Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster Spyder

PJ, you are considering the Spyder for your wife? I think we have to have a chat again, has been a while.

For Wayne & PJ´s wife:

Ferdie:

I think we have to have a chat again, has been a while.

Yes, good idea Ferdie Smiley Maybe during the easter holidays...?

Of course it's not me considering the Spyder for the wifey - she's considering for herself Smiley She felt in love with the Spyder when se saw the first one in real life. Though I recommended to get a demo car first in order to do a proper test (roof) before making decisions...

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

Yes, good idea Ferdie Smiley Maybe during the easter holidays...?

Would love to meet up! Might be on vacation around Easter, will send you a note! Smiley

Didn´t expect her to appreciate such a car but she would definitely be the star on her commute to work. Smiley

Thanks for the videos Ferdie.  Call me bias, but I think the car looks stunning!

I have to admit that the styling is growing on me although so far, I´d order in a dark colour such as black. Aqua blue or PJ´s consideration of Riviera Blue, if possible through custom order, would be an interesting alternative as well.

from Sniff Petrol

SPAD_PorscheBoxsterSpyder.jpg

Atzporsche:
    I think it's absolutely stunning from all angles. In whtie it's probably perfect, but this red is doing great things. Porsche being a sports car brand, I am happy to see more "pure" models in the range. Top shelf Smiley

Yes, looks good in red but there is nothing "pure" about the Boxster Spyder. Smiley

Oh wait...pure...money eater. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I actually like the Boxter Spyder, but then writing this comment i realized i was going to shorten the name by writing "i like the BS" and then it kindda made sense. 

Enmanuel:

I actually like the Boxter Spyder, but then writing this comment i realized i was going to shorten the name by writing "i like the BS" and then it kindda made sense. 

Smiley

WAY:
    Enmanuel:

Smiley

Nah I'm jusk kidding WAY, It's just a car that you either really like or really don't. imho it looks great but i wouldn't go for it. but you go ahead and enjoy yours. Smiley

RC:
    Atzporsche:
    I think it's absolutely stunning from all angles. In whtie it's probably perfect, but this red is doing great things. Porsche being a sports car brand, I am happy to see more "pure" models in the range. Top shelf Smiley

Yes, looks good in red but there is nothing "pure" about the Boxster Spyder. Smiley

Oh wait...pure...money eater. Smiley

I agree with you RC, regarding looks the Spyder is no more than a pimped Boxster. Today I saw one  next to a Boxster S side by side...S looked way much better and cleaner than the Spyder.

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Today I saw one  next to a Boxster S side by side...S looked way much better and cleaner than the Spyder.

J.Seven

Smiley

Yes, I don't like the Spyder that much too.
    As shown in the "add":
    Less car for more money.
    In Europe y'll prefer the Boxter S due to the weather conditions

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (Jun 10) *  BMW X5 M

The Spyder is not stupendously more expensive over the regular Boxster, much unlike the 997 Sport Classic for example. For European weather not necessarily the right choice albeit I like its more focussed concept and setup.

I agree that most of Europe isn't the place for this car.  But it actually isn't as expensive as many people think.  It comes standard with 19 inch forged wheels, LSD, Cayman S engine, and the super expensive carbon fibre sports bucket seat.  Add all those things in the Boxster S and it actually cost more.

Indeed, I don't find it expensive compared to the Boxster S. This is what you get:

• Upgraded suspension with stiffer springs. The spring rates are increased by 10 percent in front and 30 percent in the rear. The suspension is 20 mm lower than the standard Boxster suspension and 10 mm lower than the Boxster PASM suspension.
    • Upgraded fixed-rate shock absorbers with an additional rebound stop-spring.
    • Upgraded anti-roll bars on front and rear axle.
    • Light 19-inch wheels (<10 kg each).
    • Mechanical limited-slip differential. The locking values are 22 per cent under power and 27 per cent in overrun.
    • Aluminum doors.
    • Sport bucket seats.
    • Upgraded engine with additional 10 HP. Compared to the Boxster S the engine has a different crankcase, different engine mounts, a different oil pump, different intake manifolds and a more sophisticated direct fuel injection system.

The few tests and reviews I have read all had a similar story line, starting with "oh, another marketing gimmick from Porsche" and ending with "this is the 2nd best car from Porsche after the GT3". Earlier this year GT Porsche had a very interesting article from their first test drive of the Boxster Spyder. They loved it.

As soon as I can get my hands on one I will book a test drive 

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

I agree that it offers quite a bit more for the money.  If it had a sensible roof I'd be interested myself.

Bluelines:

Sounds a bit dubious to me.

• Light 19-inch wheels (<10 kg each).

Have you seen an actual weight somewhere?  All I've read is 'the lightest wheel Porsche currently supply' or something along those lines.  If indeed they're that light, they could be a good buy on their own.  I like the way they look, too.

As soon as I can get my hands on one I will book a test drive 

I'm sure one'll turn up in Cham soon ;)

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

I agree that it offers quite a bit more for the money.  If it had a sensible roof I'd be interested myself.

Bluelines:

Sounds a bit dubious to me.

I made that sentence up to show off. Makes no sense, but sounds pretty cool heh? Smiley No seriously, there is an interview with the chief engineer for the Boxster Spyder suspension where he explains what it means (let me dig it out).

Let's plan a trip to Cham soon Smiley 

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

DaveGordon:

Have you seen an actual weight somewhere?  All I've read is 'the lightest wheel Porsche currently supply' or something along those lines.  If indeed they're that light, they could be a good buy on their own.  I like the way they look, too.

The official PCNA full length press release mentions 39 kg for the set of four wheels.

That would mean ca. 9.2 kg for a front wheel and ca. 10.3 kg for a rear wheel given the dimensions Smiley

--

Here are more details on the suspension and the dubious rebound stop-springs  Quoted from the full length press release.

"The new, specially developed sports suspension is one of the reasons for the exceptional performance the Boxster Spyder has to offer. In its layout and configuration, the sports suspension follows racing principles, one obvious change being that the new top model in the range is about 0.8 inch or 20 mm lower than the Boxster S.

This lower position of the body inevitably comes with shorter and stiffer springs as well as modified anti-roll bars both front and rear. Another special feature is the dampers with their harder setting.

Yet a further important point is that the wheel track of the Spyder is 0.16 inch or 4 mm wider at the front and 0.32 inch or 8 mm at the rear, thanks to wheels with modified pressure depth. Additionally, extremely low wheel weight reduces unsprung masses also helps to improve the car’s driving precision.

This specific layout and configuration of the suspension, in conjunction with almost perfect 50:50 axle load distribution and the position of the car’s occupants as well as the engine between the axles, ensures a very dynamic driving experience in the Boxster Spyder combined with superior driving stability and a high level of lateral acceleration. In practice, therefore, the Spyder is even more agile and precise in its steering qualities than the other models in the Boxster range, with virtually no body roll or dive. At the same time the relatively long wheelbase of the car serves to add further stability when driving in a straight line.

The front suspension is made up of a spring strut axle incorporating longitudinal and track control arms, a configuration ensuring very precise wheel guidance and a high standard of roll comfort all in one. Additional rebound stop springs in the dampers reduce the roll angle, keeping the Boxster Spyder even more stable under high lateral acceleration."

--

The front suspension is made up of a spring strut axle incorporating longitudinal and track control arms, a configuration ensuring very precise wheel guidance and a high standard of roll comfort all in one. Additional rebound stop springs in the dampers reduce the roll angle, keeping the Boxster Spyder even more stable under high lateral acceleration."

heh, with some context I guess it makes sense.  Sounds like the aim is equivalent to  a progressive-rate anti-roll bar...

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

Saw one last night and it's pretty nice.

Interesting review. I think he likes it ;)

http://jalopnik.com/5549796/2011-porsche-boxster-spyder-first-drive

--

Slow In, Fast Out

The Boxster Spyder won Car and Driver's seven car handling comparison test:

www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/the_best-handling_car_in_america_for_less_than_100_000-comparison_tests/2011_porsc...

I love my Boxster.  It makes me smile every time I drive it.  I also have a very hard time driving it slow.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755273 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431578 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258870 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255906 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79896 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868937 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802973 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM