Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Wonderful truck (X5 M)...lucky day

Haha, what you see is already much much better than over here. It's almost always a life and death situation here in North America.

putting on makeup while driving, eating, chatting, texting, reading news paper and magazines, just to name a few that's happened TODAY, a few hours ago while I was on the highway.

RC:

Germans usually move to the right lane when others come from behind, driving fast. We have however a lot of "teachers" who don't move to the right because they don't want other people to drive that fast. What many people don't know: it is the law on the german Autobahn to move to the right lane after finishing passing other cars. Unfortunately some people don't care about it, I had an Audi A6 SW driving on the left lane for at least 10 km without a single car on the right and he wouldn't move to the right. Passing him on the right ? Well...it is forbidden in Germany (something many foreigners don't know, it is a serious offense to pass others on the right), with one exception though: if there is a lot of traffic left and right, you are allowed to pass on the right but only at a very slow speed compared to the cars on the left.

Surprisingly, french drivers seem to be the most civilized regarding high speeds: I usually drive a bit faster in France and the drivers there always move to the right side when they see me coming. If they don't move to the right, they are usually German tourists...or dutch. 

We do have the exact smae law over here.

I am always surprised in Germany to end up having nearly everytime a station wagon diesel (Mercedes C , E , Audi A4, A6 ) not wanting to let me pass, driving at around 160-180 km/h and not mooving to the right. It seems I always get behind one of those !!!!!Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I am always surprised in Germany to end up having nearly everytime a station wagon diesel (Mercedes C , E , Audi A4, A6 ) not wanting to let me pass, driving at around 160-180 km/h and not mooving to the right. It seems I always get behind one of those !!!!!Smiley

Yes, this is something I never understand on the german Autobahn. There is somebody driving 160-220 kph in front of you but he/she wouldn't move to the right to let you pass. Maybe people aren't used to higher speeds, so when they drive 160-220 kph, they think they are fast and nobody drives faster ?! I don't have a more logical explanation for that. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Surprisingly, french drivers seem to be the most civilized regarding high speeds: I usually drive a bit faster in France and the drivers there always move to the right side when they see me coming. If they don't move to the right, they are usually German tourists...or dutch. 

Especially in a diesel car, if the car in front doesn't move the right fast enough, and force me to brake, it will take a while for my 740d to accelerate back to top speed. I usually flash my lights once and turn my left blinker from as far as 200 meters. You are right about most NL plate car. They never move to the right. I wonder why they are so slow

French driver are civilized in the country side but not so much near Paris. I like Italian driving style. They never follow the speed limit and also considerably more aggressive.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Just be careful with flashing your lights in Germany on the Autobahn...it can be considered duress, punishable by german law. We also have some idiots who feel provoked by flashing lights and then you're going to spend half an hour on the left lane, trying to drive faster than that idiot in front of you. 

Yes, Paris is different, so is South France (Cote d'Azur).

Regarding italian style: be careful in Italy, italian police isn't what it was supposed to be. They are very strict now about speeding, red light runovers and bad parking...no kidding around anymore. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Gnil:
    RC:

Germans usually move to the right lane when others come from behind, driving fast. We have however a lot of "teachers" who don't move to the right because they don't want other people to drive that fast. What many people don't know: it is the law on the german Autobahn to move to the right lane after finishing passing other cars. Unfortunately some people don't care about it, I had an Audi A6 SW driving on the left lane for at least 10 km without a single car on the right and he wouldn't move to the right. Passing him on the right ? Well...it is forbidden in Germany (something many foreigners don't know, it is a serious offense to pass others on the right), with one exception though: if there is a lot of traffic left and right, you are allowed to pass on the right but only at a very slow speed compared to the cars on the left.

We do have the exact smae law over here.

Exact same thing here in Spain, its actually ilegal to be on the left lane unless you are overtaking someone on the right lane, once you finish overtaking you should move back to the right lane... but still you have morons who are clueless about traffic around them or rules and hog the left lane as if its just another lane, usually people who are unable to use their mirrors to control the traffic around them, people who don't pay attention or their driving skills are substandard, people who think nobody should drive faster than them, etc... the problem is that the police don't really enforce that law enough, there is more money in speeding fines I guess Smiley

And the closer you are to a bigger city the worse it is. Interestingly, in noticed that in Portugal the tend to move over more when you come up behind them on the left lane.

--

What about the left indicator trick RC... Used to drive miles and miles with the thing on to warn drivers ahead.. I have good experiences with it. Also when you are behind some e class in the left land, instead of flashing your lights you can just go with the left indicator.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

What about the left indicator trick RC... Used to drive miles and miles with the thing on to warn drivers ahead.. I have good experiences with it. Also when you are behind some e class in the left land, instead of flashing your lights you can just go with the left indicator.

I find drivers are more easily provoke by left blinker lights than actual high beam. High beam from 150m serve a purpose of warning driver in the front in advance that you are traveling at a high rate of speed. They usually will move to avoid accident.

In other Europe country,  left blinker means "be patient i am passing slow trucks, will move as soon as I can" 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Using the left indicator can be considered as aggressive driving, as is repeated use of high beam or a lack of safety distance to the car in front. You are allowed to use high beam and horn to warn other drivers, e.g. if they inadequately move to your lane.

Exact same thing here in Spain, its actually ilegal to be on the left lane unless you are overtaking someone on the right lane, once you finish overtaking you should move back to the right lane... but still you have morons who are clueless about traffic around them or rules and hog the left lane as if its just another lane, usually people who are unable to use their mirrors to control the traffic around them, people who don't pay attention or their driving skills are substandard, people who think nobody should drive faster than them, etc... the problem is that the police don't really enforce that law enough, there is more money in speeding fines I guess Smiley

And the closer you are to a bigger city the worse it is. Interestingly, in noticed that in Portugal the tend to move over more when you come up behind them on the left lane.

I find Spain one of the most pleasant driving environment in Europe. It has very light traffic, relax cops and good roads. Things are different when I got closer to Barcelona. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

william:

I find Spain one of the most pleasant driving environment in Europe. It has very light traffic, relax cops and good roads. Things are different when I got closer to Barcelona. 

Thats true and depends on the region as you mention. Barcelona for example, belongs to the region of Cataluña and they have their own regional traffic police, Mossos d'Escuadra, as opposed to the Guarcia Civil, and these Mossos are generally regarded as the worst traffic cops in the country, the most anal retentive, arogant, and fine-happy. Also heavy tourism and proximity to the second largest city in Spain makes for more congested traffic.

The opposite is an area like mine were the roads are good and high capacity but with light traffic, and cops are +/- reasonable. So you can do a 160km trip to another city and it takes about 80 mins for the centre of one to the centre of the other, with little traffic, good highway for confortable 160km/h cruising, and no city traffic jams from and to.

Still Portugal has much better cops, good roads nowadays, and even though city and  B roads are more dangerous, highway driving is very pleasant since drivers move over and keep the left lane free more.

My worst recent experience was Orlando a few years back, the roads are all straight and flat, with 20 thousand lanes and everybody driving at the same speed in all of the lanes, all slowly and while talking on the mobile, drinking/eating, etc, etc... it was absolute torture twitch.gif

--

Carlos from Spain:

Thats true and depends on the region as you mention. Barcelona for example, belongs to the region of Cataluña and they have their own regional traffic police, Mossos d'Escuadra, as opposed to the Guarcia Civil, and these Mossos are generally regarded as the worst traffic cops in the country, the most anal retentive, arogant, and fine-happy. Also heavy tourism and proximity to the second largest city in Spain makes for more congested traffic.

The opposite is an area like mine were the roads are good and high capacity but with light traffic, and cops are +/- reasonable. So you can do a 160km trip to another city and it takes about 80 mins for the centre of one to the centre of the other, with little traffic, good highway for confortable 160km/h cruising, and no city traffic jams from and to.

Still Portugal has much better cops, good roads nowadays, and even though city and  B roads are more dangerous, highway driving is very pleasant since drivers move over and keep the left lane free more.

My worst recent experience was Orlando a few years back, the roads are all straight and flat, with 20 thousand lanes and everybody driving at the same speed in all of the lanes, all slowly and while talking on the mobile, drinking/eating, etc, etc... it was absolute torture twitch.gif

--

RC, glad anything bad happend to your family.

Portugal has the same rules as Germany , France or Spain, you can´t drive on the left lane of the highway if you´re not passing a car and so on. The worst cenario is the three lane highway, because everyone is driving on the middle lane and it gets very dangerous.

Carlos you´re right about Orlando. Once I went from Miami to Orlando and vice versa...jezzzz you drive miles and miles with the same group of cars next to you, everybody goes at same speed using the cruise control, and it´s just like they were at home, making every damn thing while driving.

Most scary situation I had on a three lane highway. I was in middle lane passing at 120/130Kph a car that was on the right lane, and sudenly, I see a car on the left lane coming in my direction, just an unbelieveble situation guys. He just cross me driving in the wrong direction... I couldn´t believe what my eyes saw. We phoned to Police immediatly and they already knew about it. Never knew if there was an accident caused by that crazy driver, but suposed not, because we didin´t hear anything on the news the day after.

J.Seven

Yes, driving in the US is torture for many Europeans but to be honest, I prefer driving in Florida over California (LA area).

I actually like the cops in the US most because some of them are reasonable...if you are nice to them...they have a lot of liberty regarding giving out tickets...or not.

If a german cop catches you speeding...there is almost no way to avoid a ticket, they do it by the book.

Best driving experience so far: Eastern Europe. Be nice, be generous and you can get away with almost everything. Driver's paradise. Smiley

--

The best driving i experienced would be rural Spain as mentioned and... NORWAY! People there all know how to drive due to snow conditions, they also have stunning roads and little traffic. Reminds of of Canada, expect here people CANNOT drive at all. However, if you are nice to cops here you can get out of it (with a good record). Canada would be my drivers paradise, if there were NO other drivers out here

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

The worse driving bar none is right here on DR, nobody respects the traffic laws and people drive like they are alone on the roads. not to mention crazy public transport drivers and the swarm of suicidal bike drivers.

Enmanuel:

The worse driving bar none is right here on DR, nobody respects the traffic laws and people drive like they are alone on the roads. not to mention crazy public transport drivers and the swarm of suicidal bike drivers.

You haven't seen those Chinese driving in China yet. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh China and India, i have not driven there yet but i've been in cities, and yes i would not survive out there.. they appear to have NO rules..

On another note, I really enjoyed driving in Dubai! Been there about 8 times over the years and rented different cars ranging from a Toyota Landcruiser which we took into the surrounding deserts, to a BMW. Gotta LOVE the streets they have built near and in the city. The highways especially are good constructed, wide and very well marked.

--

overpasses, it's very clever designs for future expansion if Dubai survives

--

One more thru the canyon of suburb Dubai (towards the Burj) 

--

I was first in Dubai in 1998, and i remember how this road looked like...

Then compare that to like a decade and 1/2 later

--

Atzporsche:

So you were flying in style also Smiley

Whoopsy:
    Enmanuel:

You haven't seen those Chinese driving in China yet. You ain't seen nothing yet.

ok saw some videos on youtube, they do take the cake. but its not a walk in the park here, trust me, at least they have good roads Smiley

Whoopsy:
    Enmanuel:

I have driven in China couple of times. The highway infrastructure is actually pretty good because they are quite new. The dangerous part is that you can't predict the mainland driver's action. Most of them have no logic to their driving behavior.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Atzporsche:

Wow, looks like I should make a trip to Dubai soon.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Atzporsche:

Somebody doesn't seem to understand that electronic devices need to be shut off completely during take-off and landing. A digital camera is an electronic device too.

A stewardess once had to shout to a passenger who didn't stop video taping during landing. 

I also had once a quarrel with two guys from the spanish handball national team because they were playing wirelessly a PSP game against each other during landing.  Smiley

--

Because it is not proven that devices cause interfences?

Actually in private planes, there is no such restriction...

SciFrog:

Because it is not proven that devices cause interfences?

Actually in private planes, there is no such restriction...

Has it been proven that they don't cause interferences? 

This is a nice comment I found on an aviation forum:

I too am an Electrical Engineer. I feel that Mr. Zammit has overlooked that the very well shielded cables sometimes terminate at antennas. And yes, one iPod puts out an extremely small amount of RF. But on a flight carrying 135 passengers, perhaps 30 or so iPods, PDAs, etc. might be running. I know that I have, more than once, forgotten to turn off my cellphone during a flight. The phone was in my carry-on, which I never opened. But there was my little cell, dutifully seaching for a tower. My point? There probably is no risk. But why take ANY chance? Is the lives of 135 people worth being able to listen to music for the 10 minutes from takeoff to altitude? Bring some ear plugs if you can't stand the noise. I'd much rather know that some new flyer hears the exit instructions instead of being the person who panics during a crash and blocks my exit from the airplane. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

So far, it has been only proven, that cell phones don't cause interference during flight but during take-off and landing, they would still be needed to be switched off.

What has also been proven is that CD players can, under certain circumstances, cause interference. So do wireless toys which may not be properly certified.

Again...why take the risk ?

There are certain rules aboard a plane and every passenger needs to stick to them. It is the law. Aboard a plane, the captain can theoretically order you to shut your mouth for the whole flight, he is the boss, it is similar to the captain of a ship.

Rules aren't always convenient but we live by them. If everybody bends or even ignores the rules, this would sooner or later result in anarchy. 

Btw: one of the passengers, a woman, was frightened of flying anyways. When she saw these two handball players playing on their PSPs, she freaked out because she knew it isn't allowed. This is when I jumped in too because there are rules.

As stupid some of these rules may sound to us, we can't always ignore them. Especially not on a plane with 100-500 people. I don't mind keeping my iPad off for take-off and landing, so why would it bother other people?

Better to be safe than sorry, especially on a plane where your survival chances would be practically 0% if something happens. Smiley

--

Well said RC! Smiley

Those type of guys always make me angry for acting plain stupid like you described.

--

There is no try. Just do.

The RF capabilities of a mobile phone or wireless device are much higher than of  a digital camera. After all, it is about remaining well within a certain safety margin as its influence is seen quite controversial.

Getting back to the original topic of the thread, if one is overly conscious of safety why would he or she drive at the very limit of a car in the first place? Not referring to one´s abilities but the influence of mechanical occurrences or other drivers´ actions can never be excluded on the street.

Because "ONE" it's a MAN! Smiley

And we like to do that! Smiley

Also we love sports, wine and sex Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM