Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cajun

That's a really silly name. The next one will be called chili.

would make sense in a way, that segment is becoming more and more popular but I'm not that is Porsche's battle. BTW great to see you around Gary! :)
    --

Good to see you're still here Carlos! 

Porsche equal mass market cars! 

Might be time to check the Aston Martin!

I will take a Cajun in place of my wife's Golf GTI

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

I like the idea!  I'm definitely interested.

that would be a really silly name.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung featured an article about Porsche´s new CEO Matthias Mueller, former head of product management at Volkswagen AG. Amongst the personnel changes, they were commenting on Porsche´s future model lineup. In short, the new 911 is projected for the 2nd half of 2011 [which corresponds with the assumed presentation at the IAA in Frankfurt] with shorter front overhang, longer wheelbase and a cabin that is placed further upfront. The Carrera is said to be powered by a four-cylinder boxer engine with 2.5 litre displacement and turbocharger, providing 360 hp.

A 1.6-liter four-cylinder boxer engine is said to propel the successor of Boxster and Cayman, debuting Mid 2012. The S-variants of those models are said to be launched at the end of 2011.

The Cajun seems to be based on the Audi Q5, featuring its engines in revised form and 190 [2.0 TDI] to 300 hp [3.0 TFSI]. Interesting to add that the car is rumoured to feature only two doors and a coupe silhouette. Presented at Geneve 2013 and assumedly built in Ingolstadt.

Obviously, Volkswagen and Porsche are both considering the division of work for the modular component system that is said to form the basis for the majority of Volkswagen AG´s premium models, including SUVs [Q7, Cayenne, Touareg], Limousines [A8, Panamera, Phaeton] and the upper-level Lamborghini. Mid-engined sportscars of the group seem to share components as well, the projected mid-engined plattform for R4 and below the Boxster as much as for R8 and Gallardo.

Ferdie:

The Carrera is said to be powered by a four-cylinder boxer engine with 2.5 litre displacement and turbocharger, providing 360 hp.

A 1.6-liter four-cylinder boxer engine is said to propel the successor of Boxster and Cayman, debuting Mid 2012. The S-variants of those models are said to be launched at the end of 2011.

I wonder what the reporter was smoking?smokin.gif

--

Whatever it is- I don't like it. 

Lars997:

Aston Martin will launch the Cygnet based on the Toyota IQ, so think twice!

cygnet.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Ferdie:

The Carrera is said to be powered by a four-cylinder boxer engine with 2.5 litre displacement and turbocharger, providing 360 hp.

A 1.6-liter four-cylinder boxer engine is said to propel the successor of Boxster and Cayman, debuting Mid 2012.

Err, joking, right? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

It´s in today´s automotive segment of above mentioned newspaper, the article sounded very convinced about their gathered information.

Don´t shoot the messenger...

reginos:
    Lars997:

Aston Martin will launch the Cygnet based on the Toyota IQ, so think twice!

cygnet.jpg

Damnnn it SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

SmileySmileySmiley

intouch1:

that would be a really silly name.

Maybe it will sell well in Louisiana.  Surely James Carville would buy one.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/porsche-confirms-cajun-baby-suv-20100928-15uxh.html

"Porsche is also expected to produce a baby sports car to sit below the Boxster as Volkswagen aims to double Porsche's global sales to 150,000 in the next few years."

Exclusivity will really be a thing of the past.

I know a few Cajuns and I would be scared to ride WITH one, let alone IN one! 

Really, for all the nice associations with jambalaya, crawfish and zydeco, Cajuns have something of a swamp rat reputation. So this is akin to Land Rover naming an off-road truck the Hillbilly or the Gomer Pyle.

Probably not great marketing thinking. Sounds more like a name Subaru would use. 

--

Winning through radical experimentation.

Good to see you are still around, GM.  Smiley 

--

fritz

Lars997:

Indeed Smiley , maybe Lambo and Ferrari is the way to go, the Gallardo Spyder is on my head for long.

J.Seven

fritz:

Good to see you are still around, GM.  Smiley 

Thanks fritz!  Smiley

Well, well, Gary...I missed you.   

Regarding the "Cajun" (I even don't know how to say it right...dumb name): it is a fact that Porsche will offer a smaller SUV sometimes around 2015. Not sure about the 2013 time frame though since they want to build it around an updated Audi Q5 platform.

I really think that a smaller SUV has chances in the Porsche model family but are they really serious about "Cajun" ? Reminds me of  "cojones". 

Seriously: why not Cayenne Coupe or Cayenne Z ? They should have kept the Cayenne in the name for various reasons.

Even Cayenne seems to be a difficult name for some people, I know so many Cayenne owners or interested buyers who call the Cayenne Chayenne. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I only associated Cajun with cooking, until I looked it up because of this thread. But Cayenne was a funny name for a car in 2000 when it was announced and now it is a household name in things automotive.

Of course if the proposed name means something bad in another language it should be dropped. I remember the SEAT Malaga , a very popular model in Greece was eventually marketed there as SEAT Gredos because Malaga sounded like Malaka a Greek word for someone who masturbates!

--

"Form follows function"

I think Porsche should avoid "exotic" names for various reasons. Cayenne was OK, still not ideal for a sports car company. Cayman was actually good...until somebody came up with "Gayman". Panamera is a good name for the Porsche sedan but still not really what I have wished for.

Cajun isn't very good, most people will say "Cashoon" to it and even if they get the "j" right, it still sounds stupid for a car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

IMO the name must be simple and one that can be easily  pronounced by everyone all over the world and in the same way. Cajun, for example, I don't know how to pronounce the J and eventually spanish will pronounce it differently from french or portuguese or slavic languages speakers.

Carrera , Targa and Panamera are very good on these criteria, Cayenne and Cayman not good and Boxster is ok but it is a funny name.

--

"Form follows function"

Not sure "Cajun" is final, I just came off the phone with one of our sources. Apparently Winterkorn just used one of the many possibilities discussed but he shouldn't have done it in public. Well...  

Let's hope and pray for the best. 

--

reginos:

Cajun, for example, I don't know how to pronounce the J and eventually spanish will pronounce it differently 

in spanish Cajun is very similar to Cajon which is drawerSmiley, but its also similar in pronunciation to Cojon which is testicle  tongue.gif  so can imagine the jokes....

--

RC:

Well, well, Gary...I missed you.   

Thanks RC!Smiley  Nice to be back.  I have been, as Carrageous says,"lurking".  I have occasionally checked in on Rennteam, but without commenting.

Cajun is pronounced with a hard "j" sound, like in "engine".  Not a soft "j" like in cojone.  Listen to it here: dictionary.reference.com/browse/Cajun

The word is short for "Acadian", a French speaking group of people living primarily in southern Louisiana, including New Orleans, and they are well known for their spicy food and Zydeco music.  They migrated to Louisiana from Canada, mainly the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia areas, in the middle 1700's.  I had not known about the Cajun origins until I visited the Acadia National Park in Maine a few years ago, and then also visited New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.  It's a fascinating story.  The French settlers there were driven out by the British who took control of the area in 1710.  The Acadians moved to Louisiana because it was, at the time, governed by the French.

In the US most people think of the Cajun culture as maybe having rural origins and a festive lifestyle with lots of drinking, partying, spicy food and Zydeco music.  I agree with Carrageous earlier characterizations.  One of the most prominent Cajuns is James Carville, also known as the Ragin Cajun.  He is an attorney, political science professor and political consultant, primarily for Democratic candidates.  You often see him on TV debating Republicans.  He is a capable and colorful debater.

1285765395755220px-James_Carville_1.jpg

Gary's been busy and succeeding far beyond expectations! 

One name Porsche might try is ...

cay·use  (k-ys, kys)

n. a small American Indian pony used by cowboys

Has a bit of an outlaw connotation -- sometimes in old John Wayne movies it was used as an insult, a suggestion that someone was somewhat crafty -- but connotes the idea of wiry, go-anywhere toughness.

I usually charge $50,000 for naming projects, Porsche.

--

On second thought, keep the $50K

"Cayuse" is too cute by  half. Might as well call it "Scamp" or "Rascal" ... as others have named vehicles in this segment.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755215 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431552 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258868 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255894 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79892 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5263 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868918 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802946 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM