Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW X3 (F25) - official

The old X3 was ugly but it sold like hot cakes over here . I think it was the best selling SUV.

No daught this new version will de well.

The X1 sells also very well here . You see then already all over the place. In my town ( 3000 inhabitants ) there are about 6

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

It's a big improvement over the old X3, but I would still pick the X5 over the X3. The X3 is not that much smaller and cheaper anyway. Also the X5 doesn't look like a "big" SUV.

Agree with most that the front is ugly. 

My mother has the previous X3, cost a small fortune - 3.0 sport, had to buy the BMW bodykit to avoid the excessive black rubber bumpers (this was pre-facelift). cost roughly £44k. Waste of money, especially seeing as its up there with one of the worst cars i've ever driven.

--
    MY07 Cayman S, Basalt Black, Black

I agree with Lars 100%. I don't like the front lights either. But indeed I am very picky about front lights in general... I don't like Q5 lights either...

I was waiting for this car. It's so hard for me to hate it. But I can't say I like it either. Even with the M package the lights are still looking ugly to me. Damn! I was hoping I can buy this one as a daily driver.

I just want ground clearance, 200bhp+ refined diesel engine, low weight for a SUV (I mean top 1800kg) and ideally no more than 4.5 meters in length and decent looks. Why it's so hard to find this combo?

The SUV that I like the most right now (design wise) it's the new VW Touareg. Has everything I want except the weight and size :(

The small VW SUV looks bad to me...

--

There is no try. Just do.

i like it...with M package...any news for the 4.0(306bhp)diesel engine?

dimis:

i like it...with M package...any news for the 4.0(306bhp)diesel engine?

I love that engine, has so much pull from the low rev range...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Shakal:
    WAY:

Will there be  X3M I wonder.  That could have the next gen M3's new turbo engine? 

Currently BMW don't have any plans to build X3M, but we can expect 35si.

How accurate is this info? That would be disappointing for me. I want a smaller SUV that is as fast as my X5M. Maybe the top of the range sub-cayenne model will be the answer?

WAY:
    Shakal:
    WAY:

Will there be  X3M I wonder.  That could have the next gen M3's new turbo engine? 

How accurate is this info? That would be disappointing for me. I want a smaller SUV that is as fast as my X5M. Maybe the top of the range sub-cayenne model will be the answer?

Its from a friend who works in BMW. So what he says (he can't say much) is mostly accurate. But BMW didn't have initial plan to develop X5 M, X6 M , previous Z4 M, 1 M Coupe... but later they built them. Those plans are always changes. I heard that  "si" and "sd" will be introduced later..

I like it.  But then again, I also like my previous generation 3.0si X3 with sport package.  Definitely has its flaws but has its charm.

Great little run about for the city and when the weather turns.  I would have prefered the X5 but it is a lot bigger than the X3 and would not have worked well in the city.

Might have to take a look at the new one if the do make a X3M

--
    2007 997TT Blk/Blk 2007 X3 Sil Gry/Taupe 2002 E46 M3 Slvr/Blk (gone)

Hey Thuggy, I had the same X3 too in silver. I liked the size of it, but our X5M that replaced the X3 is in every way better than it.

Shakal:
    WAY:
    Shakal:
    WAY:

Its from a friend who works in BMW. So what he says (he can't say much) is mostly accurate. But BMW didn't have initial plan to develop X5 M, X6 M , previous Z4 M, 1 M Coupe... but later they built them. Those plans are always changes. I heard that  "si" and "sd" will be introduced later..

Thanks. So when will the higher powered 35is version get released?

WAY:
    Shakal:
    WAY:
    Shakal:
    WAY:

Thanks. So when will the higher powered 35is version get released?

I don't have any specific dates, but I guess not sooner than in last part of next year. I will try to get that information...

Paris Autoshow:

More photos:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/paris-2010-bmw-x3/full/#3418264

The front doesn't look as bad as  it did in the pictures released a while ago, but the desing is too similar with the X1 IMO.

--

Looking at the X3, I wonder if this car isn't the nail to the coffin of the X5 in the near future ? 

The X3 seems to be as big as the X5 now, not sure where the X5 fits in there anymore. 

I doubt that an even larger X5 would sell well in a couple of years but maybe if it is going to be much lighter and with a hybrid ? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Despite the exterior design and the lack of ventilated seats (it gets really hot and humid around here in summer) I would pick it over the current X5 because it's lighter and almost the same size.

--

RC:

The X3 seems to be as big as the X5 now, not sure where the X5 fits in there anymore. 

AFAIK the new X3 is as big as the first generation X5? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Pentium:

Despite the exterior design and the lack of ventilated seats (it gets really hot and humid around here in summer) I would pick it over the current X5 because it's lighter and almost the same size.

They just need to offer the right engine on it...the 306 HP petrol engine isn't really a highlight on a SUV and a powerful Diesel (the one from the X5 40d for example) is missing. Unfortunately I think that there is some sort of marketing strategy behind this.

Give me a 400 HP Diesel engine with 800 Nm torque in this puppy and I might buy it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

X5 E53:

Wheelbase     111.0 in (2819 mm)
    Length     183.7 in (4666 mm)
    Width     73.7 in (1872 mm)
    Height     2000-03 V8: 67.2 in (1707 mm)
    2001-03 V6: 67.5 in (1715 mm)
    2004-06 V8: 69.0 in (1753 mm)
    2004-06 V6: 69.3 in (1760 mm)

--

X3 F25 dimensions.jpg

X3 F25

--

X5 E70 dimensions.jpg

X5 E70

--

The next X5 will be bigger with 7 seats. So this new X3 will be the new "old X5" when the new X5 is launched.

--

"Form follows function"

Quattro (Q5) vs xDrive (X3):

Sorry Ziga but, this movie was doctored as much as possible by BMW. Only this-there will be maybe even a legal issued involved...

I drove Q5 3.0 TDI on heavy snow uphill mountain road last winter and get uphill without any problems(with snow tires). Some X6 drivers was not able to drive uphill on the same road...

BMW marketing remainds me on Nissan GT-R marketing...

I wonder whats the story behind this home made video by what seems like a BMW demonstration ecxercise, can they really think anybody would buy that video? BMW all-wheel drive systems of their road cars have never been a match for Audi's, and especially more so in case of the Torsen differential based version of the Quattro the Q5, Q7, A8, etc use in terms of 4x4 grip (FWIW, 4x4 offroader vehicles like the Hummer all use Torsen based AWD). Just like BMW's RWD has always been more effective than the AUDI's FWD or AWD in terms of sportiness in their road cars. 

Looks like that Q5's center differential opened, since instead of having its permanent all wheel drive with its torsen centre locking differential, when one axel is slipping  all the torque is stolen by that axel slipping further yet the other axel does not get any torque.

--

But what is reason why Q5 wasn't able to move forward ? Could be ESP turned off ? They wanted to show that when one axle doesn't have grip, the Torsen differential can´t shift torque to the other axle. I don't know it thats true, but in rl driving conditions (snow etc) I have good experiences both with quattro and xDrive.

Very fake video. BMW went too far with it. Like no spinning at all, how is that possible? I know, they blocked the rollers from rolling when the bimmer went up over them.....

I can still reasonably safely say the Audi Q is a better AWD system.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Shakal:

But what is reason why Q5 wasn't able to move forward ? Could be ESP turned off ? They wanted to show that when one axle doesn't have grip, the Torsen differential can´t shift torque to the other axle. I don't know it thats true, but in rl driving conditions (snow etc) I have good experiences both with quattro and xDrive.

Don't know, but here is a paragraph from AUDI on the Q5's Quattro:

The quattro® all-season four wheel drive technology distributes lasting power for all wheels of front and rear axles. Compared with an electronic center differential used on cars at the same level, the system is unique as it adopts a self-locking mechanical center differential. The mechanical structure can transmit the power to every wheel efficiently in a more reliable, direct and sensitive manner. The unique worm wheel-worm irreversible drive principle is utilized to realize different self-lock values and help Q5 cope with different off-road conditions easily. The system can distribute power to front and rear wheels based on a 40:60 torque split under normal conditions. With a rear torque bias, the driver will enjoy more fun during driving. In addition, the electronic differentials that are at the front and rear axles can control the wheels which lose traction to avoid loss of power. Even when three wheels lose traction, the quattro® system can still help Q5 get rid of the difficult situation.

What I do know is that in terms of grip on slippery roads specifically, the Torsen are better regarded than electronic differentials. The downside of the Torsen is that they are more expensive ( in the lower class models like A3 platform based AWD versions, AUDI uses a electronic based AWD instead, like the one the X3 uses) and can also be heavier. Also another downside is that in sport driving applications they are not as sporty in handling as say, viscous-coupling center differential or electronic differential, they tend to understeer more. So if you want AWD grip and safety in slippery situations they are great, but there is a trade off too for other appliations (price, sportcars, etc). But in the case of snow or mud for example, the Quattro on the Q5 is superior than a electronic Xdrive.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Shakal:

Don't know, but here is a paragraph from AUDI on the Q5's Quattro:

The quattro® all-season four wheel drive technology distributes lasting power for all wheels of front and rear axles. Compared with an electronic center differential used on cars at the same level, the system is unique as it adopts a self-locking mechanical center differential. The mechanical structure can transmit the power to every wheel efficiently in a more reliable, direct and sensitive manner. The unique worm wheel-worm irreversible drive principle is utilized to realize different self-lock values and help Q5 cope with different off-road conditions easily. The system can distribute power to front and rear wheels based on a 40:60 torque split under normal conditions. With a rear torque bias, the driver will enjoy more fun during driving. In addition, the electronic differentials that are at the front and rear axles can control the wheels which lose traction to avoid loss of power. Even when three wheels lose traction, the quattro® system can still help Q5 get rid of the difficult situation.

What I do know is that in terms of grip on slippery roads specifically, the Torsen are better regarded than electronic differentials. The downside of the Torsen is that they are more expensive ( in the lower class models like A3 platform based AWD versions, AUDI uses a electronic based AWD instead, like the one the X3 uses) and can also be heavier. Also another downside is that in sport driving applications they are not as sporty in handling as say, viscous-coupling center differential or electronic differential, they tend to understeer more. So if you want AWD grip and safety in slippery situations they are great, but there is a trade off too for other appliations (price, sportcars, etc). But in the case of snow or mud for example, the Quattro on the Q5 is superior than a electronic Xdrive.

--

Thanx Carlos Smiley This is similar video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGWsogAlZLE ), but I spent some time in same A8 as in this video, and quattro never failed. So I guess it  has something to do with ESP turned on / off. 

KresoF1:

Sorry Ziga but, this movie was doctored as much as possible by BMW. Only this-there will be maybe even a legal issued involved...

I drove Q5 3.0 TDI on heavy snow uphill mountain road last winter and get uphill without any problems(with snow tires). Some X6 drivers was not able to drive uphill on the same road...

BMW marketing remainds me on Nissan GT-R marketing...

You're right, today I talked to a friend who works in one car magazine and he said that there is something wrong with Q5 in video and is fake according to him. Unfortunately I can't delete it because I can't edit this post anymore..

Anyway, the lastest tehnology isn't always the best: Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690698 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409906 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256103 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774859 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM