Crown

Forum - Thread

GT2 RS - impressive performer on the street too ?

According to one of our sources who had the chance to drive the GT2 RS back to back to a 997 Turbo S, the direct performance comparison left him with a huge surprise. The GT2 RS wasn't able to leave the Turbo S behind at speeds up to 230 kph (due to traffic, higher speeds weren't possible), both cars performed practically the same. From standstill, the 997 Turbo S usually was a third of a car length ahead in the speed range under 120 kph.

On the track, things may look different of course but for street driving, the 997 Turbo S seems to be the better and much cheaper choice. 

I just thought it might be interesting.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: GT2 RS - impressive performer on the street too ?

All Porsche GT cars are longing  for a modern transmission.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

All Porsche GT cars are longing  for a modern transmission.

That's exactly what they're NOT about... Smiley

@RC: Acceleration figures have always suggested the Turbo S is more than a match for the GT2 RS, I'm guessing the interaction and experience is on a whole other level though. Smiley

RC:

According to one of our sources who had the chance to drive the GT2 RS back to back to a 997 Turbo S, the direct performance comparison left him with a huge surprise. The GT2 RS wasn't able to leave the Turbo S behind at speeds up to 230 kph (due to traffic, higher speeds weren't possible), both cars performed practically the same. From standstill, the 997 Turbo S usually was a third of a car length ahead in the speed range under 120 kph.

On the track, things may look different of course but for street driving, the 997 Turbo S seems to be the better and much cheaper choice. 

Yes, yes, yesssss!!!!! Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

on tomorrows sport auto is a high speed test 0-300-0 with gt2 rs (also bugatti veyron)

my guess he will performe somewhere 32 secs up to 300kmh with 2 persones an full fuel tank. (official 28,9)

(nor 911 turbo or turbo s would be able to hit this time.)

the normal gt2 had with 2 persone an full fuel thank around 36 secs. (official 33 secs)

if you accelerate gt2 or rs from 200 kmh to top speed no stock turbo s pdk will have a chance. GT2 and of cours gt2rs pulls mutch harder from 200kmh up to top speed.

Had a "recontre" with my gt2 against turbo pdk on german high ways and i could cleary pull away from 230 to high speed.

(on the speeds were gear change arent important 200kmh< you cleary see the advantage of rw driven gt2 / gt2 rs

When did you drive over 230 kph in Switzerland lately ? Just wondering.  

My point was: for street driving, unless you are living in Germany and drive on the Autobahn only, the GT2 RS may not be the best (and cheapest) choice.  

Btw: the GT2 stands no chance against the Turbo S up to 240 kph, we already tried it. 

Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to drive over 240 kph due to traffic.

Another advantage of the 997 Turbo S for street driving: winter time (Switzerland ).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

gt2 and gt2rs make sense for track. they are overkill on normal roads and the turbo s pdk is far better suited for daily driving.

on a track (which is their natural habitat) both of them would smoke the turbo s

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

RC:

When did you drive over 230 kph in Switzerland lately ? Just wondering.  

My point was: for street driving, unless you are living in Germany and drive on the Autobahn only, the GT2 RS may not be the best (and cheapest) choice.  

Btw: the GT2 stands no chance against the Turbo S up to 240 kph, we already tried it. 

Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to drive over 240 kph due to traffic.

Another advantage of the 997 Turbo S for street driving: winter time (Switzerland ).

no in switzerland 150 is max for me, otherwise chance for walking is to big.

Didnt have any probleme to make a big gap between turbo pdk and gt2 from 200 - 305 kmh (tacho speed).

As i said when the advantage of the pdk gets lost (somewhat over 200kmh) the gt2 performe well better. I think porsche should have used the 7th gear in pdk as a driving gear, and not for fuel save... (top speed is reatched in 6th gear)

otherwise i agree that on lower speeds the pdk is i big adventage specialy with this short gear ratio witch the turbo / s drives.

But as i said over 200 kmh to high speed, when both cars floor it same time the gt2 is still the dady..

200-300kmh in a stock gt2 needs about 20 - 21sek,( 200-260 in 8 secs, 6th gear goes pretty slow)  where a turbo pdk needs about 26-27 sec for 200-300kmh

gt2 rs must be around 18 - 19 secs for that

Thanks for the info RC 

my 2 penny worth  :

If 997ttS engine is so good why did Porsche not use it in GT2RS

Dario, why are Porsche always quoting such optimistic 0-300kph times ? They did for the CGT, GT2 and (I agree with you the RS will be over 30s) GT2RS.....

RC said:

Why is it the "best" choice, these cars are for driving pleasure, for my Porsches, I like changing gear, it is fun and Porsche's manual transmissions and GT clutches are awesome to use - PDK cars are for a different sort of sports car driver (maybe younger than me )

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN

TB993tt:

Dario, why are Porsche always quoting such optimistic 0-300kph times ? They did for the CGT, GT2 and (I agree with you the RS will be over 30s) GT2RS.....

i only can refer to the gt2  offical time is 33 sec up to 300kmh if i am wright

Sport auto had it in 36 secs on its test.

But sportauto put 2 persones in it and full fuel tank, so additionaly at least 150kg to accelerate compared with the porsche times condition

I think any empty gt2 is able to produce this 33 secs. But gearing has to be fast and the car should be empty.. , like porsche makes it

How do you know Porsche run it "empty", is that a guess (a good one !) ?

The CGT handbook said ~27s and all CGTs were 33+s

--

i hard that fact, but cant prove it.

But i just got the new sport auto in i was wrong

0-300-0 test

up to 300kmh

gt2 rs in 28,6 sec  

Bugatty 20.7 secs  (but the high speed key was not on place so  he could do a bit faster

lamgorgini sl 32,3 secs

zr1 35,4 secs (on the level of gt2)

sls 42,2 sec (looses power on high speed

lexus lfa 50,6 sec (pretty bad for sutch en expensive car)

bmw m3 GTs 54,3 sec to 280 kmh (nothing special

tuners cars

9ff bt1000 4wd  17,3 secs  (faster than veron)

mtm rs6 clubsport 33,5 (limo is faster than the last year tested mtm avant)

nissan import racing gtr 590 hp in 36 secs ( not so special for an 110 hp increase)

Väth v60 rs (a tuned sl 63) 41,7 sec

Wimmer c63 51,9 secs

ac schnitzer x6 m  54,4 sec to 270

try to scan later

Thanks for sharing

So Porsche got it spot on this time !

I wonder if it is to do with the test track surface.... I presume the one above was at Papenburg like the one last year ?

Do we know where the stock GT2 recorded its 36s ? different track ?

I have seen 3s difference in 0-300 at different tracks and wondered if the car was not running right but everything seemed OK (including data logs) so I think the track does make a huge difference and Porsche have a nice smooth flat test track 

--

TB993tt:  I have seen 3s difference in 0-300 at different tracks and wondered if the car was not running right but everything seemed OK (including data logs) so I think the track does make a huge difference and Porsche have a nice smooth flat test track 

Weather (air density) can make a noticeable difference, too.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

it was at papenburg

but i dont have any infos about tempreture or air pressure.

So i cant compare to the last year test.

But a 7 sec cap with only 90 hp more seems to me a lot... 36 sec gt2 and 28,6 sec gt2 rs....

I dont know if they were driving the car with 2 people as last year.

it looks like the gt2 rs hits his offical numbers exactly but the gt2 from last year could not match for some reason 33 to 36 secs...

Have no idea but as i said 7 secs with 90 hp more.. doesnt look real to me.

Does anybody know if the gt2 rs is running an other gear ratio than the gt2

Is air density not compensated for by these latest Motronic systems by allowing higher boost pressure to hit the air mass and load targets ?

I just checked the 36s GT2 test was by Sport Auto at Papenburg, two people in April 08 so probably not very high temps either........bit of a Mystery since a 540PS (in reality what GT2 are) GT2 should be at 33s.......

Don't think there are official specs released yet for gear ratios but I would suspect some of them are different.

--

Could you please post 0-100 and 0-200 results for GT2 RS ?

What are the Nordschleife Supertest results for LFA and GTS btw ?

Times gt2 rs 3.4 9.8 and 28.6 M3 gts 7.48 Ring and 1:12.5 hh LFa a Bit disapointing on acceleration and other times Concerning Air Density i don't Know to Be honest but you could be wright

RC:

Since we have data now :

100-200km/h

GT2 RS - 6,4s (SA 0-300)

Turbo S - 7,4s (AMS), 7,0s (AZ)

+ very quick feet and hands needed to extract that time with GT2 RS, while any grandma can do max. performance with PDK

Dario:

try to scan later

Any chance for scans? Smiley

Dario:

it was at papenburg

but i dont have any infos about tempreture or air pressure.

So i cant compare to the last year test.

But a 7 sec cap with only 90 hp more seems to me a lot... 36 sec gt2 and 28,6 sec gt2 rs....

I dont know if they were driving the car with 2 people as last year.

it looks like the gt2 rs hits his offical numbers exactly but the gt2 from last year could not match for some reason 33 to 36 secs...

Have no idea but as i said 7 secs with 90 hp more.. doesnt look real to me.

Does anybody know if the gt2 rs is running an other gear ratio than the gt2

Have they dynoed the cars? It's always interesting to know that data since manufactures put 'extra' care on press units for test like this (despite only Nissan being criticised for it  Smiley ).

mv:

+ very quick feet and hands needed to extract that time with GT2 RS, while any grandma can do max. performance with PDK

Thats exactly my point.  Smiley

--

The GT2RS is a beast in potetential, but I would think that the GT2RS would be the toughest car in the lineup to extract its potential out of (620HP on the rear wheels, sport suspension setup, manual gearbox, etc), and in conditions were you need to have a bigger safety cushion in its operation such as the streets and when driven by a regular driver, even more so... so thats not the enviroment were it would shine to its fullest, as opposed to the track driven by an "experienced" driver.

If I had to bet on myself, I would bet that personally I would be faster in carving a mountain road with a TurboS than with the GT2RS Smiley

--

Please allow me to add three comments Smiley

- The relative acceleration performance will depend heavily on whether the RS has to "recover" from an upshift (at high speeds) when the comparison is made: right after a manual upshift the delta will look different than if the RS has some time following the upsift to gain speed due to its substantially higher engine power.

- Above 200kph the difference between RS and TTS should be quite substantial (substantial, however, meaning just some 150m between 200kph and 300kph)

- The major difference should be in terms of handling, precision and - consquently - driver enjoyment: the GT models are just so "sharp". The complete transparancy of how the car reacts is simply stunning. No regular turbo can offer this to date. As a consequence, track times are much different as well. But the important thing is: you can feel how much quicker the GT models are even in daily situtaions. The handling is just so good SmileySmiley

MKSGR:

- The major difference should be in terms of handling, precision and - consquently - driver enjoyment: the GT models are just so "sharp". 

+ 1 Smiley

I don't disagree with the other points. I just especially agree with this one.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    MKSGR:

- The major difference should be in terms of handling, precision and - consquently - driver enjoyment: the GT models are just so "sharp". 

+ 1 Smiley

I don't disagree with the other points. I just especially agree with this one.  Smiley

If only Porsche did not screw as badly with the distribution/sales process of the GT2RS. This is really a shame Smiley

MKSGR:
    fritz:
    MKSGR:

+ 1 Smiley

If only Porsche did not screw as badly with the distribution/sales process of the GT2RS. This is really a shame Smiley

Probably a result of the takeover by VW. 

Plans delayed as a result of Wolfsburg flexing its muscles and shouting "Who's the daddy now?" in the direction of Stuttgart? Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    MKSGR:
    fritz:
    MKSGR:

+ 1 Smiley

Probably a result of the takeover by VW. 

Plans delayed as a result of Wolfsburg flexing its muscles and shouting "Who's the daddy now?" in the direction of Stuttgart? Smiley

Could be an explanation. It is just very frustrating for those who really use (!) and appreciate these cars. Might be good for McLaren etc. in the end.

fritz:
    MKSGR:

+ 1 Smiley

No doubt about it. If somebody would offer me the 997 Turbo S and the GT2 RS for free and I would have another nice daily driver, I would definitely choose the GT2 RS in a second. Smiley

--

RC:
    fritz:
    MKSGR:

+ 1 Smiley

No doubt about it. If somebody would offer me the 997 Turbo S and the GT2 RS for free and I would have another nice daily driver, I would definitely choose the GT2 RS in a second. Smiley

C'mon RC, if you were offered the 97 Turbo S and the GT2 RS for free you would take both of them.  Smiley

I certainly would. Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763627 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436033 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260825 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257799 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82565 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874091 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808381 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM