Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Next gen Audi R8 engines ?

In an effort to reduce emissions and improve fuel-economy ultra premium brand Bentley is looking to downsize with the introduction of an all-new V8 engine.

As previously reported, Bentley is looking to sister brand Audi to co-develop a new direct-injection 4.0 liter V8 engine to be used in the Continental GT and future Audi performance models. Bentley says the new 4.0 liter direct-injection V8 will cut CO2 emission on the Continental GT model by a substantial 40 percent.

Latest reports reveal the new V8 unit will be available in two versions. According to Autocar, the first version will have a single turbocharger producing 415 bhp (309 kW / 420 PS). The second version will be twin-turbocharged unit making 555 bhp (413 kW / 563 PS) - in line with Bentley's target output of at least 100 bhp per liter.

The 4.0 liter V8 engine will debut in the Bentley Continental GT near the end 2011.

Meanwhile, Autocar also reports that 2011 production for the Mulsanne is already reserved. The Arnage successor which starts at £220,000 is powered by a 6.75-liter twin-turbo V8 producing 505 bhp (377 kW / 512 PS) and 752 lb-ft (1020 Nm) of torque.

Source: autocar.co.uk

So I'm guessing the next gen R8 will have these two engine variants and no more V10.

I'm guessing next Gallardo will have naturally aspirated V10 with 600 bhp, slots comfortably above the 555 bhp R8.

Turbo for Audi, NA for Lambo ?

Re: Next gen Audi R8 engines ?

Just this... Next R8 is pretty much on hold. Many things are not sure at the moment. More info after Geneva 2011.

Hint... Porsche is NOW in charge for all sportscar in VAG.

Thanks Kreso. Btw more info from Georg Kacher :

A Lamborghini Gallardo developed by Porsche? How about a Stuttgart-engineered Audi R8? It could happen under a new plan that puts Porsche in charge of sports car development for all Volkswagen Group brands.

The decision comes as part of VW Group's overall plan to streamline its brand and engineering structure. Although Porsche is the newest member of the family, its expertise in sports car engineering apparently made it the natural choice to develop a common components set for the Group's many sports cars.

In the near term, the decision will have little impact. After all, the next 911 and the second-generation Boxster/Cayman are virtually complete, the follow-ups to the R8/Gallardo/Murcielago are also past their freeze points, and project Mimo -- better known as Audi R5/VW Blue Sport/Porsche 550 (previously rumored to be named 356) -- has only recently been transferred to Porsche.

Looking farther out, creating a common DNA for all these models and for others not yet mentioned here is a huge challenge for the Porsche engineers under their new chief Wolfgang Hatz, who used to be the number-one engine guy at VW. The biggest potential stumbling block is the sheer complexity of the future sports car range for which MSS, as the sports car components set is called, must act as an umbrella. In an ideal world, this multifaceted work-in-progress should yield the following models:

VW Blue Sport, Audi R5, Porsche 550. The Porsche version will be positioned under the Boxster/Cayman and will be powered by a four-cylinder boxer engine, likely a turbocharged 1.9-liter good for some 210 hp and 215 lb-ft of torque. Audi will likely use a five-cylinder and shoot for a (higher) price somewhere between that of the TT and the R8. The VW version will almost certainly use a 180-hp four-cylinder and will incorporate parts from mainstream VWs in an effort to keep the costs down.

Next Boxster/Cayman/911 (2018/19). The current Cayman/Boxster, due in 2011 and 2012, won't be part of the MSS program but may be integrated to some degree during the mid-cycle refreshing in 2016.

High-end Porsche sports car to be positioned between the 911 and the upcoming 918, internally dubbed New V8 GT. This is the hottest project the Weissach wizards currently have up their sleeves. It could have much in common with the next R8 and Gallardo.

Follow-ups to the next R8/Gallardo/Aventador, which are still far off but need to be integrated before 2020.

KresoF1:

Just this... Next R8 is pretty much on hold. Many things are not sure at the moment. More info after Geneva 2011.

Hint... Porsche is NOW in charge for all sportscar in VAG.

+1 Well said.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I heard a rumor that Porsche will put a R8-like model on the market sometimes around 2012 or 2013, so maybe this is the death of the Audi R8 and the birth of a new Porsche model which was supposed to actually be the next gen R8/Gallardo ?

So many weird sounding rumors coming from Porsche right now, don't even know what to believe and what not.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

I heard a rumor that Porsche will put a R8-like model on the market sometimes around 2012 or 2013, so maybe this is the death of the Audi R8 and the birth of a new Porsche model which was supposed to actually be the next gen R8/Gallardo ?

So many weird sounding rumors coming from Porsche right now, don't even know what to believe and what not.  

Rumor that you heard may be indeed correct. New R8/Gallardo is pretty much finished on the drawing board. Even engines are known...

BTW,

For those interested in new Audi models here is the list of new versions that will be introduced till September:

Audi TTRS(power update to 360ps from May 2011)

Audi S7 (4.0L V8 single turbo 408ps, S tronic)

Audi S6 (4.0l V8 single turbo 408ps, S tronic)(

Audi A6 3.0TDI( 3.0L V6 TDI biturbo 313ps, quattro only, S tronic)

Audi A8 4.0(4.0L V8 single turbo, 420ps, 8speed auto)

Audi S8(4.0L V8 biturbo 518ps, 8speed auto)

Early 2011:

RS6 (4.0L biturbo cca 510ps, S tronic)

Thanks. Good info !  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

KresoF1:

Early 2011:

Only 510 PS for the RS6? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

This is the lowest number according to my source(zirka 510ps-530ps, nur mit S tronic). Do not forget that this is 4.0L V8, not 5.0L V10 monster with 580ps.

BTW, next R8 will have either 4.0L V8 biturbo with 530ps(with true dry sump or 4.8L V8 with 580ps(Porsche sourced engine with true dry sump)-in both cases new 7 speed DCT gearbox will be used. New AWD for haldex also...

RC:

Christian, you might have missed this part from the article I put above :

"High-end Porsche sports car to be positioned between the 911 and the upcoming 918, internally dubbed New V8 GT. This is the hottest project the Weissach wizards currently have up their sleeves. It could have much in common with the next R8 and Gallardo."

KresoF1:
    RC:

Rumor that you heard may be indeed correct. New R8/Gallardo is pretty much finished on the drawing board. Even engines are known...

BTW,

For those interested in new Audi models here is the list of new versions that will be introduced till September:

Early 2011:

Kreso, thanks for great info ! Some questions :

313ps TDI 3.0L for A6, will it be available for A7 as well or not ?

I'm confused about the current 3.0L V6 TFSI with SUPERCHARGER. All future engines listed above are turbo, not supercharged. Does it mean this engine has no future ? Was it just an experiment went successful, but this is it ?

Thanks!

shin:
    RC:

"High-end Porsche sports car to be positioned between the 911 and the upcoming 918, internally dubbed New V8 GT. This is the hottest project the Weissach wizards currently have up their sleeves. It could have much in common with the next R8 and Gallardo."

Also Christian, I believe that new Porsche sportscar will not be mid-engined but front engined. Their internal codename "New V8 GT" indicates to me that it's a 2-door coupe based on a shortened wheelbase of the Panamera. In other words, the Panamera coupe.

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

This is the lowest number according to my source(zirka 510ps-530ps, nur mit S tronic). Do not forget that this is 4.0L V8, not 5.0L V10 monster with 580ps.

BTW, next R8 will have either 4.0L V8 biturbo with 530ps(with true dry sump or 4.8L V8 with 580ps(Porsche sourced engine with true dry sump)-in both cases new 7 speed DCT gearbox will be used. New AWD for haldex also...

So power war finally comes to an end? Smiley

--

shin:
    KresoF1:
    RC:

BTW,

Early 2011:

Kreso, thanks for great info ! Some questions :

313ps TDI 3.0L for A6, will it be available for A7 as well or not ?

I'm confused about the current 3.0L V6 TFSI with SUPERCHARGER. All future engines listed above are turbo, not supercharged. Does it mean this engine has no future ? Was it just an experiment went successful, but this is it ?

Thanks!

Current 3.0L V6 TFSI will continue its life in A6 and A8 with 333ps. So, 290ps version will be droped. 313ps TDI will go to A7 as well. BUT, not to A8(since there is a 4.2L V8 TDI).

shin:
    shin:
    RC:

Also Christian, I believe that new Porsche sportscar will not be mid-engined but front engined. Their internal codename "New V8 GT" indicates to me that it's a 2-door coupe based on a shortened wheelbase of the Panamera. In other words, the Panamera coupe.

Pana Coupe is on HOLD.

On the other hand midengine V8 GT Porsche(458 competitor) is a GO.Smiley

KresoF1:
    shin:
    shin:
    RC:

Pana Coupe is on HOLD.

On the other hand midengine V8 GT Porsche(458 competitor) is a GO.Smiley

Thanks for the correction, Kreso. So "New V8 GT" is mid-engined.

Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

Yes, PS war is ended. BUT, power/weight war is starting now... New 991 will be lighter then 997.2 series. New R8 will be lighter then old one.

Current plan is Audi R8 as mid level mid engine sportscar with around 530ps and Porsche V8 GT as upper level mid engine sportscar with around 600ps.

KresoF1:

Both these V8s will be turbocharged I assume.

What about the next Gallardo? Surely, that has to have a NA engine, right?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    KresoF1:

Why?SmileySmiley

Only possible engine is further development of 5.2L V10 then...

BUT... SmileySmiley

REALZEUS:
    KresoF1:

I thought the same thing. Gallardo successor might have 600ps like Porsche's new V8 GT, I'm thinking the differentiation should be RWD and AWD, and Turbo'ed vs NA...

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

Yes, PS war is ended. BUT, power/weight war is starting now... New 991 will be lighter then 997.2 series. New R8 will be lighter then old one.

Current plan is Audi R8 as mid level mid engine sportscar with around 530ps and Porsche V8 GT as upper level mid engine sportscar with around 600ps.

Give me a MP4-12C, 600 horses and light weight right from the start. Smiley

--

The funny thing is, the Porsche might end up being RWD and turbo, while the Lambo will definitely be AWD, and probably NA.

Isn't it more ideal configuration of NA + RWD, and Turbo + AWD..

The news re. Audi R8 successor was predictable once PAG gained control of the sports car development.  IMO the R8 sales suffered  from lack of PDK-style transmission, and having Porsche in control would ensure that the next-R8 would have a competitive transmission by adapting PDK to it.... but if Porsche is going this far why not produce the next mid-engine car under the Porsche label instead of Audi.     

On the other hand, maybe the front-engine coupe (the real GT or Panamera coupe), if it is resurrected,  would fit better in the Audi range...  Smiley

--

2010 Audi S5,  2009 Porsche 911S

Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

MP4-12C? You know how enthusiastic about it was me before? Highly.

BUT, what about that stupid doors? How reliable will it be?

Far too many unknown things IMHO.

KresoF1:
    RC:

BTW,

Early 2011:

Panamera Diesel¿?? Smiley

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

I agree with you that clear-sighted possible customers of the MP4-12C should wait at least for the first year of production of such a car, that is new in each and every aspect. Regarding the doors, I don't think they will be a reliability issue.

Stupid yes, but not unreliable. Smiley

--

I agree with you that clear-sighted possible customers of the MP4-12C should wait at least for the first year of production of such a car, that is new in each and every aspect. Regarding the doors, I don't think they will be a reliability issue.

Easier said then done!

Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

I believe Kreso meant "how reliable the car will be".

Ziggy:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Early 2011:

I believe Kreso meant "how reliable the car will be".

Hmm, after reading Kreso's post again, I think you're right Ziggy. Smiley

Anyway, I already answered the reliability question. Smiley

--

Read evo - they already said it 6 month ago - displacements will go down and turbo's will be all over the place....maybe in 15 years we all drive 1.4 Liter engines with 2.5 bar....  - the "turbo" will have 1.5...and the Top end Lambo a incredible 1.9... with a 2 sec KERS boost of 300 hp comming from yr connected iphone 17's power.... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803234 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448574 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266130 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90069 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6596 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885715 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833278 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM