Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Appears Ferrari Is Quietly Trying To Address The 458 Fires

I wonder what Ferrari is going to do for owners who's Ferrari's have already burned into a molten heap of slag? Think they'll replace them, make financial restitution, or spin the roulette wheel fighting lawsuits.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2010/08/28/ferrari-recalls-458-over-fire-risk/

Ferrari is working on a solution to fix the problem of the 458’s ’spontaneous combustion’. According to insiders at Jalopnik and Ferrari-chat, the Italians are already implementing some new changes into the prancing horse. The changes suggest that Ferrari has finally decided to issue a recall, but it is still unconfirmed.
    At Jalopnik it says:

Quote:
    We’ve heard from one owner tonight that they received a letter from Ferrari claiming a gas overflow tube and gas vapor system were placed too close to the engine, thus creating the possibility of a fire. The owner was told they can take their vehicle to their dealer to receive a fix. We’re currently trying to confirm this report and will update you as soon as we get it.

At Ferrari-chat a user even posted pictures of a part that was replaced near the rear left wheel.

OLD PART

NEW PART

Quote:
    In response to a question about whether this was related to the fire, the same person who shared photos of the repair said “I asked the same question… they gave a non-committal “probably”. I think they are under gag orders. “

Stay tuned for more regarding the recall

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Re: Appears Ferrari Is Quietly Trying To Address The 458 Fires

Thankfully they are addressing the issue. They can be stubborn at times.

I believe the Toyota experience has brought religion to all the auto makers.

--

Yes, being Ferrari this could end brand image quite easily. I would hope they fix the burned owners with replacements.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

they should come out and admit the problem.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

they should come out and admit the problem.

Like Nissan with the GT-R exploding trannys

And Toyota with the numerous brake failures

Ferrari can pass the buck and point the finger at "driver error" only but for so long until it finally all comes crashing in on their heads. 

Right now Ferrari should count their lucky stars that no one has been killed or injured in a fire. Should that have happened, the lawsuits and judgment based on the negligence findings would be staggering. 

--

So they built 1.248 cars in this short period. The good old times of exclusiveness seem to be over. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

1250 cars in more than half a year are not that many... total 2010 production numbers is going to be the same as in recent years (circa 6000 cars). Bear in mind though that allocation in major markets is the same as it used to be; many sales are in developing markets nowadays (Russia, China etc).

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Ferrari explain the fires on the 458...

Ferrari North Europe has officially explained the fault that has caused five of the very earliest examples of its 458 supercar to catch fire.

"When the car is driven to high exhaust temperatures, in hot ambient temperatures, the adhesive used in the wheelarch assemblies can overheat and allow the rear wheel housing heat shields to move around. In extreme cases, the glue can begin to smoke and even catch fire," a Ferrari spokesperson told Autocar.

"It would only be a problem on cars driven very hard, and has only affected a handful of the 1248 458 Italias we've delivered so far – none in the UK,” our source confirmed.

Ferrari claims that the problem has been made to look more serious than it should because of unfortunate timing and innaccurate reporting. A new 458 was written off because of a warehouse fire recently, and others have been crashed, the firm says, causing some areas of the media to suggest the car is 'jinxed'.

Ferrari will recall all of the 458s delivered so far to fit new wheelarch liners, which will be attached more securely. It will also be replacing any cars that have been damaged as a result of the problem. All new 458s built now that Ferrari’s Maranello plant has re-opened after the summer shutdown will be rectified before they leave the factory.

www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/252519/

--

http://www.phrog.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11156782

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Good to see they did the right thing 

--

I just hope Iain (ISUK) isn't too inconvenienced by all of this...

Perhaps you could give us your personal take on the matter..

--

John H:

I just hope Iain (ISUK) isn't too inconvenienced by all of this...

Perhaps you could give us your personal take on the matter..

Rossi too.

Of course...personal opinions from all owners of 458's would be appreciated..

--

Wow a great official statement from Ferrari. I appreciate that they have recalled all 458 so far sent out.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

ResB:

Ferrari explain the fires on the 458...

It will also be replacing any cars that have been damaged as a result of the problem. .

www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/252519/

Damaged. Smiley

A bit of an understatement.

But very please to see Ferrari doing the exact right thing in this circumstance.

--

Heist:

But very please to see Ferrari doing the exact right thing in this circumstance.

The right thing would have been to develop this ultra expensive car thoroughly. Doing fast laps around Fiorano is not enough testing IMO. Do they test in the Arctic Circle or in Death Valley CA for months? I'm not so sure.

Using an inflammable adhesive at the wrong place would have been inexcusable for an amateur auto workshop not for an automotive legend.

You can imagine the engineering  blunders you cannot see or which do not come to the surface because of the very limited use of these cars.

--

"Form follows function"

For my part I've never been unduly concerned about this issue. It's affected a tiny number of cars (0.4% of production thus far) and none of us knows what the exact circumstances were leading up to each of those incidents. There is a pretty good view of the engine from the cabin so if the worst did happen you'd soon spot it and vacate the car leaving insurance to do it's job.

The fix is very straightforward and has a workshop time of only 1 hour so it's no real inconvenience.

Reginos,

Ferrari do indeed do both hot and cold weather testing using South America and and Finland I believe.

No company would knowingly design a component expecting it to fail in some way. Bonding components is not excatly uncommon in either the automotive or aerospace industries so it's not unusal to see it being used in this way. There is speculation that a batch of resin was incorrectly mixed causing the potential for failure and deformation of the wheel arch due to a different melting point of the adhesive involved. This makes sense due to the very low number of cars that have been affected. In order to allay fears Ferrari have taken the prudent step IMHO of changing the design of this fixing and replaced the adhesive with rivets.

if formula1 cars had wheel arches, maybe this would not have happened

i really would not be happy driving a car knowing that there is the slimmest chance of it catching fire.

i still think the problem lies elsewhere and ferrari is being quiet about it.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Why on earth would they be quiet about it when the internet and news media has been running this story doggedly?

It's in Ferrari's interest to sort the issue out decisively to prevent a rash of law suits/product liability claims and to end speculation once and for all. What possible gain would they have by inventing a solution only for the problems to continue and gain even more publicity??

There were issues with the Gallardo upon it's launch when cars were bursting into flames. The fault was traced to some hydraulic lines routed too close to the exhaust. The cars were recalled, the lines re-routed and the fires stopped. I don't recall there being the same level of "interest" in that issue as there has been in this one even though it involved a similarly expensive two seat Italian exotic.

You can find any number of recalls for low volume cars if you look in the right areas. Even Reginos beloved German manufacturers are hardly above reproach. Here is one for the Mclaren SLR relating to production problems for the alternator wiring harness which could potentially result in a fire www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp  Here is possibly one of the affected cars which either prompted or missed the recall www.wreckedexotics.com/slr/slr_20080610_010.shtml

And as for not enough real world testing how about this for a recall by a mainstream manufacturer for a very bizarre reason for risk of fire in a mass produced family car www.whatcar.com/car-news/ford-focus-recall-over-winter-fire-risk/245760  I don't recall this story hitting the headlines when potentially far more people were exposed to a real risk of fire

"Ferrari North Europe has officially explained the fault that has caused five of the very earliest examples of its 458 supercar to catch fire.

"When the car is driven to high exhaust temperatures, in hot ambient temperatures, the adhesive used in the wheelarch assemblies can overheat and allow the rear wheel housing heat shields to move around. In extreme cases, the glue can begin to smoke and even catch fire," a Ferrari spokesperson told Autocar.

"It would only be a problem on cars driven very hard, and has only affected a handful of the 1248 458 Italias we've delivered so far – none in the UK,” our source confirmed.

Ferrari claims that the problem has been made to look more serious than it should because of unfortunate timing and innaccurate reporting. A new 458 was written off because of a warehouse fire recently, and others have been crashed, the firm says, causing some areas of the media to suggest the car is 'jinxed'.

Ferrari will recall all of the 458s delivered so far to fit new wheelarch liners, which will be attached more securely. It will also be replacing any cars that have been damaged as a result of the problem. All new 458s built now that Ferrari’s Maranello plant has re-opened after the summer shutdown will be rectified before they leave the factory"

Burning Ferrari 458

"It would only be a problem on cars driven very hard" says the fine folk at Ferrari.... (i) Driving in down town Paris is hardly what I call driving hard driving & (ii) aren't they supposed to be built to be driven hard anyway???

No offense to the Ferrari followers but this is typical of the make. There are countless videos of burning F430s and F360s on youtube- its just that the F458 is just better at it. Typical of the Italian engineers- no idea... when you slap a hard working, heat generating V8 in the centre of a car, you have to carefully choose the materials and the clearances of the surrounding components to ensure this isn't an issue. What moron uses adhesives and poorly fitting wheel arches within centimeters of an engine and exhaust running in the hundreds of degrees... go figure... 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/550000-ferrari-recalled-for-fire-risk-20100902-14o6v.html?autostart=1

Looks like Ferrari's hand has been forced.....

sevoman:

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/550000-ferrari-recalled-for-fire-risk-20100902-14o6v.html?autostart=1

"thermal incidents"  a (brand Smiley) new technical term in the automotive world Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

If they had a cooler up front to pack sausages and beers, it would be one very fast yet pricey BBQ... maybe then I would buy one...

Porsche-Jeck:

"thermal incidents"  a (brand Smiley) new technical term in the automotive world Smiley

Ferrari are only recycling a term coined by GM Smiley www.bbc.co.uk/news/10268555

ISUK:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Ferrari are only recycling a term coined by GM Smiley www.bbc.co.uk/news/10268555

Hahaha, good catch SmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

reginos:

The right thing would have been to develop this ultra expensive car thoroughly. Doing fast laps around Fiorano is not enough testing IMO. Do they test in the Arctic Circle or in Death Valley CA for months? I'm not so sure.

Using an inflammable adhesive at the wrong place would have been inexcusable for an amateur auto workshop not for an automotive legend.

You can imagine the engineering  blunders you cannot see or which do not come to the surface because of the very limited use of these cars.

--

"Form follows function"

True.

All I can say is when you buy cars like these, you know what you're getting into.

Intrinsically, you're signing up being a late beta-tester of bleeding edge design and engineering processes. You almost expect to have issues. You just pray the manufacturer does the right thing and stands behind the product (which is not something these exotic manufacturers always did).

F1 cars catch on fire all the time for any number of reasons but most often an exhaust header too gets too close to CF or adhesive, or even other metal and poof! Fire or a component melts and causes a failure.

--

ISUK: Here is one for the Mclaren SLR relating to production problems for the alternator wiring harness which could potentially result in a fire www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp  Here is possibly one of the affected cars which either prompted or missed the recall www.wreckedexotics.com/slr/slr_20080610_010.shtml

OMG! I passed that car when I was coming back from Annapolis 2 years ago! I had no idea it was an SLR! I thought it was just SL but kept saying it looked too long in the front. Didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Ouch! I wonder who it belonged to. 

--

ISUK:

For my part I've never been unduly concerned about this issue. It's affected a tiny number of cars (0.4% of production thus far) ......... 

.4% may not sound like much, but it's a huge number. Imagine if Ferrari made a million cars a year, that would be 4000 cars burning up......

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690733 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65730 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774884 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM