Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

According to Pistonheads, prices will be £168,500 or just over £1,000 less than a 458 (£169,545). The McLaren price also includes the 20% VAT for next year while the Italia is still only at 17.5% so expect the 458 price to go up.

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

According to Pistonheads, prices will be £168,500 or just over £1,000 less than a 458 (£169,545). The McLaren price also includes the 20% VAT for next year while the Italia is still only at 17.5% so expect the 458 price to go up.

This correct  - full option pricing was sent to deposit holders today

For Germany the rumoured price is 200.000 Euro flat (including VAT).

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Strange. I thought their strategy was to have lower price than 458. That´s what they claimed a while ago. In UK, it seems to be correct. But this rumoured german price is not.

Car is spectacular in person. I really really adore it. Very unique and the finishes are top notch. The options list is also the longest I've ever seen  

Mine will go into build March 2012 (estimated date).

A photo from the local launch a couple days ago.

Mike S:

Car is spectacular in person. I really really adore it. Very unique and the finishes are top notch. The options list is also the longest I've ever seen  

Mine will go into build March 2012 (estimated date).

A photo from the local launch a couple days ago.

IMO that car they are showcasing for the launching with the charcoal super-lightweight wheels is the perfect combo. I'm loving this car. Did you get to see any more colors or options Mike? any other details about the car in person you could share?

Rossi:

True. 200K € with Mwst.

Little bit too much if you ask me. Why? Ceramic brakes are option. I have MP4-12C price list and with decent options it is more expensive then Ferrari 458 Italia. It is also way more expensive then Mercedes SLS-AMG when equiped with similar options.

Despite my initial enthusiasm about MP4-12C I made probably wise decision-I will pass...

KresoF1:
    Rossi:

True. 200K € with Mwst.

Little bit too much if you ask me. Why? Ceramic brakes are option. I have MP4-12C price list and with decent options it is more expensive then Ferrari 458 Italia. It is also way more expensive then Mercedes SLS-AMG when equiped with similar options.

Despite my initial enthusiasm about MP4-12C I made probably wise decision-I will pass...

Once again I absolutely agree with Kreso. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:

True. 200K € with Mwst.

Once again I absolutely agree with Kreso. Smiley

Agreed  - having seen it a couple of times now it looks better in person than in pictures, but lacks the emotive presence of a 458 Italia. I will reserve final judgement until I get to drive it  - hopefully in March 2011. The carbon options make the Ferrari pricing look reasonable! A decent spec MP4-12C here in the UK will be around the £200K mark at least.

Mike S:

I´m sure it must look much better live, because from pics it looks like a facelift Ferrari 360 Smiley

J.Seven

Mike S:

The options list is also the longest I've ever seen  

You are right. The options list is scary long and full of some bloody expensive useless items!!

When will the media get a preview drive of the car.  I've not yet read a single driving impression of the car, despite the fact that customer deliveries start in 4 months.

I've been through the options list and to take the Mclaren to the same spec as the standard 458 (carbon breaks, full leather seats, car cover, carpet mats, Navtrak system) it is over £12,000 more than the Ferrari.

Another thing that won't help is the fact that Lamborghini are about to launch the LP550-2 here next month. It may be very "old tech" next to the Mclaren but with a manual gearbox it's going to cost £140,000. At that price it starts to look like something of a bargain.

ISUK:

I've been through the options list and to take the Mclaren to the same spec as the standard 458 (carbon breaks, full leather seats, car cover, carpet mats, Navtrak system) it is over £12,000 more than the Ferrari.

Another thing that won't help is the fact that Lamborghini are about to launch the LP550-2 here next month. It may be very "old tech" next to the Mclaren but with a manual gearbox it's going to cost £140,000. At that price it starts to look like something of a bargain.

Although i had a bad expreince with the Gallardo, i'll take it any day over this,

McLAREN AUTOMOTIVE ANNOUNCES MP4-12C PRICING FOR UK AND EUROPE

• McLaren MP4-12C priced at £168,500* and from €200,000 in EU
    • McLaren-designed one-piece carbon chassis (the carbon MonoCell) introduces new performance, safety, and weight standards to the ‘core' sports car segment
    • 'Pure' McLaren concept offers unique innovation and service to high-performance sports car buyers

WOKING, UK (24 November, 2010) - The McLaren MP4-12C, the first in a range of high-performance sports cars from McLaren Automotive, goes on sale in the UK and Europe in spring 2011 at a groundbreaking price for a carbon chassis-based car. At £168,500* in the UK, and from €200,000 in the EU, it will be the only car in its competitor set to:

• offer a carbon chassis (the MonoCell)
    • be conceived, designed and developed within a Formula 1 factory
    • offer the heady combination of 600PS, from a 3.8-litre engine producing less than 300g/km CO2 in a car with a dry weight of around 1300kgs

Antony Sheriff, Managing Director of McLaren Automotive said: "When we embarked on this challenge to design, develop, build, sell, and service the world's most exciting and high-quality high-performance sports cars - from a brand new factory at our Formula One headquarters - we knew expectations would be high. To deliver a true McLaren sports car, and, frankly, a reason to exist amongst great competition, it was clear we needed a unique concept that offered tangible advantages. With a unique carbon chassis as the foundation, and a powerful, but highly efficient McLaren engine at its heart, the 12C offers staggering value: no other carbon-based car can compete at this price-point, or with the 12C's technology and performance.

"Add to that a focus on ensuring that our customers will be offered spectacular care by a focused, financially strong global dealer network, and I believe we have launched a new type of car company, not just a new car. Announcing such competitive prices is a major step for us and another milestone achieved," Sheriff concluded.

The 12C's MonoCell introduces genuine innovation to the automotive industry and new performance standards below £200,000. It is ‘pure' McLaren, with all parts, from engine to switchgear, designed by McLaren.

12C prices in UK and European markets, inc. VAT:
    United Kingdom £168,500*
    Germany €200,000
    France/Monaco €201,000
    Italy €201,680
    Belgium €203,360

*RRP includes VAT at 20%: on-the-road price adds road fund licence (£950) and first registration fee (£55)

The 12C can be specified with a wide range of personalisation options, pricing for which will be confirmed at launch. There are 17 high-grade exterior paint finishes, including ‘McLaren Orange' - a solid hue that was made famous by the McLaren racing cars of the 1960s and ?70s.

A choice of 14 interior trims can be specified inside the cabin. Performance upgrades include a sports exhaust system, carbon ceramic brake discs, polished-finish callipers and two lightweight forged wheel options. The ‘standard' 12C features just one piece of carbon - the MonoCell - but carbon fibre options will include mirror casings, engine bay panels and engine cover.

McLaren continues carbon innovation; 30 years since McLaren MP4/1 introduced carbon monocoque to motor racing; carbon MonoCell contributes to performance, efficiency, cabin space and driveability

McLaren introduced a carbon monocoque to motorsport in the 1981 MP4/1 Formula 1 car. In 1993, the McLaren F1 debuted a carbon chassis on a road car. In 2009, the last of over 2,200 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLarens was produced at the McLaren Technology Centre (MTC); the best-selling carbon-based car ever. Now McLaren's expertise in working with this lightweight and strong material has led to the industrialisation of carbon chassis construction: where production of one McLaren F1 carbon chassis took thousands of man hours, each 12C MonoCell will be moulded in less than four hours. This step-change in manufacturing makes this technology available to sports car buyers in a new segment, and McLaren Automotive is committed to building all of its future cars around a carbon chassis.

The 12C is the first ‘pure McLaren' road car, with every one of its components designed specifically for the 12C. No compromise has been taken in developing the 12C. An intelligent design philosophy means performance is delivered in abundance, but not at the expense of efficiency: nearly 600 hp at less than 300 g/km CO2 are unprecedented statistics. The MonoCell also contributes to a spacious driver-focused interior that defies the 12C's compact exterior dimensions.

Designed, engineered, developed and manufactured by a team featuring extensive experience in McLaren's racing successes, up to 1,000 12Cs will be built in the car's first full year. A £40m manufacturing plant, the McLaren Production Centre (MPC), is currently under construction on a site adjacent to the MTC and will be fully operational by the middle of 2011. The future range of around 4,000 high-performance McLaren sports cars will all be built annually at MPC.

An initial network of 35 retailers with a passion for McLaren's plans, and a reputation for excellent customer service, will be appointed to represent McLaren across 19 countries worldwide. In the UK, McLaren will be represented initially in Birmingham, London, and Manchester, with details of all retailers on the McLaren Automotive website:

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/insider/archive/2010/11/09/RetailerContactDetails.aspx

***** McLaren MP4-12C GT3 racer spied *****

Customer MP4-12C racer being readied by McLaren and Brit team CRS Racing...

(25 November 2010)

The McLaren versus Ferrari battle is no longer the exclusive preserve of Formula 1! These are the first spy pictures of the firm’s new MP4-12C which is being developed into a GT3 racing car, ready to take the fight to Ferrari’s forthcoming 458 Italia GT3.

GT3 cars are closely related to their production counterparts, keeping costs relatively low and hence why this car is still road registered. The GT3 series is becoming more and more popular, as it’s relatively cheap to enter, with cars like Audi R8 LMS, Mercedes SLS and Porsche 911 GT3 R all being turned into competitive contenders. 

As you can see, the shape of the MP4-12C is still very much in evidence, but the front air intakes have been closed off, a large front splitter has been added along with a huge fixed rear spoiler.

Our spy snapper confirmed that the car was likely undergoing aerodynamics testing, as the team also tried out a set of oversized winglets to the front bumper. 

The McLaren is being developed in conjunction with McLaren by top British team CRS Racing, which is based in Leicestershire. CRS has a large amount of experience with GT3 cars, having run a Ferrari 430 Scuderia in recent years. Interestingly, the Ferrari was driven by McLaren MP4-12C chief test driver Chris Goodwin during the 2009 season. Goodwin used to race the McLaren F1 GTR earlier in his career.

McLaren-MP4-12C-GT3-racer_AutoExpress-article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Was that aerokit inspired by this.....  

GT4 4.JPG

koko:
    ISUK:

Although i had a bad expreince with the Gallardo, i'll take it any day over this,

Lambo to launch a LP550-2 !!! Shouldn´t this be a special serie of V.Balboni Smiley Anyway at that price it´s a good news .

Koko, could you share what problems did you had with your Galardo and what model you had? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Lambo to launch a LP550-2 !!! Shouldn´t this be a special serie of V.Balboni Smiley Anyway at that price it´s a good news .

The new 550-2 effectively is a Balboni edition but without the stripes, wheels and with a standard interior. By all accounts the manual version is the one to go for and at this price it does represent relatively good value IMHO. Apologies for going off topic.

ISUK:

Was that aerokit inspired by this.....  

GT4 4.JPG

No, Isuk rather it was inspired by Knight Rider K.I.T.T.'s  Super Pursuit Mode Smiley

I wonder if the private customer is David Hasselhoff?

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Yeah, the Super Pursuit Mode. I remember that feature, tiny little button in the centre console with quite an effect on K.I.T.T.

--

Some close up pics I took.

Despite some of the criticism. I still think it's a cracking car. The attention to detail was very refreshing to me.

The attention to detail and build quality on these cars will be flawless I've no doubt. I'm not sold on the styling personally though and after reading Frank Stephenson's comments that he arrived too late in the design of the car to have a major impact upon it I'm intrigued to see what the next models in the growing range will look like as he will have far greater input on them.

HI Mike,

did u take these pics in HK ? 

ISUK: I must admit, I didn't think the stying was very special in photos. The car in person though, does definitely leave more of an impression. Yes, pity about that. I look forward to what they will roll out in future. I'm planning to keep this for a year and then sell it off and wait for the GTR derivative.

TWS: Hi mate, no this was taken in S.Africa. 

HI Mike, 

thanks for the quick reply.   sounds u do not really like MP4-12C after u  saw it in person.   When will u get ur MP4-12C in HK ?   too bad there is no dealership  in Taiwan yet . 

Mike,

I saw the finished car at the Goodwood Festival of Speed back in July. To my eyes if it had been parked next to a Lotus Evora and had Lotus Esprit badging I could have seen the family resemblance. Unfortunately for Mclaren Lotus have come up with an altogether more modern looking design for "their" Esprit I had my name down on the list of early customers but decided not to go ahead after seeing it in person.

I'm sure it's going to get rave reviews about how great a drive it is etc but for me cars at this end of the market need to tug a little more on your heart strings and get the adrenaline flowing before you've even opened their door and climbed in. That's where this car falls short IMVHO. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of it once you get it though .... and also of the Aventador LP700-4, Pagani C9 etc etc Smiley

Best,

Iain

I've seen the car in flesh in Miami two weeks ago. Its not that bad than it appears as on the pictures but I still miss the specialty. My wife was with me and she didnt understand the hype around it. She would have taken the SLS in front of the tent 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803253 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448581 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266135 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90078 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6606 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885730 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833306 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM