Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

GTS ,

u r the man.   very nice  videos....

McLaren MP4-12C walk-around by design director Frank Stephenson...

"We take an up close look at the McLaren MP4-12C that was revealed in New York City. McLaren design director Frank Stephenson who has designed everything from the 2001 Mini to the Ferrari F430, takes on a detailed walk around of the MP4-12C super car he created. Frank goes into the technology and design philosophy of this powerful lightweight Super car...."

Smiley SmileySmiley

Those videos were great GTS, thanks a lot for posting. how cool are those doors without door handles? I'd spent like an hour just doing that the first time I was going to get into the car 

Are these pretty much all spoken for in the US already? I kind of want one now.

wedouglas:

Are these pretty much all spoken for in the US already? I kind of want one now.

They're not limited afaik. but maybe due to production limitations the wait may be long. Contact a dealer and let us know Smiley

Limited by production. I'm taking a wild guess that they've sold the first years batch for the US.

HI GTS ,

Thanks again for the videos .  after i watched these 2 videos  i found out MP4-12C  is a well designed car .  it is best supercar   on the market so far .   it fits all of my needs.   i can not wait to get one .   Will u get one of MP4-12C ?

Well, they aren't taking any deposits yet. However, I'm on the extensive list of interested people. I'm guessing that means no, I won't be able to get one any time soon. Damnit.

Hopefully they crated in depreciation in that case.

wedouglas:

Well, they aren't taking any deposits yet. However, I'm on the extensive list of interested people. I'm guessing that means no, I won't be able to get one any time soon. Damnit.

They are taking deposits in the UK - £15k to confirm place in pre-order bank pre-Nov 1(and we were told that the deposit would be the equivalent in other countries it is being sold in) Then a further £15k once your spec is finalised and the car is to go into production. Depostis after Nov 1 join the back of the queue...

Had a great visit to the McLaren Technology Centre last week to view the car (and have a tour) - shame that we weren't allowed to take pics of the championship winning cars on the 'boulevard' there, and impressive line-up.

Got to have good look around/sit in a testing prototype of the 12C though - much better in the flesh than piccies - though some finishes still to be finalised as that was such an early car - interior switches were plastic tho will be aluminium

A practical, and possibly critical, consideration for me though (apart from where do I get the money from ;) ) is that I might not actually be able to get in and out of the car in my garage - the distance from folded mirror on one side to fully opened door on the other is approx 2.6m... ahh, the joys of UK house builders and their jokes of garages...

Rich C (UK):
    wedouglas:

They are taking deposits in the UK - £15k to confirm place in pre-order bank pre-Nov 1(and we were told that the deposit would be the equivalent in other countries it is being sold in) Then a further £15k once your spec is finalised and the car is to go into production. Depostis after Nov 1 join the back of the queue...

Same in Germany (Euro 20k) Smiley

Door is one of the best feature on this car and then also the weakest point.  I am getting one but I wonder if there will ever be a situation where I cannot get out of this car.  

Jean:

Door is one of the best feature on this car and then also the weakest point.  I am getting one but I wonder if there will ever be a situation where I cannot get out of this car.  

perfect double-edged sword example. i think you might have a harder time getting into it. you might park somewhere where you know you can get out, but you never know who may park next to you and make it impossible for you to get in.

Love the camera gadget - 3 cameras 1 front 1 back one center cabin not for parking but also able recording the drive....

Interesting, no buttons on the steering wheel, in total contrast with the 458 Italia which has almost all the functions of the car on it. If you ask me, both aproaches are wrong, the 458 wheel is way too busy and confuses the driver, while the mclaren's is the exact opposite: too simple and needs the driver to take his attention from the road to the central touch screen in order to do simple but frequent tasks like changing a radio station, answering a call, or turning up/down the volume of a song...so for safety and everyday confort purposes, I would much prefer that these, along with the primary suspension and transmission settings, to be placed on the steering wheel, so you can activate them without taking your eyes from the road.

The wheel in the 458 isn't confusing at all. It becomes very natural to use after a very short period of time. I think this will be a trend picked up on by other car manufacturers in mainstream models within a few years.

ISUK:

The wheel in the 458 isn't confusing at all. It becomes very natural to use after a very short period of time. I think this will be a trend picked up on by other car manufacturers in mainstream models within a few years.

I disagree here. There's absolutely no need to put the indicators and the buttons for wipers and lights on the steering wheel. Manettino is nice, start-button as well, but the rest is useless. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I'm with Rossi on this one Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Wow, stunning!

Do you have any of those pics in Hi-res skazzy?  

It looks good like. I can't wait to know how it will drive .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Looks great!

I'm going to the local launch here in 3 weeks time, but my name is already on the list for the first batch After viewing in person, I can decide to cancel or continue.

Will be sure to post plenty of photos.

Not even out, it needs a major facelift...

love it

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

skazzy:

HOLY SHIT ON A STICK, this is stunning. The car is growing on me, it appears very well designed and put together. I loved the designer video talking about the little features. Smiley Well done McLaren, but let's see if it really does blow the competition out of the water as they claim. Talking a big game and not delivering is not going to go down well in this segment Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

skazzy:

I love this pic ( and pics like this one ) not just because the car imo is gorgeous and one of my favorites right now, but because it shows it in a real world scenario. Pictues on a white or black background or in a showroom don't really let you see the real visual power of this car. Put it in a regular car park next to a honda and you can really see how impressive this baby is.

It certainly does look well in that image.

--

Hi guys, i just signed up because saturday i saw a c12.

Im still a little suprised really as im 26 and grown up with a slightly akward fascination with the f1 and had absolutely no expectation of seeing a mp4-12c unless at a show.

To put a little more accuracy to this it was about 17:25 and i was stood outside "The Buckingham" pub on Whitecross Road, Hereford. The car was a graphite ish dark metalic with almost a slight hint of bluiness in the metalic flick. I was so stumped that i didnt think to read the numberplate and didnt have time to get my phone out to take a pic as it was gone in about 6 or 7 seconds heading east down the road.

I can't think of any reason why it would be traveling through Hereford especially in the direction it was traveling, the road leads East on to Hay-on-Wye or north east on to Kington. theres nothing but poor quality country roads till you reach the Welsh border a few miles further on.

google map location if this helps solve my mystery at all!?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=52.059404%2C-2.732755&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Could be some final testing for a production car on less than perfect roads. McL boast a lot about this cars every-day capabilities and driving on bad roads is a reality for everyone.

McLaren MP4-12C race car to appear in 2012...

McLaren is set to announce an agreement concerning the MP4-12C race car with British CRS Racing...

The McLaren M4-12C supercar should hit the racetrack for the first time in 2012.

The British manufacturer, whose turbocharged V8-powered Ferrari rival goes on sale next year, is set to announce an agreement with the British CRS Racing team to build competition versions of the car. A GT3 contender is being developed for 2012, while a GT2-spec car could race at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2013.

AutoWeek understands that the design of the GT3 contender is under way at the McLaren Technology Center near London and, if a deal is concluded, that the MP4-12Cs will be upgraded into racers at CRS's workshops near the Donington Park circuit.

A run of 15 GT3-spec McLarens is thought to be planned for 2012, with the first development cars likely to take part in some races at the end of next season. A smaller run is planned for the GT2-specification MP4-12C racer.

McLaren-MP4-12C_Le-Mans-racer_Autoweek-Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782206 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442932 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86035 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6040 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819945 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM