Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Never say Never......

throt:

Nice to get the blessing from the Mrs, dreamcar, I think it makes all the difference when both are on board...My other half thinks there a waste of money which is a bummer..She has just purchased a run around, its a Suzuki Swift costing 12k , road tax £30 a year and cheap insurance. thats her idea of value and a car ....

Congrat's, buddy...

thanks, throt. Smiley

SWMBO does like a quality car. A few years back we had a auto BMW 328i Touring, which we sold when we got our first Boxster. She then had a cheap runabout and now drives a Honda Jazz with a horrible CVT transmission.

She really missed the BMW, and fell in love with the Cayman within minutes of driving it. She is entitled to a Porsche experience day at Silverstone, which should lessen her worry about winter driving by the time she has a few goes on the ice hill and kickplate Smiley She was amazed how easy and unitimidating the Cayman was to drive as she is not used to a powerful car.

--

BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

GR:

Congratulations.  Have you decided on the full spec yet? 

One other all important option I forgot to mention that we've ordered - PDK three spoke sports steering wheel with shift paddles.

--

BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon : Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10 delivery)

John H:

When you can't change the wife's attitude to cars - it's time to change the wife.... 

Only joking Keith - how's it going buddy? 

I am fine, John, just silly busy at the moment..

I will kick her out at the weekend, gave her a weeks notice Smiley..

Hope you and yours are well too, take care mucker..Smiley..

@ dreamcar, congrats again, cant wait fore the pics Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

@ dreamcar, congrats again, cant wait fore the pics Smiley..

I can't wait for the car!!! Smiley

--

BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon : Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10 delivery)

dreamcar, that's awesome, congrats! Smiley And not just a "decent spec" but a killer spec!   SWMBO must be very nice to go for replacing your Cobalt mistress with a younger, faster, sexier girl with a curvier booty and firmer top! Smiley Smiley 

Wow Congratulations Mr and Mrs Dreamcar, great choice!

FWIW i agree with what everyone said about the LSD, a must i would of thought!

I know this is heresy but did you consider a M3 at all??

dr.j:

dreamcar, that's awesome, congrats! Smiley And not just a "decent spec" but a killer spec!   SWMBO must be very nice to go for replacing your Cobalt mistress with a younger, faster, sexier girl with a curvier booty and firmer top! Smiley Smiley 

Many thanks dr.j; SWMBO is very understanding and has sadly accepted that there is probably no cure for my eccentric ways. Smiley

We started out trying to be disciplined and keeping the spec to a minimum; everyone tried talking me out of the full leather trim, RC here and even the dealer "it will add nothing to resale" but having had it on the previous cars I would have missed the ambience - it does help make the car feel special. Still we didn't go for PASM, 19" wheels, Bose, sports exhaust or the electric comfort seats we had in our previous cars. We won't miss the 19" wheels (you can't see them when driving, makes the ride firmer on our countries broken roads), and the ride on the 2.9 non PASM 18" wheeled demo Cayman we drove was fine, although I am expecting the S to be slightly firmer.  We might miss the  lumbar adjustment and convenience of the memory settings of the comfort seats, though. The benefits of sports exhaust are obviously not as great with a coupe as on the convertible although I will miss the wonderful and deafening echo under bridges and in tunnels. In the last Boxey I wish I had ordered the door finishers in leather but held off after SWMBO wanted to go for metallic paint (which was a very good choice - we were never too sure about white or guards red) and then the LSD just put us too far over our budget to consider all the nice to haves.

I have asked the dealer to transfer the aluminium handbrake we bought from Sun Coast Porsche on your recommendation to the Cayman though! Smiley

A work colleague of SWMBO has a Mercedes SLK and she went out in it the other day as a passenger and was very unimpressed - she said it just felt like an ordinary utilitarian car after the Boxey! Smiley

--

Woolfe:

Wow Congratulations Mr and Mrs Dreamcar, great choice!

FWIW i agree with what everyone said about the LSD, a must i would of thought!

I know this is heresy but did you consider a M3 at all??

Thanks Woolfe Smiley - we've both driven the M3 and although it is much quicker (in a straight line) than the Cayman it feels (and is) big and heavy in comparison and as a result not as nimble and rewarding. Our congested roads would mean it would be very rare that you could use this extra grunt. The M3 is much thirstier and more expensive on insurance and road tax which is based on CO2 emissions here in the UK. Depreciation much steeper too.

--

Many congratulations DC - It will a great advantage alone to have SWMBO able to drive you back from a night out.! 

Great car.  I'm sharing the pain of waiting...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Many many congrats to both of you, DC & SWMBO Smiley Great spec, I fully agree with you on what you've said about the full leather option Smiley Great post from Carlos regarding the LSD - and after all you could persuade yourself that it's cost neutral as it saves the expensive rear tires from excessive wear Smiley

I'm very glad for you and of course I hope that you can make a stop over at my place when you pick the car up in Zuffenhausen - kind of a tradition SmileySmiley 

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Great news, Dreamcar... sounds like a well-thought out choice and I'm sure you will both enjoy the Cayman.  Wife and I have been Porsche-shopping since April as well, as she wants a replacement for her much-loved 2002 M Coupe which went to a new home in June.  We have been maximizing our test drive time in Caymans, and a few 997s, all summer...  Our answer is coming in about a week (but I won't hijack your thread... will start my own!) .   Hope your south UK weather permits some fun driving after delivery. 

--

2010 Audi S5,  20__ Porsche _______

dreamcar:

We are also considering the possibility of another factory collection, it does make the car feel special, and also the Porsche Museum is now open. The main thing worrying us is what the weather will be like, we understand our car will be built in late October, so early to mid November would be the dates. We don't have winter tyres, so don't much like the idea of a long trek up the Autobahn from Stuttgart if the weather is likely to be bad.

I've got some winter wheels if you want to borrow them Smiley Trouble is, someone would have to drive them out and the other set back...

Belated public congrats. (I've spoken to DC about this already, and I'm jealous as hell.)

My old girl is five and a half now, 55k miles on the clock. She's started to get moody by pretending to be 'asleep' and locking me out now and then.... (Battery getting old maybe)... But she still a good looking eye-turner. I just haven't the heart or the funds to turn her in.

Smiley

Congrats Dreamcar and will look forward to some pictures.

--
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

Dc, DC, DC... tut, tut, tut

And after all those Caymen baiting comments you made!

Congrat's though, great car - I too am in a similar, dilemma now settled in the new job, what to get - might be back down at Bournemouth this Sat am to talk to Jason - as the new 911 is supposedly only a year away I might well wait... but once I see the shiney showroom and have some man maths done I too may waiver

Is thet your Boxster on the website then - have they got it already??

Rich C (UK):

Dc, DC, DC... tut, tut, tut

And after all those Caymen baiting comments you made!

Congrat's though, great car - I too am in a similar, dilemma now settled in the new job, what to get - might be back down at Bournemouth this Sat am to talk to Jason - as the new 911 is supposedly only a year away I might well wait... but once I see the shiney showroom and have some man maths done I too may waiver

Is thet your Boxster on the website then - have they got it already??

Hi Rich Smiley

Good to hear from you, yes they've already got the Boxster and that's it on the site. I do hope she goes to a good home Smiley

No doubt you will put our humble Cayman in the shade by getting a GT3 at the very least? Smiley Sounds like a new car get together is on the cards! Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:

Many many congrats to both of you, DC & SWMBO Smiley Great spec, I fully agree with you on what you've said about the full leather option Smiley Great post from Carlos regarding the LSD - and after all you could persuade yourself that it's cost neutral as it saves the expensive rear tires from excessive wear Smiley

I'm very glad for you and of course I hope that you can make a stop over at my place when you pick the car up in Zuffenhausen - kind of a tradition SmileySmiley 

I love your creative accounting to justify the LSDSmiley - much like our creative and illogical thought process to buy the car that for all sane reasons we shouldn't have bought...Smiley Not that we regret it for one moment but it was sad to say farewell to the Boxey. Smiley

Following advice from RC earlier in this thread we've decided with much regret not to chance the weather in November as the car won't have winter tyres fitted. It's a shame as collecting the Boxey from it's home did add to the special feel and emotions we had for that wonderful car.

We will certainly be coming to Germany next year to visit SMBO's daughter (with the Cayman of course)! Smiley Maybe in April but definitely in September and we'd love to meet up with you both again then.Smiley

--

wtsnet:
    I've got some winter wheels if you want to borrow them Smiley Trouble is, someone would have to drive them out and the other set back...

Belated public congrats. (I've spoken to DC about this already, and I'm jealous as hell.)

My old girl is five and a half now, 55k miles on the clock. She's started to get moody by pretending to be 'asleep' and locking me out now and then.... (Battery getting old maybe)... But she still a good looking eye-turner. I just haven't the heart or the funds to turn her in.

Smiley

Thank you for the kind offer of the winter wheels, might have had some fun getting them within our luggage allowance at the airport.....Smiley 

You are far more sensible than me, wtsnet, our car was a mere spring chicken at 22,000 miles. Now we are getting a two pedal car the Cayman will get used a lot more than the Garage Queen did, as it will be SWMBO's commuting car. She's anxious about supermarket car parks, but when I think where we've happpily left the Boxey when touring around I am usre all will be fine. She was more than happy driving our 1999 BMW 328i Touring which was a fair size larger than the Cayman. 

Still if you fancy a change there is a beautiful, betrayed, lonely and sad one owner cobalt blue Boxster S in Bournemouth looking for a new home for not a lot of money, and I would love to see her go to a good home....Smiley

--

bobr:

Congrats Dreamcar and will look forward to some pictures.

Plenty of pictures when the time comes, I promise! Smiley

--

Ok, probably ought to post this in the Boxster board, but damn it DC you've got me at it now! Popped in as planned to talk 911s, Jason busy so a coffee and a wander round. Stunning white Boxster spyder in the showroom with black wheels and a few select toys, long story short..... quick test drive and they've done me some figures I'm mulling over...... arrrrgh ;) Did remember to put an official interest on on the new 911 tho Oh, did say 'hello' to your old box :D

DC, one thing I might recommend you think about if you are going to use the car for general shopping duty is to clear film the sides of the car plus the front bumper. The panels are more dent-proof than your average motor but you do get the odd mark from rear doors on the haunch above the vents, and on the doors, and the odd coat zip / handbag scratch as people walk between cars. Mostly these polish out however. Getting the front bumper filmed may prevent any parking mis-judgements becoming re-spray jobs. Must catch up in person soon.

Rich C (UK):
    Ok, probably ought to post this in the Boxster board, but damn it DC you've got me at it now! Popped in as planned to talk 911s, Jason busy so a coffee and a wander round. Stunning white Boxster spyder in the showroom with black wheels and a few select toys, long story short..... quick test drive and they've done me some figures I'm mulling over...... arrrrgh ;) Did remember to put an official interest on on the new 911 tho Oh, did say 'hello' to your old box :D

Hi Rich. Jason or Nick Ray are the two you want to deal with there. We fell out with one of the others whose name I won't put on the open forum here. Smiley

Hope you do the deal on the Spyder, great car, drove one at Silverstone. To me (wait for the flaming) I find the 997's less precise and almost slightly cumbersome compared to the mid engined modelsSmileyalthough I've not driven the GT2/3 models.  Is a 997 really worth £15k more than a Cayman S if you don't need the kiddy seats? Go for it you know it makes sense!! Smiley Could be a double celebration coming up....Smiley

--

wtsnet:
    DC, one thing I might recommend you think about if you are going to use the car for general shopping duty is to clear film the sides of the car plus the front bumper. The panels are more dent-proof than your average motor but you do get the odd mark from rear doors on the haunch above the vents, and on the doors, and the odd coat zip / handbag scratch as people walk between cars. Mostly these polish out however. Getting the front bumper filmed may prevent any parking mis-judgements becoming re-spray jobs. Must catch up in person soon.

Hi wtsnet Smiley

Sound advice, that man, my thought process hadn't got that far yet. We had the Armourfend on the front end of the Boxey and it certainly did a good job. Hadn't thought about the sides though. Must get a requote!

--

dreamcar:
    To me (wait for the flaming) I find the 997's less precise and almost slightly cumbersome compared to the mid engined modelsSmileyalthough I've not driven the GT2/3 models.  Is a 997 really worth £15k more than a Cayman S if you don't need the kiddy seats? 

I wouldn't flame you DC Smiley Everyone has their own likes/dislikes Smiley

But, personally, I don't share that view - I love the 62:38 weight distribution - it allows one to play about in the corners in a way that a mid-engined car doesn't permit.

I didn't buy a 911 just for the rear seats though. There are plenty of other (more important) reasons why I chose a 911: much more legroom in a 911 since the driver's seat goes back much further (and with my height I really needed this), there's the weight distribution I mentioned, the huge traction out of corners, the increased power, greater luggage capacity (if you include the interior space), the list goes on ... Smiley

Plus, IMvHO the -20mm conventionally sprung sports suspension and rear LSD is sublime giving all the precision that IMHO the PASM 997.1 cars lacked.

Still, each to his own Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Go for the white Spyder, what a stunning machine. It's a border line supercar on looks and no doubt one of the best handling Porsche's you can find in their current showroom

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

easy_rider911:
    dreamcar:
    To me (wait for the flaming) I find the 997's less precise and almost slightly cumbersome compared to the mid engined modelsSmileyalthough I've not driven the GT2/3 models.  Is a 997 really worth £15k more than a Cayman S if you don't need the kiddy seats? 

I wouldn't flame you DC Smiley Everyone has their own likes/dislikes Smiley

Plus, IMvHO the -20mm conventionally sprung sports suspension and rear LSD is sublime giving all the precision that IMHO the PASM 997.1 cars lacked.

Still, each to his own Smiley

Hi easy Smiley

In all fairness it's probably my lack of miles driving a 997 -  I've  driven  911's much less than the mid engined cars, and I'm sure with more familiarisation I'd love the rear engined Porsches as much as what I'm used to. Smiley From what I have experienced the greater performance and much more gruff engine note, which I prefer, are obvious advantages! Neither of us need the extra leg room and when touring it's amazing how much you can stow in the two boots and of course with Cayman we will get even more with the space on top of the engine cover.

One thing I will say, this week in my beloved North Yorkshire, is how I miss the Porsche on these great roads. Earlier on this year I very nearly traded the Boxster in for a BMW 335 - and having used my trusty 123d these last two weeks it has made me realise that these wonderful roads are, well, just roads in any other car! Smiley

I'll be interested to see how the non PASM 18" wheeled Cayman compares with the 19" PASM cars I've had up to now. Smiley One of the "should I shouldn't I" debates I've been having with myself when deciding on spec. Some say the PASM gives a slightly artificial feel compared with conventional suspension - is that one of the reasons you went for -20mm suspension in your car? I see on 997.2 the -20mm suspension is now PASM equipped and certainly not well reported on in Autocar's Carrera road test, so certainly sounds inferior to the 997.1 -20mm set up. 

--

When I had a Boxster S and happened to drive a 997 sometimes, I felt little uneasy in the rear engined car and I needed time to acclimatize. The Boxster is very natural in its handling. So don't judge the 997 after a short test drive. There is a learning curve with these cars. BTW the 997.2 IMO is much ahead of the 997.1 in handling.

I also like the bigger interior space of the 911, not so much for any reasons of accommodation but the cabin is and feels more airy and less confined, factors that give a better driving ambiance.

As regards PASM, if you consider that the latest GT cars are so equipped, you can see that PASM suspension has been developed a lot since 2004-05 so as to make conventional shock absorbers redundant.

--

"Form follows function"

DC, the steering feel, feedback, razor sharp precision and handling of the 997.1 -20mm are really amazing. Choosing it has been a decision I have never regretted and this explains why I am so reluctant to part with this car. Futch has kept his -20mm 997.1 despite having so many amazing Porsches in his stable. Carlos from Spain and others also love it. Personally, I much prefer the -20mm sports suspension on my 997.1 compared to the PASM on the 997.2.

Carlos from Spain sums up the merits of the 997.1 -20mm sports suspension:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/103145/Finally_my_20mm_997S_impressions_and_review/page1.html

My impressions of the 997.2 Normal PASM compared to -20mm on 997.1

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/457967/Re_Mk2_997__PDE_Silverstone_8708/page1.html#p457967

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

It amazes me then that Porsche stopped offering the -20mm 997.1 version on any of their current cars

Their engineers and test drivers must be totally off the mark.

--

"Form follows function"

easy_rider911:

DC, the steering feel, feedback, razor sharp precision and handling of the 997.1 -20mm are really amazing. Choosing it has been a decision I have never regretted and this explains why I am so reluctant to part with this car. Futch has kept his -20mm 997.1 despite having so many amazing Porsches in his stable. Carlos from Spain and others also love it. Personally, I much prefer the -20mm sports suspension on my 997.1 compared to the PASM on the 997.2.

Carlos from Spain sums up the merits of the 997.1 -20mm sports suspension:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/103145/Finally_my_20mm_997S_impressions_and_review/page1.html

My impressions of the 997.2 Normal PASM compared to -20mm on 997.1

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/457967/Re_Mk2_997__PDE_Silverstone_8708/page1.html#p457967

Easy, you can not compare normal PASM of the 997.2 with the -20mm sport suspension of the 997.1.

The -20mm sport  PASM of the 997.2 is directly derived from the one from the GT3 and it has nothing to compare with the normal PASM. It is razor sharp and excellent as well . 

As you know I have owned both

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

@Gnil: Sure Gnil - my thread relates to when the 997.2 was launched. Obviously, we now have the benefit of seeing what the 997.2 -20mm PASM based sports suspension is like.

@reginos: PASM based -20mm sports suspension is available - PAG just stopped making -20mm conventionally sprung sports suspension ... I guess they invested a lot of money in PASM and decided to roll it out across the model range ...

--

RT Moderator 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774602 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440204 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262001 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260265 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84810 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879288 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814080 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM