Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

John H:
    reginos:

But if  what you want is an all white car, then you have to also order the edges of the side skirts and the lower edges of the front and rear bumpers in body colour. They are black as standard

I had thought of that but, when I tried it in the configurator, I preferred them black.

BTW - There are options for side skirts and front but not rear bumpers..Smiley

It's possible to  have the small area at the lower edge of the rear bumper painted in body colour (see arrow in picture) to match with painted side skirts and painted front spoiler lip.

Part of the face of the rear bumper is always black, a GTS trademark.

rear bumper.JPG

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks Reginos...that didn't show on my UK configurator..

Still think I may prefer them in black however - to my eye the car looks sleeker somehow..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I like the contrast with black too.

A possible benefit of painted lower sills is that they are easier to clean. Often black plastic parts especially those with rough finish tend to become discoloured from exposure to road grime.

The German configurator has all the optional extras. Others tend to omit many of the  options from Exclusive

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

If you want to buy the GTS, try to make a good deal. Don't let dealers take you for a fool. Smiley 911 sales have slowed down and dealers need to move more cars.

I'm not sure that, unlike the established 997 Carrera range, there is much leeway for negotiation with the GTS..Smiley

As you know I've placed an early deposit and specced a December delivery with my usual OPC. 

Out of interest and to test any negotiating areas within the deal, I've also approached other OPC's for comparisons.  It would appear that allocations of the GTS will be very limited in the UK with expectations of an average of 12 cars per dealer depending on their historical status as an OPC.

They all say they expect to sell all their GTS slots with no problem whatsoever as it's considered to be a 2011 launch!  There is some variation with trade-in value, but not much. 

RC - Please could you clarify which areas for negotiation were you thinking of when you made the above comment.?  Many thanks for your help and advice...it is always gratefully received..Smiley

--

John H:
    It would appear that allocations of the GTS will be very limited in the UK with expectations of an average of 12 cars per dealer depending on their historical status as an OPC. 

Is the GTS an officially limited edition model? Or is it because 997 production will end in spring and therefore the capacity is not there?

--

"Form follows function"

not limited

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

reginos:

I think full leather interior is standard on all UK 911s.

Does that include item XMZ "Leather rear section of centre console" which I've specced as an optional extra costing £582.00..? Smiley 

Wouldn't want to pay twice...Smiley

--

reginos:
    John H:
    It would appear that allocations of the GTS will be very limited in the UK with expectations of an average of 12 cars per dealer depending on their historical status as an OPC. 

Is the GTS an officially limited edition model? Or is it because 997 production will end in spring and therefore the capacity is not there?

It's not an official limited edition, but will be limited by the short production run and the OPC allocations..

--

John H:
    reginos:

I think full leather interior is standard on all UK 911s.

Does that include item XMZ "Leather rear section of centre console" which I've specced as an optional extra costing £582.00..? Smiley 

Wouldn't want to pay twice...Smiley

"Full" leather doesn't include the rear section of the centre console in leather. In fact "full" leather is far from being really "full". Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Apologies if it has been posted before

What a beautiful car and at the same time having the perfect Carrera configuration, i.e. as close as it can get to a GT3 but while still being a perfect daily driver.

We have been missing this in the 996 and 997 (until now) and I wish they would bring such a model out at the start of the 991 lifecycle and not at the end, sure with its premium pricetag over the CarreraS of course since it wouldn't be a end of the lifecycle special edition, thats understandable, but I would for sure sign up for one. 

--

As Rossi says, full is not really full. I have XMZ and it was always an option  

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Isn't it interesting... ?...the leather / alcantara seats in the cayman (at least here in Germany) are standard and are usually the first items to be replaced / upgraded by whatever leather seats...and in the GTS ?...wow, they come as a special give-away...I do love that marketing....and, though my comment is / was a bit sarcastic, to me, the GTS really is an attractive further offspring of the 911 family. Still, I would not want to replace my 997 for the GTS, not yet......Though one thing I would like to change on the GTS - I would replace the black front spoiler lip with the one from the sport classic / speedster...

easy_rider911:

As Rossi says, full is not really full. I have XMZ and it was always an option  

Easy/Rossi/Reginos - where in the centre console is XMZ?  On my current car the compartment lid (where the logo goes) is in leather, but forward of that i.e. the ashtray area and surround is non-leather.

Ideally I'd like the whole of the console to be in leather but not sure whether I've got it covered?

I've also specced XWU (PDK selector gate surround) in leather.  It would be a shame if I've missed a bit just because the UK configurer doesn't show it.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm trying to get this thing just right...thanks again..Smiley

--

John, XMZ is the central console that runs from behind the gear lever area past the handbrake and storage bin to the area between (and behind) the front seats 

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

John, XMZ is the central console that runs from behind the gear lever area past the handbrake and storage bin to the area between (and behind) the front seats 

Thanks Easy - it seems I do have it fully covered..Smiley

--

Spoke with the OPC today - they've invited me to an event at Silverstone for a test drive when the first GTS arrives in the UK... sounds good.

Whilst we were talking I asked if I could specify the brand of tyres I'd prefer on my new car.  It's not something I've really bothered about previously but this time I thought I'd ask as I've been really impressed with the Michelin PS2's

He said there's no way we can choose - It will be pot-luck between Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone.  I tend to think that's a bit off considering they're what connects the car to the tarmac!

--

no need to worry. whatever the car comes with , you can change them 6 months  when the wear out Smiley

congrats on the car. I think the GTS is a great purchase

enjoy

@John H: have you considered getting -20mm sports suspension (S-PASM)? If I were in your position, I would be trying it out so as not to miss out.

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

@John H: have you considered getting -20mm sports suspension (S-PASM)? If I were in your position, I would be trying it out so as not to miss out.

+1

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Easy/Gnil.....I don't have the benefit of having tried -20mm suspension and my OPC doesn't have any demo's with it, so will stick with what I know.  As I've said before...I won't be tracking the GTS as I have another car specially for that purpose.

I've ordered LSD, on the recommendations of R/T members, mainly for improved cornering during spirited drives, but also for reducing rear tyre wear.

I wish I could have experienced -20mm, but the GTS is set-up slightly differently from the C2S and I'm hoping it will suit me just fine..

--

While the Normal PASM should be perfectly acceptable, why risk missing out on something that could be a whole lot better? (I personally want my car to be the best it can be - so that I can maximise my pleasure - not just something that is perfectly acceptable)...

Our cars spend 90-95% of their time on the public roads - so even if you don't track it, you will notice the improved handling, steering feedback and sharpness in your daily driving too.

If I were you, I would fly to Switzerland - even if only for just 1 day - ask Gnil nicely Smiley and experience a ride in his -20mm 997.2 C2S and then decide. (I've met Gnil at the NoS - such a great guy - I'm sure he'll be happy to take you for a ride Smiley). I sat in his car around the Nordschleife - it was fantastic. If I were ordering a 997.2 Carrera model, it would definitely have S-PASM -20mm.

But, at the end of the day, it's your choice Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

If I were you, I would fly to Switzerland - even if only for just 1 day - ask Gnil nicely Smiley and experience a ride in his -20mm 997.2 C2S and then decide.

I would gladly let you take my car for a drive on any roads around here that are similar to yours. Smiley

I have always liked my -20mm, and the comfort is good to my taste. I like to feel what is under my wheels. Smiley

Now I can understand that it would not suit someone looking for the most comfortable ride possible...not saying that -20mm is uncomfortable.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

John H:

Easy/Gnil.....I don't have the benefit of having tried -20mm suspension and my OPC doesn't have any demo's with it, so will stick with what I know.  As I've said before...I won't be tracking the GTS as I have another car specially for that purpose.

I've ordered LSD, on the recommendations of R/T members, mainly for improved cornering during spirited drives, but also for reducing rear tyre wear.

I wish I could have experienced -20mm, but the GTS is set-up slightly differently from the C2S and I'm hoping it will suit me just fine..

Gnil:
    easy_rider911:

If I were you, I would fly to Switzerland - even if only for just 1 day - ask Gnil nicely Smiley and experience a ride in his -20mm 997.2 C2S and then decide.

I would gladly let you take my car for a drive on any roads around here that are similar to yours. Smiley

There you go John H - a very generous invitation from Gnil Smiley

Cheers Gnil Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

Easy/Gnil,

A really generous and amazing offer Gnil.. and I'm truly grateful...

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get time out to go to Switzerland this month and I need to finalise my spec in the next week if I'm to get a December delivery... which I really really want..

Can't thank you guys enough for all the assistance I'm getting here on R/T...

--

As an ex-997.1 Carrera S w/-20 mm sports chassie owner, LSD with PASM should be very good for public roads. SPASM can be too stiff for normal city roads.

I don't even use "sport" mode of EDC on my M3. Too stiff suspension makes the road handling worse on less than perfect and bumpy roads.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

John H:

Easy/Gnil,

A really generous and amazing offer Gnil.. and I'm truly grateful...

It's always nice to share a passion with another enthusiast . I'm sure your car will end up just perfect for you Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I used to have a -20mm 997.1, and did a lap of the Nordschleife with Gnil ().  I wouldn't hesitate.  Both were less harsh than my 987, and I drive that more or less every day... You'll enjoy it on a decent road 

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

Carlos from Spain:

Apologies if it has been posted before

What a beautiful car and at the same time having the perfect Carrera configuration, i.e. as close as it can get to a GT3 but while still being a perfect daily driver.

We have been missing this in the 996 and 997 (until now) and I wish they would bring such a model out at the start of the 991 lifecycle and not at the end, sure with its premium pricetag over the CarreraS of course since it wouldn't be a end of the lifecycle special edition, thats understandable, but I would for sure sign up for one. 

--

I bought my 911, 14 months ago, and if the GTS was available at time, I wouldn´t think twice, great pack this car offer, very unique, but now I believe waiting for 991 to be a better move, it will have more power, better handling, interior and so on. Now, even better, would a 991 GTS like Carlos said Smiley

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    ... but now I believe waiting for 991 to be a better move, it will have more power, better handling, interior and so on. Now, even better, would a 991 GTS like Carlos said Smiley

But if you keep on waiting and waiting, you will never drive a car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

He means waiting for the next model when already at the end of the lice cycle of the current one. As tempting as the GTS is (the best Carrera version ever IMO) I am of the same opinion at this time.

Personally I like to purschase the model around one year after its introduction, this way most of the quirks of the launch vehicles have been ironed out, yet you can enjoy the latest model's attributes somewhat early, while they are current.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688657 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408740 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773428 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM