Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Battery or more serious?

Just tried to start the car this evening.

Remote un-locking not working (assume it has gone to sleep) so let myself in with the key.

Got engaged in a conversation with a neighbour, so distractedly forgot to put the key in the ignition promptly so alam went off. Oops.

However, on turning the key in the ignition, I got a couple of beeping faults

1) Spoiler fault (spoiler position sensor or something).

2) Airbag fault.

Locking the car with the remote produces a couple of feeble beeps from the horn when locking. (Almost like a fault code?)

Annoyingly, the spoiller has raised but (as none of the dash buttons are responding) It won't retract.

Repeatedly turning off the ignition completely and then turning it on again does not make any difference.

Now... It was pretty cold last night, rained which then froze. The battery is original, but it gets regularly driven, I drove over a hundred miles last weekend, no problem whatsoever. In recent cold weather it has never failed to start.

Question is, are these just symptoms of a very low battery, or has the cold weather caused an electrical problem?

Is there a reset procedure that can be done without hooking the car up to diagnositcs?

Cheers for any input!

SmileySmiley

Re: Battery or more serious?

Can you get at the battery to give it a charge?

I would also just check/change or charge the battery to see if that is the problem.

Cold weather will not hurt your battery if it is in good shape, but if the battery is already old and no so strong anymore, the cold will give it it's final shoot.

I have to change my battery about every 3 years.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks guys. Car is a 2005, so battery is 5.5 years old. I suspect it has given up the ghost, but it has always started fine up til now, even in the colder weather over Christmas. It was too cold and dark last night to faff but will give it a jump later.

5.5 years? Youv'e done well with the battery, mine self destruct 1 nanosecond after the warranty expires!

I hope you sorted it - at 5 1/2 years old you've done really well, particularly if your car isn't garaged with the bitterly cold winter weather we had leat month. Hopefully a new battery will restore all the faults. I suspect the on board computers have thrown a wobbler with low voltage.

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Battery replacement for sure.... they can tend to fail very abruptly...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Managed to get front open but not jump... the jump cable clamps disintegrated on me. Cheap Halfords rubbish. Grr. hinge plastic broke on one and metal spring snapped on another. They were quite old though.

Original battery is Moll Kamina 570 069 057 12v 70Ah 340A (I think - it was dark and wet).

Moll application list (and everywhere else I've looked) states it should be an 80Ah. (I have the 3.2).... Views?

Also anyone got any recommondations on replacement and how much initial charge conditionning affects battery lifetime?

Had a similar experience with my Boxster. The battery was +5 years old and gave up (a few bleeps and warning lights went off and then... total darkness). Called Porsche Assistance who delivered and installed a new battery within 30 mins. Pretty impressive. Only had to pay for the battery.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

wtsnet:

Original battery is Moll Kamina 570 069 057 12v 70Ah 340A (I think - it was dark and wet).

Moll application list (and everywhere else I've looked) states it should be an 80Ah. (I have the 3.2).... Views?

Also anyone got any recommondations on replacement and how much initial charge conditionning affects battery lifetime?

If the car is generally parked outside overnight, go for the "biggest" (in terms of Ah) battery which you care to afford. That will give you more reserve capacity in cold weather. 

I think your car may have been fitted with different battery capacites depending on the market it was destined for.

If you have extended warranty, you may be tied to the OEM brand? Smiley

--

fritz

BTW if a car is fitted with a Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (like mine is), it has to have a higher strength battery fitted.

@fritz, do you know which Ah should be used normally for a 997.1 C2S and also for one with a PVTS? Which higher strength OEM brand ones can I safely fit?

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I did a search on the Moll website and found this:

http://www.moll-batterien.de/moll_englisch/downloads/zuordnungsliste_pkw.xls

http://www.moll-batterien.de/moll_englisch/produkte.html

Hope that helps

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

@fritz, do you know which Ah should be used normally for a 997.1 C2S and also for one with a PVTS? Which higher strength OEM brand ones can I safely fit?

Car brochures and drivers' manuals appear to be strangely silent on the subject of battery sizes.

IIRC, the biggest battery which will physically fit into the 997/987 cars is 96Ah, but don't take that information to the bank. 

I have heard others speak highly of batteries sold under the Bosch / Varta brand names. (Same product, differently branded, I believe Varta version is generally sold cheaper than Bosch in the UK). This is beginning to sound like another current thread. Smiley 

--

fritz

fritz:
     This is beginning to sound like another current thread. Smiley 

Give the man a big slap! Smiley

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate you all being so positive, you're really charging my confidence! Smiley

@Easy : thanks for that. Infact that was the application list, which was the one I found and why I asked. The list indicates an 85Ah, but maybe that's for the German market and the UK chooses to fit lower where it doesn't need it (I don't have a tracker or PCM)

@Fritz : I'd agree to go larger. I have trouble getting hold (by delivery) of a Bosch / Varta which I'd prefer, let alone another Moll. I can get hold of cheaper '096' batteries, but I don't think they are a good fit, being slightly shorter width. Also I'm not sure if the vent is on the wrong side.

@bluelines : That was a good result! unfortunately since I got turned down for a warranty earlier in the year (Due to trivial things) I am without Assistance. Incidentally, I was quoted £250 for a new battery fitted by Porsche.

I'm suffering a bit from lack of equipment, but have used a borrowed a jump-pack to at least drop the spoiler and raise the window. With the pack, the warnings go away, but it's not strong enough to start (it's still not reached full charge yet, but I'm not sure it's man enough for a 3.2 flat six).

I did notice that on turning the key to start, the headlights flashed and wipers started to move (though both are off). I'm not sure if this is just a result of the pack not being fully charged or if it is a symptom of un-wellness....

Smiley

wtsnet:

@bluelines : That was a good result! unfortunately since I got turned down for a warranty earlier in the year (Due to trivial things) I am without Assistance. Incidentally, I was quoted £250 for a new battery fitted by Porsche.

That is about what I paid for the battery too.

I don't have a warranty either, but since I so far did all my service at an official Porsche garage they said Assistance get's extended. Maybe it is different in the UK?

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

wtsnet:
    fritz:

The pun that you detected was unintended. Smiley

I was referring to the other thread currently running in which buying discounted branded goods is being discussed. (Aldi, Lidl, et al). 

--

fritz

fritz:
    wtsnet:
    fritz:

The pun that you detected was unintended. Smiley

I was referring to the other thread currently running in which buying discounted branded goods is being discussed. (Aldi, Lidl, et al). 

Sorry, I thought that was Fritz humour!  Smiley I hadn't read the other thread - out of interest, in what way do you feel this is similar? (I'm not sure what you mean!)

Amend: Ah, just re-read your post in full. I see what you mean!... Actually, I read somewhere online someone saying the Varta was not so good. (The internet often contradicts itself!) 

Who is the origninal manufacturer? Varta or someone else? I'm just happy with something decent, 80Ah, the right size and with the vent on the right side and of the right shape tube. Hard to tell when ordering online!

bluelines:
    wtsnet:

That is about what I paid for the battery too.

I don't have a warranty either, but since I so far did all my service at an official Porsche garage they said Assistance get's extended. Maybe it is different in the UK?

I assume so... I was quoted £165 to rejoin and £70 callout fee for using it immediately. No mention of feebies for good behaviour. (I have all OPC servicing as well). So you'd be looking at £484 to get Assistance to come out and change a £100 battery. Smiley

FYI my battery died on me as well just after having bought the car (997 carrera - second hand) and was luckily replaced under warranty. 

I asked my dealership to fit a stronger battery than the one I had (80 or 85 I think) and they told me it was not possible because the car's computer is only programmed to re-charge that particular type of battery. Putting something else in would not work...

I offered to pay the difference between the standard battery and the stronger one (suspecting that it might have something to do with the warranty only paying for a particular type), but this apparently did not change a thing.

I am not an electrician (and the above sounds a bit as a "dodgy explanation" from the dealership), but I wanted to share my experience in this respect 

Seems like a strange explanation to me - why wouldn't the alternator charge a slightly more powerful battery?  

--

easy_rider911:

Seems like a strange explanation to me - why wouldn't the alternator charge a slightly more powerful battery?  

You are such a gentleman, easy, saying "strange explanation" when you really mean "bullsh!t".  Smiley

The alternator surely only "knows" what battery voltage it has to overcome to charge the battery. It does not recognize that it might be called upon to charge the battery for a longer period, as would be the case with a larger battery as opposed to a smaller battery discharged to the same "Ah" level. Smiley

--

fritz

That was my idea too but I did not dare to challenge the technician as I do not have an electrical background... Will make sure to replace this battery with a stronger one on the next occasion. I have to admit tough that the not starting of the car was such a shock that it's now always connected to a charger.

Many thanks for the input!! Much appreciated 

My original Moll died last year after about 5 years. I have used Varta several times in the past and had nothing but good experiences - typically they last me 6-8 years, so I fitted a Varta F17 to the 987 costing about £80. The Varta is wider than the old Moll (and 80Ah versus 63Ah I think) but lines up with the next wider mounting hole so fitting was no problem. If I remember right I had to switch the exit side for the vent but the Varta has exit options both ends - just pull the blanking plug out of the end you want to use and put in the other end if its wrong as delivered.

fritz:
    easy_rider911:

You are such a gentleman, easy, saying "strange explanation" when you really mean "bullsh!t".  Smiley

Thanks fritz - I didn't want to come straight out and say that I thought the OPC was talking nonsense Smiley

fritz:

The alternator surely only "knows" what battery voltage it has to overcome to charge the battery. It does not recognize that it might be called upon to charge the battery for a longer period, as would be the case with a larger battery as opposed to a smaller battery discharged to the same "Ah" level. Smiley

You explained it much more simply and elegantly than I could Smiley

--

CharlesL:

My original Moll died last year after about 5 years. I have used Varta several times in the past and had nothing but good experiences - typically they last me 6-8 years, so I fitted a Varta F17 to the 987 costing about £80. The Varta is wider than the old Moll (and 80Ah versus 63Ah I think) but lines up with the next wider mounting hole so fitting was no problem. If I remember right I had to switch the exit side for the vent but the Varta has exit options both ends - just pull the blanking plug out of the end you want to use and put in the other end if its wrong as delivered.

Funny you should say that CharlesL - I ordered the very same battery yesterday (Varta '110' type, F17 80Ah 'Blue') from Bristol Batteries, just under £75 delivered, with a discount as they will take the old one back. Great service. 3 year warranty, which beats OPC £250 with a 2 year warranty... I can't find the radio code, so I might have to have that reset at some point, but it's no great temporary loss as I don't listen to it much. Just got to swap it over now, when it stops raining....

After reading all of the above, I certainly got lucky on my X5. My Battery went t*ts up when it was 3yr 4 months old so that was 4 month out of warranty. Because only that short period out of warranty BMW replaced the battery free of charge as a "good will gesture". The quote before they did for free was £645.00, all in with fitting  ...

And yes, with the battery low on juice I was getting all sorts of on board warnings...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

wtsnet:
    ... I can't find the radio code, so I might have to have that reset at some point, but it's no great temporary loss as I don't listen to it much. Just got to swap it over now, when it stops raining....

If you have access to another (even fairly old knackered, but with some charge) battery and a couple of lengths of wire, you can wire that in parallel to the main battery while you change them over if you don't want to lose the radio. You can also use the same idea with jump leads to another car, or use one of the emergency starter boxes through the cigarette lighter socket (but make sure you pick one that is always on!).

The only thing you should NOT do is connect the old battery in through the cigarette lighter socket - the current surge to the old battery when you plug in the new battery will probably blow a fuse - and maybe worse!

Finally got time, clear skies and daylight to do the swap this morning. As CharlesL said, the Varta is a little longer, but pretty much the same weight. Standing in the luggage space to change it was no problem, and the radio (CDR24, not PCM) kept alive too, despite the old battery being completely dead (No dash lights on ignition, even the beeping had given up), and me not bothering to keep a voltage on the car whilst I swapped.

Reset the window positions, did the 'turn the wheel to the lock extents' a couple of times, then drove a couple hundred metres down the road until the PSM recovered.

Maybe it was just happy to be alive again, but the engine seemed to be much more eager to rev to the red line immediately after the change, behaved like it'd been spanked with a riding crop. Maybe it's just the engine management 'learning', and it'll calm down a bit soon. I hope not though!

Job done, and a saving of £175. I thought Porsche was bad, But, blimey JohnH, £645 from BMW? What ARE these people on?? Took me all of 15 minutes, including vacuuming all the spiders and crap out of the tray.

The old battery is slightly bulged on the right, so I'm guessing it's toast.

Cheers for the help guys! Smiley

wtsnet:

But, blimey JohnH, £645 from BMW? What ARE these people on??

I don't remember saying that?? Smiley

I've never paid anything for a BMW battery..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    wtsnet:

But, blimey JohnH, £645 from BMW? What ARE these people on??

I don't remember saying that?? Smiley

I've never paid anything for a BMW battery..Smiley

Apologies John, it was Throt.... Oops! Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755350 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431615 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258875 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255920 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79907 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868959 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803005 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM