Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Help on opinions on making a switch from C4S PDK to California

nberry:

REgarding reliability I can support Iain;s statement that Ferrari's have improved tremendously. Our local Ferrari dealer service department has suffered a dramatic decline in service work all attributed to better build quality of recent Ferrari models.

I also agree there is more passion in driving a Ferrari but I have come to believe it has more to do with the exhaust than the driving experience. I miss the Ferrari exhaust while driving the new Turbo.But I DO NOT MISS THE PERFORMANCE because the Turbo I am driving would have SPANKED all my previous Ferrari's. 

Also, I am amazed has to how many thumbs up from other drivers while driving the Turbo. I have always felt that there were too many Porsche's but the car has a rabid following. For some unfathomable reason women like Porsche's better than Ferrari's. I believe a survey was done supported that fact. I have experienced first hand when I owned Ferrari's. 

Give me the Ferrari sound in my wife's 997.2TT and there is no way I would pick the 458 over it. It is a $100,000 cheaper, better build quality and has equal if not better performance for public roads.

Finally, to repeat what I wrote above, today the major problem with Ferrari is putting miles on the car.  Go over 2-3000 miles and you are facing epic depreciation.

Nick thx... regarding the depreciation...that's something I don't know but ferrari and porsche are best when it comes to depreciation... I will lose may 20-25% even after 7000 km almost 24 months. Put that on the R8 you will lose up to 45% . Really 2-3000 is the benchmark for epic depreciation... that makes the california being a daily driver a weak proposition.

ISUK:

I was having a gentle dig at your thriftiness Nick

The 997.2 turbo isn't for me though I'm afraid. I just don't find the blown Porsche an attractive prospect regardless of it's speed. I'd agree that in daily driving the Porsche will potentially be the faster car but in all honesty you can't really scratch the surface of what it can do most of the time and at slower speeds I found it just lacked any sort of involvement. I actually preferred driving our Boxster as it could be hustled along and provide more adjustable fun at much lower speeds. I've got a GT3 order in the pipeline as I thought that model may provide a rawer, more involving driving experience. I've been given a September build slot but haven't spec'ed the car as yet and doubt I'll bother to take it as I can't see me taking it out in preference to the 458 for a fun drive or the Cali on a top down weather day.

I've driven PDK in the 997.2 C2S, Panamera turbo and  in my better half's 987.2 Boxster S. It's a good box but in no way is it superior to the DCT fitted to the California. I even had my dealer retrofit the paddle shift wheel a few weeks back on her car to make it more fun for me when I drive it. It's a definite improvement but the shifts are still not that involving IMHO. Ferrari have engineered in an additional torque boost on upshifts to their DCT in sport mode and you can really feel this if you don't lift on changes. There is also an almighty bang from the exhaust on fast upshifts which is most satisfying. You can always rely on the Italians to add in a bit of theatre and drama in the sound department

As yet I've only had a brief drive in a 458 but can safely say that the DCT in that is even better than the Cali especially in Race mode Go and have a play in one. I'll be very interested in your feedback on the car. I'll be gobsmacked if you don't rekindle your passion for Maranello's magic.

Interesting on the mileage issue differences. Here a Porsche is considered high mileage if you do more than 5k to 10k miles a year in it by dealers.

Dear all, I put 7000 km on my c4s since nov 2008 delivery making it 19 months... so safely presume 5000 km/yr for me. Now when we talk about 2-3000 miles on California to maintain good depreciation, Nick, is it per year? I mean it's impossible to fathom owning the California for only the first 3000 miles before the deprecation hit heavily... per year I can accept that's how much I drive but 3000 in a lifetime of ownership... no way... in that case, I should just get a near new 2000 km used F Cali but such is asking almost same price on par with the MSRP... so Ferrari... no point in buying near new when the diff is so marginal...  tks for enlightening me... I am a first time POTENTIAL wanting a cali buyer... I just have to get over the hump of the lump sum a big one... as I keep thinking that R8 V10 is a bargain considering that it is a LAMBO setup engine and audi reliability for less than the Cali... I am just torn... I think the Audi has a more water downed marque but it cannot pale in comparison to the cali or even the 458 on experience as it has the lambo engine and setup... MR. a tough decision but exclusivity is much more on Cali as Audi... you can pull up and see yourself next to a TT and the wifey may say... that looks like yours... it happened before...

I assume Nick means 3000 miles per year which would be the same as the UK market.

In the US a total of 3000 miles or more on a Ferrari is considered high. Most owners have several cars and keep Ferrari mileage low. The California may be an exception because it is more of a GT car and I believe designed for more daily use. It is difficult to assess since it is a relatively new model and resale values remain uncertain. 

Apparently many used California's are hitting the market now. There are several for sale but at relatively high prices. They will only go down in price as more are put on the market.

--

Rossi:
    REALZEUS:

It is a well proven fact that the 458 is a lot quicker than the 997.2 PDK under normal conditions nberry (to the tune of a full second from standstill to 125 mph).

If 997.2 PDK means Carrera you're right, but if it means 997.2 TT PDK, I would not count on that. Smiley

Well, you should count on it Stefan. A 0-200 km/h in 9.7s is not to be sniffed at. ;)

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

They are holding up well here Nick as new supply is being limited to ensure residuals are kept high. I stopped by a Ferrari dealer I don't use last week to have a look at their 458. Whilst I was there they were very keen to buy my Cali and were prepared to offer not far short of list for it as they can't get enough cars to satisfy customer demand.

REALZEUS:
    Rossi:
    REALZEUS:

It is a well proven fact that the 458 is a lot quicker than the 997.2 PDK under normal conditions nberry (to the tune of a full second from standstill to 125 mph).

If 997.2 PDK means Carrera you're right, but if it means 997.2 TT PDK, I would not count on that. Smiley

Well, you should count on it Stefan. A 0-200 km/h in 9.7s is not to be sniffed at. ;)

Well, you are talking about QR test numbers here I guess...Smiley They wont be repeated by any magazine from Germany and UK-you can bet on that.

BTW, in that QR test 458 did 400m in 11.0s...

In latest EVO 997.2 Turbo S did 1/4mile(402.25m) in 11.0s...

So up to 400 metres its even stevens between an S and a 458 (and quicker than a plain 997.2 TT then). Above that the superior power/weight ratio of the F should clear the game. 0-1000 metres and 0-300 km/h times would be most interesting Kreso.

Anyway, we are off topic here. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

ISUK:

They are holding up well here Nick as new supply is being limited to ensure residuals are kept high. I stopped by a Ferrari dealer I don't use last week to have a look at their 458. Whilst I was there they were very keen to buy my Cali and were prepared to offer not far short of list for it as they can't get enough cars to satisfy customer demand.

Yeah but in their defense, who wouldn't want to buy it. I am still to see another Cali as good looking as yours Smiley

ISUK:

cookie monster... The Cali is a fun car but it is bigger and heavier than a 997 so isn't quite as agile and due to the front engined configuration the handling is very different. My best advice would be to take a few test drives and try to drive the car over roads you are very familiar with so you can judge if the handling suits your driving style. Most cars have the magnaride system which firms up the dampers in sport mode but left them too soft in comfort mode for my liking so I went with the standard mechanical suspension which is a compromise setting between the comfort and sport modes of Magnardide with more bias towards the sport. I prefer it as I find it more predictable but there has been a software update for the Cali's Magnaride system so it may be better now. The 458 has Magnaride as standard and it's superb in that car.

If you do go fo a Cali there is some good info over on FerrariChat.com on which options are worthwhile and those that are not. The upgraded hi-fi seems to be a big no no asthose who've bought it say it's very poor value and doesn't deliver much of an improvement for a huge extra cost. The rear seats are all but useless IMHO and the next Cali I order I'm going for the rear bench option.

I helped a female customer at my dealer to spec her car as she wanted it to look sporty to replace a 430 spider but wasn't sure what to pic. She choose Rosso Corsa for the exterior and left me to come up with options for her interior. Here's the one she chose and she loves it. I think it really transforms the look of the car from GT cruiser to sports car.

IMG_0437.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0433.JPGIMG_0431.JPG

Lovely combo... I was thinking colours too... red maybe a little cliche but it is always classic. rosso corsa is the ferrari red I presume but I had been thinking about WHITE too... which is fairly interesting and different. My current C4S is carrara white with black interior red stitchings red belts red calipers... I m thinking about rosso corsa or white with BLACK interior and for a change yellow stitchings yellow caliper or red stitchings red calipers matching belts. Resale will be better on a red one for sure.

Enmanuel:

Yeah but in their defense, who wouldn't want to buy it. I am still to see another Cali as good looking as yours Smiley

Smiley

kreso, i dont agree with your list of negative things in the 458:

throttle sensitivity???? i am driving my car everyday since 10 days, and i didnt notice ANYTHING wrong with it, i am sure its a thing related to first batch of cars.

gearbox: IMO it is much better than pdk, and much faster, and it feels smoother from 1st to 2nd imo

ferrari always had very strong engines, they never have an issue in it unlike their previous gearboxes.

i agree with lain, a ferrari without those sounds, kicks , and orgy of emotions would not be appealing to me, every single day since i got my car delivered, i say to myself: how could they have done it better???? its a car that feels as confortable in a traffic jam as a honda , yet in a turn of few buttons becomes a full fledged beast

regarding the speed, a turbo might be a bit quicker than a 458, i dont really know, but then again, a GTR(that i personally think is one of the best car ever) on a slightly twisted road would kill a turbo anyday. 

for me the only car that does everything is the 458

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 

2009 Fiat 500 Abarth SS Ferrari 

thx all today I went into the showroom, car wasn't there... but I was invited to a test drive on a Bianco Avus on Red demo car...

It does look like there are many personalizations. If I am doing it, i will consign my 997 4s there and have a Jan production for March delivery... although I was offered one to be produced in Oct/Nov for Jan arrival... which would make it a 09/10...

The interior has many combos and I am down to the following colours (but undecided on a switch on 100% yet)... I will have to let it settle for a week and see... if I have to do it... i would have to have my deposit down firm and consign my 4S... I was also given a nice copy of the 458 booklet... which looks gorgeous... it is eons > Lambo on looks... but the line is up to 2014... so the salesman is offering a drive on the California up till then to switch to 458 but 2014??? It would be mid cycle already... and god knows what happens in 2014...  Europe could have fallen or the Euros could rebound who knows... things change too much too fast too soon these days and who would have thought the Euro could go down to 1.18 and the sterling will come under more pressure...

Let's give it a week... I am 50/50 now but am worried though a bit that I am buying the California cos I can't buy the 458 now... but then I think they are on different spectrums... one is a GT for more everyday use the other is more hardcore... the California suits me more as I don't really track.

I am not for the Blue but onto Bianco Avus, Rosso Corsa (there are 2 other reds... Rosso Scuderia too... but gotta look more) and Black most likely metallic... but before I take a test drive, I must get my mind settled I am ready to make the switch.

OH by the way fellow car pro, excuse my ignorance... is it me or my lack of knowledge that I see Ferrari changing their models more quickly than Porsche? I am certainly not the first batch owner of the California as they started here in 2009 december and full 2010 but I will be ordering mine now most likely Jan 2011 prod and 2011 march delivery... but it looks like they will be changing the model in 2013? 

but I did see something funny... it looks like 2011 we shall see the new 612 and 2012 the new 599 and 2013 a M version modificato of the California... I couldn't believe how soon they start to change the model... so it's like I buy it now and 2 years' time they will change it... can someone enlighten that part? The good side is that I am not buying the brand new model in its first year but in year 2-3 interim... Of course there's always the comfort of waiting for the 998 but... that will be bland. If I don't buy the F car now... it looks like I will be continuing my Porsche man journey well into 2011 and buying the 998 would mean another few years of Porsche... then maybe F will not be there... I hope this California experience... will exhilarate me and then I will continue the journey onto the next F car... maybe the 458 or the next one...

Drive the California and if you like it buy it. A word of caution; the exhaust is intoxicating especially after owing a Porsche. Don't let that be the reason why you buy the car.

The California is a new model and yes you can expect enhancements down the road. Typically the changes deal more with mechanical items as opposed to styling changes. For an example, not all 430's are the same. Each year they improve parts or offer more options.

The bottom line is you are buying this car to get in line for the 458. This is the Ferrari system. You pay your dues. The upside is that those who are after you will have to pay more for your California when you turn it in so that they get on the list.Smiley

--

Ferrari do mid life updates around the 4 year mark on their cars with full model changes around the 8 year mark. This is around the same as Porsche - 997 launched late '04, Generation 2 facelift came in late'08. The California was launched in September '08 with first deliveries to customers around Jan '09. The Modificata California will probably be launched in late 2013 with first deliveries in early 2014.

nick and ISUK... I will take a week to decide... the dealer is saying that 458 wait list up till 2014 but it looks like then the 458 is coming to an end after 5th year? I don't know how long F car's cycle is? like Porsche? 7 - 8 years?

I was also called up on the SLS launch... I ain't a fan of Mercedes but this is a much better proposition than the SLR and the SL65 amg but the door... I ain't sure... it's a bit much... impractical to get in and out...

Cookie Monster, once your in the program with Ferrari your wait times for the newer models drops considerably. If you get you 458 in 2014 and a new model is introduced in 2015 or so you will be able to get the new model sooner. FWIW, if you're buying a California you should not have to wait until 2014 before you can order a 458. Your dealer can and should do better.

The SLS is something you should explore but I understand there is a wait. It is a totally different car than the California. Less versatile and more performance oriented. I thought the cabin was too small and the hood too long. But its performance number are excellent.

Drive the California before you buy. 

--

nberry:

Drive the California and if you like it buy it. A word of caution; the exhaust is intoxicating especially after owing a Porsche. Don't let that be the reason why you buy the car.

The California is a new model and yes you can expect enhancements down the road. Typically the changes deal more with mechanical items as opposed to styling changes. For an example, not all 430's are the same. Each year they improve parts or offer more options.

The bottom line is you are buying this car to get in line for the 458. This is the Ferrari system. You pay your dues. The upside is that those who are after you will have to pay more for your California when you turn it in so that they get on the list.Smiley

My C4S ... when I took delivery, I was disappointed... I wanted my 911 to have a bit more raw aspect like the once eons old air cool... so let me listen to that... Nick, but this is my qualms... the differential between cali and 458 is a mere 16%... MSRP... so the only bummer is that after getting the california and when the 458 comes out, I know that's the one I SHOULD'VE ordered... though they are different species...  nonetheless, today, I was at the steakhouse and the one I frequent a lot... the valet guy which I know well while chatting said I really should try the R8... he said brand aside, fit finish, sound and speed and look and feel are as good as any other supercar brand. I also today saw a phantom drophead convertible with the license plate GOD with 24" wheels crystallized... I figure when I am 60 I should get one of those... the guy is driven and he has a driver and he's around 60 odd years old... classy... if he loses the wheels.

nberry:

Cookie Monster, once your in the program with Ferrari your wait times for the newer models drops considerably. If you get you 458 in 2014 and a new model is introduced in 2015 or so you will be able to get the new model sooner. FWIW, if you're buying a California you should not have to wait until 2014 before you can order a 458. Your dealer can and should do better.

The SLS is something you should explore but I understand there is a wait. It is a totally different car than the California. Less versatile and more performance oriented. I thought the cabin was too small and the hood too long. But its performance number are excellent.

Drive the California before you buy. 

Nick, FWIW, a mercedes priced at the same as a Ferrari... I am not so sure... just like R8 V10...   here's what I think... if you stick to P and F... you can never go wrong... as they say, owning a Ferrari is always an experience of a lifetime isn't it? and same with the ownership of a Porsche... but why would people never think that owning a Mercedes and Audi or BIMMER is an experience of a lifetime? Cos for those, they are less emotional and more passenger oriented car companies. However, I do also see that Porsche is really watering its brand in those directions, more mass, less exclusive and more passenger focused...  but FWIW, selling more cayenne and Panamera will help fund the research on the GT2 RS...  honestly, I think you are right about the 458 once you have a california they will (the dealer did hint at that... but to first get 458 is a lot harder and there are people already putting down their cheques for 458 replacements can you believe this???)... but while everyone says the 458 is so good and hard and fast, the 911 turbo S to come this summer already wipes it out in many aspects I suspect and not to mention the 991 turbo. So the newest and fastest ferrari equivalent to a Scuderia is already wiped out by current Porsche speed wise so if we want speed, we are better off with a GTR. Your Turbo certainly handles speed very well. Also, local testing repeatedly show (I was truly disappointed) that my C4S gets to 100 km/h in 4.28 s (porsche tends to be conservative on acceleration figures) and the California 3 repeated testing shows 0-100 km/h figure in 5.28 range... just have no clue why... 5.28 is considered pretty low... SmileySmiley

Unfortunately, I remain uncertain as to what you are striving for. Obviously, you want change. But I am not clear on what type of change you want. Do you want a car with similar characteristics as your Porsche? Or do you want something that is more performance oriented? Or do you want something that is raw with super performance.

The Cali is similar but a step up from your C4. It has front and back seats with the versatility of a retractable hard top.It has the Ferrari name, styling and sound. it is comfortable to drive.

The performance oriented car would be the 430 and 458. They are true Ferrari's in every sense of the word.More hardcore and yet very drivable but lacking back seats.

If you want raw hardcore the Scuderia is the car. Very performance oriented because its reason for being is track like performance.

Both the Scuderia and 430 are readily available with a lot of their depreciation built. If you bought from a dealer your place to receive the 458 would not be compromised.

The R8 is a terrific car. I have not driven it but all reports are excellent. Beware, from a performance standpoint it is not at the top of the food chain. Even the R8V10 has not performed like the SLS, Lambo Balboni, Turbo and the 458.

--

nberry:

Unfortunately, I remain uncertain as to what you are striving for. Obviously, you want change. But I am not clear on what type of change you want. Do you want a car with similar characteristics as your Porsche? Or do you want something that is more performance oriented? Or do you want something that is raw with super performance.

The Cali is similar but a step up from your C4. It has front and back seats with the versatility of a retractable hard top.It has the Ferrari name, styling and sound. it is comfortable to drive.

The performance oriented car would be the 430 and 458. They are true Ferrari's in every sense of the word.More hardcore and yet very drivable but lacking back seats.

If you want raw hardcore the Scuderia is the car. Very performance oriented because its reason for being is track like performance.

Both the Scuderia and 430 are readily available with a lot of their depreciation built. If you bought from a dealer your place to receive the 458 would not be compromised.

The R8 is a terrific car. I have not driven it but all reports are excellent. Beware, from a performance standpoint it is not at the top of the food chain. Even the R8V10 has not performed like the SLS, Lambo Balboni, Turbo and the 458.

--

Out of the universe of high performance car you mentioned, I think your current turbo is the one that would truly handle better and faster. The turbo 997.2 (without s ... but with s...it is an overkill) will make the SLS seem a bit clownish with its gullwing door. Porsche is really a winner if you want speed.
    I do think you are right though, the California is more me... it has all the attributes of a C4S and it is a step up, with more exclusivity and 2 rear seats and a folding hardtop. I think I am looking for a car that makes me feel more special than a 911... which is defintely a lot more mass these days...  it's a matter of branding. Nonetheless, the 911 is an excellent car but it doesn't do it for me now... but you have always been a Ferrari man and this is my first Ferrari purchase so I should think if the California is the right Ferrari to get as a 1st Ferrari... because you did mention that it was more a cheap Ferrari and while I don't mind... I think the first car you get of any brand will be monumental towards brand loyalty in the future... it will be a make it or break it deal... If I want to own my first Ferrari, I want to own one that will give me the right impression of the brand whatever it may be... but since I have never owned a Ferrari... I am a blank piece of paper... to be enlightened...

Maybe this one can aid your decision-making process:

Hey, all, updates, I have finally decided to go in this Sunday to the dealer for a test drive. They have a bianco avus on RED as demo and I will drive it. I rule out the R8 and the Lambo... as they are never gonna be as practical and coming from Porsche, the next logical and can't go wrong choice is the Ferrari. I justify myself with the Cali purchase more based on the fact that it has the first getrag, first metal folding roof and first V8 Front engine...  the V12 usually takes more hit on depreciation. So this can't be wrong.

I consigned my 911 C4S PDK at Porsche and within a day I got a call from the dealer and was made an offer pending finalization and I said yes. So I will let fate decide on that.

Now I have butterflies in my stomach and it looks like it will be 2011 Jan/Feb Prod. I will have to go in Sun and put in deposit and all... and arrange financing. The C4S PDK stood up well against depreciation because it is still current but the new one will come out next year so it is probably not a bad time to sell it.

Now for colours, I am all excited. The first Ferrari may have to be the usual suspect of Rosso Corsa and Rosso Scuderia (I can't tell which is what and which is more classic) on Black with Yellow Stitchings, Yellow belts and Yellow Calipers. I will just take the basic and 20" Rims (or should I just stick to 19"?) and rest can be skipped... afterall, the car speaks itself already and oh yes, the scuderia shield (which i find oddly interesting that it is an option). I do like Bianco Avus for a change but not sure if it is too faddish and too trendy (as white is really in now) and not sure if White is good as my first Ferrari. I hope that I won't regret this and that I won't miss my 911 C4S PDK. It is a huge purchase for me to spend this much on a car in this economy (afterall, Europe is in bad shape and unemployment is high and bankers are not making as much)...   any suggestion and caveat... ? I think after actually OWNING A FERRARI, then I maybe able to see if I will go back to Porsche like NICK. Before I decide, I know I have always been a Porsche man.

Commit to your purchase. Don't look back. Pick the car YOU like. Enjoy the car!

--

Nick thx. I hope the offer is real on the C4S PDK and I am well on my way to the California... but I can always go back to the 991 Turbo in 2013... or whenever...  but maybe I will love the California so much that I stay true to the Italians... though I had always preferred the shape and look of a 911... it's so engrained in my mind that sports car = 911 and that's the way it should look like... though it's the ugly betty and all personal.

Now here's what I really am down to Bianco Avus on Black or Rosso Corsa on Black. My C4S PDK is a Carrara White but being my first Ferrari, would White be a good pick? I will have to get used to :

1. the semi retro look of the California

2. the red colour if I pick red

3. the fact that it is Italian...

though I did hear that the look grows on you... and hopefully not out...

IMO dark grey and dark blue are amongst the best color choices for the Cali, they suit the character of the car better than reds, but since you are considering white I'd say go for that. ISUK has a white Cali with black interior that to me is the best looking one I've seen so far. The optional 20" wheels make the whole package look more proportionate specially with the top down, so to me that would definitely be a must.

Overall great choice in going for it, its both practical and sporty. and the sound is great too.

I would recommend against black. It hides the lines of the car. White is a terrific color for the California. Iain's CAlifornia is beautiful. I also like the light blue on the California. Red is OK. 

You might want to ask your dealer which colors are best for resale and which are not. Also, be careful with the options. They add up quickly and like Porsche rarely do you get your money back. Often they hinder resale.

--

Enmanuel:

IMO dark grey and dark blue are amongst the best color choices for the Cali, they suit the character of the car better than reds, but since you are considering white I'd say go for that. ISUK has a white Cali with black interior that to me is the best looking one I've seen so far. The optional 20" wheels make the whole package look more proportionate specially with the top down, so to me that would definitely be a must.

Overall great choice in going for it, its both practical and sporty. and the sound is great too.

Mine has a cuoio interior Enmanuel Smiley

Can't go wrong with red/cuoio, or white or light blue exterior.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688410 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408648 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255492 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234739 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773269 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM