Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: M3 Coupe - First impressions w/pictures -

Perfect colour for that car, great choice. Enjoy!

Well some more thoughts after 1000 km.

1) M-DKG

I'm driving the car all the time either in S5 or S6. Only put in D3 mode when I'm on the phone or I'm in traffic jam. Start&stop is a cool function. I wouldn't pay for that extra but it is very interesting that when I stop for about 5-10 sec. the engine shuts down (the foot on the brake) Once you release the brake or touch the throttle, all of a sudden engine gets alive and you just go. It only works in D mode and can be turned off. If you are in traffic jam, and crawling around it doesn't shut down the engine. You must be moving and then stopping.

Ok, this feature must be for diesel lovers. Now let's get to the premier features of the tranny:

Best thing I like the loud, wild, agressive throttle blips on downshifts. It doesn't happen in S3 or S4. Only it does in S5 and S6. If you are on the brakes or if you lift off the throttle and downshift a gear, there is a very nice throttle blip depending on which rpm you are in. There is a very nice mechanical feel of the transmission. even if you are in low rpms and light on the throttle or even of the throttle, if you downshift or upshift, you feel the mechanical change in the gearbox. So you are not changing gears in play station game. I'm sure in S6 mode near the rev limiter, the shifts will be more brutal. You can definately feel the difference between 4000 rpm - 5000 rpm - 5500 rpm up shifts. At 8300 rpm, it can be more fun :)

I also like the double gear downshift of the gear box. If you pull the left paddle twice instantly, gearbox directly shift in to 2 gears lower with a loud and sharp throttle blip.

Finally, you don't feel this sharp/strong upshifts if you are throttle oversteering the car in 2nd or 3rd gear. At those times, the shifts are smooth in order not to stress the tranny and upset the balance of the car.

As for the paddles and gear knob:

I used to like shape and look of the metal SMGII gear knob more before delivered my E92. Because, from the pictures, M-DKG gear knob looks too plastic and small. Simply, it looked cheap. However, when you use it in flesh, it is lighted and just placed in your hand perfectly. You feel the leather surrounding in your hand instead of plastic upper part. When you use it, it feels like if you are changing gears manually. You have that mechanical feeling. It is not like using a steptronic transmission.

After driving M-DKG, I become more curious about PDK w/ sport chrono since I heard that it is faster and better than M-DKG.

However, with it is current software and hardware, M-DKG is very very good. It is good enough for me. I love the biggest concern I had with the car before the delivery for me

M-DKG is world apart from the double clutch I had in my Audi TTS.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

2) Chassie - Handling Characteristic Of M3

Well, it is too early to comment on this, but here is my initial impression:

Most of the time, the steering wheel is in normal mode which has a lighter steering feel than sport. In sport mode, steering feel is heavier. with less than 2,5 tour from lock-lock, it has a quick ratio. It is direct and plenty of feed back. Maybe this is just me since I know the response of the car, but I can feel what the front tires are doing by the steering wheel. I doesn't bother me it lacks the extra feeling of 911 steering, because I don't like to feel everything on the road, especially on our poor roads. Feeling the grip level of the front wheels and direction of the tires are enough for me.

Also, I always drive the car in comfort mode (EDC) It feels like, I have a cushion between the car and the road. In sport mode, the car bounces a lot, again on our poor roads.

So what does it mean to drive the car in lighter mode of the quick ratio steering wheel and comfort mode of EDC:

The controls of the car is direct BUT the car doesn't response directly. It feels heavy, and soft to change of direction. You feel little numb. However, heavier mode of the steering wheel with normal or sport mode of EDC may change things. A true Porsche 911 fan would hate this. The car more feels like a GT car instead of a true sports car.

One thing I noticed and like about E92 chassie is its neutral balance. My previous M3, both E36 and E46 tend to understeer if you are not on the throttle. In a corner, they first want to understeer. However, in E92, the car had more neutral balance and with throttle input, it starts to oversteer very nicely. Last night, around a 360 degree turn which had a very slippery asphalt, I threw the car in to the corner just after I brake for the corner and downshift a gear, the car just turned-in and took the corner. Then I put some throttle into the equation, and the rear of the car started to steer beautifully. with a quarter tour of opposite lock on the steering wheel and the car took almost all the turn with oversteer. A huge fun for me

I haven't made the toe-in adjustments yet since the suspansion of the car hasn't settled. But, after toe-in adjustment, I think chassie balance would be perfect.

I only wish that it was 100 kg lighter.  

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

3) Looks of the Car and the seats:

I just love the seats. period. The feel, upholstery, design and structure of the seats are just perfect. I wish they were little lighter, but 16 kg is better than nothing.

I always like the design of E9X. But in real life, especially the coupe M3 looks very masculin. The car sits low on the ground. It has a road presence. 19" competition wheels look very nice and they have plenty of off-set, especially the rears. Maybe you cannot see from the pictures, but the rear looks very strong. Just look at this:

Well, from the picture, not so interesting I guess. Nevertheless, new facelifted rear LEDs are very attractive and good looking.

I can see the power bulge on the hood from inside, from the driver's seat. In E46, you cannot see the bulge, but in E92, you can see that muscle. Air vents are very nice touch on the hood, too and one of them has direct connection with the intake. (left side vent)

I don't have plate holder in frontand no license plate, so the front looks more fierce.

My only anxiety with the design of the car was the interior. BUT luckily, the interior material and feel of the car come top notch. The steering wheel is small and fat, the gear knob just placed in hand perfectly:

Ambiance lighting is very nice. I like the interior LED orange lights on top of the doors, screen display and graphics of the i-drive is just flawless. Improved i-drive controls are very nice. Much much better than my father's facelifted E60 5 series.

The soft, leather like material of the mid. consul is very nice as well as carbon/leather texture trim. All these things sum up very nicely with the performance seats. I loved my TTS interior, and I like my E92's interior just better. Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

BMW Performance Seats:

The best addition to the Car and sums all the sporty touches inside the car perfectly:

White stiching complements the exterior color very nicely

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

4) Fuel Consumption and Engine Noise

It should be a crime to mention these 2 subjects in the same sentence   BUT you cannot have it all.

Exhaust and intake noise of the compact V8 is very nice. I didn't like the chain-saw like chattering of the E46 exhaust and this car has none of it.

It doesn't make my favorite noises (such as 360/430/458 sound) but I like it way better than my ex-997.1 Carrera S. On hard acceleration (for now, only 40% throttle load) intake makes good sound. Of course, unfortunately, not as good as CSL induction noise, but much better than E46 and Carrera S. Akrapovic full titan. exhaust is definately will take place in the car near future 

As for the fuel consumption of the V8: for the last 500 km, it consumes 15 L/100 km in mix driving, city traffic and some highway driving at speeds of 150 km/h. It is better than expected and it will decrease as I put more millage on the engine, but it will increase as I complete the first 2000 km run-in period

Actually, the car doesn't consume fuel much at all if you consider the performance. The problem is, here in Turkey, we pay ~1,90 Euro / 1 L of 97 RON fuel

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

As Ive been in Holidays I couldnt send my regards earlier.

Congratulations to your great new car. It looks perfect, I always been a big fan of the Carbon-Style Leather inside, looks just stunning.

Thanks for all the drive reports, I feel that I have to find one of that cars to drive ASAP and that I miss something if I wouldn't try so. 

So - have safe trips and enjoy the ride! 

Thanks pride355 . I also have to drive one, ideally on a track . It has been years that I have not driven an M3. Glad the car suits your needs and wants

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Lars997:

As Ive been in Holidays I couldnt send my regards earlier.

Congratulations to your great new car. It looks perfect, I always been a big fan of the Carbon-Style Leather inside, looks just stunning.

Thanks for all the drive reports, I feel that I have to find one of that cars to drive ASAP and that I miss something if I wouldn't try so. 

So - have safe trips and enjoy the ride! 

Thank you Lars Smiley

You definately have to try one. You may like it very much Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Gnil:

Thanks pride355 . I also have to drive one, ideally on a track . It has been years that I have not driven an M3. Glad the car suits your needs and wants

Gnil,

In your situation, you may not like the E92 M3 after your 997.2 on a track.

M3, unfortunately, carries approx. 150 kg more weight than 911 Carrera S and its brakes are not fade-free as Porsche's.

You may have great fun driving M3 on Alpine pass and roads but when it comes to track driving 911 is always above the M3. It is not just the lap time. M3 does lap the tracks quickly but the weight and the brakes are the main weaknesses of the car.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

One thing I noticed and like about E92 chassie is its neutral balance. My previous M3, both E36 and E46 tend to understeer if you are not on the throttle. In a corner, they first want to understeer. However, in E92, the car had more neutral balance and with throttle input, it starts to oversteer very nicely. Last night, around a 360 degree turn which had a very slippery asphalt, I threw the car in to the corner just after I brake for the corner and downshift a gear, the car just turned-in and took the corner. Then I put some throttle into the equation, and the rear of the car started to steer beautifully. with a quarter tour of opposite lock on the steering wheel and the car took almost all the turn with oversteer. A huge fun for me

Onur,

congrats on your new car !!!

Looking forward to exchange experiences, as i have kind of a "brother" car of yours ... but it is called the "black sheep" in our family ;-), manily 'cause it is all black (Black&White Edition).

Concerning your power oversteering ... did you set the DSC totally off or did you just choose POWER setting?

My impression: Compared to a 911 the M3 turns in like a bus ;-) it feels very long and clumsy ... and you have to adapt to another driving style to be quick thru' the bends ... it lacks grip on the rear axle even with semis, if you drive it like a 911.

How about the "load change" (Lastwechsel) when downshifting with DKG ... that is one of the annoying things with the DKG i experienced ... PDK does way better on this subject, but is lacking what you are calling "mechanical feel/feddback" from the gearbox.

And what about DKG not taking gears/changing gears too slow when trying to downshift from high revs .. like you do, when driving on track.

Fuel consumption on track was approx. 35-40l/100km in my case ... overall on my car after 10.000 km is 15.8l.

Maybe i should add some pics here too ... but since i am more of a driver than a car cosmetics addict, you might hate me for this sort of abuse ;-) But i could blame it on the kids.

Best regards

Tom

Rookie:

Onur,

congrats on your new car !!!

Looking forward to exchange experiences, as i have kind of a "brother" car of yours ... but it is called the "black sheep" in our family ;-), manily 'cause it is all black (Black&White Edition).

Concerning your power oversteering ... did you set the DSC totally off or did you just choose POWER setting?

My impression: Compared to a 911 the M3 turns in like a bus ;-) it feels very long and clumsy ... and you have to adapt to another driving style to be quick thru' the bends ... it lacks grip on the rear axle even with semis, if you drive it like a 911.

How about the "load change" (Lastwechsel) when downshifting with DKG ... that is one of the annoying things with the DKG i experienced ... PDK does way better on this subject, but is lacking what you are calling "mechanical feel/feddback" from the gearbox.

And what about DKG not taking gears/changing gears too slow when trying to downshift from high revs .. like you do, when driving on track.

Fuel consumption on track was approx. 35-40l/100km in my case ... overall on my car after 10.000 km is 15.8l.

Maybe i should add some pics here too ... but since i am more of a driver than a car cosmetics addict, you might hate me for this sort of abuse ;-) But i could blame it on the kids. 

Best regards

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for chiming in Smiley

Actually, I set the M Drive with the following setup that I cannot select from the buttons just near the gear knob:

Steering Wheel - SPORT

POWER - SPORT PLUS

DSC - MDM

Gearbox - S5

EDC - Normal

However, as soon as I sit in the car, I push the power button for throttle sensitivity and turn off the DSC completely. My default setting for the M-DKG is S5.

It is a fact that M3 has less traction at the back so the car tends to oversteer more. BUT it does oversteer slowly, you feel the lost of grip and dirft the car very nicely.

On the other hand, 911, even Carrera S, makes snap oversteer. It has huge traction but all of a sudden it loses it. You have to be quick to catch car. And once you catch the car, the rear gets in the line so quickly that you cannot make a long drift.

M3 is heavy but I cannot describe it as taking a corner like a bus Smiley

One should brake for the corner to have the weight in front than car easily turns in. It has neutral chassie balance, so you carry speed around the corner without oversteering or understeering. If you are confident with the throttle, you can just oversteer the car around the whole corner. This I like very much Smiley

I always brake on a straight line and downshift on a straight line. It is a habbit I get from racing. So, I haven't experienced any load change with M-DKG. And since I'm in the break-in period, I haven't downshift from high revs, but if the down gear is too close the red line, the transmission won't let you downshift. However, since the 7 speed gearbox has very close ratio gears, even closer than 6 speed manual, and you have enough power from 4000 rpm, one may not need that of a high rev downshift. BUT I remain silent about this till I try it myself.

I would also love to see the pictures of your beloved black sheep Smiley Especially the interior.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Nice ride, love those seats and wheels.

Congrats on your new ride, Pride ..

My dealer is trying to twist my arm on a new M3DCT, spec made the price up to £60k but he stated its mine for £56,500. I did not think they were budging on the list price's, is the CSL around the corner?..Also, see a red new M3 and was surprised how good it looked in that colour, anyone have any red M3 pics, thank you..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

Congrats on your new ride, Pride ..

My dealer is trying to twist my arm on a new M3DCT, spec made the price up to £60k but he stated its mine for £56,500. I did not think they were budging on the list price's, is the CSL around the corner?..Also, see a red new M3 and was surprised how good it looked in that colour, anyone have any red M3 pics, thank you..

Unfortunately, there won't be an E92 M3 CSL. At least I believe there won't be any after the introduction of M3 GTS. That's why I had pulled the trigger for the regular M3 SmileySmiley

I think there should be at least 10% discount on a facelifted M3. I would definately negotiate harder.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Well, here is a NEW UPDATE on the car, as of Today:

I had a race weekend in another city. Near that City, we have a Summer house, in Çeşme.

So I decided to go there 2 days earlier, race at the weekend and come back on Tuesday (31st of August)

So, I did 1600 km with the car. It is now at 2616 km. Taking the car for the first service Tomorrow. Hope, they won't say I miss the 2000 km service

During this 1600 km, my average speed was 101 km/h and my average fuel consumption was 13,1 L / 100 km.

I tried to avoid highway speeds more than 170 km/h. I stayed always below 5500 rpm.

The suspansion was very comfortable, and as a complete car, It has a very relax driving nature. Noise level was minimal as long as you are under 4500 rpm. It doesn't make me tired. DCT was brilliant. One thing I couldn't figure out was that sometimes Cruise Control wasn't working. I don't how to describe it but I pulled/pushed the small lever an It didn't work. But, after another re-start, then it worked. Don't care much, but made me curious.

And I want to tell you, again, that the seats are awesome They are so comfortable, so supportive, so good looking. They were never hot, even under the sun at 38 C. They are easy to clean, beautiful to look at. Just completes the car perfectly. Sums all the interior design. And have I told you that they are 8 kg ~ 18 lbs lighter / side.

Under heavy throttle, airbox has a very mean and loud intake noise, not as loud and as wild as CSL, though.
    --

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

After the trip, I gave her a good wash. Clear/transparent folio helped to protect the front facia of the car

P.S. I'm racing in Honda Cup series. There are 15 Honda Civic Type-R (old generation, with stock engine but some suspansion and brake upgrades, and stripped out interior) in the race series. I became 4th on Saturday and 3rd on Sunday.
    --

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

I can't help myself from repeating how gorgeous those seats are. Its good to hear that you are enjoying the car so much my friend.

OK, here is a little UPDATE with my M3. The Car has almost 6000 km, now:

M-DKG: I'm very satisfied with the tranny; better than SMGII. No question there. Yesterday, I had several rolls with my friends and M-DKG is a big advantage. It has shorter gear ratios in 2nd - 3rd - 4th and 5th gear. Upshifting to next gear at the redline gives the car small push. It is like "as you shifting, you jump a little ahead." This is very noticeable especially from 2nd to 3rd gear and 3rd to 4th gear. Shifting up pushes the car forward. It is different than SMGII brutal upshifts at the redline. This is different and I'm curious about PDK shifting especially w/SC set "sport+". You don't feel that forward thrust shifting to 5th - 6th and 7th, but very noteciable to 3rd and 4th gear.

About downsides of the Tranny? If you drive and accept it as a manual there is none. BUT if you start using it like video game, it has lag:

when you shift down multiple gears at once or

if you are low in rpm range and briefly applying throttle and upshift 3rd from 2nd gear.

How do you cure this? Well, about downshifting; if you are cruising @150 km/h in 7th gear and want to get on back to power band, you should be in 4th gear. If you are in D mode, when you kick down, you immidiately shift to 4th from 7th. BUT in manual mode either you downshift 2 gear at once so tranny holds 5th gear from 7th with a nice throttle blip. Once you engage the 5th gear, you just downshift another gear and slam the throttle; Off you go, with very satisfied gear changes you take off. Or you put your foot on the gas, and you downshift 1 gear at a time; 1 by 1 but waiting for the gear to engage. OTHERWİSE, if you put your foot on the gas and start downshifting, there you have the LAG.

OK, enough talk about gearbox. How does it ride?

EDC has big impact on the Car. In "comfort" setting, the car is very comfortable as the setting suggest but you feel unconnected from the road. The car feels like a comfy sedan. You still have a direct steering BUT car follows your action, it IS behind you.

However, once in the "normal" setting, you feel the stiffness of the chassie. Now, you are more connected with the car and the road. It doesn't jump on the road or feel nervous as it is in "sport" setting. You just have a firm ride and you move WITH the Car; NOT AHEAD. In "normal" setting you feel like you drive a sports GT.

About the speed limiter:

I have hit the limiter @ indicated 270 km/h so many times that I don't remember how many. This car is fast (of course for its class, not GT3 fast) in highway speeds above 200 km/h. When I hit the limiter, I feel like bumping on a wall, the nose of the car drops a little so that I have to look at the speedo if something is wrong. Then I see that I'm at the limiter. It must be removed.

Consumption? I averaged 14,5-15 liters/100 km. Not bad considering the 4.0L V8 and weight of the car. BTW, I'm guessing the weight of MY M3 to be around 1600-1610 kg with %90 fuel in the tank without me. I'll put my car on a scale, soon.

Any MOD coming? Yes, I have ordered Akrapovic EVO exhaust. At the same time, I'll upload EVOTECH software on the car which will be specificly tuned for Akra. Therefore I would like to ask if anyone here experienced EVOTECH software before? (maybe I shall ask this in a new thread) Any review will be appreciated.

More to follow, soon :)

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Thanks for the update, sounds like the M3 has fit perfectly into your life and needs. imo Its the perfect daily driver for anyone serious about cars. I'm waiting to see how the 1M turns out since the price for the M3 here is so damn astronomical.

Thanks for the update  It's detail like this that only owners can give

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Wow, you are really driving that thing pride! I only have that much mileage on mine now

That's great to hear, glad you are really enjoying the car. It's about time you got the Akrapovic!  

WOW Onur !!!!! 

Its by far the best M3 I've seen, just totally perfected equipped. The BMW Performance seats are just insane, what a great look it gives to the interior. And the wheels are PERFECT !!!.

Excellent taste, even the n-ring sticker is appropiate !!! This should be the way every M3 must look like !!!!! 

Enjoy it in good health !!! 

--

Alex18_996CC:

WOW Onur !!!!! 

Its by far the best M3 I've seen, just totally perfected equipped. The BMW Performance seats are just insane, what a great look it gives to the interior. And the wheels are PERFECT !!!.

Excellent taste, even the n-ring sticker is appropiate !!! This should be the way every M3 must look like !!!!! 

Enjoy it in good health !!! 

Thank you for the kind words Alex Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Mike S:

Wow, you are really driving that thing pride! I only have that much mileage on mine now

That's great to hear, glad you are really enjoying the car. It's about time you got the Akrapovic!  

Mike,

I find the stock exhaust too quiet. I want more sound and Akra's lightness and power gains make it the best exhaust on the market.

You are also satisfied with yours, right?

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Exceptionally happy and I'm so you will be too! 

Nice to hear you're enjoying a car SmileyAkrapovic exhausts are great , sound will be better and also you will get performance gain Smiley

More update w/pictures :

Well, I did just pass 9000 km mark on my M3. Everything is so far so good For the last 1000 km, the fuel consumption decrease by 10% and the car feels to rev more freely. I haven't done 100-200 km/h acceleration test yet but I'll do it once we have a dry night in Istanbul.

I also put BMC drop in filter in place of OEM air filter and it sounds better than OEM unit. It is not louder by a large margin but it is noticeable sound louder and more harmonic.

I'm still waiting for my Akrapovic Evolution full exhaust system. Also I have an order for BMW Performance black high gloss kidneys.

Now the pictures after a well deserved car wash:

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Front quarter view (love the wheels):

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Black high gloss Performance kidneys will look much better than OEM ones, IMO:

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689766 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409342 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255802 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65553 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858112 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774186 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM