Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 Nissan GT-R Launch Control Demo

Looks like L/C is coming back and coming back improved. Smiley

I still think Renault loaned them the algorithms from their F1 program. If anyone remembers when L/C was allowed in F1, the Alonzo and the Renaults consistently had the best programming. They would slingshot off the line and pick up 1 to 3 spots in the first 1,000 ft of the race. 

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Re: 2012 Nissan GT-R Launch Control Demo

Nice video but it doesn't really say much. The 997 Turbo S does 0-100 kph (62 mph) in 3.0 seconds flat and as far as I heard, the best time for the new GT-R was 3.5 seconds.

Not that I'm nitpicking here but half a second means something in the sports car world.

On the other hand, the new GT-R is really impressive (not that the old one wasn't but reliability was a bitch) and I really hope that Nissan sorted out the quirks because if this car is really reliable, it would be the hell of a deal for every sports car enthusiast.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

Nice video but it doesn't really say much. The 997 Turbo S does 0-100 kph (62 mph) in 3.0 seconds flat and as far as I heard, the best time for the new GT-R was 3.5 seconds.

Not that I'm nitpicking here but half a second means something in the sports car world.

On the other hand, the new GT-R is really impressive (not that the old one wasn't but reliability was a bitch) and I really hope that Nissan sorted out the quirks because if this car is really reliable, it would be the hell of a deal for every sports car enthusiast.

from 2012 manual, 4 times is the limit Smiley

--

I still don't understand: Did Nissan sort out the quirks well known from the "old" model ? Is there any information on that ?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

From what I've been told, it's a remapped gtr with improvements in the aerodynamics, larger rotors and a bump in price Smiley

--

BiTurbo:

From what I've been told, it's a remapped gtr with improvements in the aerodynamics, larger rotors and a bump in price Smiley

Ouch. Smiley

--

RC:

Not true. Japanese journalists did over 100 launches with the new GT-R. Result of 3,0s was achieved many times. This actually is the official time for the car. The worst time was about 3,2s.

The best INDEPENDENT 0-100 I have seen for the GTR is in the 3.6s neighbourhood. But that too is irrelevant... what's the 0-200 km/h and 0-1000m times? That measurement much more representative of a supercar's performance! I bet both the 458 and the Turbo S leave the Nissan standing still on those measurements!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

As far as I remember, Sport Auto was invited by Nissan to the Nordschleife to witness their testing and do their own measurements and the new GT-R accelerated from 0-100 kph in 3.5 or 3.6 seconds, can't remember anymore. Definitely not 3.0 seconds. 0-200 kph time is in the 11 seconds range according to a source but it isn't anything reliable.

If the GT-R would be a reliable car, even with this performance, it would be a steal. If Nissan didn't take care of the quirks and issues, it is just another attempt to sell inferior hardware with impressive performance numbers. I hope Nissan isn't that dumb.

--

RC:

I still don't understand: Did Nissan sort out the quirks well known from the "old" model ? Is there any information on that ?

A few changes. LC's was remapped to hold the engine at 3,000 RPM instead of 4,000. Some transmission components were strengthened and the L/C algorithm was changed slightly.

As far as the car itself, HP was bumped up a bit - aero was improved a bit - bigger diameter brakes were added - and of course, the price went up about $4,000 in the US.

And while the 911 T S is fractions faster, it's magnitudes more expensive. The $70K you would save could be put into upgrades. The $5,000 chip upgrade/secondary computer that's floating around - this alone would make the GT-R a thrasher of many much more expensive machines.

--

Heist:

And while the 911 T S is fractions faster, it's magnitudes more expensive. The $70K you would save could be put into upgrades. The $5,000 chip upgrade/secondary computer that's floating around - this alone would make the GT-R a thrasher of many much more expensive machines.

In the US, without our Autobahn speeds, this might work but in Germany, this would be a clear path to disaster. Good GT-R engine mods with TÜV approval are pretty seldom and not really cheap over here, so I would actually prefer the 997 Turbo S instead of pumping another 30000-40000 EUR into a car which probably looses 30-40% of it's value immediately after putting a license plate to it. It doesn't make sense.

Another problem in Germany: only a couple of specialized Nissan dealers are allowed to sell and service this car. I really don't want to drive 70 km to my next dealer, there are only 11 authorized dealers in Germany. I also doubt that a Nissan dealer over here, who sells Micra and whatever low budget cars, has the necessary skills to deal with high expectation customers like me. I also wonder if they can actually service the GT-R properly because to be honest, a mechanic who services Micras and other low budget cars, couldn't care less about the expectations of the owner of a 93000+ EUR car.

I don't say that Porsche is perfect, on the contrary but I would only consider buying the GT-R if I were desperate (or didn't have the money to get a 997 Turbo/S).

--

No, not every dealer can service a GT-R. They have to invest in special equipment and put their mechanic(s) through a specialized training course before they are allowed to.

--

RC:

If Nissan didn't take care of the quirks and issues, it is just another attempt to sell inferior hardware with impressive performance numbers. I hope Nissan isn't that dumb.

Well, that strategy has worked for a certain well respected German brand for years, right? By the way comparing the 997 Turbo S with new GT-R...the Nissan completely humiliates the Porsche round a track. Of course, if someone only cared about straight line performance the Turbo S is a better option, but what kind of people only cares about straight line performance when buying a sports car?

gangajas:
    RC:

If Nissan didn't take care of the quirks and issues, it is just another attempt to sell inferior hardware with impressive performance numbers. I hope Nissan isn't that dumb.

Well, that strategy has worked for a certain well respected German brand for years, right? 

It's good to see that you are practising your role as a bringer of sweetness and light to the forum in readiness for the start of the next Formula 1 season.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    gangajas:
    RC:

Well, that strategy has worked for a certain well respected German brand for years, right? 

It's good to see that you are practising your role as a bringer of sweetness and light to the forum in readiness for the start of the next Formula 1 season.  Smiley

Yes, every forum has its troll rolleyes.gif

--

Of course you'll be able to prove that anything that I've written in my post is false. Wonder how many IMS/RMS failures could occur before that happens.

gangajas:

Of course, if someone only cared about straight line performance the Turbo S is a better option, but what kind of people only cares about straight line performance when buying a sports car?

Smiley

--

--

gangajas:

Of course you'll be able to prove that anything that I've written in my post is false. Wonder how many IMS/RMS failures could occur before that happens.

I really don't know what you are talking about. I owned so many Porsche in the past and all of them proved to be pretty reliable, including those which have been highly tuned (Turbos).

I don't say that Porsche is perfect but honestly, I don't get your point. In fact, the 911 is the most reliable sports car on the market in Germany, at least according to the ADAC (our yellow "angels", those guys who come to help motorists who are in trouble with technical problems).

Then, try to compare how many 911 Porsche sold over the past 12 months with the number of sold GT-R (and their technical issues).

Sorry but I really don't get your point. Smiley

--

RC:
    gangajas:

I really don't know what you are talking about. I owned so many Porsche in the past and all of them proved to be pretty reliable, including those which have been highly tuned (Turbos).

I don't say that Porsche is perfect but honestly, I don't get your point. In fact, the 911 is the most reliable sports car on the market in Germany, at least according to the ADAC (our yellow "angels", those guys who come to help motorists who are in trouble with technical problems).

Then, try to compare how many 911 Porsche sold over the past 12 months with the number of sold GT-R (and their technical issues).

Sorry but I really don't get your point. Smiley

That I don't know if it would so dumb of Datsun to ignore the possible faults in their car considering how that strategy has worked for some manufacturers in the past. Anyway, it would be interesting to know what % of GT-R engines have had to be replaced and compare it to the % in other sports carmanufacturers in the past decade or so...

Of course its extremely fast gearbox seems to be the R35 Achilles' heel, maybe they should have opted for a torque converter 5sp gearbox instead.

Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:
    gangajas:
    RC:

But...we already had Nick!  Smiley  Has Rennteam grown so much that we need another?  

Smiley 

--

GM Austin:
    Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:
    gangajas:
    RC:

But...we already had Nick!  Smiley  Has Rennteam grown so much that we need another?  

Smiley 

--

Nick has converted to Porsche now so I think he is now trolling the Ferrari forums and giving them hell SmileySmiley 

anyway, Nick is funny and never took things too seriously, you could enjoy a good banter with him. He was no depressing grouch Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain 

Nick has converted to Porsche now so I think he is now trolling the Ferrari forums and giving them hell SmileySmiley 

anyway, Nick is funny and never took things too seriously, you could enjoy a good banter with him. He was no depressing grouch Smiley

I have to say I much prefer the good old Nick who used to bach Porsche, than this new "in love for Porsche" Nick Smiley  he was a delight to read and very funny...he was right on the spot, on many of his opinions Smiley

J.Seven

I definitely agree. I used to read Nick's arguments laughing out loud. It was such a good conversation with him. Occasionally joining, i really did enjoy his perspectives. However, he has seen the light and we welcome him wholeheartedly.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

So what do you think, does the 2012 GT-R deliver good value for the money?

Eunice:

If all problem's are ironed out, then for sure its a good buy.

Is the top of the range one at £70k worth it, not sure...

http://www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/sports-cars/gt-r-2011

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Eunice:

This is what I'm trying to find out. Smiley

For 92000 EUR (german price tag incl. 19% VAT), the GT-R surely offers a lot of performance. I still wouldn't buy it because it is very difficult to sell such a car in Germany but if Nissan would come up with a good lease offer, I would probably give it a shot.

--

RC:
    Eunice:

but if Nissan would come up with a good lease offer, I would probably give it a shot.

Smiley, you would.....Smiley...

They sure do loose money here too....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Here are the performance numbers measured by Road&Track:

• Weight: 3965 lbs (1798 kg)
    • 0-60mph: 2,9 s (0-100 km/h in est. 3,1 s)
    • 0-100mph: 7,1 s (0-160 km/h in est. 7,0 s)
    • Quarter mile: 11,1 s @ 124,3mph (0-200 km/h in 11,1 s)
    • Topspeed: 197mph (317 km/h)

0-100mph 7.1, sheeeeeet.....

The reliability does concern me still...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688496 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408685 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234765 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65384 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773336 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM