Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

New Top Carrera with Wide Body, Additional Power, and Rear-Wheel Drive

Stuttgart. With a power output of 408 hp, outstanding vehicle dynamics and emphatically sporty equipment, the new 911 Carrera GTS ascends to the pinnacle of the Carrera model series. 23 hp more than the 911 Carrera S enable the new GTS – available as Coupé and Cabriolet – with 3.8-litre engine to close the gap up to the 911 GT3 with 435 hp. This additional sportiness goes hand in hand with the economic advantage: thanks to Porsche Intelligent Performance, the new top sports car consumes no more fuel than the Carrera S in the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), and is also priced very attractively due to its extensive standard equipment. The new Porsche 911 Carrera GTS will celebrate its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show in early October.

Unique within the Carrera family, the 911 Carrera GTS combines the 44 millimetre wider Carrera 4 body of the AWD models including a wider track with a classic rear-wheel drive. And there are many more details which distinguish appearance and technology of a GTS from other Carrera models. For instance, the GTS runs on 19-inch centre-mount RS Spyder wheels, painted in black, with high-gloss finish rim flanges and 305/30 R 19 tyres on the rear axle.

Other optical features include the SportDesign front apron with spoiler edge, painted in black, special sideskirts, also in black, and the Carrera GTS logotype on doors and rear lid, in black or silver depending on the body colour. The area between the two tailpipes in the rear is finished in black. In combination with the standard interior colour "black Alcantara", the centre sections of the driver and passenger sport seats are covered with black Alcantara. In the sporty interior, dominated by the colour black, this high-quality material is also used wherever driver and passenger come into direct contact with the vehicle, like on the rim of the new three-spoke SportDesign steering wheel and on the gear and handbrake levers.

Special attention was paid to charge exchange in the 3.8-litre flat engine delivering 408 hp: In a special resonance intake manifold, six vacuum-controlled tuning flaps switch between power- and torque-optimized geometry whereas in a Carrera S power unit there is only one tuning flap. Thus, maximum torque of unchanged 420 Nm is already available at 4,200 rpm, 200 rpm earlier compared with the Carrera S. Add to that a sports exhaust system with two dual tailpipes. Their outer shells are painted in black and their inner tubes are polished on the outside and nano-coated.

As a standard, the Carrera GTS has a six-speed manual transmission, and upon request, a seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) is available. In comparison with the Carrera S, top speed of the model with manual transmission rises by four km/h to 306 km/h. In general, acceleration from zero to 100 km/h improves by 0.1 seconds, and is 4.2 seconds for a GTS Coupé with PDK and a Sport Chrono Package Plus in Sport Plus mode. Fuel consumption of a Carrera GTS with PDK in the NEDC is 10.2 litres/100 km (27.69 mpg imp), CO2 emissions are 240 g/km.

In Germany, the 911 Carrera GTS Coupé including country-specific equipment and 19 per cent VAT will be offered at a price of Euro 104,935, the Cabriolet at Euro 115,050. Both models will be on sale in Germany from December 2010.

Must say I really like the idea of a GTS cabrio. 408HP, the clean looks of the non-turbo and a somewhat "limited" production. Might go for this one instead of waiting for the 991 

In Germany it carries a 6.000 Euro premium over a Carrera S which is very good value when you consider the cost of the Powerkit alone at over 12.000 Euro.

I like this model

--

"Form follows function"

This is just Porsche emptying the spare parts bin, this car is nothing order than a c4s with powerkit Smiley . I guess its true that the regular carrera is losing sales as some members speculated on their visit to the factory. Roll on 991 Smiley

Spyderidol:

I'm liking this combination of white with black wheels more and more... very elegant yet sporty.

Quite a bargain for the price and its got all the right sport options but its too late in the lifespan of the 997, they should have rolled out this model at the start and then it would be worth it.

--

Wow,looks great,good price tag,and good options!

But like Carlos said,unfortunately too late...

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Carlos from Spain:

Quite a bargain for the price and its got all the right sport options but its too late in the lifespan of the 997, they should have rolled out this model at the start and then it would be worth it.

Totally agree, the car features quite a few interesting details. I assume, one year earlier this car would´ve become a massive success... Smiley

Does indeed look like a very tasty package and price (for once!)...

A manual GTS coupe with aerokit and PSE and this will be the ultimate '997.2 C2S' in my mind...

Carlos from Spain:
    Spyderidol:

I'm liking this combination of white with black wheels more and more... very elegant yet sporty.

If you buy this model it's to keep for many years. It could become a defining 911 in future.

--

"Form follows function"

What is it with the label of the car in the lower corner of the doors? GT2 rs has it, now the gts... looks really sad!

Otherwise, just a nice options package I think.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Carlos from Spain:

But that's the whole point of the excercise. 

A "special model" which is perceived as a bargain creates sales at a time when the production line would otherwise have to be slowed down, but without the heavy discounting of the list prices of  "standard" models which would result in residual values being undermined and create the expectation that prices of the successors will also be discounted.

--

fritz

Joost:

What is it with the label of the car in the lower corner of the doors? GT2 rs has it, now the gts... looks really sad!

Otherwise, just a nice options package I think.

I don't  think it's painted on, as it would have been too expensive to apply.

Most probably a sticker easily removable with a blow dryer.

--

"Form follows function"

Looks just excellent, I love it !....Like RC said, Sport Classic owners must be

Porsche is just burning everything they have untill  the 991 see the lights, and by judging right now with the GTS introduction, the 991 is right in the corner, less time than expected for sure, I'm sure that by mid of 2011 we already see the official launch pics !!!!!

--

fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

But that's the whole point of the excercise. 

A "special model" which is perceived as a bargain creates sales at a time when the production line would otherwise have to be slowed down, but without the heavy discounting of the list prices of  "standard" models which would result in residual values being undermined and create the expectation that prices of the successors will also be discounted.

I understand the reason behind it Smiley Porsche always does the same thing with all its models, and in this case I find it more atractive than any previous late introduction special model but my point was that to me the attractiveness of the price/features does not offset such late introduction still. Should they have introduced this along with the MkII then maybe... though I understand why they wouldn't

--

Hmm... I like it a lot. Turbo S and Carrera GTS are my favourite 997.2 models.

Not another special / limited edition !!!!

Did they not also do an American Express Centurion Edition back in July !!!

http://www.superyachts.com/luxury/limited-edition-american-express-porsche-911-carrera-367.htm

I am just waiting for the Tesco's Club Card edition Carrera next...... 

Like already said; good value for the powerkit, but not much else to it. Looks like a parts bin emptying exercise to me.

The sales book for it:-

Carrera GTS.pdf

The special edition approach is debatable, but I continue to be impressed by Porsche's (VW's) commitment to performance and technology--Porsche's lifeblood brand...

Noone mentioned yet that the car is available with:

a. 90 litre fuel tank (no-cost option)

b. sports steering wheel even without PDK

The sportsexhaust tips are featured in chrome which is much more suitable than the regular solution:

555.jpg

Seems like a very unique and collectable model for a 911 buyer. Might be just the thing for Easy to upgrade to.

thinking about the Special lease they offer in Germany with lower rates and the service to buy a 997 today and as soon as the 991 is out they swap it to the new. with this model it might be a good idea to make a move already today instead of waiting until the 991 hits the road Price an look of te GTS is very good!

racerx:

..... Might be just the thing for Easy to upgrade to.

Very nice offering at a very sensible price BUT not for me - I would prefer to wait for a completely new model range - with a 'next gen' look so I'm probably aiming for the 991.1 GT3 (or maybe the 991.2 GT3) Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

The next gen look. Doesn't anyone like a particular classic look. The 997 is one of the better looking 911's especially after the so-so 996. I prefer the 3.2 carrera's.

But for instance I much prefer my early 928 body style over the 1987 re-design. It is just the more pure classic look.

And this particular 997 has the wide body w/o the 4 wheel drive and the sports suspension 20mm lower plus locking diff. It also has a unique treatment in the back seat area similar to the GT3, no seats carpeted shelves. Plus the name GTS is very rare. All of this plus the performance makes this the civilized and low key GT3. Kind of the best of both worlds. A wolf in sheeps clothing at a modest price - porsche wise, and something that may not get repeated for many years if at all.

I say collectable and bragging rights at all get togethers, if you guys ever have one.

I have been watching Inspector Lewis that last few days, I hear Oxford calling for a nice rennteam gathering.

I say speed yellow with the black wheels and yellow calipers will make this one very collectible 997 in the years to come.

Interesting to note, this car has just 20 Nm more torque at the same 4200 rpm than my 85 928 built in November 1984, 26 years ago at the same weight. Awesome 928.

racerx:

... The 997 is one of the better looking 911's

.... and the sports suspension 20mm lower plus locking diff

.... the civilized and low key GT3

Agreed about the looks - I love the 997 Smiley I especially love the rear tail lights on the 997.2 range Smiley

BUT whenever I get a new car, I like it to look 'different enough' from what I had before Smiley I'm sure you can appreciate where I am coming from on this - even though it may not be your own personal approach Smiley

About the -20mm sports suspension, no, this one is PASM based. The P17 -20mm sports suspension on the 997.1 range was the last conventionally sprung sports suspension on any Carrera, sadly Smiley

Not quite a GT3 - that has a GT1 derived Mezger engine whereas this 997 Carrera GTS has a DFI engine found on the 997.2 range. They are different beasts - and one can only really appreciate the difference after sitting in (or better still driving) a GT3.

I'm lucky - I have had the pleasure of driving a 997.1 GT3 (belonging to function_analysi) and I have also enjoyed many rides as a passenger (at Hockenheim, Nordschleife etc). IMHO nothing in the Carrera range can come close to the raw, visceral experience of a GT3. That car is alive Smiley

I guess it must be rather like enjoying an evening in the company of Charlize Theron or Angelina Jolie. Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting either of these ladies - I assume Charlize is great company but I would presume Angelina is that much wilder and more dangerous Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM