Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2011 F1 Pre-Season

Here's the provisional calendar for the 2011 F1 season

http://www.formula1.com/races/calendar_preview.html

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Re: 2011 F1 Season & Calendar

20 tracks, looks very promising. But let's not keep changing the number of tracks so much... Also i'd cap it at 20 tracks, otherwise running costs will be too high, and each race too insignificant.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Results from young drivers testing Abu Dhabi:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/rookie-test-ends-with-ricciardo-on-top/

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/11/11547.html

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/11/11553.html

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpgEasy RT Sig Pt 2.jpgEasy RT Sig Pt 3.jpg

Pirelli tyre test:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9210332.stm

--

RT Moderator 

Day 2 of the Pirelli tyre test:

www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/11/11560.html 

--

RT Moderator 

Oliver Turvey did well, promising...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Re: 2011 F1 Pre-Season

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/analysis-of-first-day-on-pirelli-f1-tyres-a-positive-start/

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/pirelli-signs-off-first-test-with-11000kms-on-the-clock/

--

RT Moderator 

<<To complicate the picture further, there is the chemical reaction which takes place when one manufacturers’ rubber mixes on the surface with another. This takes some time to work through.>>

Who knew? That's something that never would have occurred to me.

That's why I love Rennteam. You can learn a lot if you hang around here for a while.

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6515920/Rosberg-Pirelli-s-slower-degrade-faster

--

RT Moderator 

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/more-thoughts-on-pirellis-f1-debut/

Hopefully, with tyres that degrade faster, there will be more pit stops and more unpredictable racing - also with more scope for pit stop strategy.

--

RT Moderator 

Pedro De La Rosa is a very nice, decent and likeable guy but he is not good enough to cut it as a F1 race driver. He needs to realise that he is a capable test driver and that is where his strengths lie. Tyre testing for Pirelli is fine and hopefully he can get a test or reserve driver role somewhere. He just needs a reality check. Plus his age (36) is also inevitably a factor.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6522661/De-la-Rosa-isn-t-giving-up-on-F1

--

RT Moderator 

With Spain in economic trouble, it doesn't surprise me that Valencia wants to exit its F1 deal 2 years early. But Bernie Ecclestone is holding them to the contract - so the only way out for Valencia is to find another venue willing to stump up the cash. Not an easy task.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6524472/-Valencia-wants-out-of-F1-deal-

--

RT Moderator 

After denying that the decision to call Alonso into the pits at Abu Dhabi wasn't an error and then Domenicali finally admitting that it was, Ferrari has reshuffled its people dealing with pit lane strategy during the race.

As they say, actions speak louder than words...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9338316.stm

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/1/11618.html

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/01/ferrari-update-dyer-falls-on-sword-martin-head-of-strategy/

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/01/domenicali-starts-new-year-on-the-front-foot-major-change-at-ferrari/

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Here's my pre-season prediction for where I think the drivers will be at the end of 2011.

(Of course, testing hasn't even begun yet, we don't know yet how the Pirelli tyres will be and not all teams have announced their driver pairings yet so this is just a bit of fun!)

Competing right at the front for the Drivers' Title: Vettel, Alonso

Just behind the leaders: Hamilton, Webber

In the next chasing group: Button, Schumacher, Rosberg, Kubica

In the next chasing group: Barrichello, Massa

In the next chasing group: Kobayashi

In the next chasing group: Petrov

In the next chasing group: Trulli, Kovaleinen, Glock

In the next chasing group: the rookies (Maldonado, Perez, d'Ambrosio)

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Vettel won the title despite having much worse reliability than Webber. The Red Bulls' only weakness in 2010 were the slow starts from the grid (resulting in Vettel almost driving other cars off the track in an attempt to keep hold of P1 off the race grid). Otherwise the car was the best especially dominating qualification. I can't believe that Vettel will have another year of bad luck and unreliability. Regarding Webber though, I'm not sure he can repeat his consistency of 2010. He didn't suffer as much unreliability as Vettel and didn't have Vettel's raw pace in qualification. Plus, he didn't deliver when it really mattered in the last few races of 2010. Despite his greater consistency, calmness and maturity in 2010 than in previous years, I still think the Red Bull car flattered his talents.

Alonso 'owns' the Ferrari race team now. That whole team revolves around him. If you don't deliver Alonso titles you lose your job. Chris Dyer found that out today. Massa is a nice guy, loyal to Ferrari and he will carry out the role of 'helper' as and when Alonso pulls far enough ahead in the points table in 2011. He remains quick in dry conditions when all factors are to his liking. But he is a pale shadow of who he was because his confidence and self-belief are shaken but, most of all, he knows that the team is behind Alonso all the way. He is in a famous team that rewards loyalty in a great car earning a nice salary. He has a wife and family to feed. He will stay there as long as he can.

I still don't think McLaren can produce a car that will be as quick as a Red Bull car on all types of track. Too many times in 2010, Martin Whitmarsh kept saying that they had brought upgrades for a particular race and that he was confident that they might close the gap: all too often, those upgrades failed to deilver. I'm less inclined to believe him so easily. Hamilton and Button will occasionally be quickest but not IMO consistently enough to challenge for the title. Plus, Button is too slow in qualification and needs to be able to perform even when the car and/or other circumstances are sub-optimal. Hamilton needs to iron out silly mistakes. He needs to be more serious about winning and about how he lives his life in general.

Rosberg was superb in the 1st half of 2010 (he quietly let his performances do all the talking) but then his competitiveness fell away in the second half of the season. Schumi's season never got going. I hope Mercedes GP can improve their car but I see no evidence for believing this will happen. So both drivers are possibly going to struggle again in 2011. I still think Schumi is a spent force as a racer - the evidence for this is that even Rosberg who was himself in a new car in a new team could outqualify Schumi and outrace him in the same equipment. I think the reasons given for Schumi's underperformance by Ross Brawn (e.g. less grip and bite on the front end so that Schumi couldn't turn in late in the way he likes and that he couldn't adjust to the Bridgestones etc) just weren't persuasive to me when talking about a 7-time world champ. Schumi used to be able to win in undriveable conditions with cars that made his team mates look ordinary. Where is that Schumi now? He has gone soft and is diluting his legacy and aura by remaining in F1 even if he only came back just for fun. Personally, I don't believe that. Schumi is not the kind of guy who does things just for fun - he always drives to win. Even if he is just driving around a local go-kart track with friends.

I think Renault will improve in 2011 and Kubica will continue to outdrive the car getting results that the car strictly does not deserve. Petrov found his feet as a racer in Abu Dhabi keeping Alonso behind him for dozens of laps. No mistakes. That was a good effort. I hope he continues to improve but he still has a long way to go.

Barrichello has just become so inconsistent - sometimes quick, sometimes invisible. I see no reason for Williams improving even with a change of engine. Getting a pole position didn't save Hulkenberg his race seat. Poor Maldonado will need to hit the ground running since Sir Frank Williams is utterly ruthless having got rid of guys who had just won the world championship (like Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill & Jacques Villeneuve). He has no room for sentiment and will not pay a driver one penny more than he has to.

Kobayashi is a fighter but still too inconsistent to pose a real challenge over a long season. Needs to be much more consistent across a whole weekend in both practice, qualification and the race.

Force India spent 2010 treading water - Fisichella left the team after a 2nd place finish late in 2009 - and then the team achieved very little in 2010. Sutil is good and should be kept IMO. Liuzzi does not deserve his race seat and should be replaced IMO. Di Resta would be a good pick.

Toro Rosso achieved very little in 2010. Both Buemi and Alguersuari were inconsistent and made silly mistakes. I wonder who they will pick to lift them out of the prospect of another season in obscurity?

The whole sad story at Group Lotus and at Team Lotus/Lotus Racing is a mess. Tony Fernandes should have settled his dispute with Group Lotus months back. Delaying the outcome has meant that the 2011 season will be wasted. This dispute has been a monumental distraction for his team. Buying the rights to the Team Lotus name turned Colin Chapman's family against him. In April, Group Lotus may win its case and then it will continue sponsoring Renault or buy out the team. I expect Lotus Racing/Team Lotus will have to stop using the name. In the meantime, I see no reason why Trulli or Kovaleinen will achieve better results in 2011 than they did in 2010. A missed opportunity IMO.

Virgin Racing has drastically improved its CFD capability but one shouldn't get carried away. This was the team that built a fuel tank that was too small for the car to finish a race distance. If they can stay competitive with Lotus that will be perhaps the most they can manage. Glock is sound but not spectacular. His rookie team mate is an unknown.

Who will drive for HRT? Senna has the funding but lacks his uncle's talent. Chandok has more talent but lacks the funding. Can someone please tell me why this team is even in F1? They should be in GP2 or some lower formula - not in F1.

--

I believe it's a start from scratch due to the Pirelli's - read once a interesting article learning that sooo much is dependent of how the tires work with the chassis/aerodynamics - hence I believe there is a chance that we not necessarily see a continuation of the 2010 end top players but those who get the car work with the new tires best during the short testing period. However, still believe that Newey will create a top car - I am curious on the aerodynamic changes you can do during a lap.....

Although the tyres will be a significant factor - I don't think it's a start from scratch. Fundamentally, cars that generated heat in the tyres (particularly for a 3 lap qualification stint consisting of an out lap, hot lap and in lap) and cars that looked after the tyres better will continue to do the same in 2011. I think the main factor will be durability. The Pirellis will degrade much more quickly than the Bridgestones did. The main difference will be that drivers like Button who are easier on the tyres will get an advantage. Also, I expect more than 1 pit stop at every race with possibly 3 pit stops even. So there will be more possibility for pit stop strategy (hopefully).

The other big factor will be the adjustable rear wing. Let's see how much effect that has ...

Personally, I still expect to see Red Bull, Ferrari at the front with McLaren close behind.

--

That was a good read easy, thanks for the brief but precise analysis of the whole thing 

I wish it would be that "easy" - let's see - here is a part of the interview with Adrian

Looking forward to next year, we know you like regulations changes, but isn’t it the last thing a winning team wants to see?
    AN: “Not necessarily. The unfortunate thing about the changes coming in next year is that they are all restrictions. So, the double diffuser is banned, which once we’ve all got it, banning it removes an area of freedom. Then there’s the change to Pirelli tyres… we don’t know anything about them yet. It’s impossible to predict them so it’s impossible to design a car around them.”

Will you learn a great deal from this week’s first Pirelli tyre test?
    AN: “I hope we learn things next week, but in terms of the fundamental architecture of the car, that’s done. The lead times are such that you can’t now change the layouts.”

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 19: Sebastian Vettel in action during the Formula 1 Pirelli Tyre Testing at the Yas Marina Circuit on November 19, 2010 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by Andrew Hone/Getty Images)

Sebastian Vettel drives the Pirelli shod RB6

So, is everybody designing for 2011 with an element of caution? Will the fixed weight distribution of the cars compensate for the unknown characteristics of the tyres?
    AN: “The restriction in weight distribution, which I think is 45:55 ± one per cent is, I suppose, helpful in so much as it should be possible to design a car within that range and then if the Pirelli tyres demand one extreme or the other , we can got to that but not beyond it – which was the point of the regulation. But we don’t know which end of the spectrum that will be.”

How motivated are you to – very literally – go back to the drawing board. Is there anything left to prove?
    AN: “The motivations are there because I enjoy my job. The ambition when I joined Red Bull was initially to get the team to a point where it could take race wins; the dream was winning the Constructors’ Championship. Achieving that goal is very special – but it doesn’t change my day-to-day outlook. I enjoy working for Red Bull, it’s a good team to work for, we have a good atmosphere and I enjoy the design aspect of being involved. So, so long as I’m enjoying it, I’ll keep doing it.”

Thanks BjoernB  Interesting article.

Just a little observation - this interview was given before the Pirelli tyre test when the teams literally didn't know what to expect from the tyres. Now, they have done a 2 days test and they will have learnt something from it. Of course, the tyres will change further before the season starts. How much they will change is anybody's guess.

These guys are very experienced at giving interviews where they say the things that are OK to say to the public via the media. All general information that doesn't give anything valuable away

--

agree - mabye it's just me hoping a few things are stired up again in the next season and we see a lot of contenders for the crown. I just hope F1 gets a bit away from Playstation mode to more factors making a winner or not. To many times has a race ended pretty much as they qualified plus/minus. Driver should make a difference and if some can ruin a "agressive Pirelli" within a few laps but others know how to take care of it (or we have multiple pit stop strategies) etc - it would be a change in the right direction...

Plenty of political manoeuvring going on at the moment to secure one of the last few race seats ...

The grid so far:

http://www.planetf1.com/features/6639404/The-2011-grid...-so-far

Seems like Toro Rosso has kept both its drivers: Buemi and Alguersuari - why they have done this makes little sense to me. Neither driver did anything to deserve it. They were both all about testosterone rather than using their brains to learn from their mistakes.

The big story is that Force India still hasn't revealed the names of its 2 drivers. Sutil looks certain to stay - he performed far better than Liuzzi in 2010 and he comes with a nice amount of sponsorship money behind him. Liuzzi doesn't deserve to stay on merit. He merely has a binding contract. I guess the reason for the delay is that the Force India boss (Dr Vijay Malya, the beer and airline business tycoon) doesn't want to pay Liuzzi a fee for breaching that contract.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6631602/Force-India-rumour-mill-rumbles-on

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6636441/Liuzzi-insists-he-s-staying-put

The favourite for that other race seat is Paul di Resta. Hope he can live up to all the hype and expectation.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6622790/Stewart-wants-to-see-Di-Resta-on-grid

--

The most delicious story that I expect will impact F1 in 2012 or 2013 (depending upon how long Ferrari keeps Massa) is that Luca di Montezemolo is already on record as saying that he would like Vettel to drive for Ferrari one day and that it is really just a question of time as to when that will happen.

Like night follows day, the inevitable question is how Vettel and Alonso would get on as team mates.

Personally, I think it is a recipe for disaster.

Vettel found it very hard to get on with Webber even when he was given preferential treatment (e.g. getting Webber's front wing given to him after he had already trashed his own front wing). Even after colliding with Webber in Turkey, Vettel was making childish gestures (rotating his finger near his head to indicate Webber was crazy) when it was he who had attempted a rash overtaking move.

Similarly, Alonso will continue to like Massa for as long as Massa is happy to play the role of a support driver. When Alonso and Hamilton were team mates, Alonso kept Hamilton waiting behind him in the pit lane. Neither Vettel nor Alonso can be relied upon to behave correctly vis-a-vis their team mates.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6619404/Alonso-not-fazed-by-Vettel-partnership

--

Some other interesting stories I came across ...

Ross Brawn won't quit Mercedes GP - I wasn't aware anyone was calling for him to go!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6623120/Brawn-I-won-t-quit

The last thing that team needs is the instability and uncertainty of Brawn leaving.

Juan Pablo Montoya has no plans to return to F1. I can't think of anyone who has been calling for his return! Who is missing him?

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6622039/Montoya-I-m-not-coming-back

Rubens Barrichello expects Williams to be aggressive in 2011. Huh? Weren't they trying to be aggressive in 2010???

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6630169/Rubens-predicts-aggressive-Williams

Brawn expects Schumi to fare better in 2011. Frankly, it would be hard for Schumi to do worse this year!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6635723/Brawn-Schumi-Will-Get-Better

--

Will the BBC drop Jonathan Legard as a race commentator? I hope so. My ear drums still hurt from having to tolerate his screaming, unintelligent commentary where he gets so caught up in his own thoughts that he fails to keep up with the action on track.

Martin Brundle is obviously tired of not being able to get a word in edgeways.

http://www.planetf1.com/editorial/6606542/Who-s-The-Boss-At-BBC-F1-

--

What a joke - Narain Karthikeyan is to return to F1 at the age of 33 after a 5 year absence from racing in F1 - with HRT.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6639320/HRT-confirm-Karthikeyan-signing

Who is Kolles trying to fool? The deal to bring Karthikeyan back to F1 is all about attracting sponsorship money from India's TATA Group. Narain will be out of his depth IMO.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88824

--

What gives Rosberg confidence that he will win his first F1 race? What evidence is there to indicate that Mercedes can provide a car that will be faster than those of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and even Renault? At best this is just a statement of good intentions i.e. that he would like to win his first race and that he will do his best to make it happen. But being confident of being able to win races is speculation (at best) and fantasy (at worst).

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6639263/Rosberg-Confident-Of-First-Race-Win

--

Thanks Easy..... Lots of these pre season affirmations , comments, are just there to make some noise and keep a few journalist busy.  All your comments are spot on.

About Torro Rosso , I do not fully agree. Both drivers did immature mistakes , I agree fully with that, but mosts of there results were based on the team strategy, which often was on a bet and usually each driver was on a different one. It is as Torro Rosse tries to experiment and see what will happen. The drivers have not much to say. The team is also on a very low budget... just look how late they got the double diffusor. They do not get any help from RB and have to do their own development .

As of this, I find that both drivers did actually quite well.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Great read through this Easy. Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us updated, i really appreciate your comments and i certainly also agree with them. It's getting exciting now.

I hope Mercedes will do better and beat McLaren, that would be great. I bet Red Bull may lose their edge to the Ferrari, and im really hoping Force India, Williams can move up and take the occasional win! It's a far cry, but more winning teams would be better for the sport.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Gnil:

About Torro Rosso , I do not fully agree. Both drivers did immature mistakes , I agree fully with that, but mosts of there results were based on the team strategy, which often was on a bet and usually each driver was on a different one. It is as Torro Rosse tries to experiment and see what will happen. The drivers have not much to say. The team is also on a very low budget... just look how late they got the double diffusor. They do not get any help from RB and have to do their own development .

As of this, I find that both drivers did actually quite well.

@Gnil: I checked the performance of Toro Rosso and both drivers in the 2010 season and, on second thoughts, you were right. I was a little too tough on them. But I still think they were much too inconsistent and made far too many careless mistakes.

www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/01/a-personal-review-of-the-f1-year-toro-rosso/

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752819 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430462 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801662 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM