

But please buy one to drive not put in the bubble-wrap! To not enthusiastically explore the engineering on the road and track would be a real shame.

I had your words in mind when I read cnc´s description above. Congratulations as well and please don´t hesitate to elaborate what finally convinced you.

Congrats to both of you. Feel free to post some pics!

Congrats.  I am looking forward to seeing one in person!

PICS OR BAN 

Seriously, congratulations, what a car!! Enjoy for many happy miles and in good health.
    Looking forward to pictures!

Aaron

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Tons of pictures on the other websites (Rennlist, Teamspeed etc.) and besides being a Luddite I like a low profile. Maybe Savy will cross post his photos since he is much more organized and I am still on a high..the best 911 ever and I've had my share! The pro pictures from the event will be posted to a special website and then hopefully they can referenced to UTube (did I say Luddite?) in the near future.

Wait until the technical goodies on this car begin to surface.. a car for Porsche insiders...but some of us got lucky and went with our guts. Like Savy said "if you can, you must". Every element on this car is worthy of its own thread, from engine to gearbox to suspension to aerodynamics to custom parts and screws, it goes on and on. I said it earlier but it would be a fool's errand to try and make a GT2 into an RS version, and you wouldn't even fool yourself, but some will surely play pretend anyway. E.G. The ECU is completely different  from the GT2 there is not one line of commonality and that is just the beginning...

it would be a fool's errand to try and make a GT2 into an RS version, and you wouldn't even fool yourself, but some will surely play pretend anyway. E.G. The ECU is completely different  from the GT2 there is not one line of commonality and that is just the beginning...

Large drums of celebrity enhanced Kool aid flowing at the events Smiley

--

2009 997 GT2

Do I understand correctly that you do not agree with cnc Toby?
    Would be interesting to know the real life vs advertised differences between the GT2 and the GT2rs.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

Do I understand correctly that you do not agree with cnc Toby?
    Would be interesting to know the real life vs advertised differences between the GT2 and the GT2rs.

Apologies to cnc for the tone of my post, I know these guys must be on a great high from their awesome pick up experience.

Yes I would really like to know the differences, the real ones not like Preuninger saying the pistons and rods are different - I want to know why/how they are different, are they simply blueprinted ie more accurately to spec and exact same weight or are they a different part ? I suspect the former.

The ECU, why is that "completely different" is it because it has a completely different program (which is obvious and a 600 ECU from RS Tuning or Manthey/Weissen will be different in many ways, OK not the new PSM/TC setting which the RS has) or is it "completly different" ie a different model of ECU ?

They say the gearing is different but the SA test prints the same ratios ?

How is the gearbox "different" maybe just a shorter throw lever ?

Other engine differences ? We know it has a plastic expansion manifold but I understand the dimensions are exact the same as GT2 so that is a weight saver ? and of course the Spanish 997tt.2 intercoolers which must be a mjor contributor to the excellent power numbers.

Roof rack and rear seat belt mounts are deleted which is pretty cool (but actuallty one of the reasons I didn't take one :) )

Suspension ? As always Porsche does it spot on as a package and better than virtually all others although many of us GT2 owners aready have more extreme suspension mods ?

The various weight saving measures published are awesome and what an RS is about IMO but most are transerable to a GT2 if one wanted ?

Would be truly great to hear what Preuninger had to say about the differences over and above what has been printed ?

Edit - Just reading Savvy's stuff on Rennlist - looks like he may be revealing some answers over there Smiley
    --

2009 997 GT2

Strange post. Manthey Racing told me that the difference from my normal gt2 to the gt2 rs are in fact not as big as they are mentioned by the post starter. And why should i try to convert my current gt2 in to an rs when i can get a 9ff tune with 720 hp for 33000 euros only ( will be done in mai, vbox datas will follow.

Sorry cnc, to have hijacked your thread in a way!
    The rs must be something very special, and the fact that your dealer celebrates this with a special event, is really cool! Must have felt very nice!

There will of course always be some level of comonnality between the normal porsche models and the special editions, but I do have the feeling that there are a lot of components that were developed especially with the GT2 rs in mind, like for example the carbon fibre fenders.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

The RennList thread (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/615348-gt2rs-delivery-pics.html) is fully formed and no need to spill electrons needlessly.

I asked AP for his presentation and hopefully after the East Coast delivery event I can post that up.

The Kool-aid was flowing freely and quite delicious! I drank with gusto.

I loved reading your posts over at RL savvy. Congratulations on the car. it's a fantastic piece of kit.

savvy:

The RennList thread (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/615348-gt2rs-delivery-pics.html) is fully formed and no need to spill electrons needlessly.

I asked AP for his presentation and hopefully after the East Coast delivery event I can post that up.

Smiley

savvy:

I think unbeknowing you were drinking and enjoying on behalf of many of us  Smiley

--

2009 997 GT2

Thanks for the nice article on Rennlist! You seem to be a very nice guy if you are not marking Porsche´s mistakes on the internet. Smiley

Ferdie:

Thanks for the nice article on Rennlist! You seem to be a very nice guy if you are not marking Porsche´s mistakes on the internet. Smiley

Hmm, I think Andreas said pretty much the same thing to me?

Smiley

Questioning facts is healthy and the clarity generated will result in more fully informed enthusiast buyers.

savvy:

Questioning facts is healthy and the clarity generated will result in more fully informed enthusiast buyers.

You are absolutely right, only your reservations stood out from the crowd. Would love to hear more about the technical details that changed your opinion.

Smiley

Ferdie:. Would love to hear more about the technical details that changed your opinion.

Smiley

SmileySmiley

fruit flavoring, citric acid, calcium phosphate, salt and Vitamin C. Some flavors add maltodextrin if natural fruit solids are used.

--

2009 997 GT2

Guys: no reason for sour grapes. Knowing 'savvy' I am sure the car is truly special.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Car is special indeed, but Mike S was wondering why he ended up with a standard GT2 instrument cluster instead of a GT2 RS Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803127 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266054 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6529 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885623 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833142 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM