Crown

Board: Lotus Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Annual Alpine Tour with a bad end...

Six weeks ago we started our annual Alpine Tour through Switzerland, Italy and Austria. We were a group of 13 friends with 8 cars.

The first day started with heavy rain and we drove over the Grimselpass and the famous Furka-Pass in Switzerland. (Remember the James Bond Goldfinger Movie - the chase between the Mustang and the DB5)

Mr. Goldfinger driving his Rolls Royce:goldfingerfurka.jpg

Our Group:

CONVAR110.jpg

After a photo-Stop in front of the Belvedere-Hotel a good friend of me was driving down the pass in my Elise between two 997s.

I was driving behind them in my Focus ST. Three bends before the end of the pass he lost control and spun after a 360 in the guard-rail. (Great luck for him - 90% of the pass is without rails) 

CONVAR127.jpg

This was the end of the little Elise. My friend was unhurt and that was the most important issue on that day.

After dealing some weeks with the insurance, I have found a new Lotus for my garage:

DSCF0143.JPG

It´s a Elise SC "Typ 25-Jim Clark"  - #20  of 25 in LHD-Europe first registered in Monte Carlo.

Foto.jpg

I hope that I have more luck with this car...Smiley

Always respect the rain in a midengine Lightweight-car without PSM/ESP !!! Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

Re: Annual Alpine Tour with a bad end...

I'm sad to read that your tour suffered this mishap and that your old Elise came to a bad end. I'm glad that your friend was unhurt and that you found a lovely replacement. I wish you and others on this forum safe and happy motoring

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Glad your friend didn't get hurt. 

And from what I can see, you got a really nice replacement  The orange Elise had the supercharger refitted if I recall correctly.

The british green paint suits the car very nicely. And I love those CUP wheels lol (I know I'm biased).

How do you find the wooden gear knob? 

I wish you many happy miles with this "limited" Type 25 (if "limited" still means something at Lotus lol)

Thanks for sharing the pics 

--

Sorry to hear about that mishap but you a. got a nice replacement and b. your good friend will owe you something. Glad that nobody got hurt, that´s the most important thing after all.

@ all: Thanks for your kind words.

@ Gauss: Yes, I had the Works-Supercharger-Kit in my cromeorange Elise and I love the Jim Clark-wooden knob.Smiley I was looking for a used 2-11 but I did not find a affordable one in LHD.

Next tour on the plan is to visit the old race circuit in Reims/France to take some nice pictures with the new car and drink some champagne.Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

Sad story but a very nice ending, I love your replacement!

...at least it's an hounorable end for the Elise: sudden death during a spirited drive on Grimselpass suits this car better than rotting in a garage Smiley The Jim Clark edition looks super cool SmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

...at least it's an hounorable end for the Elise: sudden death during a spirited drive on Grimselpass suits this car better than rotting in a garage Smiley The Jim Clark edition looks super cool SmileySmiley

Very hounorable - my friend did it very well! Smiley

leitplanke.jpg

Rest.jpg

Furka-pass from the top - as you can see, he had a long straight to speed up right before the last corners of the pass...Smiley

Furka.jpg

And down in the valley inside  the garage of the Pickup-Company my little orange Elise met a little red swiss friend - not from our group.Smiley

pick.jpg

BlueflameSmiley

They are made of aluminium so they will not rust.

Sorry for your loss but I am glad that everybody is fine.

Next car is always the better car Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

seems the Grimsel was out to get as many elises as possible this weekend.

Oh dear!  Glad your friend did not get hurt.

Are you ported from Switzerland now?  I would be interested to know how the authorities deal with such an accident for a foreign car and driver. I had a very similar "self-inflicted" wet-road-meets-guard-rail accident which ended in a six month trip through the finest Swiss bureaucracy with endless fines and a lost driver's license...

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

bluelines:

Oh dear!  Glad your friend did not get hurt.

Are you ported from Switzerland now?  I would be interested to know how the authorities deal with such an accident for a foreign car and driver. I had a very similar "self-inflicted" wet-road-meets-guard-rail accident which ended in a six month trip through the finest Swiss bureaucracy with endless fines and a lost driver's license...

No problem with the authorities - we called the police - they said: no need to come, if no other car is involved - my insurance has to pay for the damaged guard rail.

I organized the pick with the help of my german automobil club ADAC - we had just 4 hours to wait.SmileyAfter 5 days the car was back in germany.

BlueflameSmiley

Interesting. Not very Swiss  I would have expected them to run up the mountain to find forensic evidence of excessive speeding or other offenses. Was this during the World Cup with Switzerland playing? 

Don't you need to file a police report to get the insurance payout?

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

bluelines:

No you do not need a police report. The insurance sends an expert to look at the car , that is enough for them if no other car is involved .

When I crashed with my Bro's GT3....the police passed by and stopped. They just looked if I did not seem to have committed an excessive dangerous driving offence..and as I did not, they just told me to get home as quickly as possible

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    bluelines:

No you do not need a police report. The insurance sends an expert to look at the car , that is enough for them if no other car is involved .

Thanks Gnil. I thought this was the reason you need a police report, so the insurance company ultimately knows if there has been an offense or not.

I was under the impression that all accidents, even where you are the only person and vehicle involved, does need a police report under Swiss law. This report will then be handed to court to assess if it was a minor or major offense. In either case you will get (at least one) fine Smiley I am hardly an expert on Swiss law, but I did read up a lot on the subject after my accident. Both your and Blueflame's experiences are very different to mine. I got a fine from the police, a fine from court and I lost my license for 1 month.

Apologies for hijacking the thread Blueflame Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:

Thanks Gnil. I thought this was the reason you need a police report, so the insurance company ultimately knows if there has been an offense or not.

I was under the impression that all accidents, even where you are the only person and vehicle involved, does need a police report under Swiss law. This report will then be handed to court to assess if it was a minor or major offense. In either case you will get (at least one) fine Smiley I am hardly an expert on Swiss law, but I did read up a lot on the subject after my accident. Both your and Blueflame's experiences are very different to mine. I got a fine from the police, a fine from court and I lost my license for 1 month.

Apologies for hijacking the thread Blueflame Smiley

I think you are right about the core.....but that there are many different interpretations and/or applications of the rules from canton to canton, police to police,etc..... For the GT3 , I just told the insurance that I slid and went into the ditch. There was no other question asked. ( But I am covered , and my Bro is covered for '' fautes graves'' ( major faults (?) ) That's maybe why for them it did not make any difference if I had done a major mistake or not . They had to pay anyway.  ( PS : If you are not protected against ''major faults'' do it.  It is cheap and very needed in today's world.)

Apologies to Blueflame for continuing the hijack Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

In fact my germany insurance had a problem with the missing police report because of the big damage on my car.Smiley

But I had a lot of people who could confirm, that the police had no time to come to the accident and I could tell the insurance the name of the policemen on the phone.

30 Minutes before the accident our group was stopped by the police - they gave us a friendly advise to slow down, because "speeding is dangerous". We did not get a ticket, because their laser gun was not ready, but they  had the  feeling we are too fast - this last call was not enough.Smiley

BTW: 3 days ago I received a speeding ticket from Zürich/CH from the same trip - 3 Km/h over the limit - 30 EUR - that´s ok for me.Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

blueflame:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Very hounorable - my friend did it very well! Smiley

leitplanke.jpg

Furka-pass from the top - as you can see, he had a long straight to speed up right before the last corners of the pass...Smiley

Furka.jpg

BlueflameSmiley

Glad to hear that everyone is ok, and I hope you had a good trip.

The right-hand corner at the bottom of Furka, where I think your friend crashed, is very tight. I almost had a "moment" coming down there in the 997.2 Carrera S last year, as it was a lot tighter than I expected. Fortunately there was no traffic coming the other way.

The new car looks very niceSmiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776824 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441566 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260845 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85122 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880562 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815716 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM