Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

CAR Middle East - X5 M vs. High Performance SUVs

These guys must be kidding. I don't argue about the Cayenne Turbo performance (although we already did a comparison and above 200 kph, the Cayenne Turbo slowly starts to fall back vs. the X5 M) but choosing the X5 M to be the worst overall high performance SUV in a group with an Infiniti FX is just ridiculous. I also don't understand how the writer of this report can say that the X5 M feels like as if can't take that much power, I actually feel the contrary.

I watched the YouTube video of this group "test" and I rather think that these guys were interested in good photo shots rather than a true performance/driving comparison.

A real shame and very unprofessional.

Judge for yourself:

http://www.carmiddleeast.com/article-2-1985-fast_suv_group_test/1/

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: CAR Middle East - X5 M vs. High Performance SUVs

I agree with you.

Infiniti is not even in the same class.

X5 M should finish #1 or 2 among this group.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4

Well i actually think the written report is quite well presented and the results are well motivated as per usual for Car,it is what it is ... 

hugo:

Well i actually think the written report is quite well presented and the results are well motivated as per usual for Car,it is what it is ... 

Says somebody who owns a Cayenne Turbo... Smiley

I drove them all and especially the Cayenne Turbo and X5M in comparison and the description of the X5 M is just completely wrong. It is actually the first review I read about the X5 M stating this bull. Most reviews I read actually confirm my experience with the X5 M.

The only thing they are right with, is that the X5 M starts off faster than the Cayenne Turbo but from 0-200 kph, there is already a 0.2 seconds gap between both in favor of the X5 M and even if this is actually nothing, at speeds from 200 to aprox. 240 kph, the X5 M is already one car length ahead. They also don't mention that there is a 275 kph speed limit raise available as an option for the X5 M.

Claiming that the X5 M feels "overpowered" with that 555 HP engine is just ridiculous. On the contrary, the engine "feels" more like 350 HP or so, I need to look on the speedo to realize on how fast the car is actually moving, especially when accelerating. The brakes are absolutely great too, I drove with a fully loaded X5 M several times at very high speeds and never had any complaints about the brake. You should actually experience the brake system of my wife's M3 Cab DKG in comparison, a catastrophy on four wheels, horrible.

Btw: my ranking would be first place for the Cayenne Turbo and second place for the X5 M, despite the fact that I consider the X5 M to be the better bang for the buck like we say here. Smiley The X5 M interior is indeed a bit boring and BMW could have achieved a sportier chassis setup, especially with different tires. On the other hand, the Runflat tires have a huge advantage, especially in Romania. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Well i wouldn't take this too seriously RC. I appreciate their attempt but they were clearly biased towards some cars.

The Infinity is two level/classes lower at least, apple and oranges.

I do have to say that the Cayenne looks fantastic next to the X5M 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Ok,you are right,the BMW is better than the Infinity...

hugo:

...and faster than the Cayenne...even if only by a little margin... Smiley Smiley

--

Atzporsche:

Well i wouldn't take this too seriously RC. I appreciate their attempt but they were clearly biased towards some cars.

The Infinity is two level/classes lower at least, apple and oranges.

I do have to say that the Cayenne looks fantastic next to the X5M 

The X5 M looks more like the classic (US ?) SUV, while the Cayenne is the modern interpretation of the sporty SUV. This is actually what BMW tried to achieve with the X6 but I prefer the X5 M for various reasons, incl. the larger trunk and of course the more subtle look.

--

RC:
    hugo:

...and faster than the Cayenne...even if only by a little margin... Smiley Smiley

yeah,my dad is stronger than your dad

hugo:
    RC:
    hugo:

No big deal, my dad is 86. Smiley Smiley

I doubt that you bought a Cayenne Turbo because it is green, beautiful or of great traditional value. You bought it, hopefully, for superior performance. Smiley

--

RC:
    hugo:
    RC:
    hugo:

No big deal, my dad is 86. Smiley Smiley

I doubt that you bought a Cayenne Turbo because it is green, beautiful or of great traditional value. You bought it, hopefully, for superior performance. Smiley

--

I think he bought it because it's the better car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

I think he bought it because it's the better car. Smiley

Define betterSmiley Smiley

--

RC, regarding the advantage of the runflats on the Romanian roads - I think it's the contrary. I live in Bulgaria where we have pretty much the same terrible roads. The runflats are a huge problem for many BMW owners here - especially those with the X5 M-sport option and the 20"/325 rear tires. The runflats might be considered safer but they deform very badly on poor roads. Another problem is that their strong side walls transfer more of the shock's energy  from the road to the suspension causing its quicker amortization and bad comfort.

So, for our region my choice would be something like LC200 V8 :)

Just about the decision between x5 m or ml 63 amg had a testdrive in both and still not sur For me the ml looks better than the m and the sound of the ml is really nice i like As well the 21 inche tyres On the other hand the x5 is just the newer car but maybee to mutch understatment for me the additional power on the testdrive of the x5 i didnt remarke (switzerland) but he feels harder on the Suspension than the ml So it is gone be a hard decision Car well Be my daily driver. For good weather still have the gt2

Herbaliser:

RC, regarding the advantage of the runflats on the Romanian roads - I think it's the contrary. I live in Bulgaria where we have pretty much the same terrible roads. The runflats are a huge problem for many BMW owners here - especially those with the X5 M-sport option and the 20"/325 rear tires. The runflats might be considered safer but they deform very badly on poor roads. Another problem is that their strong side walls transfer more of the shock's energy  from the road to the suspension causing its quicker amortization and bad comfort.

So, for our region my choice would be something like LC200 V8 :)

The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport is a sport tire, not really an off-road or even heavy duty tire. The "deformation" actually isn't a specific RFT problem (despite the stiffer side walls) but a problem of the overall bad roads over there. So I would actually prefer having a RFT tire in Romania/Bulgaria, even if this means that I have to deal with "deformation" problems which of course result in nervous steering behaviour and other issues. I had three flat tires in Romania, never ever had one in Germany or any other country I was driving in (which of course doesn't mean it can't happen but...).

I also remember that a collegue was driving 160 kph on the "Autobahn" from Bucharest to Pitesti when he hit a pothole (which hasn't been there a couple of days earlier, my collegue was driving this route pretty often) and the rim (!) of his Mercedes stationwagon broke and he barely escaped this without hitting something. A warning was issued that recommended steel rims instead of alloy rims but even at that time, most high quality cars had alloy rims as standard and there was no way to get steel rims.  Smiley

I agree, none of the current luxury high performance SUVs is actually made for very bad roads but I guess nobody with money in Romania would actually drive around in an ARO. Smiley

As to ride comfort: yes, RFT tires provide less comfort, especially on bad roads and the air suspension of the Cayenne Turbo surely is a plus regarding that. On the other hand, I said it before, I would probably drive a modded BRABUS G class in Romania, black with dark tinted windows (for "pschological" reasons Smiley). BRABUS offers special heavy duty packages at demand, incl. huge power upgrades and special tires. Since top speed isn't really important in Romania/Bulgaria, I would choose a 700 HP Brabus G-class, heavy duty modded, over actually ANY SUV on the market. As a hint: 0-100 kph in 4.3 seconds, the right heavy duty truck for bad roads where top speed isn't really important.

In the last year of duty, I was driving an ISUZU Trooper 2.7 TD instead of my former Lancia Delta HF Integrale or Mercedes 190E 2.6 because of the bad roads. I can't say that it really helped, after strong rain falls, I drove through high water and "destroyed" my frontlights and half of the electrical system. Smiley

Unfortunately the Brabus G V12 S Biturbo costs around 350000 EUR, so maybe it would be the better choice to buy a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a BMW X5 M and drive them both instead. Smiley

--

Dario:
    Just about the decision between x5 m or ml 63 amg had a testdrive in both and still not sur For me the ml looks better than the m and the sound of the ml is really nice i like As well the 21 inche tyres On the other hand the x5 is just the newer car but maybee to mutch understatment for me the additional power on the testdrive of the x5 i didnt remarke (switzerland) but he feels harder on the Suspension than the ml So it is gone be a hard decision Car well Be my daily driver. For good weather still have the gt2

The ML63 AMG has a fantastic engine/exhaust sound but performance, not only straight line, isn't at par with the X5 M. It is also the "older" car, a new model should be imminent as soon as Mercedes presents the new M class.

Ride comfort never was an issue for me on the X5 M but I have to admit that it is stiffer than for example the Cayenne Turbo S I owned. Air suspension is only available on the rear axle of the X5 M for height compensation.

I actually liked the Audi Q5 a lot. Yesterday I had the chance to drive the 3.0 TDi with 240 HP and S-tronic (7 gears I think ?) and it felt extremely fast in the city. The engine has 500 Nm of torque, I can really see why people are happy with this little SUV. One of my customers who owns this thing had a ML 320 (older model) before and he says it feels like heaven driving the Q5  now. I can see why. With a 300+ HP Diesel engine, the Q5 would be a blast. I would even take it with the 333 HP supercharged V6. Smiley I think Audi is missing an opportunity here.

Two major reasons regarding my decision for the X5 M were stealth look and of course money. I paid aprox. 30000 EUR less than for a similar equipped Cayenne Turbo (after rebate on both models), this is a lot of money. Since the X5 M is my family car and not my fun car, it wasn't really difficult to make the right decision. For a fun car,  I probably wouldn't have looked at cost that closely. Smiley

--

Cant judge the q5 but had a drive in the q7 v12 a massive car but to big and to haevy for my taste So first i thought the rs6 avant would be my car but i just don't like how he looks like if the rs4 would have the v10 biturbo engine that would be the car for me. So i ended up on this 2 SUV ml 63 or x5 m and i have to make a decision soon. The new ml amg will not arrive bevor middle of 12 so it would still work for me as i don't want to keep it to long. I completly agree that the x5 is the modern car and therefor propably better but in the end it is also a question of test

Does it have to be a SUV or a 4WD ? Before choosing the X5 M, I was thinking about getting a Mercedes C63 AMG with Performance Package. One of our admins is driving a C63 AMG and he loves this car, despite the other high performance cars he owns and drives.

The C63 AMG is a very impressive performer (Panamera Turbo level) for little money and it is fun to drive. The engine/exhaust sound is out of this world, very very seductive. I also got an excellent offer from my local Mercedes dealer and the only reason I didn't go for it was actually my wife: she said that this isn't the right car for travelling with two kids, especially in winter time. Maybe she is right but the performance was impressive.

My dealer asked 930 EUR (incl. VAT) per month for a 36 months lease and 10000 km per year, without any down payment. I'm still thinking about this offer with regret.

--

This offer isnt bad at all but i need 4 wdrive due to the Mountains so i think SUV will be the car for me as i just don't like the look of the rs6

The latest Australian Motor magazine has a much better comparison. I'll scan it later if I can.

maybe they have mistaken the infinity for the cayenne ?

was driving behind the new cayenne for a lenghty period yesterday and the car just looks off imo.

if i would not know that it is a cayenne, i might have surely thought that is a new lexus.

guess that's why they put the big porsche lettering across the back lid now

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Lexus? You are being kind. Many who don't know cars would think it is a Hyundai!

I totally agree.  I don't even put infiniti FX in the same category.

--
    Happy Driving

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765089 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437045 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261303 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258137 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877332 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809548 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM