Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

458 Spider will probably come with foldable hardtop

Some new patents are showing the size of a 458 style car (found at autoblog.nl)

4583.jpg458.jpg

Re: 458 Spider will probably come with foldable hardtop

Its different to the California construction. So it might be indeed a 458 version!

Repost Lars. Those documents surfaced last year. From what I've been told the car will definately have a folding hardtop with clever packaging to make it stow above the engine.

Old news. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

sorry guys.... somehow I remembered it, but I couldnt find it....

shame on me

Rossi:

Old news. Smiley

--

Sad news Smiley I like the soft tops 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I guess the key question will be how much extra weight it adds  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Gnil:
    Rossi:

Old news. Smiley

So do I. I really don't know why you should have a foldable hardtop at a car like the 458. Smiley

--

They claim that the hardtop on the California is lighter than a soft top. I suspect the same claim will be made for the 458.

I am stll trying to visualize what the 458 will look like with a retractable hard top. It is a mid-engine car and a glass cover displaying the engine has been the hall mark of Ferrari mid-engine cars.

--

nberry:

They claim that the hardtop on the California is lighter than a soft top. I suspect the same claim will be made for the 458.

Well, if it's the same sort of claim as with their curb weight numbers, we should be sceptical. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    Gnil:
    Rossi:

Old news. Smiley

So do I. I really don't know why you should have a foldable hardtop at a car like the 458. Smiley

+1 Smiley  the soft top looked great on the mid V8 range and gave the car a lot of character, imo soft tops are way more stylish than metal folding.

nberry:

I am stll trying to visualize what the 458 will look like with a retractable hard top. It is a mid-engine car and a glass cover displaying the engine has been the hall mark of Ferrari mid-engine cars.

Only on the 360 and 430 Nick. That glass viewing window adds unecessary weight if we're honest about it hence why it was changed to plexiglass on the 16M. If the458 has a folding hardtop I'd be surprised if the glass didn't make way for a lighter, more heat extraction efficient louvered deck in the mould of the 308/328/348/355/Testarossa/512TR/512M Smiley

Personally I'd rather have good cooling in the engine compartment to aid performance as opposed to a window that I can show my engine off with when parked Smiley The engine is already  much less visible in the 458 berlinetta compared to the F430 due to the large plastic air filter box cover and  the shorter engine deck lid which obscures the exhaust.

Iain, I was thinking of the modern Ferrari's.

I think the louvered deck is ancient looking. I would hope they have a better system for heat extraction. Ferrari's are show cars and glass covered engines fall comport with the purpose of the car.

BTW, did you ever take delivery of your 458? If so, is it everything you thought it would be? Are there aspects of the car you do not like?
    --

nberry:

BTW, did you ever take delivery of your 458? If so, is it everything you thought it would be? Are there aspects of the car you do not like?

That's right Iain.. we're still eagerly awaiting the completion of this thread...Smiley

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20170855/Re_My_458_has_arrived/page1.html?postListCfg=categorytreesort%3Dpath%26regiontreea...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

The 458 is superb Nick, the best car Ferrari have made IMHO outside of the special run cars. Everything about it just seems right.

The 458 is a significant step forward from the 430 and really feels like a comfort version of the Scuderia in terms of speed and handling. The car corners like it's on rails and is hugely confidence inspiring. The suspension setting on the steering wheel allows you to select "bumpy road" mode giving much more comfortable damping over regular roads. The default suspension setting is firm but not unpleasant and far more compliant than PASM was on Generation 1 997s for example. In Sport mode the valves of the exhaust open later and the throttle response is a tad less sharp making driving in traffic a breeze without drawing attention to yourself via an over enthusiastic exhaust. Switch to Race mode though and the Maranello Orchestra's brass section starts getting to work in earnest. The tone is deeper than the wail of the 430 but just as pleasing to the ear IMHO. The steering is a joy with very little effort required to string together a series of flowing bends. It's a very satisfying car to cover ground in quickly.

Contrary to the nonsense spouted by Jeremy Clarkson for dramatic effect on Top Gear last Sunday, the steering wheel mounted controls are simple to use and after a very brief period of use you wonder why it's taken anyone so long to think of grouping the ancilliary functions on there. It makes a mockery of the button fest steering wheel I had on my Cayennes that didn't really do anything other than control the phone and PCM unit. The race seats are a must IMHO and are far more comfortable than the standard seats.

The new media unit is very good and pretty simple to operate using an irdive style menu system with a few well placed control buttons to navigate through menus and screens. The sound quality from the standard speaker system is very good as well and leagues ahead of the hi-fi upgrade system from the 430. The cabin layout is excellent with everything focused around the driver and falling easily to hand.

Ferrari really have made great strides in terms of ergonomics first with the California and now the 458. They have also raised the bar in terms of a real world, usable, junior supercar for the road with 458. Yes there are other cars out there that may perform better on the track but the flipside is that they are more compromised in terms of comfort and usability. This car has been set up to do it's best work on the road in the same way the 430 and 360 were before it leaving space for a lighter, rawer track focused Scuderia type variant later on.

It's a fantastic car and I'd recommend it highly to anyone thinking of buying one.

CIMG1460.JPGCIMG1456.JPG1281015079954Front 2.JPG

ISUK-thank you for your detailed write-up.

I am lost for words ISUK... your red Italia is stunning!!!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

ISUK:

The 458 is superb Nick, the best car Ferrari have made IMHO outside of the special run cars. Everything about it just seems right.

The 458 is a significant step forward from the 430 and really feels like a comfort version of the Scuderia in terms of speed and handling. The car corners like it's on rails and is hugely confidence inspiring. The suspension setting on the steering wheel allows you to select "bumpy road" mode giving much more comfortable damping over regular roads. The default suspension setting is firm but not unpleasant and far more compliant than PASM was on Generation 1 997s for example. In Sport mode the valves of the exhaust open later and the throttle response is a tad less sharp making driving in traffic a breeze without drawing attention to yourself via an over enthusiastic exhaust. Switch to Race mode though and the Maranello Orchestra's brass section starts getting to work in earnest. The tone is deeper than the wail of the 430 but just as pleasing to the ear IMHO. The steering is a joy with very little effort required to string together a series of flowing bends. It's a very satisfying car to cover ground in quickly.

Contrary to the nonsense spouted by Jeremy Clarkson for dramatic effect on Top Gear last Sunday, the steering wheel mounted controls are simple to use and after a very brief period of use you wonder why it's taken anyone so long to think of grouping the ancilliary functions on there. It makes a mockery of the button fest steering wheel I had on my Cayennes that didn't really do anything other than control the phone and PCM unit. The race seats are a must IMHO and are far more comfortable than the standard seats.

The new media unit is very good and pretty simple to operate using an irdive style menu system with a few well placed control buttons to navigate through menus and screens. The sound quality from the standard speaker system is very good as well and leagues ahead of the hi-fi upgrade system from the 430. The cabin layout is excellent with everything focused around the driver and falling easily to hand.

Ferrari really have made great strides in terms of ergonomics first with the California and now the 458. They have also raised the bar in terms of a real world, usable, junior supercar for the road with 458. Yes there are other cars out there that may perform better on the track but the flipside is that they are more compromised in terms of comfort and usability. This car has been set up to do it's best work on the road in the same way the 430 and 360 were before it leaving space for a lighter, rawer track focused Scuderia type variant later on.

It's a fantastic car and I'd recommend it highly to anyone thinking of buying one.

CIMG1460.JPGCIMG1456.JPG1281015079954Front 2.JPG

ISUK, you have a beautifull garden, but your lawn needs to be watered some more  Smiley Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

congrats...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Very impressive car and classy surroundings

I like your choice of wheel colour too.

Definitely, this car was not designed for a front number plate , so your minor break of the rules is perfectly justified. I would let you off if I were in Traffic Police.

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:

ISUK, you have a beautifull garden, but your lawn needs to be watered some more  Smiley Smiley

Smiley

First thing I noticed, since when does an English lawn burn?Smiley

ISUK - you said that the racing seats are far more comfortable than the standard seats.  I do not doubt you.  Others have said the same in Fchat.

Can you explain how is that possible considering that the racing seat (from its appearance) has much less cushioning and no springs under the seat as compared to the standard seat.

Further, the racing seat's upholstery looks like a thin to medium pad of cushion and that is it.

Do you not bottom out after sitting in it for a while?  Does the padding compress and becomes very firm?

racerx:
    Gnil:

Smiley

Those pic's were taken at my parents house about 30 miles or so from my own home. My father's been lamenting the lack of rain over the last 6 weeks or so at his house. I had a similar issue for around four weeks but strangely have had quite a lot of rain in the last 2 whilst he's had barely any. It doesn't take lawns long to recover here though as we're usually not short of rain Smiley

tony2006:

ISUK - you said that the racing seats are far more comfortable than the standard seats.  I do not doubt you.  Others have said the same in Fchat.

Can you explain how is that possible considering that the racing seat (from its appearance) has much less cushioning and no springs under the seat as compared to the standard seat.

Further, the racing seat's upholstery looks like a thin to medium pad of cushion and that is it.

Do you not bottom out after sitting in it for a while?  Does the padding compress and becomes very firm?

The comfort is derived from the actual shape of the seat. The race seats are very well contoured and give good spine and under thigh support. They look thin but the padding is well positioned to make them comfortable. They also hold you in place far better in fast cornering.

Iain, thank you for the very informative report.

--

ISUK:
    racerx:
    Gnil:

Smiley

Those pic's were taken at my parents house about 30 miles or so from my own home. My father's been lamenting the lack of rain over the last 6 weeks or so at his house. I had a similar issue for around four weeks but strangely have had quite a lot of rain in the last 2 whilst he's had barely any. It doesn't take lawns long to recover here though as we're usually not short of rain Smiley

We'll cut you a break then since last we saw your back yard it was near perfect. But then where are all the pics from the group drives you guys participated in during the great summer weather? Arguably the best looking countryside in the entire world and it seems our brit rennteamers don't take advantage of it.

I only received the car a couple of weeks ago Tom and it's rained a lot since. I'll try to get some shots in the wild on future trips.

Great pictures ISUK

... and I see you took the bushes off (next to the Garage )

ISUK:

I only received the car a couple of weeks ago Tom and it's rained a lot since. I'll try to get some shots in the wild on future trips.

I just grabbed some shots off of Bing maps of just a few of the many great spots to see that are very close to Iain and some of the other brit rennteamers. No excuses for not enjoying yourselves and your cars when you live in such a scenic area.

The Aston-Martin factory at Gaydon, which is out in farmland with its own airfield/track and a figure 8 for g testing, Call and arrange a factory tour, they would like the interest in this economy

brit am2.jpg

A close-up of the modern entrance building and the factory

brit am.jpg

right up the highway is Warwick Castle with a bunch of tennis courts nearby, that's cool

brit warwick.jpg

On another day, drive thru the perfect counrtyside to visit Waddesdon manor, spectacular place and the long front driveway would look good with a bunch of nice cars on it.

brit waddesdon.jpg

great write-up, i knew JC's steering wheel crying was over the top, but one really would have to try it. you have and i bet it's awesome. stunning 458, what a car!! enjoy!!! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM