Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Easy Rider in Bruges & Knokke: my car's 4th birthday (*inc pics*)

If you would like to go straight to the photo diary of my trip to Bruges and Knokke in Belgium, please click on the link below:

Link to photo diary of my trip to Bruges & Knokke.html

10th Nov 2010 is nearly here - my car's 4th anniversary Smiley I can't believe it's been 4 years already since I collected my car from the factory in Zuffenhausen Smiley I love my car just as much as ever Smiley

It's been a very enjoyable year of driving and travelling Smiley Smiley Smiley

Soon, my car will have its 4th year major service & brake fluid change - once again, I will be going to OPC Knokke-Heist in Belgium for this (since it's considerably cheaper there). My wife and I will combine this with a weekend in Bruges Smiley

I will also be extending the Porsche warranty (inc Porsche Assistance) for another 2 years at a cost of £2306.50 (inc a 111 point check and VAT).

Other costs coming up include the MOT test (£48), Road Tax renewal (£435), PVTS Cobra subscription renewal (£204) so it's an expensive few months but very reasonable overall over a 2 year basis.

Total engine oil consumption has remained very low at 1700 ml over 20240 miles (which is 0.08399 ml/mile) since I collected the car from the factory.

My car also had new tyres fitted earlier this year:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20172322/Re_Multiple_punctures/page1.html#p20172322

Unfortunately, my car suffered a faulty water pump and sunroof recently just after I completed 20000 miles but these were easily repaired under warranty (I'm so glad I extended it 2 years ago!):

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20179307/20000_happy_miles_but_the_water_pump__sunroof_just_went_faulty/page1.html

In the meantime, I have been enjoying the Short Shifter that I had fitted to my car last October:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20127344/Fitting_a_short_shifter/page1.html

I've enjoyed some fun driving trips over the past year:

- My first trip to the Nordschleife (plus Brussels):

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20161591/Re_Visits_to_Nrburgring_Nordschleife__Brussels_13_May/page1.html#p20161591

- PSDS Track Day at Hockenheim (plus Heidelberg Luxembourg):

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20165649/Re_PSDS_Track_Day_in_Hockenheim__visits_to_Heidelberg__Luxembourg_1517_May/page1.html#p20165649

- Another Nordschleife visit:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20174993/Re_Nrburgring_Nordschleife_Aug_78_Wanna_join_us/page1.html#p20174993

Other Porsche and Rennteam related events included:

- Attending the Rennteam Staff Meeting in Stuttgart:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20178319/Rennteam_Staff_Meeting_in_Stuttgart_46_Sept_2010/page1.html

- Visiting the Porsche Museum and Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20178744/Easy__MercedesBenz__Porsche_Museums_Stuttgart_45_Sept_with_pics/page1.html

My wife and I were also lucky enough to go on vacation to Singapore, Australia Hong Kong (photo thread coming later), Athens, Malaysia, Vienna and Budapest plus we also have a trip to Thailand coming up in November Smiley

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20149142/Re_Visit_to_Athens_2528_Feb_Wanna_meet_up/page1.html#p20149142

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20183792/Easy_Riders_Visit_to_Malaysia_18_Jun__4_Jul/page1.html#p20183792

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20177832/Re_Visit_to_Vienna_2023_Aug/page1.html#p20177832

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20180884/Re_Easy_Riders_Visit_to_Budapest_1821_Sept/page1.html#p20180884

So, overall, it's been a really fun year Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Hope you've enjoyed the photos I've posted from my trips Smiley

Some useful GPS coordinates for my trip to Bruges and Knokke-Heist:

BP Dover (fuel): 1° 18' 26" E, 51° 07' 04" N
    Port of Dover (ferry): 1° 19' 38" E, 51° 07' 35" N
    - Bruges (car park): 3° 13' 4" E, 51° 12' 18" N
    Sint-Andries (B&B): 3° 9' 57" E, 51° 11' 50" N
    Ramskapelle (hotel): 3° 15' 58" E, 51° 19' 37" N
    OPC Knokke: 3° 17' 35" E, 51° 19' 50" N
    Port of Calais (ferry): 1° 52' 11" E, 50° 58' 00" N

Links to some earlier threads about my car:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/290478/Easy_Riders_Factory_Collection_Trip__Nov_2006/page1.html

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/395803/1_year_has_passed_since_I_got_my_997_C2S/page1.html

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/476256/997_C2S_2nd_birthday_10th_Nov_08/page1.html

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20131276/Its_been_3_years_since_I_collected_my_9971_C2S/page1.html

Cheers,
    Easy Smiley 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Re: 4 years since I got my 997.1 C2S

wow, you have been busy!! SmileySmiley 

--

Excellent, the way to do it !

--
    The first South American modded reptile ~ 350HP - 4.4 sec 0/60 and 12.7 sec 1/4 mile - w/LSD

A life any 911 would be proud to have. you have really put the car to great use and taken great care of it. congrats and amazing post easy 

Great to see how much you cherish your 911 . It still looks like brand new 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

You are a true Porsche enthusiast. I cannot wait to be able to return the favor by sharing my passion with you guys. It's still a couple of years away, but i cannot wait!

As always, I love your details and extensive travel reports not to mention the amazing photography. It is much appreciated

As for the car, i love that you put it to use, and i think very wise to have gone this warranty route. There's so many more years of pleasure. Please post some anniversary pictures in autumn London

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

Please post some anniversary pictures in autumn London

Thanks so much guys Smiley I try to share what I can for other people's benefit and pleasure.

@Atzporsche: haha Smiley It's 22C and sunny here - an Indian Summer - so a little while to go (hopefully) before Autumn really sets in Smiley The next car photos that I post will probably be from my weekend trip to Bruges with a major service at OPC Knokke-Heist in Belgium Smiley Hope you will enjoy those Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Congratulations!

I like it when people keep their cars for longer, like you do, although they could afford a new toy every year or so. This indicates a true enthusiast and someone who likes to bond with his car

--

"Form follows function"

easy_rider911:

Soon, my car will have its 4th year major service & brake fluid change - once again, I will be going to OPC Knokke-Heist in Belgium for this (since it's considerably cheaper there). My wife and I will combine this with a weekend in Bruges Smiley

I will also be extending the Porsche warranty (inc Porsche Assistance) for another 2 years at a cost of £2306.50 (inc a 111 point check and VAT).

Happy anniversary Easy...don't time fly..! Smiley

Just one query - is it still so much cheaper over there considering the current rate of exchange? 

BTW - the price you've quoted for an extended warranty is the same as over here (£2306.50)

Also, as you're having the major service, which includes all the usual checks, you shouldn't be expected to pay a further £180 +VAT for the 111 point check as well.

I queried this with my OPC as my car received a clean bill of health after a recent major service.  They said they would waive the 111 point charge..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    easy_rider911:

Happy anniversary Easy...don't time fly..! Smiley

Just one query - is it still so much cheaper over there considering the current rate of exchange? 

BTW - the price you've quoted for an extended warranty is the same as over here (£2306.50)

Also, as you're having the major service, which includes all the usual checks, you shouldn't be expected to pay a further £180 +VAT for the 111 point check as well.

I queried this with my OPC as my car received a clean bill of health after a recent major service.  They said they would waive the 111 point charge..Smiley

--

Just for your information, I did a one year extended warranty yesterday and I paid CHF 1860.00 ( two years is exactly the double )  +  CHF 150.00 for the 111 points 

At today's rate it make £ 1210.00

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks John

Slight misunderstanding here - my 2 year warranty extension is being done by an OPC in the UK - that's why the price is exactly the same as that quoted to you (£2306.50 inc the 111 point check and VAT). From my enquiries, the UK is still the cheapest place to get this done.

However, I am getting the 4 year service done in Belgium. It is much cheaper there - even after converting from Euros to Pounds sterling. In the UK, I was quoted around £1150 whereas I am paying around 910 Euros (£790) in Belgium. The price difference more than pays for my weekend break in Bruges!

Sorry for any confusion - hope that clarifies the situation

--

Gnil:

I did a one year extended warranty yesterday and I paid CHF 1860.00 ( two years is exactly the double )  +  CHF 150.00 for the 111 points  

So in Switzerland the 2 year warranty extension is CHF3720 + CHF150 = CHF3870 = £2524.30. It's £2306.50 here in the UK.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:
    Gnil:

I did a one year extended warranty yesterday and I paid CHF 1860.00 ( two years is exactly the double )  +  CHF 150.00 for the 111 points  

So in Switzerland the 2 year warranty extension is CHF3720 + CHF150 = CHF3870 = £2524.30. It's £2306.50 here in the UK.

Exactly.  We are always more expensive then any other countries . My OPC told me this is becoming a problem for him , as far too many cars are now bought outside Switzerland .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

@Gnil: why don't you just get it from a dealer in France? I assume it is much cheaper for you in Euros.

I realise that the relationship matters for you so that you have a local dealer nearby in case of breakdown, repairs etc and by giving him your custom, you are keeping him in business (effectively subsidising him) BUT unless you vote with your wallet, the dealer will never get the message to stop overcharging you. Trust me, when demand falls, price reductions become inevitable Smiley We are too kind to these guys sometimes - they take advantage of our desire for convenience - so they don't think twice about charging us as much as they can get away with.

In my view, the best way to do it is to get the warranty from the cheapest place you reasonably can (since you are paying for that) and then to get any repairs done under warranty (at Porsche's cost) at the local dealership for maximum convenience - which also achieves the aim of keeping the local dealer in business without you paying for their higher prices. That's how I do it Smiley

--

If I understood well it's a £200 annual difference? I wouldn't bother at all if I were happy with the service and attention throughout the year from my local dealer with whom I have built up a relationship. It's only the cost of meal or a night's stay at a normal hotel and a negligible % of someone's income!

--

"Form follows function"

That's fine - it's your choice if you are happy to pay more for exactly the same warranty.

However, this one situation isn't in isolation - all the overcharging adds up over the years of ownership of the car to a more significant amount.

If I were based in Cyprus like you, I would think the same way as you since I assume that the inconvenience of taking my car to another country would probably be not worth the price difference. However, in other parts of the EU, it can be a short drive to another country where the inconvenience is small and the benefits become more apparent.

In my case, my wife and I wanted to have a weekend in Bruges anyway so it was easy to schedule the trip around the same time as when the car needs to be serviced. So I just added a half day for getting the 4 year service done at the end of the trip which more than pays for the weekend break  (The difference in price between the UK and Belgium for the 4 year service is around £360 and the drive from Bruges to Knokke-Heist is only around 20 minutes). In my case, it was a no-brainer.

--

easy_rider911:

@Gnil: why don't you just get it from a dealer in France? I assume it is much cheaper for you in Euros.

I realise that the relationship matters for you so that you have a local dealer nearby in case of breakdown, repairs etc and by giving him your custom, you are keeping him in business (effectively subsidising him) BUT unless you vote with your wallet, the dealer will never get the message to stop overcharging you. Trust me, when demand falls, price reductions become inevitable Smiley We are too kind to these guys sometimes - they take advantage of our desire for convenience - so they don't think twice about charging us as much as they can get away with.

In my view, the best way to do it is to get the warranty from the cheapest place you reasonably can (since you are paying for that) and then to get any repairs done under warranty (at Porsche's cost) at the local dealership for maximum convenience - which also achieves the aim of keeping the local dealer in business without you paying for their higher prices. That's how I do it Smiley

To be fair to the Swiss dealers, this price discrepancy probably has a lot more to do with exchange rate movements than it does with "overcharging" in the Swiss market.
    The Swiss Frank has increased in value against most other currencies including the EUR, GBP and USD during the last year, so if policy costs had been at parity a year ago they would now automatically have "increased" in Switzerland by comparison, without the dealer earning a cent more on them.

Few commodities have their end-user prices adjusted at frequent intervals to compensate for forex rate changes. Fuel is one of them.  

--

fritz

Agreed - this is more an exchange rate driven phenomenon rather than a price discrimination issue - by implication, Swiss dealers need to reduce their prices, labour rates etc to make themselves competitive once again to Swiss customers who can easily pay a French, German, Italian or Austrian dealer in Euros. The converse is true as well - so when the Swiss Franc weakens again, then the Swiss dealers can raise prices so as not to undercut (after taking into account the FX rate) dealers in the EU (whose prices are in Euros).

In my experience, sadly, the timing of any re-adjustment of prices to take into account FX fluctuations is usually determined by the date when the pre-arranged FX hedging that a company has in place expires rather than due to periodically checking the relative competitiveness (due to those FX fluctuations) of its prices against those of competitors in neighbouring countries (with a different currency).

--

easy_rider911:

In my case, my wife and I wanted to have a weekend in Bruges anyway so it was easy to schedule the trip around the same time as when the car needs to be serviced.

That's fair enough then. The car is serviced at a lower cost and the wife is happy for the trip.

--

"Form follows function"

You sure do get around, Easy.

easy_rider911:
    Atzporsche:

Please post some anniversary pictures in autumn London

@Atzporsche: haha Smiley It's 22C and sunny here - an Indian Summer - so a little while to go (hopefully) before Autumn really sets in Smiley The next car photos that I post will probably be from my weekend trip to Bruges with a major service at OPC Knokke-Heist in Belgium Smiley Hope you will enjoy those Smiley

I second ATZ's motion for more pics of cars + english countryside. I keep waiting for John to take pics in and around Chester, maybe when he gets the GTS.

I know Easy likes diverse threads;

So ATZ's idea got me checking the google map of england and after looking at pics I noticed that you can now virtually walk the roads in England like you can in the usa with google street view. In no time I found this incredible country road in East Cheshire,

Narrow, smooth, and scenic, calender-picture scenic. What a perfect road for a convoy of performance cars to barrel down on some saturday. This is exactly the type of road I am looking for here to build on.

Mow Lane, East Cheshire, England (due to narrow nature a rabbit would be needed)

mow lane.jpg

mow lane1.jpg

mow lane11.jpg

stop for lunch at one of the pubs like this one in north Cheshire

the swan winwick cheshire.jpg

@racerx: these photos look like single track roads - so I wouldn't barrel down one of those. I would look for a B-road at the very least which is 2-way usually.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Easy, you will note that in my post I specified the use of a RABBIT, knickname for a car to go ahead of the group with a radio communication device commonly used on group rides here to let the main group know if the coast is clear - meaning no oncoming traffic, human activity, or smokies. As far as little wild critters, that can happen anywhere and these roads are really free of human activity, common sense should also be along for the ride.

The above road leads into this road where the width was more clear and the scenery is still amazing with the little canal sleeping boats forming their own convoy.

gorse lane cheshire.jpg

dodds lane cheshire1 ferry.jpg

just daydreaming, and I would add that "barrel down" is subjective. These types of roads involve a lot of braking, turning, and hard acceleration which creates great sound (on some cars) and g forces w/o ever really attaining a high velocity.

Thanks for clarifying racerx  I wasn't aware of that meaning of the word rabbit  

--

RT Moderator 

Haha yes amazing roads! Jealous! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Easy - just a quick one on the service itself.  Make sure it includes changing the spark plugs.

This single item made by far the most difference in performance when I had mine done...

--

Thanks John  Yes, I am having the 4 year major service done and I am also having the spark plugs and brake fluid changed 

--

RT Moderator 

The French are on strike again ... hope it doesn't affect the ferries on Saturday and Monday ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11520220

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_travel_information_sailing_updates_sailing_updates.htm

--

RT Moderator 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689908 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409417 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255831 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858169 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774273 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM