Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

--

racerx:

It also has a unique treatment in the back seat area similar to the GT3, no seats carpeted shelves. 

I think they have missed a trick here. One reason that prevented a lot of people going down the GT3 track was the need to put kids in the back of the car occasionally.

If your in the market for a new 911 this is an extremely desirable offering both in terms of equipment and pricing.  The new model in a year or so may or may not offer as much "value" in exchange for more "newness".  It depends on one's priorities.

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

Very interesting. However, I prefer the narrow body, and I prefer regular leather to all that alcantara. I imagine the latter can be "optioned out"...

Looks like Porsche has started to adopt Lamborghini's strategy regarding the special editions ...  :-)

--
    Gallardo MY '06 with GruppeM (05/2006) BMW 330d (09/2007)

cdixon:
    racerx:

It also has a unique treatment in the back seat area similar to the GT3, no seats carpeted shelves. 

I think they have missed a trick here. One reason that prevented a lot of people going down the GT3 track was the need to put kids in the back of the car occasionally.

You still can have the rear seats as NCO

Edit-  Difficult configurator - ordered contrasting paint model designation on the back (997 GTS in red)and no side designation

Best bang for the buck in a 997

1284569446291997 gts.jpg

997 gtsa.jpg

Well the GTS has certainly got my interest, particularly given the number of options that are now standard. I am looking forward to a test drive when it arrived here in the States...

--
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

Wow what a great offering from Porsche. Besides it cleaning out their shelves quite nicely, it is still going to be a beautiful 911. The price with those options is certainly going to keep sales up. I wonder if now we might not get to see the 991 for another year..

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

KresoF1:

Hmm... I like it a lot. Turbo S and Carrera GTS are my favourite 997.2 models.

I agree Smiley

It makes perfect sense. I would have wanted to buy this car if I hadn't bought my M3.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Quite a bargain for the price and its got all the right sport options but its too late in the lifespan of the 997, they should have rolled out this model at the start and then it would be worth it.

But that's the whole point of the excercise. 

A "special model" which is perceived as a bargain creates sales at a time when the production line would otherwise have to be slowed down, but without the heavy discounting of the list prices of  "standard" models which would result in residual values being undermined and create the expectation that prices of the successors will also be discounted.

Absolutely agree. This has been " Car Marketing 101 " for every manufacturer probably since the ....Ford Model T .

Smiley

Guys, no matter what you think about the 997 Carrera GTS but I honestly think that this car is an amazing offer from Porsche and shouldn't be ignored, even by those who are looking at the next generation 911, the 991.

Let me see, for 6000 EUR more compared to the 997 Carrera S, the buyer gets the following:

1. wider body (not necessarily an advantage from a weight point of view but it looks meaner)

2. optional 90 l fuel tank (cost free)

3. 408 HP powerkit incl. the Porsche Sport Exhaust

4. painted (!) RS Spyder wheels with central lock

5. Alcantara interior

6. 0-100 kph in 4.2 seconds (PDK, Sport Chrono) and 0-160 kph in 9.1 seconds (look it up, this is almost 997 Turbo Mk I territory)

7. optional rear seats (original car has none)

Sorry guys but I think that the Carrera GTS is the best offer Porsche had for a very long time. Of course this is an end-of-life cycle model but being something very special at a very attractive price tag, I actually think that this car will retain a certain value, even after the 991 will be introduced.

Add some options for let's say another 9000 EUR (PDK, sport bucket seats, LSD and Sport Chrono) and you have a very good, fast and attractive Porsche for aprox. 117000 EUR incl. 19% german VAT.

Unfortunately this absolutely great offer from Porsche also proves how much they ripped off Carrera Sport Classic customers. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Aside from the CSC customer rip-offs (sorry),  I have no hesitation in considering this to be the best Porsche offer ever!!

I've already contacted my dealer.  I shall be meeting them tomorrow having already staked a claim for the first delivery, so long as it matches my given specifications.  If it doesn't I'll be placing an order for one that does...

Say what you will about new models (991) - there's a lot to be said for taking the final offering from the current, well established, model range.  The wrinkles have been fully ironed out....no more teething problems at the outset of a new launch and, frankly, even if the 991 equates to perfection (no chance) then I shall be more than happy to own the top-end of a road-going NA 911-997 daily drive...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Color and specs ^^   I think this is a good move, the more unique the better.

RC:Sorry guys but I think that the Carrera GTS is the best offer Porsche had for a very long time. Of course this is an end-of-life cycle model but being something very special at a very attractive price tag, I actually think that this car will retain a certain value, even after the 991 will be introduced.

Add some options for let's say another 9000 EUR (PDK, sport bucket seats, LSD and Sport Chrono) and you have a very good, fast and attractive Porsche for aprox. 117000 EUR incl. 19% german VAT.

Unfortunately this absolutely great offer from Porsche also proves how much they ripped off Carrera Sport Classic customers. 

Christian,

I totally agree with you. Tonight I configure a GTS for me, just for fun and I selected exactly the same options you had written: PDK + SC + GT2 buckets + LSD and some little extras. Car came out 115K euro incl. VAT.

Very good value. It is the best bang for the buck in 911 line up besides GT3 and Turbo S Smiley

And it is true, 911 Sport Classic owners were ripped off. But Porshce had no difficulty on selling 250 units SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

RC:

Sorry guys but I think that the Carrera GTS is the best offer Porsche had for a very long time. Of course this is an end-of-life cycle model but being something very special at a very attractive price tag, I actually think that this car will retain a certain value, even after the 991 will be introduced.

I think the GT3 is still a better value (for about the same price) and will retain more value in the future.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Wow John H, good for you. So I guess that it's a good thing after all that the white one got sold

Oh, and your thinking is spot on Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

I too agree with RC, i think due to the overall package and being the end cycle model of a successful 997 series, the GTS will definitely hold its value in the future. well compared to C and CS

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

John H:

Aside from the CSC customer rip-offs (sorry),  I have no hesitation in considering this to be the best Porsche offer ever!!

I've already contacted my dealer.  I shall be meeting them tomorrow having already staked a claim for the first delivery, so long as it matches my given specifications.  If it doesn't I'll be placing an order for one that does...

Say what you will about new models (991) - there's a lot to be said for taking the final offering from the current, well established, model range.  The wrinkles have been fully ironed out....no more teething problems at the outset of a new launch and, frankly, even if the 991 equates to perfection (no chance) then I shall be more than happy to own the top-end of a road-going NA 911-997 daily drive...

Absolutely agree. Smiley

Many congrats, great car you won't regret. Let us know your spec. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Grant:
    RC:

I think the GT3 is still a better value (for about the same price) and will retain more value in the future.

Let me see:

1. do I get a rear seat option on the GT3 ? Officially ? Nope. In some countries, it is even not possible to re-certify the GT3 with rear seats.

2. do I get the PDK option on the GT3 ? Very important for those who drive a lot in the city and/or let their wife drive too.

3. do I get a Cab option on the GT3 ? I guess I don't have to add anything here.

Bottom line is: of course the GT3 is an excellent offer but for those who need something more of a daily driver, the GTS is an excellent offer too.

I also think that while the GTS is not limited in numbers, this model won't be available for long because of the 991 production start early 2011. It could actually be more limited in production numbers than the GT2 RS, as weird as this may sound, depending on the number of deliveries until the production of the 997 actually stops.

If my wife's M3 Cab lease would run out this year, I would probably get a 997 Carrera GTS Cab PDK for her (and for me of course Smiley) instead of the 991, the offer is just too good. Unfortunately her lease runs out in 2012, so I can't go for it and I (she) need(s) to go for the 991 Carrera (S) Cab. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    Grant:
    RC:

Let me see:

1. do I get a rear seat option on the GT3 ? Officially ? Nope. In some countries, it is even not possible to re-certify the GT3 with rear seats.

2. do I get the PDK option on the GT3 ? Very important for those who drive a lot in the city and/or let their wife drive too.

3. do I get a Cab option on the GT3 ? I guess I don't have to add anything here.

Bottom line is: of course the GT3 is an excellent offer but for those who need something more of a daily driver, the GTS is an excellent offer too.

I also think that while the GTS is not limited in numbers, this model won't be available for long because of the 991 production start early 2011. It could actually be more limited in production numbers than the GT2 RS, as weird as this may sound, depending on the number of deliveries until the production of the 997 actually stops.

If my wife's M3 Cab lease would run out this year, I would probably get a 997 Carrera GTS Cab PDK for her (and for me of course Smiley) instead of the 991, the offer is just too good. Unfortunately her lease runs out in 2012, so I can't go for it and I (she) need(s) to go for the 991 Carrera (S) Cab. 

--

Good points...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

The only problem with the GTS name is that since the 993 GT (known as GT2) the use of the GT letters was reserved for the more hardcore supersport  911s.

With the new Carrera GTS, the GT prefix on a 911 is just another marketing name like the 928 GTS and the Cayenne GTS and therefore its charisma is somewhat diluted.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos: just another marketing name like the 928 GTS 

There is nothing diluted about the best GT Porsche ever built, nor was it marketing, it was the model designation for 4 years. Porsche may have milked it slightly for the Cayenne and even here, but I believe this model is the ultimate RWD NA 911 and therefore deserves to use the GTS name.

I can think of only 2 GT's that equal or surpass the 928 and both cost more than most homes.

racerx:

I believe this model is the ultimate RWD NA 911 and therefore deserves to use the GTS name.

Ultimate RWD NA 911?  Better than the GT3RS, GT3, and Sport Classic (price independent)?

--

The 928 GT and GTS , though very competent and superb cars were not in the GT spirit of the hardcore 911s that started with the 993 GT or the  supercars in the GT1 and the Carrera GT mould or road versions of racing cars like the 924 Carrera GT.

What I'm saying is that the GT moniker should have been reserved for very special models and not to be given freely to various other Porsche cars no matter how good they might be.

--

"Form follows function"

Grant:
    racerx:

I believe this model is the ultimate RWD NA 911 and therefore deserves to use the GTS name.

Ultimate RWD NA 911?  Better than the GT3RS, GT3, and Sport Classic (price independent)?

Sport classic - 5 less Hp. 0-60 4.6 vs. 4.2 for the GTS!  price and cute little wing are negatives

GT3 and GT3RS are for Johnny Jumpsuit. You know the guy who drives FLAT-TOUT. I have said it before and I am not alone - Big wings on street cars are silly at best. Tough to be taken seriously, add in those graphics and that's why resale bites. Not to mention somewhat harsh ride.

The 4.2 0-60 of the GTS is just a tenth behind a stradale. It has the wide butt W/O THE WING which looks exotic and classy at the same time. It has all the best tech Porsche can shove into a street car and it has a great look. I would consider the Sport Classic FUCHS wheels on the GTS though if I were buying 1.

reginos:

The 928 GT and GTS , though very competent and superb cars were not in the GT spirit of the hardcore 911s that started with the 993 GT or the  supercars in the GT1 and the Carrera GT mould or road versions of racing cars like the 924 Carrera GT.

What I'm saying is that the GT moniker should have been reserved for very special models and not to be given freely to various other Porsche cars no matter how good they might be.

--

"Form follows function"

GT1 and 924 Carrera GT were pure racing cars.Smiley CGT a limited production hypercar.

Porsche builds STREET cars to supplement its on-again off-again racing - just the opposite of maranello. GTS IS a special designation created by the best road car Porsche has yet to sell, this 911 seems up to it.

racerx:

Sport classic - 5 less Hp. 0-60 4.6 vs. 4.2 for the GTS!  price and cute little wing are negatives

The Sport Classic does not have 5hp less.  Both the Sport Classic and GTS use the identical Powerkit that is available on every Carrers S.  You may see a small variation in the spec depending on whether it's PS, DIN, or SAE Net Hp...

--

i too think this is introduced too late. most porschephiles will look towards 991

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Spyderidol:

New Top Carrera with Wide Body, Additional Power, and Rear-Wheel Drive

Stuttgart. With a power output of 408 hp, outstanding vehicle dynamics and emphatically sporty equipment, the new 911 Carrera GTS ascends to the pinnacle of the Carrera model series.

Shawminator:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/16/frankfurt-2009-porsche-911-sport-classic-shares-a-funky-tail-f/

"The seriously limited edition Porsche 911 Sport Classic -- for Porsche, at least -- makes our nostalgic tails wag, even though the gray exterior color is difficult to pin down and we couldn't get over the feeling when we checked out the Espresso-hued internals that we were looking at an entirely different car.

Even after all that, though, we weren't put off: what could have been a regrettable voyage to schmaltzy contrivances actually shapes up with modern purpose. Buyers can expect to be enchanted by vented tail, booming exhaust pipes, and Fuchs wheels, and more than adequately propelled by the 403 hp out back. The appreciation on its €169,300 ($240,702 USD) purchase price began yesterday"

I suppose the conversion makes sense Grant, but I am only as good as my sources - saw it else where also.

Intouch - that is precisely why it will be collectible.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM