Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 Spyder has been approved for production

The 918 has been shown in Leipzig too but it was merely a production "dummy" and not really a working driving ready car. So expect some more or less major changes in final design, specs and other things.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Teamspeed

It looks stubby to me. Camera angle?

--

You will not see it live nberry?

August 19th-22nd, 2010
    Opa-Locka Airport, Miami, Fl

Select a viewing time*

Thursday
    Aug 19, 2010
    9:00 am - 11:00 am
    11:00 am - 1:00 pm
    1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
    3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
    5:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Friday
    Aug 20, 2010

Saturday
    Aug 21, 2010

Sunday
    Aug 22, 2010

It really looks small...I LOVE IT!

Leblanc:

You will not see it live nberry?

August 19th-22nd, 2010
    Opa-Locka Airport, Miami, Fl

Select a viewing time*

Thursday
    Aug 19, 2010

Friday
    Aug 20, 2010

Saturday
    Aug 21, 2010

Sunday
    Aug 22, 2010

It really looks small...I LOVE IT!

It does look small. I wonder how much of that is a function of the 22" wheels. Hopefully they will be 19" for production.

interior looks rather snug (tight)

reminds me of this:

_MG_5937.jpg

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Porsche 918 Spyder in action...

...thanks to Road & Track and Porsche!!!

I’ve just seen the Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid do something it hasn’t done before in public: Fire up, hum up and drive around, sort of fledgling steps for this supercar from Porsche that’s going to expand—wildly!—the concept of automotive hybrid.

The location of this drive was a secluded road in the California’s Carmel Valley, the approach to this secret location possibly compromised by a convoy of 14 Porsches, one Cadillac CTS Sports Wagon (me) and a Jaguar XK (Design Director Richard Baron and ace photographer John Lamm).

Introduced at this spring’s Geneva show, the 918 Spyder was driven in the Carmel Valley by Porsche’s head of design Michael Mauer, who had previously clued us in on the car’s styling cues, both with Porsches in general as well as the fabled 917 competition car. Also around for chats was Dr. Gernot Döllner, project leader for the car. Dr. Döllner shared technical details I hadn’t heard about the 918’s hybrid specialities. In particular, it’s quite different from the Cayenne Hybrid’s “Honda-IMA-with-a-clutch” approach; this latter, essentially an engine/clutch/electric motor/clutch/gearbox all in a line. (The Infiniti M Hybrid employs a similar layout.)

By contrast, the 918’s 500-bhp mid-mounted V-8 is coupled to a twin-clutch gearbox, with one of the hybrid’s two electric motors augmenting this gearbox’s rear drive through a separately clutched offset linkage; the other electric motor feeds power only to the front wheels. In hybrid mode, a full 718 horsepower is available.

The 918 Spyder is a plug-in, its lithium-ion battery pack being chargeable from a remote electrical socket. As Dr. Döllner explained, a rotary control to the lower right of the steering wheel selects four different modes of operation: Electric, Hybrid, Sport and Race. Electric, of course, is the quietest, eerie in its Jetsons-like hum. Hybrid is the most economical, having met the magic European “3 liters/100 km” mark on its city cycle. Though this test cycle is somewhat less aggressive (and thus better for hybrids) than our EPA City evaluation, the 918’s equivalent of 78 mpg U.S. is astounding in light of its expected 0-to-60-mph time of 3.2 seconds and 198-mph top speed. These latter two, mind, would evidently come in Sport or Race mode.

The rest of the 918 Spyder’s control layout is both 21st century and yet also traditional Porsche-logical. A steering wheel switch on the left spoke toggles through longitudinal information, speed, distance, etc., visible in the left binnacle. A corresponding switch on the right toggles propulsion information in the right binnacle. An engine tachometer resides in the center. A free-standing buttonless center console pays ergonomic homage to the iPod in the rationality of its touch-panel control scheme for heat/ac and the like.

True, at the moment the 918 Spyder is only a show car, one that motivates but is still in early stages of development. As shown by these details, though, and confirmed by the company, it is producible and will be produced. I won’t speculate on when and how much, simply because Porsche says it’s too early to say for sure.

But it’s clear that this 918 Spyder is going to revolutionize the word “hybrid.” Being as I’ve long been a hybrid enthusiast, I can’t wait to drive it!

Porsche-918-Spyder_Road+Track

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 Spyder walk-around in Monterey...

...thanks to Excellence and Porsche!!!

Monterey, California—After green-lighting its 918 Spyder concept for production, Porsche is presenting the car at the annual car week in Monterey.

Last night, we had a chance to walk around the 918 with Porsche design head Michael Mauer — and hear the car fire up. Mauer, who once got stuck designing trucks for Freightliner, says it’s far easier to design “something you actually want to drive” — and it’s pretty clear that he wanted to drive the 918. And he has, albeit at limited speeds. That’s because the concept car is not yet ready for anything beyond relatively low speeds (recall that the Boxster Concept could only be coasted down a hill for motion photography). While the concept car can be driven under the power of its full-race, 3.4-liter RS Spyder V8, it is far from being sorted. Porsche will be conducting “photo drive-by opportunities” for the media on a private road in Monterey County later today, but we’ll have to wait some time before driving a 918 in earnest. Until then, we can only guess what 500 normally-aspirated horsepower and another 200 or so electric horses might feel like.

Walking around the car, it seems both more compact and better proportioned than Porsche’s last supercar, the V10-powered Carrera GT. It has a more voluptuous shape, as well, one that’s far more hourglass than prototype racer. While some of the car’s details — square headlights, Audi-ish taillights and busy rear bumper — didn’t win us over in person, either, many others did. The front clamshell is marvelously sculpted, its softly shaped high fenders cut by strong definition lines before the plunge to meet the low hood. The topside central radiator exhaust vent takes a cue from those used in GT2s and GT3s, but is Porsche’s best execution to date. Mauer is hopeful that the one-piece clamshell will make it to production, and we can see why: Cutting it up to add a smaller hood would kill the surfacing. While the delicate fender surfacing continues at the rear, it is overwhelmed by a Tesla-like decklid, boomerang wing supports, and a busy rear bumper.

Two Porsche executives offered explanations for why the 918 differs from the Carrera GT in not showing its engine through the decklid, one of them saying the V8 sits too low in the chassis to make much of an impression, the other noting that showing off a powerful engine isn’t as acceptable as it once was. The latter is an interesting peek into Porsche’s current discussions, though the huge side exhausts indicate those discussions are ongoing. Mauer is interested in keeping the side pipes but knows that drive-by noise standards may not allow Porsche to do so.

The headlights are another interesting feature. Mauer says that he was inspired by the basic shape of the stacked headlights seen in 917Ks, but that he altered the idea, squaring it somewhat to work with his favored four-LED setup. The large, multi-spoke centerlock wheels were missing the clear covers they featured at the 918’s world debut. When questioned, Mauer chuckled. “If I am honest, they have been (temporarily) lost!” The clear discs were designed to be removed according to customer preference, and he suspects some will like the car better without them (we do). The clear covers — and the wheel design itself — are meant as a reference Porsche race cars of old, as Mauer liked the central dishes seen on 935 and 956/962 wheels.

Of course, things will change. Mauer says the car will probably get real side mirrors rather than the current cameras. The windshield is too low, as are the fairings (check the top of the headrests). There is no provision for a top, as the side windows end well short of the fairings and there is no provision for a rear window. The Carrera GT ceramic composite brakes look tiny behind the 21- and 22-inch wheels, and the rear tires will probably end up wider than the current 295s. Inside, the rising center console is a clue to the fact that the 918 is built on a modified CGT tub, while the pedals and pedal box are a dead giveaway.

Still, it’s a concept car far more finished than most. Not only does the 918 run and drive, a peek into its wheel wells reveals reasonable finish in places the camera won’t see. Things like weather seals around the doors and windows not only exist but are well executed, and the frameless-window doors sound better when shut than the similarly frameless doors on a production Volkswagen EOS do.

The 918 designation is also a highly interesting choice. When Porsche put the Carrera badge on its basic 911 starting in 1984, the name — which means “race” — was never again as special as it once was. By the 1990s, Porsche’s move away from numeric model designations was complete. Or, almost complete. Ironically, the Porsches with numeric designations are the special ones these days, whether they’re limited-edition “911s,” GT2s, or GT3s. Or 918s.

Mauer is a big fan of the 918 Spyder designation and says that he will fight for it. The passionate designer’s eyes brightened at the idea thatthe moniker could leave the door open to a 918 coupe down the road. May we suggest a 918K?

Porsche-918-Spyder_Excellence-article

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hope they use some of the styling elements on the new Boxster.

Why the 918K?

The "k" designation on the 917 stood for "Kurtz"or short tail (as opposed to the original "Lang Heck" or Long Tail.

I don't think that this 918's tail can get any shorter, so is would be silly to  designate a coupe as 918K as there is no LH

What we really need is a RSR version of this car...and QUICKLY!

The opposition is getting stronger by the day.

Leblanc:

And finally, if you are interested in the car and live on the East coast, Porsche will be bringing the car to Florida. If you are invited to the event GO. If you go, Porsche will contact you and tell you when anymore information is out. Also if you go, you will be given first dibs on the car. Porsche will also be asking you many questions because they want this car to be what customers want, this time around they want the 918 to be very customer friendly.

Well, the above reference about to having to attend the event to be considered for preferential sales treatment is REALLY going to piss me off if strictly true!  I am already annoyed with the "one-may-not-sit-in-it" treatment (see 918 @ Hockenheim thread) that I got from PCNA when they called me about the "VIP" events in CA and FL.  I told them it was a waste of my time if I was not allowed to evaluate my 1,93m frame as a comfortable fit.  Why would I want to spend $600,000 or even $750,000 if I can't fit in the car?  I could do a lot of other great things with that much cash.

This bit about Porsche wanting the 918 to be customer friendly must not extend to their marketing efforts, ... only the car.  And, just exactly how will the 918 be customer-friendly if no chance to evaluate seating is given?  Smiley

I went to all the trouble to fly to the Geneva Auto Show for the Carrera GT intro so that I could sit in the car to see if I fit.  When seated in the show car, I fit just fine for height, but the seat installed in the show car was uncomfortably narrow.  I was informed by a Porsche engineer that a wider seat was a no charge option.  I asked, :How much wider?"  He made a gesture with his thumb and forefinger that looked like maybe an inch.  I made my concerns known and went home needing to sit in a wide-option seat to make up my mind.

I was invited to attend a Leipzig event later that Summer where hot-lap rides would be given in some early production-intent CGTs -- no driving allowed.  I asked two things: 1) Would there be a Fayence yellow car to see (magazine and web photos can have poor color fidelity)? and 2) Would I be able to sit in a wide-option seat?  Their answer was "we can't guarantee that there will be either".  So, I declined the offer as a waste of my time.  You know what happened next, of course.  There actually was a Fayence yellow car there to be seen and most of the hot-lap cars had the XT wide-option seats installed.  Why couldn't Porsche have lifted a finger to find out some real answers before making stupid blanket statements designed only as a hyper-conservative cover-ones-ass?

After I heard from some friends that attended the event that both of my wishes had been easily available, I called PCNA to tell them I felt cheated by their previous statements.  How was I supposed to find out if the wide-option seat was enough wider?  After I deluged Porsche with hot-tempered e-mails, a very helpful PCNA guy called to say that he thought the Atlanta tech center had a CGT for training that had the XT seats and I could come down and try those.  That finally worked and I did, indeed, fit the XT seats.

But, ... what an ordeal!  It was almost enough to make one lose interest.  This time seems like it might be a repeat performance by Porsche Smiley

And I won't even go into the color-to-sample storySmiley

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

What a farce, i never knew the ordeal you went through to get your CGT and your a serious potentional customer willing to part with that kind of money and you get this kind of response, hell if your now paying out more this time around and for starters you can't sit in it, then it's just a tip of a nightmare ordeal.

I can see why your skipping this one.

Quite possibly porsches may just ignite hense the no sit in!

After all they do call the 918 the new spark.

--

I just noticed how long i've been on here for, nearly 5 years Smiley i'm stuck in a time warp, can't believe it's been that long, 5 years later and still no porsche Smiley 

Sorry to heard that. Its no way to treat costumers.

Why Porsche didnt show the car mock up for costumers try out  ...for sure you with 1,92m  don´t fit in like you can see from the man sited  down in the videos but like Sean73T pointed out it will be changed for the production car.

I really hope they don´t mess up with the car basic design,i love that gap between the back rest and side windows, steering wheel configuration, exposed carbon fiber,central console,dashboard,seats,etc...only i think they have to change somehow the tailpipes they look kinda fakes to me and of course get ride that electric stuff.

And Porsche why the car lights  weren´t on during presentation or rear spoiler/air ducts up for the cameras? Maybe some Porsche executive broke it or worst...bad engineered(if so dam italian junk).

We've already got a fuel crisis, so an energy crisis should be avoided.

They will be introducing electric meters for  theses electric cars and tax you by the killowatt!

The reason being just like worn engines worn batteries will zap more electric and take longer to charge and burn out quicker, due to sulfation and as you know how many batteries are replaced due to sulfation through lack of charge and short trips stop start conditions.

Just imagine an electric car sat on the drive for a few weeks with flat batteries!

While on the subject of batteries i was in traffic the other day and there was a new mini next to us and when it came to a stop it cut out and started back up when the traffic started to move, bloody stop start technology, my father said well thats bloody stupid, in our congested bumper to bumper roads everytime the foot goes on the clutch for more an a few seconds it cuts out, i wouldnt like to be in traffic because it's liable to not start after too many of that on off actions, not to mension if theres a crash or roadworks on the motorway and the turbos at high temp and needs to be cooled down, and the traffic comes to a stop, and the engine does it's cut off thing thats just no good.

I expect to see battery and starter motor failures at the very minimum on those kind of cars, aswell as cracked turbo chargers.

--

I just noticed how long i've been on here for, nearly 5 years Smiley i'm stuck in a time warp, can't believe it's been that long, 5 years later and still no porsche Smiley 

Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Drives: "Countdown to Motion..."

Monterey California, August 2010: The Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid made its driving debut on a closed road in Monterey California, just days prior to its appearance at the 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance. After being shipped over from Germany by plane, engineers handed the keys of the new 918 Spyder Hybrid to Porsche AG Design Chief Michael Mauer. The car drove under its own power which comes from the mid mounted 3.4-litre V8 out of the RS Spyder as well as an all electric mode which powers just the front wheels...

Porsche Heritage by Patrick Long...

Patrick Long gets behind the wheel of a 1960 Porsche 356B 2000 GS Carrera GT and drives on the world famous back roads of Monterey California...

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

One thing Long needs to learn is pronounce Porsche correctly. It is not Pors-cha but Porsche.

FWIW, I had occasion to speak with Porsche in Atlanta and the women kept referring to Pors-cha. I told her I thought it was Porsche. She said she was told otherwise.

--

nberry:

One thing Long needs to learn is pronounce Porsche correctly. It is not Pors-cha but Porsche.

FWIW, I had occasion to speak with Porsche in Atlanta and the women kept referring to Pors-cha. I told her I thought it was Porsche. She said she was told otherwise.

Nick its pronounced Pors-cha, the guy was german and not english Smiley

nberry:

FWIW, Patrick Long was born in California so is presumably American, not German. Whichever it is, he pronounces Porsche correctly. He even almost got Weissach right! Smiley

He sounded really enthusiastic in that clip. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    nberry:

FWIW, Patrick Long was born in California so is presumably American, not German. Whichever it is, he pronounces Porsche correctly. He even almost got Weissach right! Smiley

He sounded really enthusiastic in that clip. 

I'm talking about Ferdinand Porsche as being German and not Long  Smiley

So the correct pronunciation is Pors-cha?

--

nberry:

Yeah,

It's German, not French.  Smiley

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

he's saying it right.... in english lol.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

More like Porsh-uh

Here a link to hear all your favorit German Brands (including Porsh-uh):

german.about.com/library/blaudio_porsche.htm

993Targa:

More like Porsh-uh

Here a link to hear all your favorit German Brands (including Porsh-uh):

german.about.com/library/blaudio_porsche.htm

Exactly - it's a proper noun in German so it should be pronounced even in English according to the way that is correct in German (which is the way the good old Doc pronounced it himself) Smiley

--

RT Moderator
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

nberry:

That depends entirely on how you personally would pronounce what you write phonetically as "Pors-cha", Nick. Smiley

Personally, I would never use that as a phonetic spelling for the Porsche name for English speakers, but that's just me.

First off, I would write the first syllable as "Por", with no "s", whereby this syllable would be pronounced closer to the "porr" in the British pronounciation of "porrage", not the "pawrage" I think you might hear from some Americans and also not quite like the the word "pour" as you hear from most English speakers who otherwise come close to getting "Porsche" right.

As for your use of "cha" for the phonetic expression of the second syllable, that makes me think of the sound of the Latin American dance, i.e., cha-cha-cha, which is nowhere near right. In German, including Austrian German, the letters "sch" combined give the same sound as the "s" in the English "sugar" or the "sh" in "shoe", among other words. Smiley 

Now comes the hardest part, the "e" at the end. This is not just totally ignored, like the "e" at the end of so many English words. But to say that is pronounced as an "a" would be in English does not help, because English is not a phonetically pure language  -  there are just too many variations on the pronounciation of the letter "a" in English, depending on the particular word, the combination of letters, or the speaker's dialect. Just think of the different pronounciations of "a" in cat, cape, care and call, and the geographic variants of each of those words. Think: "You say tomato and I say tomato".

This "aid" for the pronounciation of the final "e" probably goes back to the old British car mag "rule" that Porsche should be pronounced like Shakespeare's character Portia in the The Merchant of Venice, which is fine if you pronounce the "a" in "Portia" as a typical Brit would, which means that it sounds much like the short interjection "er" in hesitant speech, where the "r" is totally silent. 

Confused yet? Smiley

--

fritz

Agreed fritz - I'm looking forward to nberry's witty riposte  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

I am speechless. 

Actually, it was very informative. I knew good old Fritz would come through.

That said, I believe I got it. I now know it is not Pors-cha and definitely not Porsche. From now on whenever I need to pronounce Porsche, I will take swig of German beer and allow assimilation provide the correct pronunciation.

--

Could this be the correct pronunciation?

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Porsche

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

I am speechless. 

That's one way of making sure you don't mispronounce things. Smiley

But it won't last.  SmileySmiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690401 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409703 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255934 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235187 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65639 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774618 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM