"Form follows function"

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

reginos:
    Spyderidol:

Yes, shes gorgeous topless!...and that rear! big_booty_gif.gif

The pipes are missing Smiley

The "pipe" must "come" from someone else... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Dasein:

Thanks reginos!
    Darn difficult decision choosing between the Can and the Coupe.  Already know the Coupe is the nicer looking of the two but I have a Coupe now and the Cab would be a nice change.

--
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Henry David Thoreau

I don't know in your area how often you can drive with the top down. If very frequently get a Cab. If not get the Coupe which is more classic, more rigid, less noisy, offers more space, offers more security and you don't have the trouble to remove all sorts of dirt from the fabric as quickly as possible.

IMO a Cab is worth it if it hardly gets closed.

--

"Form follows function"

Whew, there's some junk in that trunk!
    :)
    I live in the southern US reginos, mountains of western North Carolina so top down is available all but maybe 3 or 4 months out of the year and even some top down days happen during our "cold" months.  I have a Cab on order, I think I'll just be happy with it.

--
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Henry David Thoreau

Dasein:

Whew, there's some junk in that trunk!
    I live in the southern US reginos, mountains of western North Carolina so top down is available all but maybe 3 or 4 months out of the year and even some top down days happen during our "cold" months.  I have a Cab on order, I think I'll just be happy with it.

Great choice then Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

The cab looks grate ..and It seems to be the right choose for you 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hi Gnil,
    Thanks.
    Hope you've been doing well.
    Don

--

Allright, gang.

I have also decided to go for the GTS Coupe (sort of).

It was possible for me to arrange a deal with my Porsche Dealer: i configure the GTS according to my own specs, the car is being ordered (Jan delivery) and if i dont take it, the dealership takes it as a demo car without any obligations from my side. The good thing is that i get to specify the car 100% to my wishes and  decide on the GTS once its here (maybe a bit earlier), but i dont HAVE to take it.

Background info for this deal: i have some outstanding business deals, which should be on track by december-jan.

I will post my Specs tomorrow, but in general is a lot like Johns

The GTS should be speeced more sporty than my Cayman S (including colors, interior trim and technical features), without making it hard to live on a Day to day basis. I drive my Porsche as a DD, maybe 2 trackdays, but we do have fantastic country roads over here

Main concern is the Sport PASM (incl. LSD, which i would take anyway). My Cayman S (pre FL) is equipped with normal PASM and i find it quite fine on the normal setting, but too hars on Sport (without providing any felt benefit other than stiffness).

So my question is: how "bad" is the Sport PASM on normal setting? Is Sport PASM in normal setting same as/softer/harder as (normal) PASM in sport setting?

Generally speaking i have the feeling that the 911 is a bit softer than the Cayman S. This observation is based on a test drive, where i switched from my car with PASM to a 911 (also with PASM) and it just felt softer in the same setting.

All help is very very wellcome, and i hope to hear as much as possible on this...i have to decide by this wednesday on the final cofiguration.

Looking forward to all Your input!

thx

Nick

This is probably in poor taste BUT does anyone think that demand for this vehicle will outstrip supply meaning one could possibly order a GTS (as I have) then offer it for sale immediately upon receipt and make a profit?  If my question offends anyone I do apologize but keep in mind I now have a beautiful 2009 Porsche Carrera white coupe that I'm really fond of.

--

Don - it is possible, as with all potentially limited editions.  But somehow I don't think you will want to part with it.. once you've seen it.

My dealer took a £3,000 refundable deposit when I ordered mine a month ago.  They said that, in the event of me changing my mind, they'd have zero problem in selling the GTS, particularly one so well specced!  There was never any mention of.. "at a premium price"

The best thing I think can happen is that depreciation on the GTS will be considerably lower than with a conventional C2 or C2S... that, in itself, is a very real positive when purchasing a new car..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thanks John, 
    I agree with your assessment that I won't want to part with the GTS once it arrives.
    Maybe I'll win the lottery and can have BOTH a Cab and a Coupe.
    No gluttony here.
    Don

--

Received email confirmation last (11/10) night my 2011 GTS is officially ordered!  January 2011 build.  The waiting begins!!

--

Congrats

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Great news Don..

--

UH-OH!  Same (excellent) dealer has a 2011 911 Carrera Turbo S and now I'm thinking a Turbo S in the garage in a few days might be better than a GTS in January or February.

Porsche Turbo S Wally 3.jpg

Take a look.  Any opinions?
    http://hilton-head.porschedealer.com/new/Porsche/911+Turbo+S+Cabriolet/2011/GT+Silver+Metallic/silver/637059/info.php

--

Don - is the Turbo S new or pre-owned and what colour is that... GT silver?

It seems well specced including PCCB brakes, so I guess the price hike will be considerable.  But you will have the very top end of the range. Smiley

Depends on the deal, but I'd say if everything falls into place...go for it..Smiley

I considered one a few months ago, but one drive in the Turbo (not even an S) convinced me I'd lose my licence in no time...1290425299682Forehead slap.gif

--

You can´t even compare those two Smiley if money is no object, go for it, the Turbo S provides a all new driving dimension the GTS never will. This S looks great, it has the sports seat (a must) and even the right wheels , don´t you even think twice Smiley

J.Seven

Thanks John and J.  It's a new 2011 Turbo S.  GT Silver Metallic, Stone Grey full leather interior, grey top.  The top is already showing some wrinkles as any non-black top will BUT the GT Silver, Stone Grey, and grey top sure look nice together.  Here's the list of options on it:

XXB - Door Entry Guard SS Illum
    CJX - Floor Mat w/Leather Surround
    686 - XM Radio
    342 - Heated Seats - Front

XSH - Seat Belts in Silver Grey
    EAZ - Exterior Package Painted
    XNS - Steering Column Casing-Leather
    XME - Rear Console Exterior Color
    XES - Prep for Illum Door Sill Guard
    XDP - Instrument Surround Ext Color
    XSC - Porsche Crest on Headrests

Porsche Turbo S Wally 1.jpg

--

Get it Don. The extra power will help going up all the mountain roads near your home and the fadeless brakes will come in handy going down the same roads. Plus you need to keep up with the joneses' there was/is a rennteamer just over the border in TN that has a newish turbo if memory serves.

How ironic the fastest porsche at a dealership where getting out of 1st gear would be an accomplishment.

Dasein:

Thanks John and J.  It's a new 2011 Turbo S.  GT Silver Metallic, Stone Grey full leather interior, grey top.  The top is already showing some wrinkles as any non-black top will BUT the GT Silver, Stone Grey, and grey top sure look nice together.  Here's the list of options on it:

686 - XM Radio

With those specs what are you waiting for Smiley ....Having siad that, I do find the GTS cleaner lines much more charming than TTS 

As to price difference, phrase in your signature says it all Smiley

J.Seven

Dasein:

686 - XM Radio

Perfect colour combination, perfect specs, perfect car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The turbo has the central-locking wheels, which are PITA to remove and re-attach. So if you're in the camp of people who like to keep their car and especially wheels clean, that's something to be aware of. You need a special torque-wrench for these.

On second look, the car also has PCCB. So the need to clean them frequently should be much lower...

Apart from this (no deal-breaking imho) and provided that you're not a frequent-track-flyer, I'd say go for it. It is looking great.

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Turbo S has PCCB as standard.

If one has (test-)driven a Turbo before, then the answer to the question GTS or Turbo S should come very easy. Luckily, if one has the funds to support either way, then the stomach should rule...and, perhaps to put in a more specific comment to this thread - my concern would also be the PCCBs, but if the car is used as a daily driver - wow, what a beautiful (low-profil) supersportscar !

I am of a like mind J, have to prefer the clean lines of the GTS over the Turbo S.  GTS got a nice write-up here:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Porsche-911-3.8-Carrera-GTS/254247/

Porsche Turbo S Cab Grey 10.jpg

--

There are more experienced people that can report about the dynamic differences between the Carrera S / GTS and the Turbo. While the engine sound and turbolag have certainly improved on the latter, the naturally aspirated engine clearly has its advantages there.

The pictured Turbo S has a gorgeous exterior but I personally would want a more individualized interior, at least the door finishers, seatbelt outlets and PDK concole in leather.

Sounds like a lovely car - personally I prefer the GT Silver/Cocoa combination more (it's a nice contrast) but GT Silver/Stone Grey should still look very attractive too

Fundamentally the GTS and the TTS offer very different driving experiences. A 408PS normally aspirated car vs a 530PS turbo-charged missile

I like the NA experience - it's wonderful to modulate the accelerator pedal round corners applying just the right amount of power to stay within the limits of adhesion. In a TTS, I can imagine that it's harder to balance on that limit because there is simply so much power. That's why I am thinking about perhaps getting a GT3 in the future.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpgEasy RT Sig Pt 2.jpgEasy RT Sig Pt 3.jpg

"My" 2011 GTS Cab (order) is available (January build) at:
    Porsche of Hilton Head

107 Drivers Way
    Hardeeville, SC 29927
    Main 843-208-3300

Fax 843-208-5008

--

I'd wait got the GTS

Just had an apologetic dealer on the phone saying it's unlikely my GTS will be ready for the December pick-up they had anticipated...

I ordered the car over 2 months ago and apparently the build hasn't even started yet...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688147 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408528 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234690 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65322 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857433 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM