Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

M3 Coupe - First impressions w/pictures -

Well, I had ordered my E92 M3 back in May. After exactly 3 months, I have picked the car from the custom last Thursday.

Here is the link "My M3 Coupe Order":

www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html

I have done about 500 km with the car.

First of all, I want to start with 3 unknown things before I deliver the car:

M-DKG : The transmission of the car was one of the important question in my mind. I haven't driven it before. I very much like SMG II system on my E46 M3s, especially 03 E46 M3 which had a more brutal SMGII software.

I also like the double clutch on my TTS, S-Tronic, eventhough I had small complaints such as the tranny let you kick down even in manual mode, it upshifts to next gear at the rev limiter even in manual mode, and you can't upshift, lets say from 1st to 2nd, below 2000 rpm. But I like the "pop" sound coming from the exhaust on upshifts and it was smooth.

My biggest concern about the M-DKG was that I fear that it will be like playing play station. Very quick, insanely fast BUT no mechanical feel, just a video game.

However, happily, I was wrong. I keep the tranny mode always in S5 or S6, and even shifting up around 5000 rpm with 1/3 throttle input, there is very nice push from behind @ every shift. It is smooth but you feel the mechanical change and push. I haven't driven Porsche's PDK system, but I like M-DKG very much. All of these double clutch systems are fast. What is important for me is the feel of the gear change. And my M3 has the right feel for me.

And the downshifts are better. Evenif you are not on throttle, M-DKG blips the throttle aggresively from 2200 rpm to 3500 rpm (my roughly approximation) And it is better when you downshift 2 gears at once; it just blips the throttle and directly downshifts to 2 gears lower; let's say from 4th to 2nd while driving around 2500 rpm.

It kicks from the back and you don't feel like you are tearing the diffrantial apart as I was feeling in my E46 M3. If you are upshifting while the car is on throttle oversteer, let's say in 2nd gear, the change becomes more smooth. It doesn't up set the car or cuts the power absurdly so that back of the car cripples.

All in all, I'm happy with the transmission. I only use "D" when I'm on the phone while driving.

Also, there is "stop&start" tech. if you drive in "D" mode. I used it couple of times. Actually it is interesting. The car shuts down while I am waiting in the traffic lights but once I touch the throttle, it starts very quickly and goes.

I decided to decorate every post with small picture of my car which shows a nice detail I like about the car.

I like the "start/stop" button on the dash which is covered with carbon/leather texture trim just behind the steering wheel. Red line zone starts at 8.300 rpm in the rev counter.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Re: M3 Coupe - First impressions w/pictures -

My 2nd biggest concern about the car was the interior design and material quality. I didn't like my E90 320d which I drove for 3 months 4 years ago. My father has a 08 520d, and I don't like the i-drive screen and upper dashboard of that car. too.

E9X interior, even in M cars look like it is covered with too much hard plastic from the pictures. I especially didn't like the look of the mid. consule and was thinking of wraping it with 3M carbon look folyo or buying some carbon mid. consul from BMW performance.

My old TTS excelled in interior departmant when compared with BMW. I love the design and material of Audi. Steering wheel, extended leather parts, soft look material, Recaro buckets, insturment cluster were all very nicely designed. Well done Audi. Smiley

However, I had a very pleasent surprised when I picked the car. Mid consul was covered with some soft leather like material and upper dash plastic was softer than I remember. Also, pro-navi has a wider display and very nice graphics. 3 months ago, BMW navigation system starts working in Turkey, and it was a nice surprise to see it work in the car.

I really like the small and short, M--DKG gear knob which was lighted and thickness of the steering wheel and the size of the paddles are just right. I like the carbon/leather texture trim and I fell in love with my Recaro BMW Performance seats. They look gorgeous and very comfortable. Hold you in one place, you don't slide around. It never felt hot like leather. I'm sure they won't be cold in the winter as leather, either. They have heating option, nevertheless.

I like that alcantara, and structure of the seats which look more athletic than Audi's full leather Recaros.

I also like the white lighting of the dials and orange led lights on the doors. E46 M3's dials were my favorite but now I also like E9X dials. Very nice lightining and easy to read. Haven't seen the shift lights yet.

M mode is very nice, too. I make the following setting on "M " mode:

I set the steering wheel "Normal" (default is softer)

Power is in the medium setting (which is power. There is also normal power +)

EDC is set to comfort (there is normal and sport mode. But on our poor roads, I'm 100% of the time on comfort mode)

Transmission speed mode is S6

DSC mode is "DSC Off".

Here is the photo of the post:

Lovely gear knob and upgraded i-drive that is very easy to control. There is a triple button set which controls "power" - "EDC" - "DSC"

It is covered with some sort of leather like material that is soft to touch.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

My 3rd concern was the ride quality of the suspansion and the feel of the steering wheel.

After having a very unpleasant ownership of my sports chassie 997.1 Carrera S, I was too picky about the suspansion. I was planning to get 18" wheels but comp. pack left me no choice.

The car is very comfortable. You feel a small cushion between you and the road. It makes the life easier for me to live.

I also liked even the soft setting of the steering wheel. Some people think that it doesn't communicate too much with the driver but I like the feel and level of communication of the steering wheel. I don't like to feel every stone on the road. EDC in comfort mode is really comfortable.

I liked the leather covered handle on the door. There is a small pocket on the door which you can open and close. Carbon/leather texture trim look very nice with the full leather doors. Very very nice, IMO.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

My favorite interior piece is the Recaro BMW Performance seats.

Especially I love the alcantara/leather mixture with white stiching.

As you can see from this picture that side bolsters are covered with leather all the way and sitting area is cover with alcantara.

The seats are 2 positions: high and low. At the factory, seats are installed in high position since I'm 172 cm. However, I like to sit in low position so I fixed that here. While the seats were out of the car, I weighted the complete assembly of the seats, including the brackets + the rails and one seat weights 22 kg. Full leather standart seat should weight around 30~32 kg. Approx. I saved 20 kg from the seats (For the pair).

Very classy, sporty and elegant.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Steering wheel is fat and perfect in size. Paddles are big enough and dials are very clean.

Maybe for some, it lack of feel BUT with less than 2.5 tour from lock to lock, steering ratio is quiet fast Smiley

"M" button is on the right side of the wheel.

White lightining of the dials is very nice, IMO

Speedo reads 330 km/h Smiley

Front consule is very nice with digital readout of the A/C controls and with short-cut buttons:

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Time to post some exterior details I like about the M3:

Wheels are very nice:

Fronts are 9" wearing 245/35 tires and rears are 10" wearing 265/35 tires.

I find the tires little stretched on these rims. I'll put 255 tires in front and 275 tires at the back when it is time to change.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Power bulge on the hood:

Side gills:

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Some exterior shuts:

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Even more exterior shuts inside our garage:

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Save the best one for the last:

Side shot of the car which shows the wheels, nice drop of the car coupled with power bulge and factory tinted back windows.

More impressions will follow once I drive more.

However, I can, by now say that, it is fun to drive this car.

As soon as I push the throttle after the apex, I have nicely controlled 30-40 meters of drift with very good feedback from the steering wheel.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

... thats all I have to say about the car. Thanks for the review, it really cleared the same doubts I had about the dkg. Keep enjoying your car mate 

great ride, should be a blast, enjoy it.

Lovely write-up. Stunning car, best combo in white with those rims. Only cleaning them will prove a pain

As soon as I push the throttle after the apex, I have nicely controlled 30-40 meters of drift with very good feedback from the steering wheel.

I can second that

I wish you many many happy miles in your M

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Thanks for the review, and enjoy it!!

--

Excellent report - she looks stunning in white - wishing you many happy miles!

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Hey Onur, great car, crappy pics.

Enjoy your new ride!

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Hey Onur, great car, crappy pics.

Enjoy your new ride!

Immmm, you are right, these all are iphone pictures SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Thank you all for your warm and nice wishes

Next time, I'll take the pictures with a proper digital camera.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Enjoy the new M!

Your choice of colour and wheels are the right ones for this model. It looks fantastic

--

"Form follows function"

Congratulations pride!! Very nicely optioned out M3! Hurry up and put on those miles so you can start modding

Mike S:

Congratulations pride!! Very nicely optioned out M3! Hurry up and put on those miles so you can start modding

Thank you Mike Smiley

Have you seen the pedals I have posted in "My M3 coupe Order" thread?

I also changed my mind and won't wrap the mid. consul with 3M carbon look folyo.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

perfect colour

congrats !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Congrats and enjoySmiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

How about a photoshoot at various places around Istanbul with pics taken with a nice digital camera in the sunny weather?  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Very nice car indeed mate. White is my favourite colour for the E92, love the seats too - I didnt even know they were an option on the M3.  I have owned two M3's (both E46's) and have very fond memories of them indeed, and my best friend is currently on the lookout for a white E92 - just like yours in fact!!!  BMW sure know how to make the utilmate high performance yet practical coupe.

Many thanks for posting this quite comprehensive report Smiley Enjoy your new M3 SmileySmileySmiley

Sorry, didn't have the time to comment and I didn't want to leave just a "congratulations". Smiley

Stunning car, indeed and white definitely is a very good choice for the M3. I love the interior and especially the seats.

Drive safely and thanks for the photos, I really enjoyed them !  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

BMW of Manhattan has a white one (with red interior) on their showroom floor and it looks very good. Well done.

Enjoy.

--

997TT Blk/Blk,  BMW K1300GT

easy_rider911:

How about a photoshoot at various places around Istanbul with pics taken with a nice digital camera in the sunny weather?  

I have to find some time to do this, Easy.

I need plenty of time which I lack of now on these days. Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

RC:

Sorry, didn't have the time to comment and I didn't want to leave just a "congratulations". Smiley

Stunning car, indeed and white definitely is a very good choice for the M3. I love the interior and especially the seats.

Drive safely and thanks for the photos, I really enjoyed them !  Smiley

Thank you Christian Smiley

Seats are the best thing I have in the car. Absolutely love them and like them more than the ones I have in my TTS. They look skinny, more athletic, thinner than fat Audi version. Only downside is i they don't have variable height adjustment. Only 2 setting; high or low.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM