Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Justifying my once impulsive buy on the California...

Justifying my once impulsive buy on the California...
    Thanks to many... including RC, Nick and Enmanuel... I have bought the California as my first Ferrari and that it will become a daily driver for me replacing my C4S (sit tight, this maybe a terrible choice as I have yet to put the claim of a everyday Ferrari to test... let's hope it doesn't break fingers crossed... and burn like Nick's thread on the 458... I did believe a few R8s were burned as well)

At the dealer today, I saw a Nero waiting to be delivered, 2 Bianco Avus demo and 1 Nero Daytona, 2 Rosso Scuderia. The Rosso Scuderia looks good in person and in metal... so I think I am set on Rosso Scuderia with Black interior and red stitchings, 20" rims and yellow tachymeter and yellow calipers. Debating though if I should get the ipod connection. Can someone shed lights on this option and its usefulness. I ain't a music guy and I don't ipod much but would I miss it if I don't get it? Anyway, looking at the California, I think I have really made the right choice. This car speaks Ferrari to be honest.

The california is a beautiful and amazing car. It has been desigend by Ferrari initially intended to be branded as a
    Maserati. However, they made it too good, putting key featurers into it that they couldn't make it a Maserati anymore but instead it deserves the Ferrari logo.

The way I see it, it earned it's batch and if you look at the sales records, the California is one of the best selling and highly appreciated Ferraries ever. This is the car that to some extend assured the survival of Ferrari in the downturn as all other sales fell off a cliff. At least over here, there are 4/5 being delivered every month out of the 100 delivered and more.

It will be hailed in the future as a key vehicle in it's history. Something like the legendary Daytona, which in it's days was also considered not a real Ferrari. Now it is one of the most sought after versions.

The California has style, technology, performance and fully fits into the Ferrai portfolio. It is "the" technology driver for Ferrari (like the Mercedes S class for Mercedes, or the Porsche Turbo for Porsche) as it is the first to use the DCT gearbox that will be used in the future (see 458) in all Ferrari's. It is the first to use the direct injection technology. The first with a folding metal roof and the first with a multi link suspension.

Although my purchase was impulsive and emotional without even looking at the SLS and test driving the SLS or R8... I think it is the right choice.

I turn this around and ask myself the followings... which true super car is like it? Speed wise, the GTR and many others surpass the California... but if we want cheap speed, there are plenty around and you can always make a car goes fast by souping it up but as a package with good handling and all... none like California.

Split into three groups based on engineering/parts done by MASS market companies.

The Lamborghini? Engineering done by Audi.
    The Bentley? Engineering done by VW
    The Rolls Royce? Engineering done by BMW
    The AMG? Engineering done by Mercedes
    The Audi R8? Engineering done by Audi

The Astons? All use derived Jaguar engines and to some extend still Ford and Jag/Landrover parts. They will use Mercedes Engines in the future.
    The Porsches? Has been using BMW/VW (body parts/stampings), VW (AC condition), Audi (Tiptronic) parts for many years and is now apart of VW. Don't even mention the Cayenne.

The Maserati's? Engineering done by Ferrai and Maserati

The McLaren? Engineering done by McLaren with Engine developed by Ricardo

The Ferrari's? Engineering done by Ferrari

So, the only people that should ever say anything about the California are people that own one, everyone else, basically buys cars that are with different pedigrees.

The California is built in Maranello. I don't think there's anymore I need to know...

I did encounter many questions on my purchase...

I did have a few acquaintances making some comments about how I paid double for a maserati rebadged car and how I bought a fake Ferrari or how I got this cos I couldn't get the 458. Honestly, I like 458 as well and in the ideal world, I would want to have both but if I could only have one, I think it will be the California because I know I will drive it more. They are just apples and oranges and a 458 beside a California wouldn't make the California disappear into thin air because they are so different. With a 458, I will enjoy the thrill but I wouldn't drive it more than 1x or 2x a week as it is more nerve wrecking and with the traffic jam and all, there really is no reason. The California, I know I can drive it indeed 5-6x a week and still enjoy it very much so... in a relaxing way. Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy but I think I have summed it up. Nonetheless, I see a lot of controversy around this model which I bought and controversy happens for a reason, the shape, the look, the setup and the concept... well to me, most of those who made comments on my purchase never owned a Ferrari and most of them bought cars of a lesser pedigree but they are entitled to their opinions. Maybe that's why they never own a Ferrari California cos they really dislike it who knows. Let me own it first for a year or two and I will see but so far it is growing on me and without taking delivery, I go into the showroom just to see it... that's how attractive it is to me. It is a work of art to me and even if I can't drive it to work, I can go down and look at it and that's all the money well spent. I guess a lot of hardearned money goes into my purchase... Despite that... I know life is filled with challenges and hardwork in exchange for very very short moments of happiness... and for those short moments of happiness, it is worth a lifetime to remember, this applies not only to a car purchase, it also applies to non material matters like family times and moments with my little daughter... these moments no matter how short lived, is worth my lifetime to remember

Thanks for letting me share. I am waiting for it to come.

Re: Justifying my once impulsive buy on the California...

You really are excited about ordering your first Ferrari, aren't you ? 

Can't wait to read your first driving report. Especially since you owned a Porsche before.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

cookie monster:

The Porsches? Has been using BMW/VW (body parts/stampings), VW (AC condition), Audi (Tiptronic) parts for many years and is now apart of VW. Don't even mention the Cayenne.

I'm thrilled at your new purchase - genuinely - it's great that you have this enthusiasm and passion and that you share it here Smiley

Just one small thing - IMO one shouldn't dismiss Porsches in the way quoted above Smiley IMHO it's an all too easy mistake to make to form a decision and then work backwards from that to 'find' reasons for dismissing the other alternatives.

IMHO the truth is you knew deep down what you felt like getting - and then you stayed true to that feeling. So I hope you just really enjoy that Smiley

But please don't forget that there are Porsches that cause others to feel just as thrilled as you are by the California e.g. 997.2 GT3 RS, Carrera GT, 997 GT2 RS and the 918 Spyder (concept car) to name just a few Smiley

--

RT Moderator
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

SmileySmiley

YOur purchase WAS NOT IMPULSIVE. I would say you did a lot of studying as to what type of car you wanted and its color scheme. Was your decision to buy a Ferrari emotional? You bet and that is what owning a Ferrari is all about. You make a good purchase. Don't look back.

Even though you will spend more time enjoying the exhaust sound, I would still order the I-Pod connection. A car of that nature should have it as a standard feature. I  am surprised it isn't.Smiley

--

nberry:

SmileySmiley

YOur purchase WAS NOT IMPULSIVE. I would say you did a lot of studying as to what type of car you wanted and its color scheme. Was your decision to buy a Ferrari emotional? You bet and that is what owning a Ferrari is all about. You make a good purchase. Don't look back.

Even though you will spend more time enjoying the exhaust sound, I would still order the I-Pod connection. A car of that nature should have it as a standard feature. I  am surprised it isn't.Smiley

Couldn't have said better myself  Smiley  You are going to enjoy this car a lot ! 

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752878 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430549 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258512 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868139 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801706 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM