Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Speedster per EVO

Whether one likes it, or not, I'm sure Porsche will sell everyone they build.

I'm not fond of this shape but it's not a surprise because this is the shape of the traditional 911 Speedster since the late 80s

Look at this 964 and the older 3.2 Carrera

speedster.jpg

1285083133221speedster2.jpg
    --

"Form follows function"

Agree with you completely.  Odd that Porsche AG is clearly trying to milk what's left of the cow and could likely sell a good number of Speedsters priced +10k over a conventional Cab.  GTS is nice but a highly functional Speedster with a working top would be nicer, and (it seems as though) GTS and all other 997 residuals are poised to implode with next gen 991 imminent.  Obviously this car is for a small number of collectors. 

Guys, the reason why Speedster and Sport Classic is so expensive is because 1) they are limited edition cars with very small production numbers, and 2) they come with so much equipment that a similarly specced GTS would not be that much cheaper!

WAY:

Guys, the reason why Speedster and Sport Classic is so expensive is because 1) they are limited edition cars with very small production numbers, and 2) they come with so much equipment that a similarly specced GTS would not be that much cheaper!

In the case of the new Speedster I am happy that it is only limited to 365 units.  Can you imagine seeing bunch of these out in the streets Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Does anyone else find it  ironic that this $200K+  maximally optioned Porsche has as its namesake a 1950's "low cost" stripper requested of Porsche by the US distributor (Max Hoffman) so he could increase sales??  It would seem that for Porsche marketing the Speedster  appellation is now synonymous with "convince them it's an investment".  Have any of the previous Speedster iterations (911 or 964) attained "investment grade" status?

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

DaveC:

Does anyone else find it  ironic that this $200K+  maximally optioned Porsche has as its namesake a 1950's "low cost" stripper requested of Porsche by the US distributor (Max Hoffman) so he could increase sales??  It would seem that for Porsche marketing the Speedster  appellation is now synonymous with "convince them it's an investment".  Have any of the previous Speedster iterations (911 or 964) attained "investment grade" status?  

Putting aside the fact that no car should ever be bought as an investment (that's just a story affluent guys tell their wives so they don't also have to buy expensive jewellry at the same time as they indulge themeselves with a new toySmiley), I have known guys who cried in their beer because they didn't get their names down quickly enough for a limited-series Speedster.

There is a market for this model, even at the prices asked for it, so I guess we should be cheering the fact that the market is being served instead of being ignored due to its limited size. Nobody twists the buyers' arms.  Smiley

--

fritz

I think it's drop dead gorgeous (and pricey)

Most Porsche lines had a limited number of Speedsters that are all collectable by now,930,964,993 and now the 997,the 996 was too fugly and there wasn't much point in doing a Speedster imo

If the top operation is not too much of a torture i'd consider getting one for my wife Smiley

fritz:
    DaveC:

Putting aside the fact that no car should ever be bought as an investment (that's just a story affluent guys tell their wives so they don't also have to buy expensive jewellry at the same time as they indulge themeselves with a new toySmiley), I have known guys who cried in their beer because they didn't get their names down quickly enough for a limited-series Speedster.

There is a market for this model, even at the prices asked for it, so I guess we should be cheering the fact that the market is being served instead of being ignored due to its limited size. Nobody twists the buyers' arms.  Smiley

I generally agree, but there are those who do believe that money can be made buying certain cars.  Pre-collapse Ferrari comes to mind. 

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

...yet another fright pig from the folks at the vw/porsche design studios. the idea of using the word " speedster " related to this abomination is further evidence these people of lost not only their minds but more importantly their roots....loved the website which somehow neglected to show the top up , i always thought my 56 speedster looked fine with the top up....can't wait to see the obscene prices they will begin changing hands at sooon

This car is great - but the price... Smiley

fritz:
    DaveC:

I see you point - but then: if Porsche will do several limited editions for each of the 997 successors as well collectors will pile up these cars and after some time people will recognize that there are far too many "limited editions" - the concept of "limited" can only applied with limitations Smiley

MKSGR:

This car is great - but the price... Smiley

Another point: a collector's piece should be sold with manual gear box, if you ask me... In 20years time today's PDK will be very, very historical...

DaveC:
    fritz:
    DaveC:

Have any of the previous Speedster iterations (911 or 964) attained "investment grade" status?  

I generally agree, but there are those who do believe that money can be made buying certain cars.  Pre-collapse Ferrari comes to mind. 

Sure, you can make money on cars, but  the liklihood of making money on them, especially if you actually drive them, is generally less than on the stock market et al. Especially if you factor in the costs for renovation and maintenance of the cars.

You can make money on the Florida Lottery, but I have never heard anybody refer to it as an investment. Smiley  

--

fritz

sevoman:

An unattractive blue car with deformed buttocks which costs 20% more than a TurboS. Try getting a decent price for it in three years time... 

+1

Lars997:
    sevoman:

An unattractive blue car with deformed buttocks which costs 20% more than a TurboS. Try getting a decent price for it in three years time... 

+1

I agree about it being ugly, I personally don't like it. But its undeniable that a market for this car does exist, and those interested in it do pay a lot for it, imo because its an itch that is so rarely satisfied.

Hideous, overpriced ... GTS is the car to get right now :) 

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

easy_rider911:

Hideous, overpriced ... GTS is the car to get right now :) 

If one doesn't want to wait for the 991 then you are 100% right.

I take it that the roof is really ugly and difficult to erect, which is why we haven't seen one single pic of it yet.  I love the look of the Sppedster btw, just think the price is a little overboard.  I rather get a GT2RS (yeah I know, it's sold out, at least in Australia because we tried very hard to get one!).

WAY:

I take it that the roof is really ugly and difficult to erect, which is why we haven't seen one single pic of it yet.  I love the look of the Sppedster btw, just think the price is a little overboard.  I rather get a GT2RS (yeah I know, it's sold out, at least in Australia because we tried very hard to get one!).

I posted one above, albeit not very good.

--

Ah my apologies ResB. Doesn't look half bad with the roof up. So I take it the Speedster hump is just a cover then?

I actually really like this car.  I wish they would have released photos of the Speedster in the option Carrera White though.

--

'10 Ferrari California

Actually, I just discovered that you can see the Speedster in Carrera White via Porsche website.  Much better looking color for the car IMHO.

--

'10 Ferrari California

I just wanted to say the same - fully agree that it's totally overpriced but I like it very much to see in Black or White

price is just silly.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

DaveC:

+1!

I think this comes under the category of "How Stupid Do They Think We Are?"  Take a cabriolet, add a very ugly (presumably plastic) hump and reduce the windsheild and suddenly we're supposed to think it's a Speedster?

A true Speedster would essentially have to be a GT3 cab, lowered and sectioned, shortening it where the rear seats are now,  dramatically lightened. It wouldn't need a hump because the driver would sit lower on lighter racing shell seats and it would be so hard to put the top up that you wouldn't bother. You'd just drive faster to keep the rain off you.

AND it would have an interior of Alcantara.

--

Winning through radical experimentation.

I like it alot, great looking car, but the GTS is a far better buy, still...the 991 is the way to go

J.Seven

I am not turned off by its looks. However, how does Porsche price a car like this?

I assume they have a target profit margin and then add in percentage for limited production and buyer stupidity? At least with Ferrari with limited production you get performance. This car does not give you $250,000 sport car performance.Smiley

That said, I am sure Porsche probably has a pretty good idea who will buy this car and will have no problem selling all of them.

--

Take a C2S cab, add all the options that this car has, and you will get an idea how Porsche prices this.  It isn't that much of a premium if someone is crazy enough to want all those leather and stuff!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690844 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410081 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256160 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235381 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858758 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775048 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM