Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

$?

Hi everyone,

not knowing Ferrari owners personally, I'm turning to this forum to help me out.

We might buy  a 2004 CS we found down Florida, but we heard Ferraris are quite expensive to "maintain", if I can say it that way. We know there's "a price to pay", but we just want to know what to expect REALLY. The dealer obviously won't say it all, so again, I turn to you to make me see clear.

Thanks a lot,  I know your honesty will help!

(sorry my English s***s...it's been a while!LOL)

Re: $?

Which Ferrari? The newer the model, the more reasonable maintenance is. The 355 needs engine-out service every few years. The 360 need belt changes every three years but the engine stays in the car. The 430 has chains instead of belts so it's less expensive than the 360. You should change the fluids on all of them every year, according to the manual. If you're handy, do it yourself. There are plenty of resources online that can show you what to do. You can get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) from a reputable dealer before you buy to give you some peace of mind. This will list outstanding service issues and give you info on clutch and brake wear.

A friend once gave me this simple rule: "If you are used to a Porsche 911 and you want a newer Ferrari, expect three times the cost of the Porsche for maintenance". I don't know if this is true but I know that many Ferrari owners use independent "free" repair shops for cost reasons, so there seems to be some truth in it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I actually read on another thread yesterday that most of the "rumors" we hear about the very high maintenance fees come from people who don't own one, so they just "spread the word"...

@JoeRockhead: it's a 2004 360 Challenge Stradale, Tour de France blue, 22,2631 miles. We actually found another one closer to our home, 2004 360 CS, "rosso I don't know", 16,000 miles.

maliya65:

I actually read on another thread yesterday that most of the "rumors" we hear about the very high maintenance fees come from people who don't own one, so they just "spread the word"...

That's not true at all!!  Ferrari's Maintenance fees was and will always be expensive.

RC was right when he said that many owners choose to use outside shops. I use them all the time to save money and time.

I know it's more expensive, it's just that some people say "you have to change this and that every X time, and it costs 20K+" , the persons who told us that were against the idea of getting a Ferrari, telling us that we would be "traitor" if we go on the "other side"....We are definitely aware that the costs will be higher, we just want to hear some owners' side of the story, you know what I mean?I know some of it is true, but like you said, outside shops are good too, that's where they sell the red one we found.

koko:
    maliya65:

That's not true at all!!  Ferrari's Maintenance fees was and will always be expensive.

RC was right when he said that many owners choose to use outside shops. I use them all the time to save money and time.

There are lots of guys on Fchat who will tell you that it's not that bad. 430 annual maintenance will cost you about $1000. 360 is about the same except the manual says to change the belts every 3 years, although some say you can go 5. That "major" service will cost you $4-5K but they do more than just belts. If you break something on the car it's another matter altogether. Owners I've talked to say you should have around $10K on hand in case something breaks. The 360CS is a great car, but make sure you get the PPI first. Pads and rotors for that car are pricey.

Thanks a lot, it really helps. We have an appointment on Thursday, so we'll see if we really are ready for this kind of "beast", and we'll have the opportunity to ask few questions too.

@maliya65: please rest assured - none of the guys here on RT will say you are a "traitor" for picking a particular brand or turning your back on a particular brand. We're not that kind of forum. The atmosphere here is positive and supportive about ownership of all performance car brands (even Nissan GT-Rs ). You'll find guys here who are helpful and knowledgeable. We have (obviously) many Porsche owners here but plenty of Ferrari owners too.

(NB: you're far from being the first to query the increased cost of running a Ferrari, Lambo or an Aston compared to the typical running costs of a Porsche ). My recollection of reading similar discussions before here on RT is that Ferraris can cost two or three times the overall maintenance cost of a Porsche over the car's lifetime. It may not be the servicing itself that is much more expensive but the cost of repair if/when things break or need replacement. That's all part of the price of admission for Ferrari ownership.

Your priority is to get a reasonably accurate idea of what kind of ballpark costs are involved and then deciding if that's comfortably manageable for you. You can always call the Service Reception for a Ferrari dealership to ask them for a similar ballpark idea too. It's also good to talk to the Ferrari technicians in the workshop who can tell you what kind of things typically go wrong or need replacement etc. You can then ask the Service Receptionist how much those kinds of repair jobs typically cost. That way you have your eyes open before you take the plunge.

Good luck with your decision

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

@maliya65: please rest assured - none of the guys here on RT will say you are a "traitor" for picking a particular brand or turning your back on a particular brand. We're not that kind of forum. The atmosphere here is positive and supportive about ownership of all performance car brands (even Nissan GT-Rs ). You'll find guys here who are helpful and knowledgeable. We have (obviously) many Porsche owners here but plenty of Ferrari owners too.

(NB: you're far from being the first to query the increased cost of running a Ferrari, Lambo or an Aston compared to the typical running costs of a Porsche ). My recollection of reading similar discussions before here on RT is that Ferraris can cost two or three times the overall maintenance cost of a Porsche over the car's lifetime. It may not be the servicing itself that is much more expensive but the cost of repair if/when things break or need replacement. That's all part of the price of admission for Ferrari ownership.

Your priority is to get a reasonably accurate idea of what kind of ballpark costs are involved and then deciding if that's comfortably manageable for you. You can always call the Service Reception for a Ferrari dealership to ask them for a similar ballpark idea too. It's also good to talk to the Ferrari technicians in the workshop who can tell you what kind of things typically go wrong or need replacement etc. You can then ask the Service Receptionist how much those kinds of repair jobs typically cost. That way you have your eyes open before you take the plunge.

Good luck with your decision

Well said Smiley

Ferrari ownership is very expensive (it is definitely a multiple of Porsche ownership), but if you want one, you should try it at least once.  They're very special cars and I'm glad I did it.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Personally, I'm more of a Lamborghini type of guy but if someone can afford a Ferrari, financially and socially, why not ? They build great and beautiful cars, even if our admin /mods team members who owned one, always had trouble with them.   

I would definitely buy one once in a lifetime, just to enjoy this experience.

For the same money, I would rather buy a Gallardo LP 560 or even go further up for a Murcielago. 

If cost is an issue, I would probably rather stick to a Porsche 997 Turbo S. So far, this car offers the best performance/value/reliability ratio of all sports cars to date.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    If cost is an issue, I would probably rather stick to a Porsche 997 Turbo S. So far, this car offers the best performance/value/reliability ratio of all sports cars to date.

I can absolutely agree with that. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

RC:

or even go further up for a Murcielago. 

RC, r u for real?? Smiley

Is the "End of the days" upon us??

RC:

Personally, I'm more of a Lamborghini type of guy but if someone can afford a Ferrari, financially and socially, why not ? They build great and beautiful cars, even if our admin /mods team members who owned one, always had trouble with them.   

I would definitely buy one once in a lifetime, just to enjoy this experience.

For the same money, I would rather buy a Gallardo LP 560 or even go further up for a Murcielago. 

--

Agree, I´m also a fun of Lambos.

The look and sound of a V10 Gallardo or V12 Murcielago is quite something. Last year a couple of friends get together with one 599, F430 and a Gallardo Spyder. They were parket next to each other and the Gallardo was the shinning star compared with the other two, absulately amazing look. Then, the three roll out, people were amazed by the engine noise of F430 and 599, but when the Gallardo nail it OMG, everybody was like Smiley

The LP-2 is the perfect exotic to have, only thing missing on the Lambo is a proper interior, in this regard Ferrari is superior, not that Ferrari is better made, it isn´t, but it looks way more sporty and unique.

J.Seven

I love everything about Lamborghini except for the long final gear ratio.

maliya65:

Hi everyone,

not knowing Ferrari owners personally, I'm turning to this forum to help me out.

We might buy  a 2004 CS we found down Florida, but we heard Ferraris are quite expensive to "maintain", if I can say it that way. We know there's "a price to pay", but we just want to know what to expect REALLY. The dealer obviously won't say it all, so again, I turn to you to make me see clear.

Thanks a lot,  I know your honesty will help!

(sorry my English s***s...it's been a while!LOL)

This interesting thread may answer some of your qustions.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/ferrari/232785-430-maintenance-costs.html

J.Seven

Thanks a lot guys.

Now, we met the guy of the red one close from our home and we learn a terrible news: it's salvage...The car looks great, no one could tell it's been hit...

What would you do? He asks $115,000, 9,400 miles, Rosso scuderia, no stripe.

Should we keep on looking? IMO we can find a "clean" one for not too much more money, like 160K...

If you're going to keep the car for a long time, get the salvaged car. It's priced right as long as it's been fixed properly. Is that car in Quebec?

maliya65:

Thanks a lot guys.

Now, we met the guy of the red one close from our home and we learn a terrible news: it's salvage...The car looks great, no one could tell it's been hit...

What would you do? He asks $115,000, 9,400 miles, Rosso scuderia, no stripe.

Should we keep on looking? IMO we can find a "clean" one for not too much more money, like 160K...

Stay away from it!! The 50K you gonna save is not worth the headaches and the frustration  you gonna get when problems start sneaking up on you. Also, the car will be very hard to resell.

The only reason to avoid a salvaged car would be resale. If it passes a PPI, who cares? Was it stolen or written off for damage? There's a story of one CS that ran over a large rock on the highway which caused some holes in the floor pan and it was considered a write off. The car was repair and is mechanically sound, but is now 40% less expensive than a non-storied car because of the salvage title.

I don't know what means "write off" but I can tell you that when I tried to see a Carfax report, the car is not "listed" anymore. To me it's a total "turn off". We will go to the dealer tomorrow, they just received one, don't know how much they'll ask for it, but it's clean for sure...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

You need your head examined if you buy that car. Any Ferrari four years or older will cost you a lot of money in repairs. The CS is a race car for road use and it is very temperamental. It requires high maintenance. Also, the price is ridiculously high.

The newer Ferrari's are much better regarding maintenance cost. You keep them for the warranty period and afterward you turn them in for someone to assume the inevitable repair cost.

That said, they are a blast to drive. Totally different experience from any other car. If your interest in pure performance/value, no doubt the 997 Turbo/TurboS are the way to go.  

--

nberry:

You need your head examined if you buy that car. Any Ferrari four years or older will cost you a lot of money in repairs. The CS is a race car for road use and it is very temperamental. It requires high maintenance. Also, the price is ridiculously high.

The newer Ferrari's are much better regarding maintenance cost. You keep them for the warranty period and afterward you turn them in for someone to assume the inevitable repair cost.

That said, they are a blast to drive. Totally different experience from any other car. If your interest in pure performance/value, no doubt the 997 Turbo/TurboS are the way to go.  

I was wondering where you've been the past 3 months Smiley

Well Said an welcome back Smiley

I agree with Joe, there's always a story behind the "salvage status" cars get it for the dumbest stuff.. The ONLY THING is resale value, but if you plan to hold on to it, starting out at 40% is a huge difference. I doubt it was ever a "write-off" more than 50% of value damaged or repair costs.. However, not finding it on carfax is worrying. Can you have the car fully inspected by a certified F mechanic and then base you decision on that?

Now if the mechanic gives you the green light for the red one, then go back to the owner, tell him it needs some work, and offer like $105,000. There is NO way you will ever spend 60K on repairs due to the fact that you had it checked out. It's below 10k miles, so do a full service and you're laughing! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Since you're also in Canada, i'll throw you our BC definition.

Salvage status - This status is given to a vehicle that has been written off in an accidental loss, but has the potential to be repaired or reconstructed. The vehicle must be repaired and inspected before it can be licensed or reinsured.

Please note: vehicle status alone does not fully describe a vehicle's mechanical condition or damage history.

Hope this helps

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Well, it's almost done now...We "met" THE ONE...well, let's hope so. Now, I need your help one more time:

Anyone of you can suggest shops/websites where we can buy Carbon parts, like airvents, paddles, etc.?

Thanks again!!

maliya65:

Well, it's almost done now...We "met" THE ONE...well, let's hope so. Now, I need your help one more time:

Anyone of you can suggest shops/websites where we can buy Carbon parts, like airvents, paddles, etc.?

Thanks again!!

And "the one" is?

J.Seven

JoeRockhead:

http://www.macarbon.com/

Nice stuff they have. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803482 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448631 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266210 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6662 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885868 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833486 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM