Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Speccing my 458 tomorrow - opinions sought...

I am speccing my car tomorrow for a Nov or Dec build.

I am toying with the idea of moving away from red , and am considering Grigio Silverstone and then going back to Rosso Corsa for the Spider when it comes out (can only stay away for so long!). With the Grigio Silverstone I would go for either the sport wheel in the darker grey finish or the standard wheel in RICS. I am not sure how dark RICS is in real life versus the grey painted finish on the sport wheels. Either choice of wheels would be matched with yellow calipers to match the scuderia shields. Any comments / info / opinions are welcome.

Re: Speccing my 458 tomorrow - opinions sought...

I did this at  the online place a little while back;

gt my 458.png

I wish I could show the interior also but even though I signed up to the online sight to save the design I can not access it. The interior was a mix of white/black/CF and looked striking, you can see it thru the windows a bit. Lousy website unless I don't understand its functionality.

RICS is a lot lighter than the grey painted sport wheel. RICS is really just a chrome effect type silvery grey paint finish. They achieve this by giving the wheel a gloss black paint coat first then a top coat of silver I believe. The grey painted sports wheel is a similar colour to the paint Porsche used for the Gen 1 997 turbo wheels which was Slate grey I believe.

I'd strongly suggest caution with Grigio Silverstone as it can be slow to resell and will definately get a lower bid come trade in time. Everyone on UK based forums say they are tired of red Ferraris but when it comes to actually buying one used they all want red. Just look at the prices of current used F430's and Scud's to see which colours are worth more.

RICS

1281373399440wheel.JPG

Grey Sports wheel

SDC11990.JPG

ISUK  - thank for your informed comments as ever.

I hear you on the UK obsession with red , and god spare us crema interiors! It’s another reason why I've been hesitating on Grigio. When I went to the dealer last month to drive their demonstrator, they did mention that the early buyers were being braver than usual as they could trade back in some cases in 6 months or when the Spider comes out without losing too much given that demand for the coupe would still be high for first time 458 buyers who were not prepared to wait 18 months to two years for a new one. I'll sleep on it ... and probably end up wimping out and going for Rosso Corsa and Cuoio interior.

A lot of Scud buyers in the UK opted for black or grey as well. Now some 2 years later there are very few red Scuds around and that's what buyers are looking for. The black ones aren't selling unless they are much more competitively priced.

If going for cuoio I'd recommend spec'ing sports seats and possibly doing the seat centres in cuoio alcantara. It will make the car more of an attention grabber when you come to sell it on.  Here is a pic of a Ferrari press car interior on a rosso corsa car for inspiration.

Cuoio with nero.JPG

Plus don't forget you can now have Daytona or Diamond pattern inserts in the sports seats and can also order the headliner in Diamond pattern to match the seat centres. Details like this, if done well in terms of compatible colours,  can make the car very desirable come resale.

Sports seat trim options.JPG

Agreed  - I think the sports seats are a must.

I would assume that a red Ferrari is a foregone conclusion, not only in the UK but around the globe as well. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

What is wrong with yellow? If resale is you're only concern then go with Red.

--

In case you want to go for an extra campionaro colour there are 4 new finishes available -

Rosso F1 2007  (this was the metallic red that the Scuderia was launched in)

Giallo Sole

Blu Scuro 3 Strati

Griggio Freddo

I've not seen samples of the last three new colours.

Thanks  - I suspect you know a lot more than the sales guy I'm going to be dealing with! 

crayphile:

Thanks  - I suspect you know a lot more than the sales guy I'm going to be dealing with! 

That's not usually difficult Smiley Just make sure the sales person shows you the latest Product Communication 07.10 and also the Special Equipment Communication 01.10 so that you can see all of the options currently available. There are a lot of new trim and carbon fibre options in these documents that you may or may not be interested in. I don't know if they've all been added to the configurator as yet.

I stuck with  Grigio Silverstone in the end with Nero interior. The idea was to achieve a somewhat "stealthy" look with strong sporting accents (but I will go back to red for the Spider)

Here are the details:

RACING & TRACK

RSCH    Racing seats In Carbon Fibre - Alcantara centre section with yellow leather stripe and yellow stitched prancing horse logo

EXTERIOR & COLORS

LOGO    Scuderia Ferrari shields on fenders

RMSV    Dark grey metaliic 780 painted forged rim

CALY     Giallo Modena brake Calipers

INTERIOR & MATERIALS

RPMY    Yellow Rev Counter

CIDL      Carbon Fiber Driver Zone + Steering wheel with LEDs.

CILR      Carbon fiber for Tunnel Console

ALIH      Alacantara upholstery for headliner

STC1     Colour upon request for standard stitching - Giallo (upper dash to be black to avoid refection in windscreen)

EQUIPMENT & TRAVELLING

TPM0     Tyre pressure + temperature monitoring system

PARK     Rear parking sensors

IPOD      iPod Connection

NVT1     Anti-theft sat system

NAVC    Satellite Navigation system

Long debate over PEXS on this colour  - for now I've left it off as the dealer felt the contrast it offers on other colours in not that great on Grigio Silverstone.

Any feedback on the above is welcome  - it will be set in stone once the factory opens.

Congrats, now for the long wait. I may well be going through all that again in a few months myself. Here is a car with your exterior spec.

1281459264169side.JPG

Thanks  - I found that too during the red vs grey debate. I think this is without PEXS  - though its hard to tell.

That car doesn't have PEXS. There are other shots of it showing the skirts. You can now have the lower lip of the skirt in carbon fibre instead of the PEXS painted option. This option is called CEXS. No doubt it's crazy money but I've asked for a price from the factory as I may have it next time round.

1281460270164Carbon sills.JPG

ISUK:

In case you want to go for an extra campionaro colour there are 4 new finishes available -

Rosso F1 2007  (this was the metallic red that the Scuderia was launched in)

I've always adored that particular shade of red! I thought it was discontinued because of quality/peeling issues? Smiley

Excellent choice ! the silverstone 458 is a perfect combo with sports wheels, It would be my choice without a shadow of a doubt.

Giallo Sole

Congrats  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Stealth is admirable especially if the car is not much to look at. Ferrari is a beautiful car. To dress it down with a battleship grey is blasphemy. You will loose the whole point of it being a Ferrari.Smiley I have been driving Ferrari's for many years and I can say that the Silverstone is the most unflattering color you can put on the car. That is why they are difficult to peddle on resale.

Sorry, you asked for input and a purchase of this significance requires candor. Smiley

--

nberry:

Stealth is admirable especially if the car is not much to look at. Ferrari is a beautiful car. To dress it down with a battleship grey is blasphemy. You will loose the whole point of it being a Ferrari.Smiley I have been driving Ferrari's for many years and I can say that the Silverstone is the most unflattering color you can put on the car. That is why they are difficult to peddle on resale.

Sorry, you asked for input and a purchase of this significance requires candor. Smiley

I can see your point of view apart from the blasphemy element Smiley   I've driven Ferraris for a while too, and thought it would be nice to have a change for a year or so till the Spider arrives. Supply/ demand in the UK for coupes will remain tight in that time frame so It should shift, and as you quite rightly pointed out previously if deprecation is one's main concern then it can only be Rosso Corsa. The thing with Grigio is that it needs a good Zymol (or similar)  polish and then there is a deep lustre to it even on a dull rainy day.

crayphile, your spec is fantastic. Would be EXACTLY my spec. I might be one of the few in here who will never order a red ferrari. Only black or any shade of gray in my book. This actually applies for all my car purchases.

Any kind of screamy colour is just not classy and lack of taste in my humble opinion.... It's like furnishing a home.. keep the basics white and have a few colour spots here and there... compare this to a grey car with yellow callipers, yellow shield, coloured stitching, etc.... but I'm swedish and like minimalistic scandinavian design in general so I might be biased 

--
    997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

crayphile:
    nberry:

Stealth is admirable especially if the car is not much to look at. Ferrari is a beautiful car. To dress it down with a battleship grey is blasphemy.  

I can see your point of view apart from the blasphemy element Smiley   

I think Nick must have confused "blasphemy" for "heresy". Smiley

He probably hadn't had his Starbucks fix yet when he wrote that post. Smiley

--

fritz

crayphile:

I can see your point of view apart from the blasphemy element Smiley   I've driven Ferraris for a while too, and thought it would be nice to have a change for a year or so till the Spider arrives. Supply/ demand in the UK for coupes will remain tight in that time frame so It should shift, and as you quite rightly pointed out previously if deprecation is one's main concern then it can only be Rosso Corsa. The thing with Grigio is that it needs a good Zymol (or similar)  polish and then there is a deep lustre to it even on a dull rainy day.

I hope for your sake you are right but I think you may be in for a surprise come resale/trade in time. I'm very friendly with my dealer and he's always said that a 430 in Silverstone virtually welds itself to his showroom floor if he doesn't discount strongly to potential buyers.

The 458 may be new but colour trends still apply. You have to factor in that your used buyer will be looking at selling the car on again within a further 12/24 months and there will be more used examples around by that point so they will want the best colour for resale as the car will be nearing the end of the production cycle when they potentially come to sell it in 2013/14  Smiley

Rossa Mugello (Dark Red Non-Metallic) is a beautiful color (similar to my old Rossa Barchetta).  Good for resale but a little different from Rossa Corsa.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Fritz my man, how do you get through the day being as picky as you are? You must be a lot of fun to be around.Smiley

FWIW, blasphemy is appropriate. Ferrari is God like as in the sport car world and coloring it in an unattractive  grey is to defame it.

In the US, grey Ferrari's do not sell. I know of two on the showroom floor that have been sitting for at least one year and even price reductions are unable to move them.

Crayphile, it is your money and you have to be happy. If Silverstone makes you happy that is all the counts. I brought it up because you indicated you probably would own the car about a year or so before getting your Spider. If that is so, you may want to put the car up for sale once you take delivery and it probably will take a year or more to sell it.Smiley

--

nberry:

Fritz my man, how do you get through the day being as picky as you are? You must be a lot of fun to be around.Smiley 

I love reading the ribbing that nberry and Fritz give each other - they are the Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon of Rennteam - a special double act Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

classic, easy

easy_rider911:
    nberry:

I love reading the ribbing that nberry and Fritz give each other - they are the Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon of Rennteam - a special double act Smiley

i think Bling Bling Nick is FINALLY on his way out of the dark side SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779610 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442316 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263148 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85673 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5833 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881148 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817830 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM