Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

Ferdie:
    John H:

Where is the configurator for the GTS located?

Porsche car configurator
    Smiley

Thanks for the reply Ferdie - I actually found it just after I asked and have pretty much settled on my speccing of the GTS.  Now waiting for the OPC to inform me when the order can be placed...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

This is the spec. I'm thinking of....maybe a few tweaks to come here and there..Smiley

What do you think..Smiley

911 Carrera GTS Coupe                                                                               £74,627.00

Exterior Colour - Carrara White                                                                   £0.00
    Interior Colour - Black leatherette interior, seats leather/Alcantara     £0.00
    Electric slide/tilt sunroof                                                                               £967.00
    Park Assist (parking aid rear)                                                                     £341.00
    Windscreen with grey top tint                                                                      £67.00
    Sport Chrono Package Plus                                                                       £816.00
    Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)                                                               £2,472.00
    19 inch RS Spyder wheel with centre lock                                               £0.00
    Tyre Pressure monitoring system (TPM)                                                 £428.00
    Floor mats                                                                                                      £119.00
    Rear seats                                                                                                     £0.00
    Cruise control                                                                                               £293.00
    Adaptive sports seats                                                                                  £1,375.00
    Lid of storage bin with logo                                                                        £151.00
    Porsche crest embossed on head restraints                                        £135.00
    Six disc CD/DVD auto-changer                                                                 £349.00
    BOSE® Surround Sound System                                                             £808.00
    Extended navigation module                                                                     £1,284.00
    Telephone module                                                                                      £523.00
    Porsche Vehicle Tracking System                                                            £985.00
    3rd Year Warranty                                                                                        £910.00
    3rd Year Porsche Assistance                                                                   £169.00

Total Price (incl. 17.5% VAT)                                                                    £86,819.00

BTW - notice the compulsory 3rd year warranty and assistance charges!!!

PS - Sorry about the formatting - couldn't get it right!! Smiley

--

LSD? It's not standard equipment even on the GTS I think, so you have to spec it.

--

"Form follows function"

Great specs, John!

as i was speccing my car i decided not to go with the storage bin with logo AND the embossed headrests. Having both was maybe to much.

Just my two eurocents.

apart from that i would specc it the same way!

when were you quoted delivery?

nick

Cracking car John, congratulations.

One question though - you are obviously aware of the VAT issue, so why do you want to pay 2.5% more by taking delivery on the 1st Jan?? Why dont you get it registered on 31st Dec, pay the lower rate of VAT and then take delivery a later later??

I thought floor mats were standard from 2011 on?

Unbelievable that you must pay extra for cruise control.

Not sure about CD/DVD auto-changer - unless you need it to load the nav database. Anybody still use CDs v. iPod, or memory stick?

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Great spec, John, white with black rims will look terrific.

As nick said, I would also drop the logo on the lid of the storage bin, just too much when you get the crests on the headrests.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

John H:

This is the spec. I'm thinking of....maybe a few tweaks to come here and there..Smiley

What do you think..Smiley

911 Carrera GTS Coupe                                                                               £74,627.00

Exterior Colour - Carrara White                                                                   £0.00
    Interior Colour - Black leatherette interior, seats leather/Alcantara     £0.00
    Electric slide/tilt sunroof                                                                               £967.00
    Park Assist (parking aid rear)                                                                     £341.00
    Windscreen with grey top tint                                                                      £67.00
    Sport Chrono Package Plus                                                                       £816.00
    Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)                                                               £2,472.00
    19 inch RS Spyder wheel with centre lock                                               £0.00
    Tyre Pressure monitoring system (TPM)                                                 £428.00
    Floor mats                                                                                                      £119.00
    Rear seats                                                                                                     £0.00
    Cruise control                                                                                               £293.00
    Adaptive sports seats                                                                                  £1,375.00
    Lid of storage bin with logo                                                                        £151.00
    Porsche crest embossed on head restraints                                        £135.00
    Six disc CD/DVD auto-changer                                                                 £349.00
    BOSE® Surround Sound System                                                             £808.00
    Extended navigation module                                                                     £1,284.00
    Telephone module                                                                                      £523.00
    Porsche Vehicle Tracking System                                                            £985.00
    3rd Year Warranty                                                                                        £910.00
    3rd Year Porsche Assistance                                                                   £169.00

Total Price (incl. 17.5% VAT)                                                                    £86,819.00

BTW - notice the compulsory 3rd year warranty and assistance charges!!!

PS - Sorry about the formatting - couldn't get it right!! Smiley

--

John,

I would definately get GT2 bucket seats instead of A.S.S.

Also I would prefer Universal Audio instead of DVD changer.

If you turn off the PSM, then you should get the LSD option, too, IMO.

Very nice car; one of my favorites on the market right now.Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

I would reconsider the cd-changer as well and prefer the USB/iPod-connector, the full-leather interior´d be a nice addition on that car as well. Other than that, very decent spec! Smiley

Many thanks for your input guys - it's very much appreciated..

@ Reginos - I was considering LSD but thought, maybe incorrectly, that it best complimented the -20mm sports chassis.  I know both Carlos & Easy swear by this feature but, not having tried it, I'm not sure it would suit me personally as I've been quite happy with my current PASM set-up.  I haven't found a demo anywhere with -20mm, so haven't been able to judge for myself.  I'll try to find one before finalising my specification...

@ Nick & Rossi - thanks for pointing out that logos on the storage bin and headrests may be over-kill - I'll bear that in mind...cheers.  Nick - no delivery date given yet... hope I'll get one next week.

@ FFaust - Floor mats and cruise control are still shown as options in the configurator..  However I shall be doing much haggling with the OPC over the final cost so these, and some others, could become gratis if I play my cards right..   I'm afraid I still use CD's rather than iPod etc.  In my business I get many demo CD's sent to me from aspiring artistes so tend to play them while I'm travelling...oft-times a pain, but just occasionally rewarding!!

@ Adam - my plan is to complete the purchase of the car prior to 31st December, at the lower rate of VAT, then to register it on 1st January... just so it becomes a 2011 car.

@ Pride 355 - CD's for the reason above.  GT2 bucket seats aren't shown on the configurator.  I could, and will, ask my dealer if it's an option I could try.  I won't be turning off PSM as I won't be tracking this car - I have a Lotus for that..Smiley

@ Ferdie - funny you should mention full leather...it's one area I'm a bit unsure of - will give it more consideration... many thanks.

You guys are great to share ideas with and I'm very grateful...

--

Ferdie:

the full-leather interior´d be a nice addition on that car as well.

I support that. Full leather gives the interior a very nice touch and is more than appropriate for such a car. I would also consider the middle console in leather, it's the most important part for additional leather IMO. Smiley

--

My humble little ride has LSD and full leather. The leather is needed in a car at the level that Porsche is at and it is still the nicest I have seen. When you hit the gas hard whether for fun, or just a little exuberance or for an emergency maneuver to get out of the way of something, the second wheel joining in gives twice the forward traction and gets you moving better. May make all the difference in the world someday.

John H:

@ Adam - my plan is to complete the purchase of the car prior to 31st December, at the lower rate of VAT, then to register it on 1st January... just so it becomes a 2011 car.

It would be great if you could but Im pretty sure you cant do that.  When the dealer sells you a car they have to register it the same day - the date of registration is the date of sale and so the VAT will be calculated that day too.

Also under the HMRC rules you cannot ask for a car to be delivered "late" just to avoid the VAT rise as doing so triggers the new VAT rate. The car has to be invoiced and delivered (i.e. registered) in 2010 if you want to only pay the currrent 17.5% VAT rate.

This document by whatcar relates to the rise from 15% to 17.5% last year but the principles are the same...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/vat-rate-change-confuses-everyone/245228

From what I understand there there is no way around this in the UK unless the dealer or manufacturer offers to pay the additional VAT (or reduce the price by an equivalent amount).

Great specs, does the steering wheel come in Alcantara as well standard? For me the ultimate 997 because I'm not a fan of the wings on a 997 . 

John H:

@ Ferdie - funny you should mention full leather...it's one area I'm a bit unsure of - will give it more consideration... many thanks.

You guys are great to share ideas with and I'm very grateful...

The full leather interior, in my opinion, is more than appropriate on such a car and should help at resale. Not sure if the rear seats (should you want them) come as standard or have to explicitly be selected on the order sheet. Alternatively, you could select the regular leather interior as well, again depending on taste and resale considerations.

I agree with Rossi that the centre console in leather would make quite a contribution as well, alternatively you could get it painted in exterior colour.

Kudos in return... Smiley

I believe rear seats are a no cost option but look like they must be specified. Option code 685

John H:

@ Reginos - I was considering LSD but thought, maybe incorrectly, that it best complimented the -20mm sports chassis.  I know both Carlos & Easy swear by this feature but, not having tried it, I'm not sure it would suit me personally as I've been quite happy with my current PASM set-up.  I haven't found a demo anywhere with -20mm, so haven't been able to judge for myself.  I'll try to find one before finalising my specification...

The LSD works well even without the more focussed -20mm chassis. If you use the 911 in a spirited way on b-roads with sharp bends, hairpins etc taken at speed you will notice a difference. It also makes the car more stable and safe besides the fun factor, and raises the threshold where PSM kicks in (and spoils the fun) because of the extra mechanical grip generated by the LSD.

On Porsche it is a 100%  mechanical differential so no danger of anything proving unreliable. Also, Its extra cost is a tiny % of the total GTS cost.

There 2 other nice options at low price are:

The LED rear footwell lighting. Very nice illumination when you open the doors, even if no one might ever sit at the back. Option CEE

and

Door pocket lighting when you lift the lid. very convenient. Option CEF

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks again guys - have made a few changes following your suggestions....

Deleted the Alcantara package in favour of leather.

Added middle console in leather.

Added LSD.

Added PDK gear selector gate in leather.

Also added voice control.

Also added dimming interior & exterior mirrors with rain sensor.

Also added heated seats.

That will cost a further £2.5K.. so I'm hoping that this car is now fully loaded...

--

@ Adam - the dealer is checking the VAT situation - will keep you informed.

Will be placing the order on Thursday.....wish me luck..

Any further suggestions will of course be gratefully received. 

--

John H:

Added LSD.

Also added heated seats.

That will cost a further £2.5K.. so I'm hoping that this car is now fully loaded...

John,

Wise desicion on LSD Smiley

Also, don't delete Alcantara option but choose full leather. So you will have leather dashboard but alcantara inserts on the seats and some places of the interior including door inleys.

I'm very happy and very comfortable with alcantara seats in my M3 (BMW Performance seats)

In the summer, the seats were never hot. In the winter, they won't be as cold as leather seats. They look the business. They don't crack as leather, either. I have leather in door inlays and rear seats. I wish I had leather dash.

So full leather would look ordenary 911. Alcantara/ full leather will look the nuts, IMO.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

John H:Also added dimming interior & exterior mirrors with rain sensor. 

This option is also very important since the 911 sits lower than most of the cars in the traffic. At nights high beams of higher cars, especially SUVs, irritates me.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

John H:

Added LSD.

Also added heated seats.

John, you don't have to delete Alcantara if you choose full leather. You can get full leahter only or full leather with Alcantara accents. So if you like Alcantara and think that is something special and typical for the GTS, you can have both. Price is the same. Perhaps you can even save the heated with Alcantara, though I would definitely order seat heating. Smiley

--

Does Alcantara wear as well as leather? Or it does tend to look scruffy after a while?

Also you can maintain leather with care products but what about Alcantara?

Any experience?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Does Alcantara wear as well as leather? Or it does tend to look scruffy after a while?

Any experience?

My experience is that alcantara does not wear well.

My RS alcantara steering wheel and alcantara gear shifter in the Boxster start to look scruffy after two years of wear. One can brush it up with a soft leather brush, but it does not get much better.

I never tried leather cleaner on alcantara. Too afraid it will just soak up and look greasy.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

bluelines:
    reginos:

Any experience?

My experience is that alcantara does not wear well.

My RS alcantara steering wheel and alcantara gear shifter in the Boxster start to look scruffy after two years of wear. One can brush it up with a soft leather brush, but it does not get much better.

I never tried leather cleaner on alcantara. Too afraid it will just soak up and look greasy.

100% agree. Alcantara steering wheel is not the best choice. All other Alcantara applications work well though (seats etc.).

Very nice spec John, this will be a great car.

Another thing I would consider would be if I liked the PDK lever (and handbrake) better in aluminium or not.

Normal:

detail_m250_99715.jpg

Alu:

detail_pECB_99715.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

From Autocar:

A new sports exhaust system is also added, with two dual tailpipes painted black on the outside. Porsche says this exhaust set-up produces “a unique sound”.

Does anyone know if the GTS has the normal "powerkit with PSE" option, just with a different look. Or have they made a special version of the exhaust like they did for the Sport Classic (which sounds fantastic)Smiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Many congrats on  your order John. It will be a fantastic car! I have LSD on my car, but without the -20mm stiffer chassie.  I can just confirm what Reginos is point out, the LSD really does make a difference and I have driven the same car without LSD in quick bends. So you did the right choice.

What I really would consider adding that you missed out are the Dynamic Cornering Lights. The function is very neat if you drive at night, but what is more important is the modern looking headlight unit with two projector lenses that differentiates the headlights from the 997.1. Your car is really high specced and I would add those ligths in a heartbeat. The option is not that expensive. 

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, Bose, etc.

Sold: 997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Valuable point Lukas, regarding cornering lights! 

Very useful at night and better looking as well.

--

I agree with the Cornering Lights option. They are useful and look good.

Also, because they were first introduced on 997.2, the face of your new car if so equipped, will look more different compared to your existing 997.1.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436210 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260910 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257867 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82581 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876608 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808570 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM