Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SLS.....It's Done

I have placed my order for a 2011 SLS AMG.

The night before placing the order I was going to change my mind to a 2011 Trurbo S Conv. PDK but sense got the better of me and I am sticking to the SLS.

So far it looks like 11/2010 production.

Paint 048 Designo Mystic white

Upholstery 507 Designo Exclsuive leather Classic Red

Standard 7 spoke wheels.

added:

rear view camera

carbon interior extended package

multimedi interface

memory package

carbon mirrors

B&O Beosound

Unfortuntely not a cent discount as demand in all markets is very strong.......

i found  buyer for my 5400 km 2007 turbo and the GT2 is staying.

this way i will also be looking forard to what the 991 brings and m potntially interested in either  991 convertible or the turbo when that is released in 3 years time...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Re: SLS.....It's Done

Congratulations, Sherif !  You still have the GT2...it really doesn't make sense to get a 997 Turbo S Cab. Unless of course you love drag racing...the 997 Turbo S PDK does 0-100 kph in 3 seconds sharp without a sweat. Not many cars can do that.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Great to hear you made the choice, Its a very impressive car in the flesh, and your color combo will be perfection on this car . Now the long waiting period begins 

congrats the SLS is a niche machine. It has a lot of class and road presence, i think its a really good turbo replacement for the time being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG3-mw-mG_8

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Yes, you made the right decision. Congratulations

--

Slow In, Fast Out

While I won't say that it's a better car, but I think you made a good choice. Being that you already have a TT and a GT2, getting a TTS doesn't make much sense even if it is vastly improved.

As for the discount, I'm not sure how well they are selling over here. I heard there are a few still sitting at the dealers, which makes me question it's popularity. It's usually not a good sign when a car as completely new and unique as the SLS doesn't have a wait list.

i have checked with some dealers in germany through a friend. no more allocations for this year.

mercedes egypt have actually no allocation either but they will try to push for a vip order and as said proposed a november build.

all allocations for th middle east are gone. i guess they sell like hot cakes in dubai etc...

while i have never been a mercedes guy, the sls ticked a few boxes for me. hopefully it has none of that boat feel my friend's sl55 had !

and in the end, i am actually buying a set of doors

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

CONGRATS ! Fantastic choice 

DSC_2577.jpg

DSC_2588.jpg

how many times do you anticipate smacking the back of your head getting in and out?

racerx:

how many times do you anticipate smacking the back of your head getting in and out?

Smacking your head is only a problem when getting in, when getting out your problem is, well, getting out. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

That's interesting news Smiley Many congrats - I am already very interested in your driving impressions Smiley 

no pain no gain

--

Rossi:

Smacking your head is only a problem when getting in, when getting out your problem is, well, getting out. Smiley

He is still young...he can do it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

well, exiting sports cars certainly does 'feel' different than 5 years go

--

RC:
    Rossi:

Did you drive one? Than we talk again. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:
    Rossi:

Did you drive one? Than we talk again. Smiley

Heeheee Smiley

Good choice Sherif Smiley

I like the color combo. I would have chosen SLS over 911 Turbo S if I were in your shoes, which means if I had a GT2 already.

However, I would have sold the GT2 and keep the Turbo and would buy 458 Italia instead of SLS Smiley I know, I know, everyone has different perspective.

Enjoy it in good health Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

thanks everyone for your kind comments.

depending on what Mercedes or in this case AMG plan for this car in the future it might actually turn out to be a keeper.

somehow juat as 993's have turned out to be keepers rather than 996/7's.

i don't really care if there will be a black series, as this car is really a tourer/daily-driver rather than a track oriented car.

if someone told me 5 years ago that i'd be driving a merc sometime, i would have called them nuts.

to me the only natural competitor to the sls is in fact the turbo and that is another 3-4 years way t this point.

i have spoken to many a car enthusiast and quite  few feel that this is the best offering currently on the market. taking into consideration, that the 997 is at end of life-cycle ofcourse.

--

Congrats Sherif!

Excellent choice IMHO. SLS AMG is by far the best and the sportiest Mercedes ever.

I am still thinking about it...

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the SLS a conglomeration of present technology that exist on MB cars? I don't believe there is anything new incorporated into the car. 

I am curious how someone can go from a Porsche to the SLS with its elongated hood? The hood is very long compared to other sport cars. When I sat in it (I am 5' 11") my feeling was there is no way I could drive this car in a spirited fashion. It is good for straight line driving but taking corners and curves would at least to me be very uncomfortable.

I haven't driven it but a member of my club who has one (an ugly grey) who has owned MB many years said this is the best MB yet.

--

The SLS seems to be for Mercedes what the R8 has been for Audi, a completely different animal than the respective sedans...

Congratulations on the car, looking forward to your comments in the upcoming months. Buying a car without trying it first takes some determination, especially when it comes with a significant pricetag...

nberry:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the SLS a conglomeration of present technology that exist on MB cars? I don't believe there is anything new incorporated into the car. 

I am curious how someone can go from a Porsche to the SLS with its elongated hood? The hood is very long compared to other sport cars. When I sat in it (I am 5' 11") my feeling was there is no way I could drive this car in a spirited fashion. It is good for straight line driving but taking corners and curves would at least to me be very uncomfortable.

I haven't driven it but a member of my club who has one (an ugly grey) who has owned MB many years said this is the best MB yet.

Well, you are wrong-sorry to say this.

SLS is the first Mercedes car that use proper DCT(sourced from Getrag-similar to gearbox used in California/458 Italia). There are several key elements in overall technical design that are first time for Mercedes as well(suspension construction, gearbox position etc.).

BUT, SLS drives excellent! It is a proper sportscar. It can wipe out the floor with Ferrari California and it is as fast on the Ring as 997.2 Turbo S just, SLS use standard tires.

SLS offers truly excellent drive dynamics and really drives well, at least that is my impression after test drive.

What I definitely do not like on SLS? Gullwing doors, they are PITA to handle in my opinion.

I'm curious if AMG will produce a better-faster SLS with M.Schumacher know-how.

When Schumacher transfered to Mercedes from Ferrari, he also brings all of his knowladge for the last 15 years at Ferrari. I believe Schumacher has too much input in road cars of 360 CS, 430, Scuderia, 599, 599 GTO, 458.

Now, this experience is owned by Mercedes and I suspect we might see an EVO model of SLS.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

let me share some pros/cons after +1000 km driving the SLS

Pros :

- best sound ever - if you drive in M (manual) it blips for every downshift and spits and rumbles like no car I have driven before including other AMG models. You can buy it for the sound alone and be happy with it.

- Grip : absolutely on par with anything I personally have ever driven - (I haven't driven a 458 yet) Despite it's lenght its a front-mid engine concept and has unbelievable grip and feels totally neutral. I have not driven on a track so cannot judge trackbehavior but trust me in saying it's on the same level as anything you can buy in the same price range. (lambo , TT & Ferrari 430 at least)

- Comfort : it feels like a suit and anybody who drove it so far has commented the same that it has a "snugg" feeling and it feels like wearing a suit. Absolut top comfort without being to hard. Leather and finishing is top level and much better than all 911 - or par with the new cayenne.

- Doors : despite all comments here you bump you're head only twice - after than it's intuitive and even my wife just hold the handle while entering and just taking the door down in one flow. It's the coolest doors when open or when entering in a small parking as upwards is always space...

Neg:

B&O : I would cancel it - I have B&O all over at home but I was disappointed by its sound. the Sub's vibrated behind the seats terribly - but the front end speakers have led and look nice in the evening

storage : there is no storage in the doors and on the middletunnel only little space - however , behind seats and trunk has good space. However all items in the trunk get extremely hot due to the exhaust

summary :

to me the best "daily" sportscar you can buy and as stated worth to buy alone for the sound. also depreciation costs are estimated to be extremely low. Anybody who hasn't driven one should really get their hands on it to compare !

Congrats intouch1! Please post many photos when you take delivery!

I'm so tempted to order one as well, but I must be patient and wait for the BS  version

congrats, was just in one in stockholm a red one ...it has a lot more presence of any porsche turbo, so you hade made the best choiche...it is an astonishing car....i love it.....

--
    993 c2

BjoernB:

let me share some pros/cons after +1000 km driving the SLS

So that´s your way of telling us about your new acquisition? Congratulations... Smiley

KresoF1:

SLS is the first Mercedes car that use proper DCT(sourced from Getrag-similar to gearbox used in California/458 Italia). There are several key elements in overall technical design that are first time for Mercedes as well(suspension construction, gearbox position etc.).

As far as I remember this must be the first automated gearbox that Mercedes sources from a separate manufacturer (possibly excluding the A-class automatics and smg-style systems a few years ago). That along is worth mentioning.

AMG did a decent job on the Black Series models in terms of performance (as much as the base car could handle) and most likely had the assignment to show McLaren that they can develop a proper sportscar without them as well... Smiley

Ferdie:

.... and most likely had the assignment to show McLaren that they can develop a proper sportscar without them as well... Smiley

Actually, I prefer SLS over Mclaren SLR, any time and I see the SLS as the better car of the 2; I never liked the SLR, anyway.

--

ONUR

we need to remember, that this car is an AMG. not a mercedes. it only uses mercedes gauges, knobs etc. but the chassis, layout and driveline are pure AMG and they wanted to get it right. from what i've read and heard it handles on par with any other sportscar and the weight distribution is 43:57. better then a 997 IIRC.

as for testdriving it: unfortunately all the recent cars i have bought were untested.....as none are available localy for testdrives.

then again, this takes anticipation to a whole new level as you are really looking forward to that first experience as a whole.

based on all the info i have on the sls and the feedback i got from friends there is hardly anything hinting at this being a 'wrong' decision.

the car actually ticks many boxes for me and yes the doors are a big part of that.

woulkd this car not have the top hinged doors, i would not have considered it. that is wha i would not wait for the convertible.

it is a hommage to the original sl just as much as the ford gt is a hommage to the gt40 and i knocked myself many times for not having gotten a ford gt....despite disliking american cars.

--

Well done intouch! 

I guess this will be the first and only SLS in Egypt for a while!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM