Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Mini Cooper S Countryman - Short Driving Report

For those who are interested, here are a couple of thoughts regarding this car.

I testdrove it for a couple of hours, Cooper S version with manual.

POSITIVE

• very good driving feel, feels like a solid and bigger car
    • very good visibility to the front and sides
    • very direct and easy steering feel, maybe a little bit too direct for sharp curves and beginners
    • AWD is amazing, no more steering annoyances due to lack of traction (you can actually drive through a very narrow curve with the throttle fully pressed down, traction seems to be flawless, like driving on rails)
    • good quality look and feel with some minor exceptions (see NEGATIVE)
    • engine (Cooper S) powerful with acceptable fuel consumption (9 liters / 100 km)
    • Sport button improves throttle response

NEGATIVE

• exterior design is a matter of personal taste (the Mini is a classic, the Countryman version looks like something completely new)
    • the agility from the lighter Mini Cooper S is missing, it feels heavier (but at the same time offers a better feel of a solid and bigger car, good for women)
    • the Cooper S engine feels a little bit underpowered for the Countryman, 30-40 horses more would not hurt
    • interior material quality not always good, makes the Countryman look cheap from the inside (exceptions: speedo cluster, middle console and doors).
    • handbrake operation not really satisfying, the necessary arm movement is not comfortable
    • engine/exhaust sound lack any sportiness
    • steering can get nervous when changing lanes fast (issue for beginners only)
    • price tag is high (compared to BMW X1 for example)
    • effect of Sport button not as good as in the Mini Cooper S
    • throttle response without activated Sport button not as good as expected, there seems to be a slight turbo lag

Overall I would actually prefer a Mini Cooper S (not Countryman) with AWD but since this car does not exist, the Countryman could be an interesting alternative for short distances and mostly city driving. It also feels more solid than our Cooper S, the Countryman feels like driving in a class above the Mini. Unfortunately some of the agility goes away with the weight but due to the very direct steering, which at the same time operates very light, the weight is actually not a problem. Beginners however could have difficulties with this setup.

I would buy this car only because of the AWD, even if our Cooper S never had problems with bavarian winters.

Since the Countryman with the Cooper S engine already feels almost underpowered, going for a less power would take a lot of fun from this car. There is a rumor that Mini plans to offer a new 143 HP Diesel engine for the Countryman, I actually think that this Diesel engine could be the perfect engine for this car due to the high torque figure, especially for city driving.

Another point worth mentioning: there is a rumor that the automatic transmission version of the Countryman will not have AWD. If true, this would be a huge mistake because it would cost Mini a lot of Countryman customers. Especially for city driving, the automatic transmission is a must for such a car. Best imaginable combo: auto tranny + Diesel = perfect city car for those who don't want to drive through the city in a SUV.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I wasn't able to take any spectacular photos, sorry about that.

country2.jpg

country1.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: Mini Cooper S Countryman - Short Driving Report

RC - Would you prefer this car to a Subaru WRX or STI (similar price, no)?

Thank you for the review!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:

RC - Would you prefer this car to a Subaru WRX or STI (similar price, no)?

Thank you for the review!

From a driver's point of view ? No, definitely not.

The Countryman is a nice little city mover with AWD but nothing super sporty.

The Cooper S engine adds some juice the package but due to the higher chassis, don't expect the same agility and sportiness the Cooper S provides.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Thanks RC.

My wife realy wants a Clubman, but I thought the countryman with it's AWD would be better + you get extra space in the car + 4 doors.

She wants to ''look good'' when going into town without the kids ,or just with one that she can hide  

I seem to get your points, the standart Mini is nicer and more fun, the Countryman more settled . 

Maybe I must just ask her to look at both and then go for what her heart says..

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Just tell her wife that I think that the Clubman is one of the ugliest cars on this planet. 

My dealer told me that the Clubman doesn't sell at all anymore and that many potential Countryman customers actually expressed the same wishes I did: a Mini Cooper S with AWD. 

The Countryman is an interesting niche product but I'm really not sure if it will sell well.

Time will tell...

--

If I were in Switzerland I would go for the Countryman if I wanted a MINI product. AWD and higher ground clearance will prove helpful during your winters. The MINI fun factor (direct steering and good handling) seems to be unaffected in the Countryman.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

If I were in Switzerland I would go for the Countryman if I wanted a MINI product. AWD and higher ground clearance will prove helpful during your winters. The MINI fun factor (direct steering and good handling) seems to be unaffected in the Countryman.

--

"Form follows function"

Very well said. Smiley

--

reginos:

Just hoped it would be a bit bigger. It's actually quite a bit smaller than an X1. 

RC:

Just tell her wife that I think that the Clubman is one of the ugliest cars on this planet. 

Just ordered one...Smiley  "de gustibus non disputandum est"  Smiley

--

Forza rennteam 2.0!

mikigta:
    RC:

As an old Latin addict, a little correction: 

de gustibus non est disputandum Smiley

The Clubman sells pretty bad at my dealer, this is why he has high hopes for the Countryman.

--

RC:
    mikigta:
    RC:

As an old Latin addict, a little correction: 

de gustibus non est disputandum Smiley

The Clubman sells pretty bad at my dealer, this is why he has high hopes for the Countryman.

Smiley You are right!

That's why i have a little discount on it.... 17% Smiley

Btw i buy the pre- restyling model, cooperS 184cv.

I like also the countryman but too much money and fuel consumption IMHO.

Smiley

Ciao

Michele

--

Forza rennteam 2.0!

A high powered  version is coming in less than 12 months, so I am waiting for that...

WAY:

A high powered  version is coming in less than 12 months, so I am waiting for that...

High powered version of the Countryman ? Smiley

As far as I heard, the next engine on the table is the 143 hp Diesel engine. A JCW version isn't even on the table yet, Mini wants to take a look at initial sales figures first.

What I don't get is the version of the Countryman without AWD. Why would someone buy this over the "standard" Mini if it doesn't have AWD ?

I told my dealer that if Mini brings the Cooper S version with automatic tranny but without AWD, I won't go for it.

What I actually always wanted from Mini (and apparently there are others who are looking for the same): a Mini Cooper S with AWD, 300 hp and and additional weight of maximum 50 kg. For under 50000 EUR, this car would be amazing. Oh well... Smiley

--

What I actually always wanted from Mini (and apparently there are others who are looking for the same): a Mini Cooper S with AWD, 300 hp and and additional weight of maximum 50 kg. For under 50000 EUR, this car would be amazing. Oh well... Smiley

--

I would love to buy one! Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

RC:
    WAY:

High powered version of the Countryman ? Smiley

As far as I heard, the next engine on the table is the 143 hp Diesel engine. A JCW version isn't even on the table yet, Mini wants to take a look at initial sales figures first.

My friend told me that the hot versions are coming in 12 months.  He is high up in MINI.  He also had a meeting with head of MINI Design and Product development in Munich recently and that meeting didn't change what he said about the hot versions.  So it's coming!

The MINI in WRC will look like a Countryman. So hot versions are definitely in, to capitalize on the Rally participation.

MiniWRC.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Basically a Countryman without AWD is a better designed Clubman. I can see it, and would probably buy one. Never like the Clubman design.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690733 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65730 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774884 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM