Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

my own take is that Porsche will introduce whatever 4c engine (if any) on boxster or cayman but not the 911. 911s are really for the diehard Porsche fans who understand the steep heritage of the iconic 3 numbers. To put a 4C engine (when everyone else is maintaining or enhancing capacity into their sportscars - 458, new bentley, new aston, california, maserati, r8, lpXXX, etc)  into 911 will destroy what Porsche builds overnight.

The only exception would be a superior hybrid drivetrain ala Spyder 912, to accompany a lower C engine. But hybrids for what I know are still expensive tech now. *check out the price they are charging for the Lithium batteries for the RS*.

But, seriously Porsche should just at the minimum evolve its 3.6/3.8/4.0 engines and not go below 3.0.

--

997.2 PDK C2S

997.1 Tip C2S

14 cars, 2 boats and counting...

Well perhaps the range will include the GTS from the beginning

Carrera 3.0L 4C

Carrera S 3.4L 6C

Carrera GTS 3.6L 6C

GT3 3.8L  6C

GT3 RS 4.0L 6C

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

A 3.4L or even 3.0L 4 cylinder would not make sense, that is 6 cylinder displacement territory and they already have a spanking new DFI engine with that size. If its a 4 cylinder it would have to be a 2.5L tops to be efficient, with turbocharging to reach the needed HP figures.

Also I would love for them to offer a GTS version right at the start, that would be the idela car for me, but knowing Porsche, they will leave that again for the end of the production life of the 991 to maintain sales at that stage. And if the do offer it sooner, it will carry a premium then, which will render it the same deal as a equally optioned CarreraS. Its one or the other.

--

I could easily take the Cayenne, then the Cayenne Diesel was a natural smart move, the Panamera...well ok, an entry level model below Boxster I´ll take it too, but with some hard pain...now a 4C 911 is something beyond real, and totally BS, Porsche would never make it, it would be the Crime of the Century in car industry. I don´t even understand why so many Rennteam long term posters who know Porsche for years are taking this rumor siriously Smiley

J.Seven

Carlos from Spain:

A 3.4L or even 3.0L 4 cylinder would not make sense, that is 6 cylinder displacement territory and they already have a spanking new DFI engine with that size. If its a 4 cylinder it would have to be a 2.5L tops to be efficient, with turbocharging to reach the needed HP figures.

Also I would love for them to offer a GTS version right at the start, that would be the idela car for me, but knowing Porsche, they will leave that again for the end of the production life of the 991 to maintain sales at that stage. And if the do offer it sooner, it will carry a premium then, which will render it the same deal as a equally optioned CarreraS. Its one or the other.

Yap, a 4C larger than 3.0L is quite rough.

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

The only applications I can think of in today's cars are only in diesel engines like in 4x4's for that reason.

--

Remember this is no longer Porsche but VW. Look at their line of engines. The best part is that the CO2 theories have all been debunked including the hockey stick chart. It's more to control of the people and force you to drive these new crappy engines.

Monster:
    Carlos from Spain:

Yap, a 4C larger than 3.0L is quite rough.

funny you should say that but porsche has extensive history with the 3.0L 4C from the 968.
    That engine with a turbo performed much like a 6C many many years ago. Even the 2.5L turbo (951) feels like a 6C! and that's 20 years old technology. Imagine a new interpretation of this engine.... could easily work guess Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

going down to 4 cilinders in a sportscar is never an improvement,not from the "driver's" point of view (as oppose to the manufacturer or tree huging law maker), and neither having to turbocharge an engine in a true sportcar when its to achieve the same horsepower.
    --

i dont want a lancer evo in a 911 bodyshell !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Cram talking about his new Cayenne S, I quote: "inside space= less usefull then the CT and really not much space to leave sun glasses etc.... the plane board take to much space. but i'm sure i'll get use to it."

Exactly what I am afraid that will happen in the 991...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

Cram talking about his new Cayenne S, I quote: "inside space= less usefull then the CT and really not much space to leave sun glasses etc.... the plane board take to much space. but i'm sure i'll get use to it."

People consider Cayennes true Porsches now. In my VERY strong opinion, a front-engined, 5-door , 2-tonne truck with a Porsche badge is an abomination to the Porsche brand wayyy more than a turbo 4-cyl 911.

Ten years ago people would sneer and spit on the thought of a Porsche SUV. Now they go to Porsche showrooms and have a test drive in a Cayenne at the very least. More people buy Cayennes and Panameras than 911s. I guess the same thing would happen all over again in even fewer years' time when 4 cyl 911s are commonplace.

But whenever one thinks of cursing a 4 cyl 911, I only have one question for them : how about the tank with the Porsche badge which can bring all the family dogs in its trunk ? I personally think any Porsche taller than 1.4 meter is not a real Porsche, but people always find a way to justify : "Well, it has the horsepower...plus the kids love it." The days of selling your kids to buy your dream Porsche are long behind us.. Smiley

This post is meant as a joke. Don't take it too seriously but there's a point there somewhere. Smiley

shin:

Ten years ago people would sneer and spit on the thought of a Porsche SUV. [...]

This post is meant as a joke. Don't take it too seriously but there's a point there somewhere. Smiley

Smiley

Pentium:

+1 , I do not think this big and high center console is a good idea in an 911. The car is already small, and that will take away more side space,leg space, elbow space...

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Not sure if this is a re-post....apologies if it is.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I just realized that 911 price will get higher... Boxster and Cayman also... so the new entry level Porsche could exists.... Also why not? Because the Ferrari prices are higher too.... 911 should follow....

Damn! I wish I could have enough money to order a GTS right away and keep it for a LONG time....

Anyone wanna change a Scuderia for a full spec GTS? Smiley

Not sure that is a smart move though...

--

You're joking right ? Why on earth would you trade in a F430 Scuderia for a Porsche 911 ? Smiley

Aaa, acum vad ca esti din Romania, tara cu cele mai varza drumuri din europa...:D Dar chiar si asa, tot nu se merita schimbul respectiv. Mai degraba vinzi 430-ul (scoti 120000 lejer pe el, asta daca nu cumva e bulit), si-ti iei 998 nou-nout cand apare. 

Apropo, din ce oras esti ? 

mariusv:

You're joking right ? Why on earth would you trade in a F430 Scuderia for a Porsche 911 ? Smiley

Aaa, acum vad ca esti din Romania, tara cu cele mai varza drumuri din europa...:D Dar chiar si asa, tot nu se merita schimbul respectiv. Mai degraba vinzi 430-ul (scoti 120000 lejer pe el, asta daca nu cumva e bulit), si-ti iei 998 nou-nout cand apare. 

Apropo, din ce oras esti ? 

Welcome to Rennteam mariusv. You are welcome to use which ever language you want via PM, but when writting in this section, please use in english.

--

Thanks, ok, I'll do that next time.

I am thinking the new 991 will have panoramic roof. If you look at the Genetic Engineering clip on Porsche site, under the 10kg weight savings section, it mentions something like a panoramic roof. Spy shots also reveal a roof with a placeholder for a panoramic glass top.

--

997.2 PDK C2S

997.1 Tip C2S

14 cars, 2 boats and counting...

Because Marius, I rather drive each day a GTS than just from time to time and only in summer the Scuderia. That's how I am. I did that for more than 4 years and 90.000km with my 997, 2004 to 2008 (yes, ALL day, all seasons including going to sky and the roads were even worse back than compared with today) and simply put: I miss that experience. Answering your question: I am from Bucharest. You?

--

Hmm, good answer, I like it :) I mean, it makes sense. But, if you were able to afford a brand new scuderia (which is 200000 euros new), I suppose you should be able to afford a second sports car for daily use (a used carrera S facelift is around 65000) while keeping the scud for occasional use only...that's what I would do anyway :D

I am from an insignifiant town called Galati :)

mariusv:

Hmm, good answer, I like it :) I mean, it makes sense. But, if you were able to afford a brand new scuderia (which is 200000 euros new), I suppose you should be able to afford a second sports car for daily use (a used carrera S facelift is around 65000) while keeping the scud for occasional use only...that's what I would do anyway :D

I am from an insignifiant town called Galati :)

Maybe he doesn't like to keep cars just to have them parked and rarely used, which is a good choice, I'd rather have one I can drive every day, than a garage queen Smiley

Strangely as it may seem to you given what happens in Romania I am working hard for my money; they don't fall from the sky. I am not daddy's boy (quite the opposite, I bought them a house and cars) and I also have NO connection with political parties or our country's local  economics. Owning both a 911 and a Scuderia would mean stretching my resources too thin and I would perceive it anyway as a waste... which I don't like... (which by the way was the case for a while until I sold the 911). Also that experience made me feel like cheating on my girlfriend all the time Smiley When using the 911 I was thinking at Scuderia and the other way around. Well... I guess I rather have one good girl than many... different ones Smiley

PS Why insignificant town? Come on! Also the price you mention is way too low for a 2008 brand new one. Perhaps without any option. Just to give you an idea, if I remember correctly, only the painted stripes (the livery) was 10.000 euros....

--

I apologize to fellowships rennteamers for getting a little bit off topic but it's rare to meet a Romanian around here... Smiley

--

Please Pentium, no apologies, this is what makes Rennteam so unique and interesting.

--

Slow In, Fast Out

"Love is in the air"  ....... It's a song...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

... every time I look around... :)

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Are we looking at the replacing "Dancing with the Stars" with Dancing with the Rennteam..

--
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

Smiley nooooooooo Smiley no loveSmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782349 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442969 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86059 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6047 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881745 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820074 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM