Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: pretty dam impressive

RC:

Sorry but without any sound, the Tesla Roadster is just a joke on four wheels.

It is a lotus, body appearance wise.   Same thing ^^ could be said for most modern cars including most Porsche's. Only a few modern cars produce a real sound.

Tesla the company is all about the Model S and beyond. The model S is the best looking sedan in showrooms today.Tesla the corporation begins with what will come out of NUMMI. For transportation, drive in Quiet comfort, for fun drive a real fun car with sound. Apples and oranges - no compromise.

you have to like this plate Smiley

OP2pk.jpg

--
    Oversteer is when the passengers are scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared.

Chevrolet Stands Behind Volt With Standard Eight-Year, 100,000-Mile Battery Warranty

2010-07-14

• Volt’s long-life battery warranty most comprehensive of any electric vehicle
    • All 161 battery components validated to withstand extreme temperatures, terrain and driving patterns
    • GM’s Brownstown Township, Mich., battery plant will begin regular production in August

Brownstown Township, Mich. – The Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle with extended range will provide customers with an unprecedented, standard, eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on its advanced, lithium-ion battery. It is the automotive industry’s longest, most comprehensive battery warranty for an electric vehicle, and is transferable at no cost to other vehicle owners.

“The Chevrolet Volt’s batteries have exceeded our performance targets and are ready to hit the road,” said Micky Bly, GM executive director, global electrical systems. “Our customers are making a commitment to technology that will help reduce our dependence on petroleum. In turn, we are making a commitment to our customers to deliver the highest standards for value, safety, quality, performance and reliability for an unprecedented eight years/100,000 miles.”

The Volt’s comprehensive battery warranty covers all 161 battery components, 95 percent of which are designed and engineered by GM, in addition to the thermal management system, charging system and electric drive components.

The Volt is the only electric vehicle that can operate under a full range of climates and driving conditions without limitations or concern about being stranded by a depleted battery. It has a range of about 340 miles and is powered with electricity at all times. For up to the first 40 miles, the Volt is powered solely by electricity stored in its 16-kWh lithium-ion battery, using no fuel and producing no emissions. When the Volt’s lithium-ion battery runs low, an engine/generator seamlessly operates to extend the driving range another 300 miles on a full tank of fuel. (see Volt Freedom Drive)

The Volt’s advanced, lithium-ion battery is designed to deliver the value, safety, quality, performance, durability and reliability Chevrolet customers expect. Key battery features include:

• Thermal management for durability and reliability: The Volt is the only mass-market electric vehicle with a battery that can be warmed or cooled. The battery is designed to provide reliable operation, when plugged in, at temperatures as low as -13 degrees Fahrenheit (-25 C) and as high as 122 degrees Fahrenheit (+50 C). In cold weather, the battery will be preheated during charging to provide full power capability. In hot weather – the most challenging environment for a battery – the Volt’s battery can be chilled during charging. The Volt’s liquid thermal management system can also be powered during driving by the battery or engine/generator.
    • Diagnostics for safety and performance: The Volt’s battery management system continuously monitors the battery real-time for optimum operations.  More than 500 diagnostics run at 10 times per second, keeping track of the Volt’s battery pack; 85 percent of the diagnostics ensure the battery pack is operating safely, while the remaining 15 percent keep track of battery performance and life.
    • Cell design and chemistry for performance and efficiency: GM’s selection of a prismatic cell design and LG Chem’s manganese spinel lithium-ion chemistry is designed to provide long life and high power output, with a properly maintained temperature. This enables better vehicle acceleration and increased regenerative braking capability for improved vehicle efficiency.
    • Energy management for durability: Fully charging or fully depleting a battery shortens its life. The Volt’s energy management system never fully charges or depletes the battery. The Volt’s battery has top and bottom “buffer zones” to help ensure long life.

Testing for durability, reliability, safety and performance

GM engineers have completed more than 1 million miles and 4 million hours of validation testing of Volt battery packs since 2007, as well as each pack’s nine modules and 288 cells. The development, validation and test teams have met thousands of specifications and validated each of the Volt battery’s components.

Tests include short circuit, corrosion, dust, impact, water submersion, crush and penetration, and extreme temperature swings combined with aggressive drive cycles, also known as  “Shake, Bake and Roll.”

Ready for production

GM’s Brownstown Township plant, which began building prototype batteries in January, soon will begin regular battery production. (see GM First Battery Build)

"We’re moving fast to deliver for the customer and ensure the Volt launch stays on track,” said Nancy Laubenthal, plant manager of the Brownstown Battery Plant. "Last August we announced the investment in the Brownstown facility and in January built our first completed battery pack. Now we are finishing pre-production batteries and soon we will begin building production batteries for Chevrolet Volts that will be delivered to dealers before the end of the year."

Last year, the U.S. Department of Energy selected 45 companies, universities and organizations in 28 states – including GM’s Brownstown plant – to share more than $2 billion in awards for electric drive and battery manufacturing, and transportation electrification. Nearly half of the awards are designated for cell, battery and materials manufacturing facilities in Michigan.

great interview, screw the naysayers

racerx:

I have put an order to get some shares ;-)  . It did not reach my target yet, but no hurry, prices will drop a few times before they could rise seriously.

Gnil:
    racerx:

I have put an order to get some shares ;-)  . It did not reach my target yet, but no hurry, prices will drop a few times before they could rise seriously.

That has been my thinking since I sold my IPO shares @$25.20, But the Rav4 deal with Toyota is something I suspected might happen (plus others) and will/should prop up the price. The only thing that can bring the price down to where I wanted to re-enter @$10.00 is a severe collapse in the overall economy.

Anyway I am happy that they seem to be doing very well but wish they bring the Model S to market next year not 2012.

racerx:

I

The only thing that can bring the price down to where I wanted to re-enter @$10.00 is a severe collapse in the overall economy.

A lack of pre orders of the S could also bring prices down seriously. They need 5'000 pre orders by jan 2011 . At the moment they are about 3'000

But aiming at 10 $ it might be a bit low. i don't say it could not happen , but that seems the lowest the share could go according to Morgan  Stanley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

They need 5'000 pre orders by jan 2011 . At the moment they are about 3'000

I don't know why they "need" anything. Musk re-iterated in the interview that they had enough funds to bring the Model S to market BEFORE the IPO, now they have a $200 million dollar cushion which he said will help to develop their SUV and other models.

As far as having 3000 pre-orders that is great. The only thing I would pre-order would be a pizza, not a car I had not seen or driven. When it is finally in their showrooms and out on the street I think it will sell like hotcakes Smiley.  The look and tech and lack of oil/mechanic hassles will do the trick. It looks way better than a panny and Mercedes just did their part by phucking up the CLS.

No worry on sales unless we are in a Super depression.

racerx:
    Gnil:

They need 5'000 pre orders by jan 2011 . At the moment they are about 3'000

I don't know why they "need" anything. Musk re-iterated in the interview that they had enough funds to bring the Model S to market BEFORE the IPO, now they have a $200 million dollar cushion which he said will help to develop their SUV and other models.

Talking about the share value ;-)  Tesla will also face uncertainties. They have planed a margin pro car higher then any other constructor is able to do now. If they do not meet their goal, that will keep the sotck low too.

They are also doing their own distribution...that might not be the best ( cheapest) way to go with usually far more problems and costs then pros.

Delais could be very bad for the stock price

And just launching a new car brand is always very difficult. Not many have managed it.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I am having some trouble with your english this morning, but I believe Musk covered all that and even made note that they are years ahead of any plans by other companies. He covered the owning of the distribution channel and don't forget almost 0 maintenance with these cars. No oil in the car anywhere and they are already into their 3rd or so generation of their own electric motor and batteries.

Musk and his team are simply GOOD albeit a little slow.

See his talk about "fools or liars or both".

electric range rover

• NOVEMBER 4, 2010, 2:01 A.M. ET

Panasonic Invests in Tesla

TOKYO—Panasonic Corp. said it has invested $30 million in electric-car maker Tesla Motors Inc. in order to cement its relationship with a notable start-up in the fledgling electric-vehicle market and expand its own push into green energy businesses.

Panasonic, which currently supplies lithium-ion batteries for Tesla's automobiles, said it now holds around 2% of Tesla shares after purchasing the stock in a private placement at $21.15 per share. Tesla shares rose 52 cents to $21.77 in trading Wednesday

General Electric to Buy 25,000 Electric Cars Over Next Five Years

By DAVID SCHEPP Posted 10:20 AM 11/11/10

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/dBnlQ3

In a bid to promote electric-vehicle adoption, General Electric plans to purchase 25,000 battery-powered vehicles during the next five years for its own use and to lease to commercial customers, the company said Thursday.

GE (GE) said it will convert at least half of its global fleet of 30,000 vehicles and will partner with its fleet customers to deploy the 25,000 electric vehicles by 2015, in what the Connecticut-based conglomerate called the largest-ever single electric-vehicle purchase commitment.

The first batch of 12,000 vehicles will come from General Motors, GE said, beginning with the Chevrolet Volt next year. The Volt is slated to begin rolling off assembly lines later this month

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/dBnlQ3

racerx:
    •  

Panasonic, which currently supplies lithium-ion batteries for Tesla's automobiles, said it now holds around 2% of Tesla shares after purchasing the stock in a private placement at $21.15 per share. Tesla shares rose 52 cents to $21.77 in trading Wednesday

And now it is at 31.54 Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yeah I saw that this morning and that is crazy, just like so many stocks up for no reason. It is still a loooooong way before the Model S comes off the assembly line so I think this is irrational exuberance. I thought it would be going to $10 So I could get in.

Did you buy some or waiting for a pullback?

I place 3 times an order in the last 4 weeks, but the stock goes up so quickly that they did not go through.

The stock is now nearly as high as what Morgan and Stanley had thought it would be by the time the S is out on time, with no significant problems .

They have announced only good news for the moment. Their sales are 10% higher then predicted, the S in going as planed with no delai, and specially they manage to have their 30 % margin.

But  I would well imagine that if there is a slight bad news , the stock shall drop as quickly.

If all goes bad, it can go down to $ 10, medium would be around $ 19.... but then, all these predictions are ofter very wrong.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I would think the coal industry would be investing big in promoting electric cars ("Powered by nature's own clean coal!") and calling down hellfire on BP and the oil companies. Get everyone driving cars powered by them.

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

German Company to Build World's Largest Solar Plant in California

Oct 28, 2010

The United States on Monday 25 October approved the largest solar plant ever to be built, the Department of the Interior said.

Solar thermal collectors

The Blythe Solar Power Project is to be built by German company Solar Millennium AG on US government land in the Mojave Desert in south-eastern California near the Arizona border.

It will produce an estimated 1,000 megawatts of solar power - enough for 300,000 to 750,000 homes, the department said. "The Blythe Solar Power Project is a major milestone in our nation's renewable energy economy and shows that the United States intends to compete and lead in the technologies of the future," Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said.

Was able to buy some in the $17 range when it dropped after the IPO.  

Gnil:

I place 3 times an order in the last 4 weeks, but the stock goes up so quickly that they did not go through.

The stock is now nearly as high as what Morgan and Stanley had thought it would be by the time the S is out on time, with no significant problems .

They have announced only good news for the moment. Their sales are 10% higher then predicted, the S in going as planed with no delai, and specially they manage to have their 30 % margin.

But  I would well imagine that if there is a slight bad news , the stock shall drop as quickly.

Gnil, I can't quite square up the positive view above with the press report  of 10th. November copied below:

"NEW YORK - Shares of luxury electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc. surged Wednesday, a day after the company reported a third-quarter loss that was not as bad as analysts had feared.

THE SPARK: The California company lost $34.9 million, or 38 cents per share, in the third quarter as car sales fell and it spent more on developing a new model.

Analysts had expected a loss of 43 cents per share.

THE BIG PICTURE: Sales of Tesla's $101,500 Tesla Roadster electric sports car fell by about half to 151. But the company is diversifying, and it spent heavily in the quarter to develop its upcoming, lower-priced Model S sedan.

The company is aiming for a mid-2012 rollout of the Model S, which will be assembled in Fremont, Calif.

SHARE ACTION: Shares jumped $3.61, or 14.7 percent, to $28.24 in afternoon trading. They were priced at $17 for the initial public offering in June, jumped 41 percent to $23.89 on the first day of trading, then fell to a low of $14.98 in July before beginning a steady rally."

If sales of the Roadster do not fall any further, the company will have to survive on just 50 units/month until mid-2012, and that does not take into account the fact that Lotus' supplies of rolling chassis were supposed to stop some time before then.  Smiley Smiley

It looks like the stock price is driven more by hype than by fundamentals.Smiley 

--

fritz

^^ Simply amazing. Fritz's negativity had the veil of a light reality a couple years back when running a vehicle on something other than oil was just a hope or a dream but to still carry on with the same view now is lunacy.

Tesla in particular is flush with cash from the Govt. loan, the IPO, the investments from Toyota, Daimler, Panasonic, the Gulf, and the VC's. They have more than enough to launch the very REAL Model S. The roadster was never anything but a testbed for the technology, which was a great success.

The stock is overpriced imo but has nothing in the least to do with sales of the roadster. Give it up! The future of wheeled vehicle transportation is electric for personal vehicles and natural gas for freight. It's here.

Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Ford Focus Electric, Ford Transit, Tesla ....................

Natural Gas - here now and the way forward;

Check these and learn

http://www.peterbilt.com/newsdetails.aspx?id=303

http://macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=4338

http://www.kenworth.com/6500_arc_pre_mor.asp?file=2255

http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=71987

i always get a smile when reading "zero emission" on those cars. Lets talk clear and see how many CO² was generated in the build process as well as in the power generating process. I certainly value the CO² avoided in running the car against an fossil based engine. Nevertheless, they probably burn probably more CO2 in the the build  then in the run!

Well if most everything gets electrified, from most cars to the power that runs the factory and heats/cools the factory, then the power plants can be either nuclear, renewables, or NG or Coal with high tech scrubbers on the smoke stacks.

That would go a long way to cleaning up the air. In fact I will look it up and see how much of the smog comes from cars/trucks. Just look at the traffic jams in major cities with all those cars wastefully burning fuel and going no where. With electric cars no pollution in the cities. With NG trucks only water and much less CO2 comes out, no particulates, no NOX.

But don't forget CO2 is very useful and necessary;

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) contributes to plant growth as part of the miracle of nature known as photosynthesis. This enables plants to combine Carbon Dioxide and water with the aid of light energy to form sugar. Some of these sugars are converted into complex compounds that increase dry solid plant substances for continued growth to final maturity. However, when the supply of carbon dioxide is cut off, or reduced, the complex plant cell structure cannot utilize the sun's energy fully and growth or development is curtailed.

Although carbon dioxide is one of three main components which combine to produce the products necessary for plant growth, the amount of carbon dioxide in the air is only 0.03% (250 to 330 parts per million). This compares to 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 0.97% trace gases in normal air. Numerous tests have proven that during the winter months carbon dioxide concentrations inside greenhouses is invariably much lower than in outside air. This same phenomenon has been shown in controlled environment gardens

racerx:

IPO tomorrow! I am in for a modest amount.

RC:

I think I mentioned it before: I bought Tesla stock at 22 USD some while ago because Mike was so excited about Tesla and he told us that he bought stock too. So I thought to myself "what the heck, if Mike as a successful business man and engineer buys Tesla stock, this must be right then...", so I bought it too. When Tesla hit 36 USD, I sold the entire stock. 

I must have missed mikes stock tip and I searched for it.

Model S Alpha Hits the Road from Tesla Motors on Vimeo.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/18614767

fritz:

Smiley Smiley

Weeeeell, the Roadster's chassis and body are built by Lotus and the Model S is not yet in production, so which one, in your view, is " in technical terms and in fit and finish a much better product than any other company" makes??  Smiley

You do seem suffer from a tendency to let your enthusiasm for electric cars run away with you, without being able to put forward any concrete, rationally argued facts or figures to back up your exhuberance. Smiley
    Or do you just own stock in Tesla? Smiley

Maybe we should just wait until Tesla has built and sold enough cars for JD Power to publish an owner-satisfaction survey before going overboard on this. Smiley

It seems that enthusiasm was warranted as the Model S has delivered. Even a half hour charge foe 150 miles of driving!

I like the electric roof graphic for open/close

A really good test-drive in a beautiful red model S following a black model S. These cars look really sharp and seem to have a very comfortable interior and ride. watch at the end the views of these cars when the couple are walking around them.

Video removed...mail

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

the 17 inch screen is impressive..I love it

--

993 c2

John H:

Video removed...mail

somebody messed with it John, but it's back in correct form for now

When I started the video and saw that it was 23 minutes long, I figured I would watch a few minutes and then skip ahead. Didn't really work out that way. Even in boring traffic, it is a fascinating car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777980 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441990 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262926 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261162 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85414 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5684 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880836 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816388 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM