Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

If I was to buy a car today, this would be it.

The reviews are phenomenal. The car provides just about everything anyone would want in a super sport car. Beautiful styling, performance, exotic sound, gorgeous interior and it is priced right. Unfortunately, only 600 a year are earmarked for the US market.Smiley

http://models.audiusa.com/r8-spyder

--

Re: If I was to buy a car today, this would be it.

Agree 100%  with you Nick. .  Away from a race track, this is the one for me , too. Here's the Sat WSJ review from the poet laureate of auto writers, Dan Niel ,  writing at a level that requires a college edn to understand fully - what a refreshing concept !.   Crude video game bench racing type cussing fan boys  that seem to make up 90% of the car blogosphere - don't bother wherever you are !

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989304575503893887298292.html

S5 is sharp, A8 is nice, never liked the R8 at all.

Love the R8 Spyder  Here in the UK, the advertising slogan that is being used for it is:

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

+1 on the R8, but I would have it with the tin top :)

I think a 997.2 TTS Cab is a better car than this.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I think a 997.2 TTS Cab is a better car than this.

Easy,

997.2 TTS Cab is a faster car than Audi R8 Spyder, for sure. However, is it better? It is questionable..

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

How do you define better?

IMO at this level of technical competence it is all a matter of preferences and priorities and of course who likes what badge.

OTOH a Porsche buyer wants to buy a Porsche, simple. A R8 buyer wants deep down  to buy a Ferrari-type of car without the costs and the headaches.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

The reviews are phenomenal. The car provides just about everything anyone would want in a super sport car. Beautiful styling, performance, exotic sound, gorgeous interior and it is priced right. Unfortunately, only 600 a year are earmarked for the US market.Smiley

--

Why not buy the original...the Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder ? Smiley

I don't know why but the Audi R8 never attracted me...in any way. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

reginos:

A R8 buyer wants deep down  to buy a Ferrari-type of car without the costs and the headaches.

SmileySmiley

When I bought my R8 V8 manual I never looked back at F430F1 Spyder that I had before it. ...and IMHO R8 is a better car overall then F430.

Is IMHO R8 V10 manual a better car then 997.2 Turbo PDK or Turbo S? No, it is not. BUT, neither is 997.2 Turbo PDK a better car overall.

Please, do not write about how usefull are rear seats in 997.2, in my experince they are totally useless. Big suitcases are not possible any way...  So, for travelling 997.2 is for me not any better then R8.

High speed stability... Try R8 V10 at 300km/h and then try 997.2 Turbo PDK-you will know what I am talking about...

My point is that both cars are very good sportscar, they push the buttons for different people. I could even say that Porsche fans are way more die hard then any R8 fan...

Advantages of 997.2 Turbo PDK over R8 V10 are IMO:

-excellent overall package

-truly very, very fast indeed

-PDK-an excellent DCT

-better for everyday driving situations

-lower deprecion

Most people, even at this segment of the market,  don't go so deep like you do. They go for the style of the R8 and the dramatic look a la Italian supercar. The engineering of Audi is a bonus for them but not the priority in most cases.

--

"Form follows function"

Two interesting issues here: 1) whether the R8 5.2 Spyder or 997.2 TTS is better; and 2) whether the author of the WSJ article is right to 'gush' so effusively about the R8 5.2 Spyder as the zenith of the internal combution engine. In relation to the former, I agree with others here - it is ultimately personal opinion which is 'better'. Regarding the 2nd point, I think the article is mistaken. There are better cars to represent the peak of what a petrol-engined car can be: eg GT2 RS, Veyron perhaps? Sorry no paragraphs - I'm using an iPhone ;)
    --

RT Moderator 

reginos:
    OTOH a Porsche buyer wants to buy a Porsche, simple. A R8 buyer wants deep down  to buy a Ferrari-type of car without the costs and the headaches.

I agree. I always think that if I cannot afford F458 I would buy R8.

IMO, R8 is the cheapest super sport/exotic car one can buy. By saying cheap, I just don't mean the price tag. I mean service intervals, running cost, insurance, maintainance etc.

The looks, performance, handling, noise and design of R8 are all executed very well. I had driven R8 V8 coupe both on track and on road, and I like this car very much and find it the best AWD Car in the market. (I had driven 997.1 C4S and 997.1 Turbo and didn't like them at all)

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

If I had to choose between the R8 Spyder and the 997 Turbo S Cab, I would take the 997 Turbo S Cab without even thinking about it for a second.

Performance comes first. Period.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I've driven a 997.2 Turbo Cabrio last week on a difficult mountain road and it was very fast in acceleration and exciting but at the same time very hard work at some points  in spite of its 4WD and PTV differential.

The R8 V8 I drove some time ago on the same road, I remember  was much easier,its only main drawback its width. For some people this is very important.

--

"Form follows function"

I love the 997.2 PDK Turbo cab. What is missing for the perfect driving experience is the lack of sensuous exhaust and super car styling. It is difficult to differentiate the styling between a $65,000 Porsche and a $160,000 Porsche.

The R8 V10 Spyder fulfills those requirement. Regarding performance, what difference does it make if you're the third fastest super sport car or the fifth fastest? 

--

Nick, the only problem is that you will have to choose R8 V10 Spyder with manual gearbox since optional sequential manual(R tronic) is crap. Since you love paddle shifters I guess you will have to wait for something else(next gen of R8 will feature DCT).

I think that the R8 represents a very real challenge to Porsche for the consumer who is looking for a drivable sports car with some status attached to it. The older guys who want to spend their bonus on something would definitely consider an R8 Spyder as well as a TT Cab. Also, people that are getting bored with Porsche but don’t want to move to an Italian brand would consider it as well. Personally I think the R8 looks great, sounds great and has a great road presence. I would consider this car if I was in the market for a TT, but not if I was considering a GT3 RS or GT2 as it’s not in the same category as those two. I agree with Kreso in that the back seats in the TT wouldn’t be something would make or break the decision. The only time anyone has ever sat in the back of my 911 was me, when I was cleaning the window, although it’s a great place to throw a duffle bag when going on a weekend trip.

You are correct. They reviews have not be favorable regarding the R Tronic. I assume Audi will make DCT available in the near future.

BTW, my wife a Porschephile still has not commented on her preference. She did say the R8 is a gorgeous car. 

--

nberry:

I love the 997.2 PDK Turbo cab. What is missing for the perfect driving experience is the lack of sensuous exhaust and super car styling. It is difficult to differentiate the styling between a $65,000 Porsche and a $160,000 Porsche.

Put differently, the $65.000 Porsche looks as good as the $160.000, and why not?

These cars are not for people who want to show off. They are for people who know and appreciate their engineering and driving characterisitcs. The lack of supercar styling is a blessing for many Turbo owners and it fits their mentality. 

Another defining car, in many parts of the world, is the Mercedes S class. The Director/Businessman who owns one doesn't care if there is a diesel taxi of the same model.

--

"Form follows function"

Not very attractive with the roof up!

nberry:

You are correct. They reviews have not be favorable regarding the R Tronic. I assume Audi will make DCT available in the near future.

BTW, my wife a Porschephile still has not commented on her preference. She did say the R8 is a gorgeous car. 

Nick, here is not very serious review but...

..another not very serious video.

nberry:

The R8 V10 Spyder fulfills those requirement. Regarding performance, what difference does it make if you're the third fastest super sport car or the fifth fastest? 

I agree on the exhaust (and Porsche is working on that for the 991 Turbo) but especially the classic but never dying 911 shape is my favorite. I couldn't care less about super car styling, on the contrary. I want to drive the car, not being seen in it. Smiley

Which reminds me of my wife's last M3 Cab buy. First question she asked me when she sat in the open cab in the dealer's showroom: "how do I look in it?". Smiley Nothing more to add. Smiley

--

RC:
    nberry:

I agree on the exhaust (and Porsche is working on that for the 991 Turbo) but especially the classic but never dying 911 shape is my favorite. I couldn't care less about super car styling, on the contrary. I want to drive the car, not being seen in it. Smiley

You constantly repeat this refrain but I don't buy it. You are in denial. You want to be seen in an expensive car for the very same reasons all of us do. It makes a statement of who you are and your station in life.

Otherwise why would you continue to buy Porsche's and the most expensive ones? Also, I do not know of a better way of "being seen" then speeding excessively on public roads as you seem to do.

Christian, be true to yourself and you will find you will like yourself better.Smiley

Kreso, thanks for the video clips. 

--

nberry:

You constantly repeat this refrain but I don't buy it. You are in denial. You want to be seen in an expensive car for the very same reasons all of us do. It makes a statement of who you are and your station in life.

Otherwise why would you continue to buy Porsche's and the most expensive ones? Also, I do not know of a better way of "being seen" then speeding excessively on public roads as you seem to do.

very well said, completely agree.

RC:
    nberry:

--

Why not buy the original...the Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder ? Smiley

I don't know why but the Audi R8 never attracted me...in any way. Smiley

As a baby boomer family man living in a car-conservative eco-trendy world famous university  town ( filled wall -to wall with hybrid Toyota Priuses ) that is hometown  to many  of the world's most famous tech titans , the R8 Spyder  looks " proper " and socially acceptable if I were to drive one .

Tongues wag when people here drive Ferraris  and esp "Hollywood -brat"  Lambos . Those types " live up in the hills " , LOL.

" Mr I Phone/I Pad  " a few blocks over drives  an Audi S5 , BTW.

nberry:
    You want to be seen in an expensive car for the very same reasons all of us do. It makes a statement of who you are and your station in life.

1. no, I don't want to be seen in an expensive car for various reasons I have already elaborated in so many posts (and probably bored the hell out of some of you)

2. the statement of who I am and my station in life are my kids, I enjoy every single moment with them

3. I buy the most expensive Porsche because unfortunately (or luckily ?)...they are the fastest (I love fast cars)

4. I don't speed...we have no general speed limit in Germany. I only drive fast because I enjoy it and because I can. Period.

You should talk to my wife, Nick. She always gets the same arguments from her girl friends who don't understand how she can "allow" me to drive such fast and expensive cars.

Arguments: "waste of money...you could buy tons of shoes for this kind of money", "penis enlargement...he is only out for younger women". 

My wife knows me better...luckily. You don't. Cheers.  Smiley

--

RC:

You should talk to my wife, Nick. She always gets the same arguments from her girl friends who don't understand how she can "allow" me to drive such fast and expensive cars.

Arguments: "waste of money...you could buy tons of shoes for this kind of money", "penis enlargement...he is only out for younger women".

Huh? Wrong "friends" then. Very strange. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I don't accept that speeding is done to "be seen". Whilst the moronic traffic light grand prix-type may do this in his rice-burner, I speed whenever I can when there is no one to see me and when conditions are right - ie for my own private enjoyment of the car/the road/ the moment. That's what driving a sports car should be about

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691051 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410173 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256222 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235417 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65746 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858820 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775122 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM