Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

Dealer told me that on my GT3 RS - the oil only needs to be changed +20k km.... ? - do you need to change the oil or are you doing this on yr own ?

BjoernB:

Dealer told me that on my GT3 RS - the oil only needs to be changed +20k km.... ? - do you need to change the oil or are you doing this on yr own ?

I agree with John...I will change the oil in the GTS per the Porsche Service Manuel recommendations. ....which is every 10,000 miles (or once per year if you don't drive 10,000 miles per year).  Smiley   

I guess I go for once a year too - every spring 

Over 9000 views with over 300 replies - a really remarkable thread for a remarkable car

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Easy - you are right.. it is a remarkable car and, so far, very rare.  I've had my GTS for almost four months now and, strangely enough, I saw another GTS, on the road, for the first time today.

It was a black GTS cabriolet which I pulled up behind in traffic.  I was about to flash the driver to stop for a chat when it suddenly turned right and... whoosh, it was gone!

Must say it looked great in black  - just wish I'd been able to see the whole car and to have a chat with the driver...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John, I've seen 2 Carrera GTS here in London ... both were in Carrara White and were leaving Canary Wharf at the end of the working day ... I saw one recently in Florida on holiday - it was Meteor Grey with black wheels - it looked amazing!

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Best combo I've seen so far was a GT-Silver one, cocoa interior and Carrera Sport wheels... Stunning car!

The RS-Spyder centrelocks need a spacer at the back to look good on a widebody, imo...

Porker:

Best combo I've seen so far was a GT-Silver one, cocoa interior and Carrera Sport wheels... Stunning car!

The RS-Spyder centrelocks need a spacer at the back to look good on a widebody, imo...

Have to disagree Frank - the GTS was born to be white with black interior, wheels and accessories..Smiley

The car sits very well without spacers IMHO..

I am thinking about trying black rear stone chip guards a la the Speedster.  The clear ones are difficult to keep clean particularly on the edges..

997speedster-02.jpg

--

Big fan of the black stone guard! Same goes for the Fuchs-style wheels btw...

+1

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

...take it as a teaser...my GTS was build today. White / black-alcantara...6 Speed ...PASM Sport....and 2 original Porsche extras as mentioned in 2 or 3 threads before...;-)) Pictures to follow next weekend!

...and John / Doug good to read your posts...pushed my pleasant anticipation on my own GTS. I think also the GTS is very special and the crown to the 911/Carrera line. Really looking forward to my 911 Carrera GTS!

I joined RT just a few days ago and I'm very impressed with the quality and usefulness of the posts - great forum, guys!  It's fantastic to come across a group of people who are as passionate about Porsche and the "thrill of driving" as I am.

I've been agonising for a while about replacing my 997.1 Carrera S with either a used 997.1 GT3 or a new Carrera GTS (both of which are selling at roughly the same price, at least in this market).  Reading the posts of recent GTS buyers - especially John H and doug1950 - has definitely swayed me in favour of the GTS.  So, it seems I'm about to take the plunge - will be visiting the local OPC on Friday to test-drive both back to back and make a final decision.  (By the way, the dealer has assured me that if I place an order soon, I should be in line for a Sept/Oct delivery - contrary to some recent reports which suggested that no new orders were being taken for the GTS).

In deciding on a spec for the GTS, I'd appreciate some advice on a few issues.  I will definitely be tracking the car, although the opportunities to do so are few and far between (no more than maybe 3-4 times a year).  For me, a Porsche is all about the joy of "spirited" driving though, so my initial spec includes: manual transmission (I've driven a few 911s with PDK and know it's a fantastic box, but for me there's no substitute for the involvement and control of a stick shift), Sport Chrono Package, PASM sports chassis (-20mm) with limited slip diff, sport shifter and TPM.

* I've heard conflicting reports about the sport shifter, which Porsche claims reduces throw by 25% - some say it's fantastic, while others regard it as unnecessary at best.  I'm also concerned about the warning on the Configurator about "increased shifting effort when cold".  The manual shifter in my C2S is great, but obviously a little sticky when cold (especially into first).  If anyone's used one of these, I'd like to hear your comments about the pros and cons.

* I'd also like to hear views on the 20mm-lowered sports chassis.  I've seen posts about this on a different thread, which suggested that even in Normal mode the lowered chassis may be too hard for  urban driving.  My experience of the C2S is that with PASM in Normal, the suspension is more than compliant enough (and certainly softer than in my previous Porsche - a Cayman S without PASM).  If Normal mode with a lowered sports chassis sits somewhere between Normal and Sport in my C2S, I could live with that - in return for the improvement in driving dynamics.

* John, you've mentioned on a few occasions that your sport exhaust (PSE) is "always on".  Especially given what I've heard about the engine note of the DFI 997.2 engine not quite matching the guttural roar of my 997.1 in Sport mode, this looks like a useful option to have.  I'm aware of the fact that the "always-on" option can be engineered as an after-market mod, but is it possible to order a GTS from the factory with this option?

* Finally , a bit of aesthestics: I'd like to order the GTS with a paint to sample (PTS) option, specifically in Pure Blue (the colour used recently for the 997 Speedster).  However, I don't see any mention of PTS in the GTS configurator.  Has anyone ordered a GTS with PTS and, if so, was Porsche prepared to comply?  (It would also be useful to get an idea of the cost implications and the impact on delivery time).  If I can't have Pure Blue, I guess I'll have to settle for Aqua Blue (John, I agree the GTS looks great in Carrara White, but after an Arctic Silver and an Atlas Grey, I'm ready for a brighter colour).

So much for keeping this post short - apologies for the length.Smiley

That's quite the introduction! Welcome aboard! Welcome to Rennteam

Welcome PureBlueSmiley

Porsche will do just about anything for you as long as you are prepared to pay. The only down side to PTS that I can see is that you may have to wait longer for delivery. I have 2 weeks left before my GTS arrives and the wait has been brutal but I am assured by the other GTS owners that the wait will be worth itSmiley

I presume you will track the car at Killarney - great circuit. I watched the classic races there a couple of years ago

Welcome PureBlue! I saw the speedster live and think the color will look great on the GTS. 

--

Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Oct 2011

John H:
    Porker:

Have to disagree Frank - the GTS was born to be white with black interior, wheels and accessories..Smiley

The car sits very well without spacers IMHO..

I am thinking about trying black rear stone chip guards a la the Speedster.  The clear ones are difficult to keep clean particularly on the edges..

997speedster-02.jpg

Re, keeping the clear film clean. My GT3 has had paint film applied all over the front of it. I have no issues keeping it clean, but if your film is starting to yellow it will probably be down to the tyre gloss that a lot of garages and owners apply. This stuff will  stain the film, so IMO don't use it. 

You can clean the film using a white wall tyre cleaner (Duragloss #701 WTC) and the edges of the film can be kept clean using a wooden tooth pick, or an Autoglym plastic sponge (magic sponge). 

If the staining and yellowing is very bad then Swissvax cleaner fluid on a rotary polishing machine will make it better.

Lastly if you do go to the Black film as on the speedster, it might be worth thinking about the black headlight surrounds as shown on the picture above. I suspect this is not cheap as you will need to replace the headlight assembly, whith speedster or sport classic ones, but i think they are dynamic headlights as standard so as per the dynamic headlight thread not a small cost (assuming your car does not have dynamic headlights)

Many thanks for the suggestions Chris... I'll certainly give them a try..

If I do go to black, I don't think the headlights will worry me too much.. especially as I ordered dynamics on my original spec'.

--

Welcome to the forum PureBlue!

To address your questions, I can only answer a few. Tthese are my opinions and experiences.

Do the short shifter. I find it lovely and you may possibly need 30% more effort, but it makes the driving experience far more eventful.

About the PTS, you will need to add another 60-90 days on top of your existing wait time subject to availability of the paint. It is also a 90k option in your currency. Best check with your OPC the exact amount.

Welcome to Rennteam PureBlue Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

PureBlue:

* I'd also like to hear views on the 20mm-lowered sports chassis.  I've seen posts about this on a different thread, which suggested that even in Normal mode the lowered chassis may be too hard for  urban driving.  My experience of the C2S is that with PASM in Normal, the suspension is more than compliant enough (and certainly softer than in my previous Porsche - a Cayman S without PASM).  If Normal mode with a lowered sports chassis sits somewhere between Normal and Sport in my C2S, I could live with that - in return for the improvement in driving dynamics.

* John, you've mentioned on a few occasions that your sport exhaust (PSE) is "always on".  Especially given what I've heard about the engine note of the DFI 997.2 engine not quite matching the guttural roar of my 997.1 in Sport mode, this looks like a useful option to have.  I'm aware of the fact that the "always-on" option can be engineered as an after-market mod, but is it possible to order a GTS from the factory with this option?

Welcome to Rennteam PureBlue... and congrats on your choice of a GTS..Smiley

I chose PASM over SPASM and am very pleased with the ride it offers.  In normal mode the suspension is slightly firmer than with my previous C2S and sport mode is much more 'usable' for very spirited twisties on every day roads.  The GTS suspension is modified anyway and, together with LSD, PASM is IMHO the best choice.

Regarding PSE, I think my mention of "always on" referred to the C2S with the mod which eliminated the PSE cutting in and out with speed/revs.  On the GTS (and all 997.2 models) PSE is operated by an on/off switch and when engaged doesn't cut in or out at all.

In other words it's either fully on or off depending on your preference of switch position. Smiley

--

Thanks to everyone for the welcoming words - and for the feedback to my questions.

John: Thanks for clarifying on PSE.  I misunderstood you to mean that it was literally always on.  In my C2S, I have exactly the same situation you refer to, i.e. once Sport mode is engaged, my PSE stays open regardless of speed or revs.  Also appreciate your comments re SPASM.

Mike: Good feedback on the sport shifter.  I think this pretty much settles it - the sport shifter stays in the spec!

Gilmour: Killarney race track is indeed my local stomping ground (and the venue for our Porsche Club track days) - nice that you're familiar with it.  Regarding my Pure Blue PTS request, I'm afraid the answer was negative.  This is the response I received from the OPC, verbatim: "Unfortunately, PAG have not yet planned to offer Pure Blue as a colour to sample or custom colour, so we cannot order it".  So it's back to the drawing board.  I've asked them to check on a few other classic Porsche blues (Maritime, Adriatic and Turquoise), but it looks like I may have to settle for Aqua Blue - which is not necessarily a bad option: have a look at this stunning GTS cab which I copied from another forum.  Should look just as good on a coupe.AquaBlue.jpg

This car is stunning!130555859292910.gif

BTW - A warm neighborly welcome to the forum.

easy_rider911:

Welcome to Rennteam PureBlue Smiley

+1 ! And great introduction and car choice.

Welcome PureBlue.

If OPC doesn't want to do it, raise the issue higher up?

PTS, paint-to-sample, which means pretty much any color is do-able.

General update...... Oil reading down 2 bars, so added 1 Litre of Mobil 1 today... now fully topped up again.

First addition of oil since new  - 4 months and 3670 miles.  Pretty good I feel..? 

--

John H:

General update...... Oil reading down 2 bars, so added 1 Litre of Mobil 1 today... now fully topped up again.

First addition of oil since new  - 4 months and 3670 miles.  Pretty good I feel..? 

That's very good. My DFI Carrera S was a real oil burner.....

The GT3 has not used a drop in 4700 miles.

Welcome PureBlue!   It's great to have another (soon to be) GTS owner on board.     Believe us, you will surely love this great car!

Your specs are very much like my GTS...and I love the sport shifter and PSE (on or off option).  I keep PSE off when I am coming and going from my quiet little neighborhood.   

The clutch and throttle response in Sport Mode is entirely engaging and will really impress you!   ...as well as the PASM! 

Excellence magazine (May, 2011) calls the intuitive PASM in the GTS "an enormous improvement from PASM systems of the past". 

The GTS is truly a solidly built, extremely nimble and versatile 911 and perhaps the best of the current 997's,  IMHO.  The performance and style of the GTS is simply perfect for me and I can honestly say it exceeded my expedtations in every area!  

John - I just went over 3,100 miles and have only added 1/2 quart of oil (at about 2,500 miles after my "spirited" track day).  I am now down about one bar again, so very happy with the lack of oil consumption so far! 

PureBlue:

Regarding my Pure Blue PTS request, I'm afraid the answer was negative.  This is the response I received from the OPC, verbatim: "Unfortunately, PAG have not yet planned to offer Pure Blue as a colour to sample or custom colour, so we cannot order it".  So it's back to the drawing board.  I've asked them to check on a few other classic Porsche blues (Maritime, Adriatic and Turquoise), but it looks like I may have to settle for Aqua Blue - which is not necessarily a bad option:  

I suspect that the real answer, if only they could come right out and say it, would be:

"This car will be one of the last ones off the line before the imminent model change, so there is no way we can reliably coordinate colour-matched PTS parts from all the different suppliers involved in the short time left". 

You have to keep in mind that the body, the front bumper cover, the rear bumper cover, the exterior mirrors and any other body-colour parts you might care to order might all be painted in different factories, so PTS is a real logistical PITA, which is why delivery is always longer than standard colours, and it is not offered very early or late in the model life cycle.

--

fritz

Doug, thanks for the feedback.  As I mentioned in my original post, reading the reviews from yourself and John has really fired up my interest in the GTS.  Outside of the GT3 / GT3 RS, I have little doubt that it is the pick of the 997s.

I guess I have only two niggling doubts left before making the final call:
    1.  Is it sufficiently different from my current 997.1 C2S (with Sport Chrono, PSE, PASM) to be a compelling buy?
    2. Given how close we are to the introduction of the 991, wouldn't it make sense to wait for the new model?

Decisions, decisions!!!Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805687 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449100 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266725 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90293 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886675 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835372 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM