Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari estate breaks with tradition

I bet the convertable is going to look great, but this thing does not appeal to me at all, judging by the pictures here...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Hmm.. Looks like a longer alfa romeo brera.. or as some have said the z3 coupe

Hard to say.. Ferraris always look better in person.. but first impression - FF doesnt put a smile on the face.. I think such a car needs to have a timeless elegance.

Let the bangled bmw's have the shouty headlights and flame surfacing

I can recall many non-elegant and far from timeless Ferrari shapes. Various americanized shapes in the 60s,  the 70s 400 and  365 GTC/4, 80s Testarossa and 348,and the Enzo hypercar is no classical beauty either.  I am naming a few that come readily to my mind. Most people have a selective memory when it comes to Ferrari design.

At least with the FF they are attempting to introduce a new concept and enrich their cars with more substance. Don't forget that Ferrari want to reach the 10.000 units p.a. mark.

--

"Form follows function"

high res pictures here

http://www.netcarshow.com/ferrari/2012-ff/

reginos:

the Enzo hypercar is no classical beauty either.  I am naming a few that come readily to my mind. 

It may not be a classical beauty but super-Ferraris ought to be gobsmacking and utterly exotic and that it is in abundance! I am sure it will go down in history as one of the most striking Ferraris ever and quite right so.

As far as the FF is concerned, a friend of mine who owns an F430, a Roller and a Cayenne, loved it. This car targets those that already have a supersport Ferrari and want something more usable to complement their stable for those long road trips he said, and I am afraid he is right. It might not appeal to hardcore Ferraristi (as a matter of fact, another acquaintance - of much younger age than the aforementioned one - of mine who drives a 430 Scuderia called it a disgrace for the Prancing Horse), but it will appeal to more practically minded buyers of exotic machinery that already own a supersport Cavallino Rampante.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

993Targa:

Finally a Ferrari that you can drive to your mountain resort in the winter and bring your skis as well. Must say I really like it!  

Well, the teaser video car seems to spend more time driving in -20C and snow than all Ferrari's ever made have done... maybe that is the market.  Need to test the response in the ski resorts...

--

2010 Audi S5,  2009 Porsche 911S

The FF is also for the older Ferraristi  who don't fit into the tighter confines of the  M-E cars any longer.

IMO it is a positive move by Ferrari to redefine their cars and make them more usable in the real world instead of expensive ornaments. A trend that started with the California model.

However, they have to ensure that the new products' reliability and longevity will be such so as to stand up to real world usage too.

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos, Ferrari's core value is that of road legal race cars. They should not lose that special appeal and feeling. As long as they keep producing supersports cars, I guess they are allowed to produce a few more usable models as well. But their core business is not usable, every day models and it should stay that way.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

4trac:
    993Targa:

Finally a Ferrari that you can drive to your mountain resort in the winter and bring your skis as well. Must say I really like it!  

Well, the teaser video car seems to spend more time driving in -20C and snow than all Ferrari's ever made have done... maybe that is the market.  Need to test the response in the ski resorts...

With a bit of luck, they won't burst into flames there... Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

REALZEUS:

Reginos, Ferrari's core value is that of road legal race cars. They should not lose that special appeal and feeling. As long as they keep producing supersports cars, I guess they are allowed to produce a few more usable models as well. But their core business is not usable, every day models and it should stay that way.

What you say holds true but their effort to diversify proves that contemporary realities redefine car manufacture even in the case of the most exclusive and specialized manufacturers.

I'm more comfortable with Ferrari now that they are adding usability in their brand values.

--

"Form follows function"

I have mixed feelings about the new FF. Since I'm a big fan of the Z3 Coupé, I really  like the side view. The rear looks a bit cluttered to me and I don't like the front. Agree about the colour sensivity, perfomance-wise it will be fantastic of course.

I'm sure Ferrari was absolutely unsatisfied with the success of the 612 Scaglietti, though it was a good car. But at the least when the 599 was presented, the 612 really had a hard time. Other than the two extra seats it had nothing in advance compared to the 599. So Ferrari had to do something, something new, something different, somthing radical. They did with the FF, I think it's not a big risk for Ferrari to build a car like this. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I like it. I have always like shooting brakes. A gentleman farmer's race car !!!  A wolf under a sheep's skin . A sports car hidden under a tactical vehicle. Good to see Ferrari having a try at it.

And I agree fully with Rossi. Ferrari had to do a 4 seater that can sell. This one will be much better then the 612,

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Rossi:

I have mixed feelings about the new FF. Since I'm a big fan of the Z3 Coupé, I really  like the side view. The rear looks a bit cluttered to me and I don't like the front. Agree about the colour sensivity, perfomance-wise it will be fantastic of course

The rear of the FF looks a bit rectangular from a rear/top view, lacks the tapered cabin shape (from above) that gave the M Coupe some flow, as well as it exposed the sexy flares over the wheels..... but as always these few 2D pictures may not capture the 3D reality for the FF.   We must  wait for ISUK to come back and tell us he has one on order.  Smiley

MCoupe_rear1.jpg  

--

2010 Audi S5,  2009 Porsche 911S

Rossi:

I have mixed feelings about the new FF. Since I'm a big fan of the Z3 Coupé, I really  like the side view. The rear looks a bit cluttered to me and I don't like the front. Agree about the colour sensivity, perfomance-wise it will be fantastic of course.

I'm sure Ferrari was absolutely unsatisfied with the success of the 612 Scaglietti, though it was a good car. But at the least when the 599 was presented, the 612 really had a hard time. Other than the two extra seats it had nothing in advance compared to the 599. So Ferrari had to do something, something new, something different, somthing radical. They did with the FF, I think it's not a big risk for Ferrari to build a car like this. Smiley

--

I agree with you about the differenciation issue between the two front-engine V12 models, btw what you are saying about the 612 vs 599 holds true for the 456GT / 456MGT vs 550 / 575 also.  That being said by looking at the Giugaro GG Concept and seeing how beautiful it is I am wondering if putting a hatch and four-wheel drive while maintaining the classic coupe line would not have sufficed to solve this differentation issue.  I assume the shooting break concept was the only satisfying solution to allow travelling confortably in the back for long distances (like a GT car is intended to) and that the slopping roof of a Coupe hampers too much the habitability in the back .

I see this car like the Aston Martin Rapids, a beautiful car able to carry 4 people with agreement and sense of occasion.

Like everyone I will reserve my final judgment about the styling once I see real life pictures and even better the car in the flesh, the red one on the official release pictures looks wonderful but the grey one looks terrible.

Iain, that sounds like the US system. Dealer delivers the car to a good customer and six months later offers to provide a new car upon turning in the old car. The dealer promptly sells the old car probably above MSRP. 

Been there done that.Smiley

I was under the impression that Ferrari has taken measures to prevent the gaming of their allocations.Smiley

--

FF = Fugly Ferrari 

Are you a super rich mum and need to get your kids to school "in style"? Here is your answer...

Ferrari Quattro Smiley also sensible to the environment...

I hate the car. Period. Time for me to move to a new brand.

The latest great Ferrari with the classic 4 stop lights is the Scuderia. The rest is a new breed.

--

There is no try. Just do.

ISUK:

I doubt I would get any info on the spider koko. Ferrari are masters at keeping new models under wraps until the last possible minute. I don't expect to get any info on that model until late summer. All I've been told for now is that it does have a folding hard top.

I ordered a new 458 on Wednesday for April build along with another Cali for May build. I stuck to the same colour and spec for my 458 but added the carbon dash and JBL hifi which were unavailable first time round. I've given my next Cali a GTO inspired look so am keen to see that built

Iain,

I love the color combo of your Cali; what is GTO inspired look?

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Ferrari meets Volvo...oh boy. 

I would have loved to see a Ferrari sedan but this

Yes, it is something different...ugly different. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

pride355:

Iain,

I really like my current car as well but didn't want to do another the same or just slightly different so I decided to go for a sporty (but hopefully elegant at the same time) look this time around. I also had to consider what look will sell best in a couple of years time and stand out from the more normal choices many owners have made with this car.

It's going to be Nero Daytona metallic with a Grigio Opaco roof, race seats in nero leather and alcantara with 458 style centre section pattern, silver stitching, leather insert strip in yellow to match the brake callipers/shields/rev counter,  carbon fibre upper dash package and special request centre strip of dash in alcantara. I've also gone for the vintage titanium look front grille.

1295887083327Nero Daytona Grigio Opaco.JPG

Very nice looking. I like the subtle use of yellow to break up the black and I agree that future buyers will appreciate this look.

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

Carrageous:

Very nice looking. I like the subtle use of yellow to break up the black and I agree that future buyers will appreciate this look.

Very nice Iain, agree with Carregeous that the subtle use of yellow looks great, much better if you had the stitching in yellow as well. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    Carrageous:

Very nice Iain, agree with Carregeous that the subtle use of yellow looks great, much better if you had the stitching in yellow as well. Smiley

The yellow stitching would be too much Stefan. I wanted something elegant and less obvious if you know what I mean with this combination.

The Grigio Chiaro stitch compliments the grigio roof and makes the sparse use of the yellow elsewhere more striking IMHO. I've kept the flying bridge on the centre console in aluminium to compliment the aluminium internal door pulls and also to blend with the stitching. When the top is down the grey stitch should tie in subtley with the Grigio Opaco windscreen pillars and the titanium front grille. When viewed top down from behind, the rear number plate holder in carbon should tie in nicely with the carbon seatbacks and the carbon upper dash. The mix of leather, alcantara, carbon and alumium in the cabin should lift the black interior nicely with a range of complimenting textures and surface finishes. That's the theory anyway  Smiley

Here is the exterior of a GTO that inspired my choices.

Nero Grigio 5.JPG

ISUK:
    Rossi:
    Carrageous:

The yellow stitching would be too much Stefan. I wanted something elegant and less obvious if you know what I mean with this combination.

The Grigio Chiaro stitch compliments the grigio roof and makes the sparse use of the yellow elsewhere more striking IMHO. I've kept the flying bridge on the centre console in aluminium to compliment the aluminium internal door pulls and also to blend with the stitching. When the top is down the grey stitch should tie in subtley with the Grigio Opaco windscreen pillars and the titanium front grille. When viewed top down from behind, the rear number plate holder in carbon should tie in nicely with the carbon seatbacks and the carbon upper dash. The mix of leather, alcantara, carbon and alumium in the cabin should lift the black interior nicely with a range of complimenting textures and surface finishes. That's the theory anyway  Smiley

Sorry for my bad English, Iain.

I meant "grey stitching and yellow stripe only is much better than yellow stripe and yellow stitching". Never was a fan of yellow stitching, your combo is just perfect. Smiley

--

Rossi:

I meant "grey stitching and yellow stripe only is much better than yellow stripe and yellow stitching". Never was a fan of yellow stitching, your combo is just perfect. Smiley

Your English is near flawless Stefan Smiley

ISUK:
    pride355:

Iain,

I really like my current car as well but didn't want to do another the same or just slightly different so I decided to go for a sporty (but hopefully elegant at the same time) look this time around. I also had to consider what look will sell best in a couple of years time and stand out from the more normal choices many owners have made with this car.

It's going to be Nero Daytona metallic with a Grigio Opaco roof, race seats in nero leather and alcantara with 458 style centre section pattern, silver stitching, leather insert strip in yellow to match the brake callipers/shields/rev counter,  carbon fibre upper dash package and special request centre strip of dash in alcantara. I've also gone for the vintage titanium look front grille.

1295887083327Nero Daytona Grigio Opaco.JPG

Iain,

You have both; the money and the taste Smiley Very nice configuration which is very unusual. I didn't know that this kind of config. is possible for Cali.

Very very nice Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

The 612 was never updated enough to keep the sales up, Ferrari should not complain. There was a rumor about a 612M which never came through.

Feels like 612 values, especially manual ones, just went up because of the shape of the FF Seriously, the "old" 612 is an amazing value (especially 05-07 MY).

Last, no mention above that the FF might be one of the last high HP engine out there non turbo in the GT category. There is some value in that.

ISUK:
    Rossi:

Your English is near flawless Stefan Smiley

Thank you Iain. Smiley

--

Atzporsche:

WOW i really like it, very very aggressive yet truly a Ferrari. Better pics.. Picture 1.png

Looks similar to this M coupe:

bmw-m-coupe-side-1_120.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761178 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434637 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260132 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80819 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871528 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806764 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM