Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix

The new sanitized F1

In the vintage years of F1 (that every race fan is missing)  this would have been an exciting duel. Spectators would have been happy and the racers too. Nowadays, drivers complain and accuse each other and the FIA enjoys handing out penalties.

Ross Brawn opinion:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85816

Imagine in football if for every contact in the area a penalty was awarded.

--

"Form follows function"

Barrichello could have been very seriously injured, or even killed, by Schumacher's crude blocking manoeuvre..

I don't think he can help himself... it's almost instinctive now, he'll never change because he's always done it..i.e. Hill and Villeneuve.  But this was by far the most serious in terms of potential injury to another driver.

I've just taken down the signed portrait of MS which used to hang on my office wall....

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

reginos:

Ross Brawn opinion:

MS clearly looked in his right side mirror immediately prior to squeezing RB toward the concrete wall!

His intentions were very clinical and very dangerous...Smiley

--

reginos:

The new sanitized F1

You do realize that F1 cars back in the days would have never enabled you to survive a potential crash at that speed? You also do realize that open-wheel racecars are much more critical during contact? Judging by below picture, what would´ve been the consequence for Barrichello. Backing up would´ve resulted in a very certain crash, Schumacher just didn´t leave him any room to escape... while fighting for 10th place and not for the championship. Smiley

_48566528_schumi_incident_still.jpg

reginos:

The new sanitized F1

In the vintage years of F1 (that every race fan is missing)  this would have been an exciting duel. Spectators would have been happy and the racers too. Nowadays, drivers complain and accuse each other and the FIA enjoys handing out penalties.

Ross Brawn opinion:

Imagine in football if for every contact in the area a penalty was awarded.

Yeah, last Sunday Top Gear did a 15 minute feature on Ayrton Senna, where M. Brundle tried his best on justifying Senna's 'dirty' manouvers, wonder what he's saying about this incident now...

Ferdie:
    reginos:

The new sanitized F1

You do realize that F1 cars back in the days would have never enabled you to survive a potential crash at that speed? You also do realize that open-wheel racecars are much more critical during contact? Judging by below picture, what would´ve been the consequence for Barrichello. Backing up would´ve resulted in a very certain crash, Schumacher just didn´t leave him any room to escape... while fighting for 10th place and not for the championship. Smiley

_48566528_schumi_incident_still.jpg

The gap to the wall was very narrow anyway, prior to the movement of the Mercedes (which I agree with R Brawn it wasn't deliberate blocking).

So why Barichello tried to pull off this daring maneuver at that spot while fighting for 10th place and not for the championship?

Clearly, to win something, even so minor, over his old team mate and potentially have MS exposed even at his own risk. He risked possibly his life to boost his ego. After 299 starts in F1 still searching for glory over MS Smiley.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    The gap to the wall was very narrow anyway, prior to the movement of the Mercedes (which I agree with R Brawn it wasn't deliberate blocking).

So why Barichello tried to pull off this daring maneuver at that spot while fighting for 10th place and not for the championship?

Clearly, to win something, even so minor, over his old team mate and potentially have MS exposed even at his own risk. He risked possibly his life to boost his ego. After 299 starts in F1 still searching for glory over MS Smiley.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=48999 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

reginos:

Reginos, there is simply no angle with you could justify MS stunt. the gap was already narrow prior? Nope, here is another video, Schumacher was right in themiddle of the track prior, but closed the gap (suddently, not gradually as you have said) as Rubens was already commited to the inside at 300km/h, Rubens had nowere to go, he could not brake or avoid it, all he could do is hold on and pray to be able to squeeze through.

What is worst is that you can clearly see that MS was the whole time looking at the right rearview mirror with his helmet rotated and new what he was doing though it all. This was the worst part. MS lost his mind to pull something like this. He not only placed Rubens life in danger, but he deliverately placed his own... for what? a 9th place he was likely to loose anyway, in a season were he is in the back of the championship in 9th place? thats more important than riscking serous injury or leaving a wife and children? MS has lost it....

--

reginos:

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

It was a DIRTY move!

Like some of senna's but worse. It also had more to it as Barichello used to be Shumachers' water boy at Ferrari, so it seems he has trouble letting his old assistant get the better of him. Good for Barichello. I never liked Shumacher, over rated imo.

By the way, given that M. Schumacher has returned to his position as the official villain of F1 and apparently is the only driver in the circus who doesn't care about the safety of his fellow competitors, in today's podium:

1st place: Webbber did something similar to Massa two tyears ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyxIhMW_No

2nd place: Teflonso was quite happy to win a race thanks to his teammate crashing into a wall on purpose.

3rd place: Vettel did something similar to Teflonso at the start of the German GP just a week ago.

By the way, Rubens Barrichello is the same driver who didn't have any problems with throwing his steering wheel to the racing line after having crashed in Monaco, but of course the only crazy guy in F1 who's dangerous to race with is M. Schumacher.

Rossi:
    reginos:

SmileySmiley

--

"Form follows function"

The line between being a tough racer and doing a dirty move is very thin. I bet every single driver in F1 has crossed that line multiple times during his career.

Schumacher and Barichello know each other very good, and both have a tremendous amount of racing experience. I think Schumacher pulled away the last moment before a crash was unavoidable. He probably realized that he can't intimidate Barichello.

Having said that, MSC took way to much (unnecessary) risk and the penalty is well deserved. 

Eunice:

I think Schumacher pulled away the last moment before a crash was unavoidable. He probably realized that he can't intimidate Barichello.

Watch it again from the right perspective, Eunice, and you'll see that in fact Schumacher did not pull back to the left "at the last minute before a crash", but after Barichello's car had already passed the end of the concrete wall. 

--

fritz

Credits to sniffpetrol.com:

schumachers1004_3.jpg

--

fritz

Reginos, please lay down the crack pipe.

--

Morgan Aero 8

fritz:
    Eunice:

I think Schumacher pulled away the last moment before a crash was unavoidable. He probably realized that he can't intimidate Barichello.

Watch it again from the right perspective, Eunice, and you'll see that in fact Schumacher did not pull back to the left "at the last minute before a crash", but after Barichello's car had already passed the end of the concrete wall. 

After the wall, Barrichello only had two options left: Drive left and crash into Michael, or have two wheels on grass and crash into Michael at the next corner.

Barrichello pulled left and Michael gave room, in his own interest.

I see it this way: Michael tried to get Barichello in a position where he can either crash or pull back. Barichello turned that around and Michael had to give in.

Scenes like these is what the spectators love. But still, it was way too risky and was rightfully penalized.

Imo, Vettel did not go to sleep, I believe he was trying to do Webber a favour by backing up the pack, but it back fired because Webb's tyres lasted longer and gave him a clean air charge and the seconds needed for the pit stop tyre change..Then Vett's penalty just caused pure frustration..

Looked like pre race ( off radio) briefing to me,, in the words of, " if you can do an obvious favour then do it"....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Eunice:

Scenes like these is what the spectators love. But still, it was way too risky and was rightfully penalized.

This is the motor racing fans and spectators want to see. Otherwise they might be  watching  the European Athletics Meeting that was on during the weekend, where the races were very safe.

RB got through anyway without even touching each other, which means MSC exercised the right amount judgment at the right split second.

This is what the 7 times champion had to say:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85795

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Clearly, to win something, even so minor, over his old team mate and potentially have MS exposed even at his own risk. He risked possibly his life to boost his ego. After 299 starts in F1 still searching for glory over MS 

I honestly don´t know what´s going on in your mind. That´s called racing and doing so, I cannot see any mistake on Barrichello´s side. You have clearly never driven competitively on a racetrack.

Ferdie:
    reginos:

Clearly, to win something, even so minor, over his old team mate and potentially have MS exposed even at his own risk. He risked possibly his life to boost his ego. After 299 starts in F1 still searching for glory over MS 

I honestly don´t know what´s going on in your mind. That´s called racing and doing so, I cannot see any mistake on Barrichello´s side. You have clearly never driven competitively on a racetrack.

I enjoyed the chase a lot and the incidence between RB and MSC livened up the race. IMO neither driver did anything wrong and it was a daring move by RB and a  moment of excitement for the spectators and viewers.

Now if for the sake of argument, MSC were guilty (as FIA thinks) of closing the door near the wall with the potential (though not intention) of squeezing his opponent into a huge accident,IMO RB was reckless in trying to pull off the maneuver at that point and put himself in undue danger.

Whether me or you are racing drivers or not, has nothing to do with our opinions on this incident.

--

"Form follows function"

An explanation for MSC's poor form.

Does anyone believe this theory?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85823

--

"Form follows function"

Nope. There have been 24 other drivers this year who are all using the same front tyres.

http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2010/

IMHO Schumi's problems do not relate to his equipment - they are caused by his own shortcomings.

It is frankly not believable that Rosberg (who has never won a single race nor ever been on pole position) could adapt to the thinner front tyres and that a 7 time champ like Schumi could not. The past Schumi could drive undriveable cars and/or could drive in undriveable conditions.

Sadly, age catches up with all of us - even the very best drivers. The incident with Rubens at the Hungaroring proves Schumi has not lost his controversial style on track - that's his character which won't change - but other physical abilities (e.g. reflexes, stamina etc) diminish with each passing year - especially when he was retired for several seasons.

Regarding his competitiveness, IMO he went soft - which is inevitable when you are at home with the wife and kids. I expect the softness to go as he becomes battle-hardened again (i.e. mean and ruthless again) but, this time in his second F1 career, he won't have the physical abilities of youth to back that up.

I am not expecting any great miracles from him next year either. I expect a time will come (my guess is mid 2011) when he will realise it is time to call it a day.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

I agree! 1280760311377historics.gif

What you say is very logical.

I wonder if he can assist in car development though.

If not on the race track can he earn his fee in the test track and in the garage Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I have always been a fan of MS - NOT ANY MORE!  He had a chance to recover his bad reputation with his return - now he has sealed his bad reputation.  If I were him I would retire today and not return to the track!  He has lost his edge and is now a danger to himself and others - GIVE ME A BREAK 10th place fights - this is like my teenagers fighting over who sits in the front passenger seat!  Pointless and retarted.

He is done!  End of story - bye Michael, walk away (no, run)

Sorry it had to end this way...

Finally.. MS agrees with the general consensus here....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8878400.stm

--

Mercedes surely needs a kick up the ar*e too with RB over taking him with Cossie power?...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

John H:

Finally.. MS agrees with the general consensus here....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8878400.stm

Murray Walker probably reflects a lot of people's opinions with this view of the situation: 

Veteran BBC commentator Murray Walker agreed with Jordan's assessment.

"I am a massive Schumacher fan but I have to say he's gone down a bit in my estimation; his aggressive tactics have been over the top too often," he said.

"Australia '94, Jerez '97 and now Hungary in 2010 are just three examples which all exposed a flaw in his character and he more than deserved his 10-place grid penalty for Spa.

"I have to say the one in Hungary was the worst I have ever seen because if it had gone wrong Rubens Barrichello could have been very seriously hurt, maybe even killed, and the same thing applies to a lot of people in the pit lane.

"I just think he went a step too far and I sincerely hope that the rapping on the knuckles that he has had will stop him doing it again. But I doubt it."

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779374 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442277 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5820 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817636 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM