Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SLS.....It's Done

nberry  am with you

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Im starting to LOVE this benz a lot. It just feels right. Looks very Mercedes, very clever tech under the skin and beauty as well. Not to mention it's also quite practical.

Really talking about poor visibility because you can't see the cars edges on a sports car forum? 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Autozeitung comparative test result:

1. Porsche

2. Audi

3. Mercedes

Of course this covers a wide range of criteria, so depending on someone's priorities the ranking could be different.

1277635946337autozeitung.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

The long hood will be a problem. The new McLaren has a short down slopping hood as does the Porsche, Gallardo and Ferrari. The SLS hood is not designed for performance for the average driver. Though I did not drive it ,I spent a lot of time in the driver seat and the front view is not good. To me visibility was poor.

Well we have a page full of numbers that say the exact opposite. The SLS handles better than the 2 cars with their engines behind the driver, a mid-engine and a rear-engine. This kills the myth of front engine cars not being sportscars at least for street cars. It's BS.

The only thing the long nose will do is give a few good laughs to people at cars & coffee events when some clueless rich guy pulls up and nails the parking curb with his SLS.Smiley

Tom, I wrote that the average driver would have problems extracting the performance. Your beloved 928 hood is probably 1/3 shorter than the SLS. 

Also, the RWD has the advantage in track performance compared to the AWD. On the other hand, AWD has the advantage in straight line performance.

Sherif, I did not understand your post but I gather it was not complimentary.  FWIW, in your position I also would have ordered the SLS. But after reading more about the McLaren, that is a car I would take a closer look at.

--

nberry, oh it was complimentry

i second your opinion on the post that discusses handling by sitting in an sls without driving it.....

there is no mclren dealer in egypt. unfortuntely neither aston.

nevertheless, for our roads etc the sls is more suited than the mclaren. my focus is more on tourer qualities than the last bit in perfomance.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

why don't you start up a dealership?

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

On the other hand, AWD has the advantage in straight line performance.

Don't think so. Especially above 100 kph, AWD is a liability.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

At a certain point probably over 200 kph I would agree. Not many production cars are beating the 997.2 Turbo in acceleration tests.Smiley THose that do have far more hp and weigh less.Smiley

Sherif, shooklon (spellling?)

--

nberry:

Tom, I wrote that the average driver would have problems extracting the performance. Your beloved 928 hood is probably 1/3 shorter than the SLS. 

Also, the RWD has the advantage in track performance compared to the AWD. On the other hand, AWD has the advantage in straight line performance.

I just did the best rough measurement I could right now, these cars are amazingly similar in specs and components and though the hood is a little longer, the distance from driver head position to absolute front of car is almost identical.

I have always heard the opposite about handling, that AWD had the ability to pull more out of corners and put more power down.

If that is true , now I understand why the 928 failed. Smiley

--

reginos:
    intouch1:

why don't you start up a dealership?

my brother had thought about it...

at the minute volumes these cars would sell here it's hardly worth the effort.

porsche dealership here only got feasible with the intro of the cayenne.

--

Don't know about the laws in Egypt and I barely know the market rules but a combined luxury/performance car dealer could actually have success. Meaning: a dealer who sells various brands of sports cars and high performance SUVs. 

Maybe high performance boats and jet skis (waverunners) too ?  Recently I met in Cocoa Beach a guy who had a supercharged (!) waverunner with over 200 horses.   

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

nberry:

Ha Ha -  GTS's are now selling for more money than 550's, 360's, and 355's etc......   Like the Pannny, the 928 was another victim of Wendells poor decision making.

Head-on collisions like the LFA accident a few days ago exemplify why sitting behind a huge engine is a good thing.

928 battering ram.jpg

I always believed that having a trunk in front of you is better because in a head on crash at high speed you don't get crush by the engine like in a front engine car. The front trunk should act like an extra "airbag"...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium, but your logic is totally flawed, it is backwards.

Drive a car into a wall and the momentum continues forward, meaning the huge engine behind you is a projectile that will hit that wall and squish everything between it and the wall, which includes you. Same goes for a head-on collision Watch mythbusters!!

In the above picture of the 928 powertrain, the porsche engineers have their hands om the Torque tube. It is steel and mates to the rear mounted transmission. It does not crumple, the driver sits above that. the passenger compartment does not crush whether hit from front or rear.

Many real world examples of 928 drivers walking away from deadly/serious head on crashes/impacts. Front engine vehicles with the layout of the 928 are the safest by far.

nberry:

At a certain point probably over 200 kph I would agree. Not many production cars are beating the 997.2 Turbo in acceleration tests.Smiley THose that do have far more hp and weigh less.Smiley

Sherif, shooklon (spellling?)

--

Here is a comparisson test between two very powerful cars with almost identical weight (just 80 lbs between them). A 600 BHP AWD Bentley and a 563 BHP RWD Rolls Royce. The Bentley jumps easier off the line and holds the advantage up to 60 mph (the 100 kph I was talking about). Above that speed though, the Roller has the advantage due to tha lack of the AWD parasitical losses. By 120 mph the Rolls is the clear winner. 

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/download/78995/1983181/version/3/file/CT_2010-Rolls-Royce-Ghost-vs-2010-Bentley-Continental-...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

nberry:

here we go ... 

I believe the results would vary depending on the weight of the cars. The lighter the car the less loss of speed as a result of AWD. The heavier the car the AWD impact is more dramatic. 

--

I dont think that a well build sports car would need AWD at all.  Out of my experience in dry conditions you dont have any advantage, not in corners, not on the run. It always has disadvantages.

It might look different if we talk about family cars in winter or rain conditions!

Lars997:

I dont think that a well build sports car would need AWD at all.  Out of my experience in dry conditions you dont have any advantage, not in corners, not on the run. It always has disadvantages.

It might look different if we talk about family cars in winter or rain conditions!

well, i beg to differ. comparing how my gt2 feels compared to my turbo (ex...it went to it's new owner last saturday....he got the deal of the century. 87.5k $ for a mint 03/2007 turbo with 5200 kms)

the turbo is FAR easier to drive than the gt2. i did stuff with it i dare not try in the gt2 as i knew the 4wd will save my ass Smiley

4wd works magic against oversteer when implemented correctly.

it is almost impossible to break the 997 turbo free.

--

intouch1:

now that i watched that video, it is the closest sound that i heard to my cobra.....

will take some soundclips in the next days....when i can be bothered to drive it

Can you please post pics of your Cobra. It´s my dream car, together with the 1955 Mercedes 300 Gullwing/SL Smiley

J.Seven

there you go:

1277795384607Gouna 22-12-08 103.jpg

1277795404774Gouna 22-12-08 107.jpg

--

Amazing car, Sherif. Absolutely amazing. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

yes in fact it is a very very cool car. but HARD WORK to drive. this is clearly not means of transportation. you take it out for fun when in the mood. you also have to very very careful driving it as it's got stupid power and absolutely no means of assistance either.

the sound of it is like a harley fanclub passing by

--

I drove a classic Corvette Stingray for a whole day a couple of years ago, the engine was brandnew and tuned to over 400 HP, the exhaust sound was out of this world. The owner got ill shortly before a US classic car event, so he gave me his car because there was some sort of beauty competition too and he didn't want to miss it. 

It was a very interesting experience, I loved the sound and the back-to-the-root drive and feel but in the end, such a car would be too much exhausting for me to drive each and every day.

Like you said...you need to be in the mood for it. 

--

I love the cobra, but the F430 in this dark grey metallic is just out of this world! Beaaaautiful!

And the second picture with the perfectly famed cobra and F430 sideview just tells everything! Stunning!

Any order guide in PDF??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688829 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408832 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255585 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234837 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857682 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773581 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM