18m slalom 70.1 kph 67.4 kph
    braking distance (100 kph) 34.6 m 34.6 m
    fuel consumption (per 100km) 17.4 l 18.7
    (curb) weight 1640 kg 1860 kg
    weight front/rear 51.1% /48.9 %     

56.9 % / 43.1 %

Re: Sport Auto Comparison Test: BMW M3 ZCP vs. Audi RS5

5,0 sec time for M3 is too slow, IMO; slower than official data

IMO, 16,0 sec is also slow for 0-200 km/h BUT 0-200 time of 16,5 for RS5 is even slower.

Furthermore, 1640 kg is too heavy as we already know, BUT RS5's additional 220 kg is ridiculous.

Finally, M3 with comp. pack w/DKG on regular Michelin PS2 tires is 0,1 sec faster than regular M3 w/6MT on Michelin cups, on Hockenheim Ring

Thank you for the thread Shakal

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

RS5 is Quattro right?  I would assume that's where it get it's fat on the scale.  I'd take the RS5 but I'm biased.

--
    harrY 2006 Boxster S, Atlas Grey, Black/Black, 6spd

Love to see they do the comparison on a wet tarmac.

I will take the RS5 over the M3 any day for all weather traction.

pride355:

5,0 sec time for M3 is too slow, IMO; slower than official data

IMO, 16,0 sec is also slow for 0-200 km/h BUT 0-200 time of 16,5 for RS5 is even slower.

Furthermore, 1640 kg is too heavy as we already know, BUT RS5's additional 220 kg is ridiculous.

Finally, M3 with comp. pack w/DKG on regular Michelin PS2 tires is 0,1 sec faster than regular M3 w/6MT on Michelin cups, on Hockenheim Ring

Thank you for the thread Shakal

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Suprise is that M3 is also faster on straight line and not only on race track. They also liked ride in the M3 - EDC more that Audi's adaptive suspension. Also M3 test car was 10.000 EUR cheaper than RS5.

Some additional results:

in-gear acceleration 4th/5th/6th/7th 4th/5th/6th/7th
    80 - 100 kph 2.1s/2.6s/3.1s/4.2s 2.6s/3.4s/4.2s/5.5s
    80 - 120 kph 4.4s/5.4s/6.1s/8.1s 5.1s/6.7s/8.6s/10.8s
    80 - 140 kph 6.6s/8.2s/9.3s/12.0s 7.7s/9.8s/12.9s/16.6s
    80 - 160 kph 8.9s/11.0s/12.8s/16.3s 10.4s/13.1s/17.2s/22.6s
    80 - 180 kph 11.4s/14.2s/16.8s/20.9s 13.4s/16.7s/22.2s/29.4s

Smiley

Shakal:

Some additional results:

80 - 180 kph 11.4s/14.2s/16.8s/20.9s 13.4s/16.7s/22.2s/29.4s

Smiley

Thank you ShakalSmiley

I assume the M3 figures are on the left and the RS5 on the rightSmiley

Damn that RS5 is slow, a 335i with DCT could almost keep up with this. The RS5 figure in 7th gear from 80-180 kph is just ridicolous compared to the M3Smiley

And the M3 figure of 5,4 sec from 80-120 kph in 5th gear is very impressiveSmiley As a comparison the figures for the 997.2 Carrera S are 5,9 sec (manual) and 6,4 sec (PDK). And the 997.2 GT3 does it in 5,3 sec (manual), only 0,1 sec faster than the M3Smiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Here's a very nice M3 ZHP video, listen to the sound (of music) when he takes off from the red light at app 0:50Smiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Tim,

RS5 S tronic is using 7th gear as overdrive. M3s M-DKG is using 7th as normal power gear(the same setup for this Getrag DCT on California, 458 Italia and SLS AMG. For example ZF sourced PDK is also using 7th as overdrive on 997.2 and Panamera models).

I agree with you-RS5 is a dissapointment overall. It is way too heavy car IMHO.

RS5 is dissapointment... Sorry, guys

artur777:
    RS5 is dissapointment... Sorry, guys

Why a disappointment ? 0-200 kph in 16.5 seconds is slow ? 0-100 kph in 4.7 seconds is slow ? Oh...wait...this is the very same performance data of my X5 M...a truckSmiley

Honestly: I still think that the RS5 is a good performer, look at the 450 HP power figure (the RS6 has 130 horses more) and the price tag. The RS5 is 30000 EUR cheaper than the RS6.

Of course I would have wished for a RS5 with the very same RS6 engine and 580 HP but I guess Audi didn't want to create a much cheaper direct competition for the R8.

Also: the RS5 has a "normally aspirated" engine which also results in a very nice exhaust/engine sound, not as loud and nice as on the M3 but almost.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Thanx for posting a video temm Yes, M3 figures are on the left side. I expected RS5 to be much closer to M3 since Audi had 3 years time to produce a M3 killer, but looks like they failed..

Full table:

E92 M3 RS5
    0-100 kph 5.0 s 4.7 s
    0-200 kph 16.0 s 16.5 s
    Hockenheim 1:14.2 min 1:15.3 min
    18m slalom 70.1 kph 67.4 kph
    braking distance (100 kph) 34.6 m 34.6 m
    fuel consumption (l per 100km) 17.4 l 18.7 l
    (curb) weight 1640 kg 1816 kg
    weight front/rear 51.1% /48.9 % 56.9 % / 43.1 %

80 - 180 kph 11.4s/14.2s/16.8s/20.9s        13.4s/16.7s/22.2s/29.4s

weight of RS5 1860 or 1816 kg? I remember that weight difference between the 2 is 220 kg which puts the RS5 1860 kg on the scale.
    --

ONUR

I'm sorry but the BMW will take the cake as a better drivers car im sure. Better handling, better feel, and faster! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Shakal:

since Audi had 3 years time to produce a M3 killer, but looks like they failed..

I doubt that they ever wanted that, they just needed a powerful and nice sounding coupe and they got it. Audi drivers are not really performance but very comfort oriented, at least this is the experience I made in the past.

I love how the RS5 looks but I also expected the RS6 engine coming with it. I guess that Audi really didn't want to hurt R8 sales or maybe they are keeping the RS6 engine for the "last edition". Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Well, after I sold my Audi TTS coupe, I was on the market for a new car.

Since, RS5 and M3 coupe were both in the same segment, I had considered both cars.

They both have V8 with over 400 hp; they are top of their based model; they both have latest engineering tech. of their brand.

The biggest difference between the two is their philosophy which seperate them apart.

M3, especially with the factory comp. pack option, is the most sporty, best handling, and fun car in "sports sedan category".

On the other hand, RS5 is all year weather proof, sporty, quality, fast GT Car. Its 4 WD makes it the perfect all arounder, and DD for every kind of weather during the year BUT it takes away the M3 style fun factor.

So, in the end, I go for more sportines and fun factor. RS5 has a better interior, IMO, (I still cannot like idrive screen and plastic lower part of the dash) and more of a GT with its 4WD and comfortable heavy chassie.

On the other hand, I find exterior of M3 more sexy, brutal, and macho.

What suprised me most is the performance result of the 2 cars. When I choose M3, I accept that RS5 would perform slightly better due to more engine power and faster, so called, Audi 7 speed DSG.

However, the HUGE weight difference and more power loss in drivetrain of Quattro make RS5 the slower car.

One, cannot go wrong with neither of the choices; BUT after seeing the performance difference of the 2 cars, I'm more happy to go with the M3.

Since my 50 kg (110 lbs) diet is ready for my car, I'm glad that my M3 will be around 1560 kg at the scales with half full tank without me

--

ONUR

Meh, I never liked the RS5 anyway. I think the more aggressive look is ugly. I think the S5 Coupe is really nice and looks exactly how a car in that niche/range should. RS5 is too expensive for what you get.

Skip the RS5, save a tad more and buy a high mileage R8 V8. I've seen some good deals on high mileage R8 V8's in Europe.

The R8 is too "flashy" for Germany and other markets. The RS5 is a good alternative, so is the RS6. You have seen some good deals on used R8 in Europe simply because they don't sell too well. In the current economy, nobody really wants to drive a flashy car.

Example: during an introduction to the new BMW X3 to the press, one BMW employee said that they built the X3 top models (306 HP fuel and Diesel engines) specifically for people in Europe who don't want their neighbor to see that they're driving a 80000 EUR car (top model). It is sad but a reality.

You just can't "afford" to drive the R8 over here in Germany, especially not if you're living in a city with lots of workers and people with lower income.

--

Hmm...

My first cousin lives in Stuttgart and works for prominent German company. His feelings about flashy cars are little bit different then yours Christian... There is a lot of "old money" in Germany...

On my market for example story is also different-here most big SUVs(X5/X6/ML/GL/Cayenne etc) are drived by "strange" people... Same thing about big BMW and Mercedes models(7er and S class)... Usual colors are white and black-both combined with beige leather. 

It is more politically correct to drive GT-R  then X6M on my market, go figure... Or more interesting, if you drive debadged M3 in Silver nobody will notice you...

KresoF1:

Hmm...

My first cousin lives in Stuttgart and works for prominent German company. His feelings about flashy cars are little bit different then yours Christian... There is a lot of "old money" in Germany...

Not sure I get this thing with "old money" in Germany? Smiley

--

RC:
    KresoF1:

Hmm...

German families that were fluent for generations.

KresoF1:
    RC:
    KresoF1:

Hmm...

Really rich people can afford driving flashing cars because they don't have to care about neighbors, their kids or their customers. Wealthy people, like me, need to take in account feelings and thoughts of those around them because we usually live in urban areas with neighbors and customers who aren't that fortunate. Huge difference.

Some people need to care, others can afford not to care. Having a lot of money and no kids usually makes it easier not to care. Smiley

You need to live here to understand the difference.

Btw: those who show most envy in Germany aren't usually really poor people but those who have a nice little house and a nice little car. Envy is more common over here among those who already have something but don't understand why others have much more. Smiley

Also the Youth is very envious but I guess this comes from the parents.

--

RC:
    KresoF1:
    RC:
    KresoF1:

Hmm...

Really rich people can afford driving flashing cars because they don't have to care about neighbors, their kids or their customers. Wealthy people, like me, need to take in account feelings and thoughts of those around them because we usually live in urban areas with neighbors and customers who aren't that fortunate. Huge difference.

Some people need to care, others can afford not to care. Having a lot of money and no kids usually makes it easier not to care. Smiley

You need to live here to understand the difference.

Btw: those who show most envy in Germany aren't usually really poor people but those who have a nice little house and a nice little car. Envy is more common over here among those who already have something but don't understand why others have much more. Smiley

Also the Youth is very envious but I guess this comes from the parents.

--

I fully agree with you. And I understand what you are saying.

More or less here where I live situation is the same. Even fluent people are thinking hard about what car to drive. Belive it or not Mercedes SLS AMG is more acceptable then Ferrari 458 Italia for example.

A Mercedes SLS would also be much more acceptable over here than a Ferrari 458 Italia. This may be the reason why it seems to sell that well (at least this is what my sales person claims). 

Btw: the new Porsche Cayenne is on the market for over a month now but I haven't seen a single car on the street so far. Only one Panamera S is driving around in my city, I recognize him always by the license plate. I can still spot lots of 911 but more Boxsters than in the past.

Honestly...it is more and more difficult to spot an expensive car in my city and when I recognize them (Audi RS6, BMW X6 M, BMW 760i, etc.), they are usually de-badged. Haven't seen a Ferrari for two months over here but I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo, black, with red dealer license plates.

I live in a town with lots of workers and foreigners, 60% have a migration background like we say here. Even a BMW X5 almost stands out from the crowd...almost. 

--

Regarding new Cayenne... It is not that flashy IMHO. I saw white and black Cayenne Turbo at my Porsche dealer. He told me that inital interest in good. BUT, he also told me that around 30% of former Cayenne buyers swithced as you to X5/X6 fraction.

Personally, I would go for new Touareg V8 TDI as family car. BUT, my wife ideas are different... Since she and our baby will be in it I must respect her wishes...

KresoF1:

Regarding new Cayenne... It is not that flashy IMHO. I saw white and black Cayenne Turbo at my Porsche dealer. He told me that inital interest in good. BUT, he also told me that around 30% of former Cayenne buyers swithced as you to X5/X6 fraction.

Personally, I would go for new Touareg V8 TDI as family car. BUT, my wife ideas are different... Since she and our baby will be in it I must respect her wishes...

Actually new land rover discovery 4 is my favorite "wife car" along with X6. I don't have a wife, though.
    --

ONUR

RC:

A Mercedes SLS would also be much more acceptable over here than a Ferrari 458 Italia. This may be the reason why it seems to sell that well (at least this is what my sales person claims). 

The other day I was in town with a friend ( a German doctor ) and an SLS passed by. I said..''woaw look at that car''...he replied : but it's just a Mercedes !  

He could not see anything special in it Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

For every jealous person you may offend, there is one person who thinks your car is awesome, 100 people who don't have any interest in cars other than getting from A to B, and 1000 beautiful women who don't even know what a car is.

The unemployment rate where I live is probably near 20% and my car is more expensive than the homes by which it's always parked. No one cares.

Drive and enjoy ;)

P.S. I'd also buy a Toureg over a Cayenne. Same thing, much cheaper, less common. I see at least 10 Cayennes a day. No thanks.

wedouglas:

The unemployment rate where I live is probably near 20% and my car is more expensive than the homes by which it's always parked. No one cares.

Are you sure they don't care ? I have the "advantage" to get an immediate "feedback" through neighbors (can't really avoid them since my wife is the family doctor of some) and what is worse...through my kids. They go to school nearby and their classmates too, so I know what their parents are thinking and saying. Kids...they can't keep their mouths shut. Smiley

My daugther got mobbed at school a couple of times by kids who said that her parents are rich. Trust me, when you kid comes home crying, you care. She learned not to care anymore and we spoke to the parents of these kids to make them stop but what is even more shameful, some of these kids are my wife's patients. My wife threatened the parents that she won't be their doctor anymore, apparently this helped but this is not something you would call a pleasant situation.

Oh, did I tell you the recent story about one of my customers ? Yesterday, his daughter came to me to get something for her kid. I asked her if her father is alright, he is a local law university professor, because I haven't seen him at my business for quite a while. She told me that she's sorry but her father goes to a different business now. When I asked her why, she said that he felt annoyed...and now please hold your breath...by the sound of my BMW M3 Cab. He doesn't want to take his business to "street rowdies". Smiley

Background: I once went to work in my wife's M3 Cab because she needed the X5 M family car and this professor was just on the boardwalk when I parked the car in front of my business. I wondered why he asked me if I like driving fast but the M3 exhaust is very loud and I was only going 20 in a 30 zone (especially since I know how sensible people over here are about speed and fancy cars).

Bottom line is: I lost a good customer because of the M3 exhaust sound, this is something I would have never ever imagined possible. My kid gets mobbed by the very same kids who are well because of my wife's skills.

Welcome to Germany.

Btw: I would give a sh.t if I wouldn't have kids but with kids, everything you do as a parent has direct consequences for the kids too in a way or another.

The media over here in Germany tells people each and every day how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, there is such an unpleasant social atmosphere over here, you just can't imagine. It may be different in certain regions but I live in a region with a high percentage of lower class people, so do the math.

Check out these links (german media):

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article1098388/Warum_die_Reichen_immer_reicher_werden.html

http://www.focus.de/finanzen/news/studie_aid_227583.html

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/wirtschaft/die-reichen-werden-immer-reicher/828620.html

http://www.fr-online.de/top_news/1663126_Die-Reichen-werden-reicher.html

http://www.das-weisse-pferd.com/98_19/entwicklungsbericht_uno.html

http://www.focus.de/finanzen/news/deutschland-die-armen-werden-immer-aermer-und-die-reichen-immer-reicher_aid_519646.html

http://www.arte.tv/de/Die-Welt-verstehen/Managergehaelter-und-Hungerloehne/Kluft-zwischen-Arm-und-Reich-immer-groesser/2295888.html

As you can see, the german media is very pre-occupied with the "rich" and the "poor". Smiley

You get the same stuff on TV 24/7 in the past years.

--

Could it be just your small-ish town RC? I can't imagine such things happening in Berlin or Munich for example but then again I haven't visited Germany in a long time.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I can see RC's point,, jealousy is here in the UK in abundance...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690797 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256152 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235372 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858723 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775018 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM