Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Swedish SLS owner caught at 290 kph in Switzerland

Been out driving BjoernB?Smiley

The Swiss may be renowned for their neutrality in times of conflict, yet they show little mercy when dealing with those who attempt to navigate their road network at speed.

Swiss police impounded a new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG after its Swedish owner was caught travelling at 290km/h in a 120km/h zone near Fribourg, en route from Bern to Lausanne, on Friday afternoon.

The 170km/h discrepancy is expected to balloon to a $1m (R7m) fine, which is about three times the value of the impounded SLS AMG.

In fact, the car was confiscated by police as security for the expected fine.

The speeding fine's severity is due to the Swiss federal government’s system of calculating traffic offenses on a sliding scale, directly related to the personal income of those involved.

Simply put - the more you earn, the more they take.

Swiss authorities have admitted the 37-year-old SLS AMG owner is set to become the first non-Swiss national to be prosecuted under the income-based traffic fine system.

www.wheels24.co.za/News/General_News/SLS-owner-nets-1m-speeding-fine-20100810

1281430143096police_45.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Re: Swedish SLS owner caught at 290 kph in Switzerland

Ouch  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

why on earth? ....Smiley

two hour drive to the north and he would have been fine

Very strict the Swiss!

I cannot imagine what they do to murderers.

However, we must all obey the law of the land. Most probably this Swede wouldn't be doing this kind of speed in his native country.

--

"Form follows function"

Surely they can't do anything beyond impounding his car?  He is Swedish afterall, not Swiss.

Nationality is irrelevant. Speeding is a criminal offence so the criminal courts of the jurisdiction where the offence occurred have the jurisdiction to hear the case and hand out punishment. 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

very much so. Car taken as bail by the police. However there is more (read much more ) to come. 

this Jan

Swiss Slap Speeder With $290K Fine

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/01/record-speeding-fine-dents-swiss-bank-account/

problem is, that these people put other lives at risk.

if he wants to go 290 on an unrestricted stretch of road, fine....but not in a 120 zone.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I wonder if Nick Freeman extends his expertise to Swiss law?

If not, with that sort of money involved, perhaps he should..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

He should have given his name as Roman Polanski. They would have let him go.

--

No doubt he was trying to leave the country quickly to get a decent meal. Smiley

temm : luckly not....

reginos : here in Switzerland the automobilist are treated worse than murderers - it's getting totally out of hands....the police is afraid of any criminals hence they are all laying in the ditch with the lasergun.....I got caught last week with 11 to much and paid 160 Sfr.... but there were very good in checking the profile dept of each tire.....

The guy was out of luck (NOT that I approve his speeding ) because the camera that caught him was a new one with newer technology. Their older cameras only measure up to 220 kph.

--

Before I start:
    I like to use my car on the Autobahn in a way most of you can't do - travelling with 200km/h and more is quite normal. I am a lucky guy who can drive this speed in Germany on some streets (most of the Autobahn are restricted today).

BUT:

When I think of my old mother going on Autobahn in a 120km/h restricted area, starting to overtake a truck (which is doing 90km/h), changing from the right to the left lane, using her mirror, there is a car at the horizon, I don't want to know what will happen. There are many many drivers who do not even think of the possibility that a car can be that much to fast and not all the drivers are that good that they react the way we all hope.

My opinion is that going too fast in a speed limit area is wrong, absolutly wrong. There are valid rules, everybody has to accept them.
    And don't start with arguments "there was no traffic blablabla" You can't define that soft exceptions. What is no traffic? We have traffic signs (sometimes stupid) and common rules and they are valid for everybody

If you don't accept the rules it is your fault. You know the possible fine, you know all the impact. I you do it anyway I call you stupid.

If the fine is correct is another discussion. 160SFr for 11km/h to fast for example is really tough. But maybe this zero tolerance behaviour is the only way that everybody acts like the rules want us to act. For most of us here at Rennteam it isn't a big problem to pay a normal fine. Ok, I am angry, but it doesn't hurt me. Probably I am the only one here, but I think that the police should start to get your driving licence much earlier than today. Losing the licence does hurt everybody.

A guy who is doing 170km/h more than allowed should not be allowed to use his car ever again. All parents will say "thank you" if there is a judge who is selling him a lifetime subscription for using a taxi

I am not debating the ticket situation, but you bring up a point about the Autobahn. I assume areas are becoming restricted because the traffic is getting so heavy and perhaps the original Autobahn only had 2 lanes because it was built when cars were rare.

So is the German govt. getting its way by letting congestion impose the speed limits rather than unpopular edict? Why not widen the Autobahn to 4 lanes each way to handle the current demand and keep speed up?

German drivers aren't more intelligent than any other human.

Here in the Munich area are several Autobahn which have four lanes. Normal situtation: Right lane nearly empty (Trucks in about 500m in front of you going 80-90km/h). Second lane: normal cars going 100-120km/h. Third and fourth lane faster cars, some of them are really fast (>200km/h), most about 160km/h. (Maybe a little overdone)

It isn't popular to use the right lane even if they are empty. Sometimes you follow a car several km on the fourth lane, could be possible for him/her to change to lane 3, but nothing happens. The law says you have to use the right lane if it is possible. Driving a Porsche helps you sometimes, using a sedan and going fast is more difficult (personal experience). Using lane 3 to overtake is forbidden and dangerous (because nobody is expecting a car on your right side).

So a four-lane Autobahn is not the solution (plus much to expensive, the german state has similar financial problems than most other countries and our country is small, we don't have enough space).

We have a system with automatic speed limits on some of our Autobahn. Bad weather or heavy traffic -> speedlimit (80-120km/h), no traffic -> pedal to the metal. I think it is a good system, because the traffic flow is much better (more cars/time) when all of them use nearly the same speed. No fun, but normally it helps you to get to your target faster.

Itsme:

German drivers aren't more intelligent than any other human.

It isn't popular to use the right lane even if they are empty. Sometimes you follow a car several km on the fourth lane, could be possible for him/her to change to lane 3, but nothing happens.

Thank you for the response. First time I have heard these parts ^^ from a German. Kind of a shock.

Don't get me wrong. This is not allowed. And it is not the common behavior.

But there are enough stupid people who don't change the lane for a short time when it is possible so that the faster car can't pass. This happens more often if the Autobahn has only two lanes.

geez, i thought melbourne was tough with their road rules.....

so theoretically, if a student on minimal income speeds in a rental then he get a minimal fine?? 

No offense meant, I went to school in Switzerland and really like the Swiss but the authorities in  Switzerland are a pain in the a.. most of the time.

Example: many years ago, I drove in a rental to St. Gallen to participate in a small re-union at my older school. Why a rental? Well, my 911 had a transmission problem by that time and I didn't want to get stuck with it in Switzerland. The rental was a Mercedes S-class with the new night vision, distance radar, etc. system. To make a long story short: it had some sensors looking out of the grill and in the front spoiler. At the austrian-swiss border, a guy from swiss customs told me to park the car and that he needs to talk to me. What followed, was a farce. He insisted that I was using an anti-traffic radar system on my car. I showed him the car papers, it was clearly a rental and I told him that this is a new technology. He wouldn't let me enter Switzerland. After almost an hour (!) of arguing back and forth and talking to his colleagues, they took photos of the front of the car, made a copy from my passport and allowed me to drive to St. Gallen. When I started the engine, the very same guy came over and told me in Swiss German, apparently he didn't think I would understand it: "we will get you". I never understood what this fuss was all about until a good friend had a similar problem years later. Only this time, they were right, he had an anti-traffic radar system installed and they detected it AND impounded the car immediately. It took him weeks and a lot of money, incl. a swiss lawyer, to get his car back.

I understand laws are laws but I get the feeling that swiss authorities take themselves a little bit more serious than others in Europe. I was able to "escape" fines for speeding from Italy, France and many other countries by just being nice and apologetic. I doubt this would work in Switzerland.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

The ultimate extreme of tough Authorities anywhere, is for a German to find them to be severe!

Whenever I travel to Germany I get scared even by the look of the officers in passport control, especially the women Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I like the beautiful German women! Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

seems it works in reverse too

Don Johnson Caught
    With £5 Billion In Suitcase

By Catherine Armitage

from 2003

Don Johnson is caught with £5bn in suitcase German customs suspect Miami Vice star of running money-laundering operation, writes Alison Chiesa...   The plot line is one that the scriptwriters of Miami Vice, the 1980s cool cop drama, would have taken pride in penning.   However, Don Johnson, the star of the show who, as Sonny Crockett, frequently broke the gangland power behind money-laundering crime, is himself now under investigation.   The actor was stopped leaving Switzerland carrying a suitcase filled with more than £5bn-worth of share certificates, cheques, credit notes, and bonds.   Johnson is suspected of running his own money-laundering operation, customs authorities in Germany, who are investigating the incident, confirmed yesterday.   No charges have been filed, but an official said tax and customs authorities in the US had been told of the discovery.   Leonhard Bierl, of the Customs Criminal Investigation Department in Cologne, said: "That wouldn't have happened unless we were suspicious about why he had all these stocks and shares and so on with him. This was a lot of numbers."   Johnson's documents were photocopied, his personal details taken and he was allowed to continue on his way. However, he was warned an official investigation could ensue.   "A decision on whether to launch a criminal probe against him will come soon," said Mr Bierl. "American authorities have been fully informed of what we found."   Johnson, 53, who had his paper fortune concealed in a suitcase as he returned from Zurich to Germany, found fame as Crockett alongside police partner Ricardo Tubbs, played by Phillip Michael Thomas, in the popular series set in the sunshine crime capital of Florida.   The actor was stopped at a roadblock two miles over the border in the town of Bietingen. He was with three other men in a black Mercedes, but the paperwork was all in the actor's suitcase. Although he was stopped in November of last year, the details emerged only yesterday.   Customs officials said Johnson introduced two of the men to officers as his investment manager and his personal assistant. The role of the third man was unclear.   A customs spokesman did not specify the nationality of the other men, but admitted that the money was in the name of several people "including Don Johnson".   The spokesman confirmed that the other men were also under suspicion of money laundering.   In recent years, German authorities have accelerated spot checks on routes leading to banking havens across its borders - including Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg - in a bid to stanch the flow of black money into undeclared accounts.   Officials said Johnson was subdued and co-operative when they asked to search his luggage. However, he became "extremely critical" as the paperwork was photocopied, page by page - a process that took several hours, with the documents subjected to intense scrutiny.   According to the customs record of the incident, Johnson "was extremely critical and worried whether American tax authorities would be informed".   Mr Bierl said the paperwork weighed "several kilos" and that each document was being carefully examined.   A customs spokesman added: "We are still awaiting information from authorities at the clearing station down where the incident happened. This is why this is taking so long."   It was reported yesterday that included in the monetary papers were large payments made out to Johnson, which included cash drawn from the Union Bank of Switzerland and the Bank of Taiwan.   When asked what he needed so many billions in paper for, Johnson allegedly replied: "I am going to buy a car."   A customs official was reported replying: "With that kind of money you could buy the factory."

Of course it was all a misunderstanding and straightened out later. Good ol crockett is on the up and up.

racerx:

When asked what he needed so many billions in paper for, Johnson allegedly replied: "I am going to buy a car."   A customs official was reported replying: "With that kind of money you could buy the factory."

Great line Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I don't think they should sue the driver, they should sue themselves for allowing him to buy such a fast car ! :D No really, what did they expect ? That this guy bought a 300+ km/h supercar just for bragging rights ? No, idiots (i'm talking about those stupid swedish authorities), he bought it because he likes to SPEED. And where do you think he will speed, if not on your stupid "limited to 120" motorways ? (altough I thought the speed limit on their motorways is 110, not 120 ?) Morons ! 

110 km/h and 120 km/h are the main speed limits on motorways. 120 km/h is only set on the best, safest and straightest motorways, usually the newest, which mostly are present in the southern parts of Sweden on the E4 and E6, in total about 300 km out of the 1500 total motorway km. 110 km/h is still the most common speed limit on motorways in Sweden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Sweden

So that means that, not even "on the best, safest and straightest motorways", which are the ones limited to 120, you can't unleash the power of your AMG beast ? Like I said, then they shouldn't have allowed him to buy that car in the first place ! Because it's absurd to think that someone who buys a car that EASELY reaches 300 km/h, gives a shit about speed limits. I am I right, or am I right ? Smiley

RC:

No offense meant, I went to school in Switzerland and really like the Swiss but the authorities in  Switzerland are a pain in the a.. most of the time.

Example: many years ago, I drove in a rental to St. Gallen to participate in a small re-union at my older school. Why a rental? Well, my 911 had a transmission problem by that time and I didn't want to get stuck with it in Switzerland. The rental was a Mercedes S-class with the new night vision, distance radar, etc. system. To make a long story short: it had some sensors looking out of the grill and in the front spoiler. At the austrian-swiss border, a guy from swiss customs told me to park the car and that he needs to talk to me. What followed, was a farce. He insisted that I was using an anti-traffic radar system on my car. I showed him the car papers, it was clearly a rental and I told him that this is a new technology. He wouldn't let me enter Switzerland. After almost an hour (!) of arguing back and forth and talking to his colleagues, they took photos of the front of the car, made a copy from my passport and allowed me to drive to St. Gallen. When I started the engine, the very same guy came over and told me in Swiss German, apparently he didn't think I would understand it: "we will get you". I never understood what this fuss was all about until a good friend had a similar problem years later. Only this time, they were right, he had an anti-traffic radar system installed and they detected it AND impounded the car immediately. It took him weeks and a lot of money, incl. a swiss lawyer, to get his car back.

I understand laws are laws but I get the feeling that swiss authorities take themselves a little bit more serious than others in Europe. I was able to "escape" fines for speeding from Italy, France and many other countries by just being nice and apologetic. I doubt this would work in Switzerland.

I think that generally border police are worst then the other kind of police. It also has a lot to do with the individual. Here is a  story with German boarder police.

When I was 20, I went on an european road trip with 2 friends. At the boarder between Holland and Germany, the customs stop us and started to treat us immediately like ' criminals' . The whole car was searched and we had a very humiliating strip search as they made humiliating comments and laughed while we had the pants down.Smiley

At the end they found a 'catapult' in the car...a toy a friend had bought in Amsterdam. They implied we were going to do a criminal act in Germany Smiley  ( with a kid's catapult !!!! SmileySmiley ) and they put my friend in jail for the night until he saw a judge the next morning, on charge of trying to bring a blank weapon into Germany Smiley

He was banned from entering Germany  and his passport was stamped with a big red ''banned'' . That was a big problem as he was the son of an internationally well know person, they needed to travel a lot and if the media would of got the information if would of been bad for their business.

So..I agree the swiss customs are not nice to deal with, no sence of humor what so ever, do not think further then the 'code' they have to follow. But other's are not better Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil, i see you are from switzerland, and you have a powerfull car, how exactly do you manage with the 120 km/h speed limit ?? Because, as I understand it, you risk loosing your entire fortune AND your car if you ever try to unleash even a small amount of it's potential on "the safest and straightest" roads available. (like that guy did with the SLS)

mariusv:

Gnil, i see you are from switzerland, and you have a powerfull car, how exactly do you manage with the 120 km/h speed limit ?? Because, as I understand it, you risk loosing your entire fortune AND your car if you ever try to unleash even a small amount of it's potential on "the safest and straightest" roads available. (like that guy did with the SLS

I do not find it to be a problem...just a frustration sometimes Smiley

120 km/h on highway is the nomad speed in most countries of the world. So no difference there.  Up to 150 km/h , you only get a fine .    After , it is according to your revenue, but the judge will look at each case, and take into consideration the speed you were doing. So if you go 160-180 it will not be the same as 280 . Then it is according to your revenue, just make sure you have no revenue Smiley

The highway can not be used to 'drive' . It is anyway most of the time congested .

But... we have hundreds of B roads, mountain roads that a great to drive and where I can make use of my car. Some mountain roads are limited to 80 km/h , but some are so ' twisted' that it is hard to exeed that speed even when going the fasted you can with the car.  So there I can have lots of fun Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM