Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

J.Seven:

Congrats, looks great.

Your front/rear suspension looks way to high on the side pics, is that the plastic bits they put in the springs before deliver?

J.Seven

Yes, on the photos it has just been unloaded and the lower spoiler lip isn mounted yet.

also the transportation "plastic bits" in the suspension are still in.

If you look at the photos of the car in the dealers hall, it looks much lower.

John H:

Nick - what brand of tyres did yours come with?

John, my car came with Bridgestone, which is a problem because these are the worst tires out of the OEM fitted (Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone). The dealer didnt even want to trade them in, because nobody ever orderes these!

had to work out a deal with my Bridgestone being traded in for pirellis from another demo (standing in the hall, not driven) and the my winter tires will come from tequipment with rims, but the dealer will keep the rims and only charge me the tiresSmiley complicated scheme.

all in all it seemed to have worked out and really hope to pick up my car this friday, keeping fingers crossed!Smiley

Thanks Nick for the info - hope all goes well for Friday..

Are you sure Bridgestone are the worst choice?  I've never tried them...  I'm hoping for Michelins, which I've had on my present and last cars, but would be interested in any comparisons....any other opinions out there?

My car will be at the dealer early next week, but would you believe, they say it could take up to 10 days to sort out registering it with my private plate..

Will do all I can to short track this process... more to follow.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

@John H: I transferred a personal plate onto my car at first registration - it took 2 days. I did it at the local DVLA office itself so I find it very surprising that they claim it will take that long.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

My 2006 C4 came with Bridgestone Potenzas and I thought they were fine.  I know that 911 Turbos used to come with Bridgestones.  My 2011 came with Michelins.  My opinion - Bridgestones are good, Michelins more so.  No Pirelli experience with Porsches.

--
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Henry David Thoreau

I've had both Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone Potenza 050 for my 997.1 and 997.2. I actually like the Bridgestones better. Especially noticable in rainy conditions where I felt the Bridgestones outperform the Michelins. No signs of aquaplaning which I've felt with the PS2's several times even when new. In the dry I think they perform equal.

This is however not a scientific comparison and only based on feeling so take it for what it's worth. But saying that the Bridgestones are the worst tires is to overreact a bit in my opinion.

Many congrats on a fantastic car nevertheless. Love the GTS  Smiley

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, Bose, etc.

Sold: 997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Congrats - stunning looking car! 

I had Bridgestone on my 997.1 C4S. They worked perfectly well, even on track.  Then I put the Michelin on, and must say I like them better ( slightly more grip on the track, but a bit more noisy )

All in all, not a difference that will change your car too much..... unless it's a head thing

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I had Bridgestone on my 997.1 C4S. They worked perfectly well, even on track.  Then I put the Michelin on, and must say I like them better ( slightly more grip on the track, but a bit more noisy )

All in all, not a difference that will change your car too much..... unless it's a head thing

Thanks for the info. Did you notice any difference in the rain especially standing water?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Gnil:

Thanks for the info. Did you notice any difference in the rain especially standing water?

To be franc, I do not remember exactly.....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:

To be franc, I do not remember exactly.....

If you don't remember, I draw the conclusion that there wasn't significant, if any difference at all.

--

"Form follows function"

Do the Bridgestones last as long as the Michelins? I heard that the treadwear is supposedly less.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

New Michelin Super Sport tires to substute the PS2's

Michelin is coming up with new tires that will substitute the Michelin PS2's (my faborite tires due to their grip and handling) that are supposedly even better. Makes sense since its the newer version of the PS2.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-report/review-michelin-pilot-super-sport-tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=141

Info:

http://www.tirerackespanol.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall

mi_pilot_ss_ci2_l.jpg

Their thread pattern is similar to the Sport Cup, but deeper grooves and different compounds.

They will be available in May (at least here in Spain) in sizes from 18-23" and Porsche approved.

They seem to handle in wet even better than PS2 according to the tests posted above but if they just match them then I would be happy. Even the tyreadware has better rating than the MIchelin PS2.

My only question is how well they evacuate water with the new thread design. We get a fair bit of rain here in winter and I drive a lot of highway were aquaplanning is a big issue, because if the tires make me slow down too much because they don't do well in standing water then I'm not a happy camper. The PS2 used to do fairly well in this aspect.

Unfortunately the PS2's I have on now won't last till May I think  but maybe its usefull for you guys come spring.

--

Re: New Michelin Super Sport tires to substute the PS2's

Great info Carlos  Thanks v much  

--

It looks interesting.....but, looking at the thread pattern, I wonder also how they can be better, or even similar, to the PS 2 under the rain  ?  Then Michelin can not decently bring out a tyre that is less good then the previous one on water

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I subscribe to a neat blog named PorschePurist.  You may want to think about subscribing to it too, it's good and it's free.  Anyway, the fellow who does it just tested Michelin's new tire and here are his findings/thoughts:
    http://993c4s.com/porsche-products/tires-and-wheels/testing-michelin-super-sport-cup-dubai/

--
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Henry David Thoreau

Dasein:

I subscribe to a neat blog named PorschePurist.  You may want to think about subscribing to it too, it's good and it's free.  Anyway, the fellow who does it just tested Michelin's new tire and here are his findings/thoughts:
    http://993c4s.com/porsche-products/tires-and-wheels/testing-michelin-super-sport-cup-dubai/

Thanks DaseinSmiley Interesting, another review that also praises the Super SPort's wet performance, in this case beating the Continentals which are generally known as great wet tires (though IMO mediocre in dry).

Still I have the specific question about evacuation of water ability and resistance to aquaplanning with that thread design. One thing is to grip on a wet surface, and another to be able to channel standing water well. They seem to comment about the full wet ski pad performance, but I doubt the speed was enough to test aquaplanning and maybe it was just about grip on cornering Smiley

--

Heres another Review, and Bridgestone vs Michelin Thing has a whole Section on it: http://www.insideline.com/porsche/911/2011/2011-porsche-911-carrera-gts-full-test-and-video.html

Dasein:

I subscribe to a neat blog named PorschePurist.

Thanks, Dan! Smiley

Carlos from Spain: 

Still I have the specific question about evacuation of water ability and resistance to aquaplaning with that thread design. One thing is to grip on a wet surface, and another to be able to channel standing water well. They seem to comment about the full wet ski pad performance, but I doubt the speed was enough to test aquaplaning and maybe it was just about grip on cornering Smiley

Thus is a very good point and it's good that you make this distinction!

I had PS N-rated (not PS2) on a Boxster S in the past. These tyres were very good in the wet on secondary roads where there was no standing water but on the highway at places that held water they were dangerous. On occasions I had to leave the highway and follow country roads to my destination because the car felt like a boat. I changed to Pirelli Rosso with much better results but with other drawbacks in other areas.

The PS2 on my Carrera S are much better in this respect but still I'd like more confidence on standing water at speed. Some people say that the new Pirelli is better without losing anything in the dry. Any experience here?

--

"Form follows function"

Thats exactly what I was refering to. I'm afraid I don't have any experience nor knowledge of the Pirellis.
    --

Interesting read about the new Super Sports. Saw that they are available for purchase here in Sweden already or is that dealer a bit optimistic because it wouldn't make sense to launch them ealier in Sweden than on other markets if they are scheduled for april/may  

My main concerns with the PS2 N1 are when driving on the wet where I found the Brigestones to be much better. In the dry the PS2's are probably the best, but if you don't drive at the limit and use the car as a daily driver and when you live in a country where it rains now and then I might prefer the tires that would have the best handling conditions in the wet. Probably even more important on a 2S than on a 4S...

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

nick1:

all in all it seemed to have worked out and really hope to pick up my car this friday, keeping fingers crossed!Smiley

Nick - have you driven your car yet?

Mine is at the dealers - we went to the local DVLA office today to register it with my private plate.  They say it could take up to 7 working days..Smiley

So near....yet so far away!

--

I know what you feel, my M3 is standing here, waiting for homologation, procedure can take up to 3 months...

Three months Frank...that's dreadful!!!

--

John H:
    nick1:

Nick - have you driven your car yet?

Mine is at the dealers - we went to the local DVLA office today to register it with my private plate.  They say it could take up to 7 working days..Smiley

So near....yet so far away!

Nick must be busy out driving his car - let's hope so...!

My dealer sent me these photos of my GTS and, although he confesses he's no David Bailey with a camera, it's nice to see that it really exists..Smiley

I'll be going over to see it on Saturday and I'll take some more photos myself.

It looks as though the registration paperwork will be completed early next week so I'm hoping I'll be driving it very soon.

My GTS 1.jpg

My GTS 2.jpg

My GTS 3.jpg

My GTS 4.jpg

My GTS 5.jpg

My GTS 6.jpg

--

Very nice John!

You must be very excited. Long may you enjoy her.

Excellent John! Nice to see that the car is alive

Just curious... I see that you opted for leather center console and pdk-housing, but skipped the full leather options with leather on the dash and doors

Looking forward to see the pictures taken in full daylight!

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

WOW - looks gorgeous John H  I love your personalised number plate  Can't wait to see your own photos and read your impressions comparing it to your old 997.1 C2S  

--

Love the Plate - what a cool "Name" to put   - GTS in white is sooooo adorable !!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761010 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434547 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257229 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80796 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871452 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806673 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM